Green Beret 5.5 opinions

Howdy,
Looking at a 5.5 inch Green Beret for a general belt/field knife, but I have a few questions:

1. I've got an Inkosi, which I love, but I notice the S35VN is run much higher on that than the fixed blades. 55-57 seems a tad on the soft side for S35VN, at least compared to what I'm used to using in my other knives. Any Green Beret users who could comment on edge holding, durability, etc?

2. Any decent aftermarket leather sheath options?

3. Any general use reports or Pro/Con evaluations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I very recently purchased my first Reeve/Harcey knife. I got a Pacific. I will say I am much more pleased and impressed with this knife than I thought I would be. I held off for years, literally, because I was unsure of the GB and Pacific. I was worried they would have too much traction in the handle for bare hand field work (don’t want a chewed up hand). I was wrong about the Pacific (have never handled a GB). It’s really great and ergonomic.

So far the steel and hardness seem good. It is a beefy blade. I’ve done some decent field work with it and haven’t had to sharpen it yet. Keep in mind these knives are a hollow grind, so it’s not going to have the edge strength of a thick convex like Bark River does etc. I think the softer HRC may be to help the edge from chipping out, which might happen with the kind of work one does with a large fixed blade.

As far as the GB 5.5”, I think this would be the prefect CRK field knife. I sometimes wish I had chosen that option.

I love my Pacific, but am a little self-conscious drawing it from its sheath around strangers. It is very intimidating looking, and obviously could be a weapon.

I think with a 5.5” GB I would feel a little less like I was making folks nervous around the campfire etc.

Last edited:
Late replay, but still... I think GB 5.5 is absolutely fine field knife, especially if you're after military/tactical look. I've been Using variuos variants of Green Berets for years, since the introduction day till now. I like both lengths, and for 'one tough knife' option, when chopping is included, the 7" variant is hard to beat. However, I usually have a good axe close at hand too, so I don't need that extra length for chopping and 5.5 has always been my personal favorite. Now it's available with plain edge, which makes it even better for field use.

Now... since threads like that are useless without photos, here's my latest one - plain edged 5.5 Green Beret:

gb_sunset_web.jpg

Late replay, but still... I think GB 5.5 is absolutely fine field knife, especially if you're after military/tactical look. I've been Using variuos variants of Green Berets for years, since the introduction day till now. I like both lengths, and for 'one tough knife' option, when chopping is included, the 7" variant is hard to beat. However, I usually have a good axe close at hand too, so I don't need that extra length for chopping and 5.5 has always been my personal favorite. Now it's available with plain edge, which makes it even better for field use.

Now... since threads like that are useless without photos, here's my latest one - plain edged 5.5 Green Beret:

gb_sunset_web.jpg
As always, your pics and review Nails It...!

Not sure about leather, but Spartan Blades standard kydex lined nylon sheaths fit the Green Beret 5.5 like they were designed for it. They also carry flat, and are made by one of the best top shelf gear manufacturers around. Unlike leather, they won't stretch, rot, or bleed stain. Highly recommended, and very inexpensive option you can buy from Spartan's site.

I liked my GB5.5 for the roomy handle with a very comfortable and secure grip. I prefer the serrated version, I see no benefit to the plain edged version due to the gigantic sharpening coil at the base of the blade. CRK's serrations are brilliant, following the rest of the cutting edge, and don't suffer the drawbacks of most companies' poorly designed serrations.

The hollow grind of the Green Beret is pretty shallow, so the blade doesn't suffer the drawbacks of a deeper hollow grind. In addition to the shallow grind, the GB is left very thick behind the edge.

Back