Great songs, Good songs, and ones that'll do.

I offer no explanation, but I think this kid has some genius. I may need an MRI.

My favorite cowboy song, covered by The Dead. Great story, even better story about the song's origin. Written by John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas, when he was so wasted he didn't remember writing it until he started getting royalty checks from Joni Mitchell, who also covered it.

How was the concert?

Hi Mitch, the concert was terrific, thank you for asking. I never thought I would get to see him perform. I am glad for the experience.

The exact setlist isn't posted, it is similar to this (I know there are some differences because he played "Dear Abby"): https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-prine/2018/celebrity-theatre-phoenix-az-33949cb1.html .

We were in the 5th row, so about 30 feet away. He played a lot, if not all of his new album, "The Tree of Forgiveness". It is an excellent album, and along with a couple of the songs, received Grammy nominations (Americana). A few classics were sacrificed, but that's ok. His band is very good; John Paul White opened and pitched in on a few songs.

The whole show was a lot of fun, I think a little short of two hours. I particularly enjoyed "Crazy Bone", "Lake Marie", and "Paradise". His voice held up pretty well, he said at one point that he felt like Froggy the Gremlin - not sure if he was possibly fighting a cold.

I'll check the thread and replace if already posted...

Hi Mitch, the concert was terrific, thank you for asking. I never thought I would get to see him perform. I am glad for the experience.

The exact setlist isn't posted, it is similar to this (I know there are some differences because he played "Dear Abby"): https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-prine/2018/celebrity-theatre-phoenix-az-33949cb1.html .

We were in the 5th row, so about 30 feet away. He played a lot, if not all of his new album, "The Tree of Forgiveness". It is an excellent album, and along with a couple of the songs, received Grammy nominations (Americana). A few classics were sacrificed, but that's ok. His band is very good; John Paul White opened and pitched in on a few songs.

The whole show was a lot of fun, I think a little short of two hours. I particularly enjoyed "Crazy Bone", "Lake Marie", and "Paradise". His voice held up pretty well, he said at one point that he felt like Froggy the Gremlin - not sure if he was possibly fighting a cold.

I'll check the thread and replace if already posted...

Glad you made it, and it was a good show!
He's getting up there, don't know how much longer he'll be touring, but he does put on a great show, so glad you got to see him.

He was with Iris DeMent when I saw him, this video looks like the tour that we saw.

"That makes me, uh, Opie's stepbrother." Brilliant!

Dang, this thread has some good tunes! I guess I'm good on "Crazy Bone". So I'll double down and offer early holiday wishes. Saw REK here last weekend (he and Lyle Lovett opened for George Strait).

"That makes me, uh, Opie's stepbrother." Brilliant!
He has a way with words, who else could write lyrics like
"Bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down... and won"

Saw REK here last weekend (he and Lyle Lovett opened for George Strait).
Bet that was good as well!
Dang, he's looking old!

I liked Lyle Lovett did a good job on this Townes Van Zandt song with Steve Earle.

Doubles are fine, sounds like you had fun at the concert, I really need to see him sometime.

It's great that he's still writing songs and doing concerts, especially after surgery for throat cancer. I love this line....

"I'm gonna smoke a cigarette that's nine miles long
"

I need to learn some of his new stuff, soon as I can hold the damn guitar. I can do Hello in There, and Angel From Montgomery, and his version of Clay Pigeons, but that's it so far.

John, you better hurry, he's getting old.
I missed a lot of players, now they're gone. SRV, Allman Brothers etc...

This is true, I'd like to see him and Dylan one day but I know that won't happen.

Interesting video for Prine fans. I'd always heard Kristofferson found him and told Paul Anka to get him a contract.

Back