Great Music/Traditional Music

Pick up or download Tony Furtado's Bare Bones.

[youtube]M-6f6vFcKTk[/youtube]

[youtube]GmbbnSkqBOg[/youtube]

[youtube]INJVGjvkx80[/youtube]

Larry Johnson, Fast & Funky, 1971 Blue Goose LP reissued in 1996 by the Baltimore Blues Society. Outstanding Gary Davis disciple.

[youtube]WSOEfILM1bo[/youtube]

[youtube]aHPl2Zyw_68[/youtube]

[youtube]6v_OKZcawWk[/youtube]

Just about all I listen to is trad. Well, Irish, Scottish, Breton & Galician trad anyway:

[youtube]s0RInGkoMQk[/youtube]

[youtube]MnBBQ-_D2Hc[/youtube]

[youtube]X2hEWU1Rq4I[/youtube]

[youtube]fZiSTBJumMQ[/youtube]

Occasionally some other stuff will creep in there too:

[youtube]A6tVU--Cbes[/youtube]

[youtube]iJS3ZTf-sWI[/youtube]

More at my youtube channel. :)

Just about all I listen to is trad. Well, Irish, Scottish, Breton & Galician trad anyway:

[youtube]X2hEWU1Rq4I[/youtube]

Damn you! Homesick is back. I've left the country a long time ago with no hope to go back. Kornog is my all time favorite Breton band.

dantzk.

Damn you! Homesick is back. I've left the country a long time ago with no hope to go back. Kornog is my all time favorite Breton band.

dantzk.

I've never been, but desperately want to go. Same goes for Galicia. I can't wait to go someday. :)

I play irish flute. My teacher, John Skelton (who also knows Jean-Michel), plays bombarde and the veuze as well (he's spent a lot of time in Brittany) - he feeds us breton tunes now and then. It's beautiful, ancient music.

As a flute player, all I can say is that Jean-Michel Veillon may be the best simple-system flute player alive today. :thumbup:

ETA: There's a bunch of Kornog (and other Breton music) on youtube.

How 'bout one more - a Galician playing a Breton tune. :)

I love this an dro:

[youtube]zkYBC0rJzf4[/youtube]

Last edited:
Buckeye,

I hope you will have the occasion to visit Brittany; you will be welcome, playing irish flute will give you the kelt brother status . I'm native of the western part, Brest is my town. Even if i don't only listen to breton, irish, scottish and galician music, my first musical souvenirs are bagads (breton hornpipes bands) coming down the main street once a year. It leaves an indelible mark!

Thanks for the videos, even if i feel a bit sad when i listen that music, it makes me blue.

I wish you the best.

dantzk.

How 'bout one more - a Galician playing a Breton tune. :)

I love this an dro:

[youtube]zkYBC0rJzf4[/youtube]

An dro, a tour or a round, i don't know the exact translation, it's a popular dance. You are right, this version is amazing. Breton musicians don't play it in such a sophisticated way. Breton music was often played "straight" with a coarse sound. Carlos Nunez is definatly great, before him we didn't have any clue there was a galician music which was so close to our's.

Do you know Jacques Pellen, the Molard brothers, Erik Marchand ?

dantzk.

I've heard the names and heard a bit from Erik Marchand, Alain Stivell also. I'm checking out the Molards now - I found a great video with some cool Biniou Kozh playing. :)

[youtube]lAaQRuiEE9E[/youtube]

I really need to go to the music festivals in Lorient and Ortigueira one of these days.

One of my favorite memories from a music festival here years ago is John getting the crowd together and showing everyone how to dance an an dro. There had to have been 100 people in a huge circle dancing while John and his band played. The music, the summer night air and everyone dancing was such a neat scene.

For anyone else that stumbles into the thread and wonders what dantzk8 and I are on about - most people associate "celtic" music with Ireland and Scotland. There are other places though that are also considered "celtic" regions - Wales, Cornwall and the Isle of Man in the UK and also Brittany in France and Galicia and Asturies in Spain.

Linguistically, the Breton language is part of the Brythonic languages and is related to Welsh and Cornish. Irish, Scots and Manx Gaelic are part of the Goidelic (Gaelic) languages. All are considered "celtic" cultures. The original "celtic" language of the Iberian celts was all but wiped out during the Roman occupation of the Iberian Peninsula.

It's common these days for musicians who play traditional music from those areas (and anywhere their descendants have ended up) to play the occasional tune from all of these different traditions.

It's very cool. :)

One of my favorite memories from a music festival here years ago is John getting the crowd together and showing everyone how to dance an an dro. There had to have been 100 people in a huge circle dancing while John and his band played. The music, the summer night air and everyone dancing was such a neat scene.

Do you mean 100 dancing an an dro in Ohio? Holding themselves by the pinkie?

This world is changing.

Give a listen to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXnN_TcPNlA

dantzk.

I always include some Celtic folk songs in my live set. Love the Trad.

Be sure to check out a Kerry lass named Pauline Scanlon-truly exceptional!:D

Some more Galician and Asturian music:

[youtube]3EBHtlIePMk[/youtube]

[youtube]9RYNOdy3M9c[/youtube]

If you like John Fahey, you should like Leo Kottke. Contemporaries, they were at the time considered "Americana" artists as they had developed a distinctive approach to the guitar.
Leo has a wide variety of material ranging from his own distinctive instrumental compositions to interpretations of a lot of different traditional and contemporary songs.

One more for dantzk. Here's Skelton on the veuze:

[youtube]qKt7u-0c78Y[/youtube]

...and here's something more American. :)

I'm a big fan of OCMS and Gillian Welch. I love their old-time music influenced cover of this classic from The Band:

[youtube]zXf-SuBbJa0[/youtube]

Back