Recommendation? Green Beret Knife - Cheaper alternatives?

I really like the Chris Reeve Green Beret. Are there any cheaper alternatives out there? I like the style but would prefer something in the $100-$200 range. This model is $325.

I am wanting a Green Beret too. I haven't found anything else in S35VN that is much cheaper.
I have a Benchmade Presidio fixed 155bk in 154cm that I absolutely love. The 155bk is very similar to the Green Beret aside from the steel.

My advice, save up and wait, usually when you settle you buy twice.

Totally true.
the other thing I'd suggest is perhaps hit the knife maker's market here on BFC. I wouldn't expect someone to make a direct clone for $100-200, but I'd bet plenty of knifemakers would work with you to take the elements you like about the Reeve GB knife, and translate that into a custom, commissioned by you and built for you within your budget.

I have several knives in my collection that compete with my Chris Reeve Green Beret. If you are a developing a collection, big or small, you will probably end up with a Green Beret in your collection.

But if you are not envisioning a collection with too many knives, you may ask yourself what it is you are trying to do. If you are looking for "protection" at a camp site or during TEOTWAWKI, you cannot go wrong with the ESEE Junglas. I was shocked that it was as good as it is. It's a beast!

Other knives to look at:

- Spyderco Jumpmaster 2 Fixed 4.5" H1 Serrated Leaf-Shaped Blade, Black FRN Handles
- Bradford Guardian 4+, M390 - Black G-10 - False Edge - Stonewashed
- Spartan Blades Horkos - Flat Black & Black Micarta Tactical Fixed Blade
- Spyderco Stuart Ackerman Sustain, 20CV Blade
- RMJ Tactical Raider Dagger
- KA-BAR Jarosz
- Gerber Strongarm BDZ-1
- Tops Knives - Wild Pig Hunter
- Bark River Knives MACV-SOG Bowie 3V
- Buck Knives 119
- KA-BAR D2 Extreme Fighting Knife, Blade length 7"
- SOG Tech Bowie

Last edited:
I'd keep an eye out on the trading section and buy a used one and/or post a want to buy ad.

Occasionally 20% off coupons on eBay can get you down in price a bit. Also buying from a dealer that has "points" will help you get some value out of the purchase.

Another big factor, collector or user? Collector, then yeah, put aside a dollar jar, and just save your change. User, then what are the features you want and see how you want that inside your budget.

It's not quite the same shape, but a Camillus CQB-1 is similar and lands in your price range. While it's discontinued, I see them regularly. Designed by Bob Terzuola.

They can be had in 0170-6c, ats-34, and 154cm steel. Also they are available in plain edge or a small portion of serrations.

After Camillus went under, Meyerco began making them. I've heard those versions are good too. I have the carbon steel version, and it has been with me all over the place for protection. Feels great in the hand.

Back