• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

I check dealer websites everyday for new offerings...why are so many GEC dealers not updating new inventory? Getting tired of seeing the same knives available for months.

Looks like Kifer Cutlery Classics is only selling there new stock knives as auctions on eBay.

I check dealer websites everyday for new offerings...why are so many GEC dealers not updating new inventory? Getting tired of seeing the same knives available for months.

Looks like Kifer Cutlery Classics is only selling there new stock knives as auctions on eBay.
GEC does not ship everything at the same time.

I honestly don’t see how GEC is ok with this. They have been doing this for a while- I noticed with the 93 release. What if every GEC dealer put their inventory only for bid on eBay?

I honestly don’t see how GEC is ok with this. They have been doing this for a while- I noticed with the 93 release. What if every GEC dealer put their inventory only for bid on eBay?
Getting dealer discounts, then selling them at second market prices! Kifer won't be getting my business.

Getting dealer discounts, then selling them at second market prices! Kifer won't be getting my business.
Simple math shows that Kifer’s eBay starting price is retail plus eBay/PayPal fees. Secondary market prices are at least retail +50%. Usually more.

Simple math shows that Kifer’s eBay starting price is retail plus eBay/PayPal fees. Secondary market prices are at least retail +50%. Usually more.
It's not a "Buy It Now" price...That's the starting bid. Who knows what the final price will be.

It's the auction part that is turning away customers.

It's not a "Buy It Now" price...That's the starting bid. Who knows what the final price will be.

Agree.
It’s a dealer doing this with brand new stock.

That seems nuts to sell on eBay. Those hot drops like the Humpback Whittler sell out in like 5-10 minutes.

The shop just has to run the shipping and packing like an assembly line and get them all out the door at once. eBay is waiting 3-5 days for each auction to end and then starting.

That seems nuts to sell on eBay. Those hot drops like the Humpback Whittler sell out in like 5-10 minutes.

The shop just has to run the shipping and packing like an assembly line and get them all out the door at once. eBay is waiting 3-5 days for each auction to end and then starting.

And in that time the hot drops have all sold out and where's the only place left to buy? Bid away...

I just bought something from eBay a few weeks ago- a hinderer. I was charged tax on it. Guess that’s the norm in eBay now.

Yes, that is what I said. Starting price and who pays what is their business.

I just bought something from eBay a few weeks ago- a hinderer. I was charged tax on it. Guess that’s the norm in eBay now.
Depends on your state of residence.

Ebay fees the sellers to death. I have no problem with Kifer selling that way.

It depends on the state. The Supreme Court ruled that states can now charge taxes on internet sales. Over 30 states are charging it now. Government is greedy.

Ebay fees the sellers to death. I have no problem with Kifer selling that way.
Not so much. Depends on the market. For instance, I recently sold a knife on eBay for about 30% more (including their fees) than I could have gotten
for it here. The market reacted in my favor that time. In general my experience has been that one will most usually make significantly profit selling on eBay than BF.

Not so much. Depends on the market. For instance, I recently sold a knife on eBay for about 30% more (including their fees) than I could have gotten
for it here. The market reacted in my favor that time. In general my experience has been that one will most usually make significantly profit selling on eBay than BF.

Hopefully you listed it here first, before taking your GEC knife to fleabay.

Back