Green Para2's are back

And to abruptly get back on topic, I need to rescind my comment about this being the most flawless knife I've gotten. The pivot is still too tight. It's no biggie, but I also recently bought a Sage 3 in bright smurf blue, and it flies open and closed by operating the lock and not even touching the blade. Now that knife is sweet. Do PM2's get that kind of smoothness? I've only had it on the two bolt locks I've ever owned, and on a back lock (Delica). Nothing else moves like that, but I want them to, but I'm afraid to compromise the perfect centering of my 204P. Should I just live with it? How did you guys fare?

Mine should come today and is my 1st PM2 so I'm not an authority, but I can be a fine parrot! PM2s generally seem to start tight and there is a fair breaking time period. Try adjusting the pivot some more, like many BMs the PM2 has a bit of a sweet spot that ppl like to try and hit. I generally find if a blade is centered already, a little pivot adjust will not mess the centering, more likely to induce a little blade play before centering is affected. Also I have heard that rather than the pivot, try adjusting the screws in the stop pin as well, as a combination of adjustments to both the stop pin and pivot are optimal.

Last edited:
Also I have heard that rather than the pivot, try adjusting the screws in the stop pin as well, as a combination of adjustments to both the stop pin and pivot are optimal.

That is a good idea. I like that. I'll give it a shot, and maybe just try to use it more before I go at the pivot. I'm just so stuck in the auto industry where every bolt has one torque rating and everything else is dangerous and will cause the bolt to fall out or snap, killing millions.

Though I have to wonder, why do these have a break in period but my Taiwanese knives do not? Is it materials or craftsmanship? I have to add my GB to that list of knives that fly open, with the Sage 3 and a Taiwan-made CRKT 4514. Japan is close behind. All my Golden's are tight.

To be honest, I don't understand why it seems like so many people want their blades to "fly", and I probably never will. I suppose am a very deliberate kind of person, and I like smooth controlled action, I am always in contact with the stud/hole until the blade locks and I don't "flick", (flippers are an exception to this tho for obvious reasons, even then I adjust to max tightness with reliable deployment,ball bearing systems make this much easier). I have DF2, and a Domino both of which are great, I guess I'll see more of what you are talking about when my PM2 shows up today.

PM2s generally seem to start tight and there is a fair breaking time period.

My experience has been different- I have handled 3 new ones and one used one. All but the new green operated without friction and were very smooth.

To be honest, I don't understand why it seems like so many people want their blades to "fly", and I probably never will.

I see where you're coming from, but I am the opposite. I like to be able to open my knives with about 90% wrist and 10% thumb. And when I can close them that way too (as in the case of a slick-operating bolt lock), I'm twice as happy. If I could just pinch the compression lock on my PM2 and have the blade fall into the handle I'd be in love. This is the reason I like flippers, and am dying to get my hands on a Southard. I think my hands are just oddly shaped, and my thumbs are too short compared to the rest of my elongated tentacles. Thumb action just feels awkward sometimes.

Edit to say that I don't like flicking my knives hard to open them either. I CAN open my PM2 and Military and even my super tight brown Native by wrist action, but it's more effort than I like. Don't get me wrong, they're all great knives and I love using each and every one of them. I just wish they were all as effortless as the Taiwanese make them. The more effort I put into throwing out a blade, the more ridiculous and menacing I look doing it which is not helpful.

Last edited:
Have the PM2's always been a mixed bag? It seems since the start of this year, I've noticed more complaints about centering, tightness, f/f, etc. I had a couple from 4Q of last year, and they were perfect. The one I still have is snot on glass smooth with no play and a free dropping blade when depressing the lock, and have never touched a screw on it. My buddy got one that was made a couple months ago, and it's tight as hell and finding the sweet spot between smoothness and no play hasn't been too successful.

I have owned a couple of PM2's. Both new out of the box had some tightness. But, I like that. Mine are smoothing out a lot more. I probably deploy my PM2 more than the norm but I like to work with mine and practice "practical deployments", where I know how my knifes going to react with one handed or two handed deployments.

I have never touched a screw. I only clean with compressed air, as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Battle

Last edited:
Mine has arrived! It is well centered and the lock up is solid. It did come a little tight, a little pivot and stop pin adjust, and it will fall open or closed when the lock is 100% disengaged, but I noticed that the spring force of the lock it so strong that often I actually only disengage it 95%(I don't have a lot of hand strength so this make sense too me), this is enough for the blade face to clear the detent ball but still closed enough that the ball can contact and drag, slowing or preventing the blade closing quickly. This is true for opening just by disengaging the lock. This is actually a perfect balance for me, tho I can see how it might bug others.

just got mine in right now. Out of box it's a little off center but drops freely. No play when opened. I'm happy and won't be getting rid of it. :):thumbup:

Definitely will not be getting rid of mine any time soon:thumbup: I have to admit, it is much slimmer all around than I was expecting, especially for blade stock thats is more or less the same thickness as my ZT 0550.

I just got mine in the mail and replaced the clip for one of theoriginalspaceman's deep pocket clips.

cEhTLvK.jpg

It came perfectly centered, but I loosened the pivot and now it has the perfect amount of tension/play.

3D3U0wp.jpg

Last edited:
Have the PM2's always been a mixed bag?

Yes. Same with the Military and other models. Same goes with most production knives from any company in this price range.
You have to go up to mid techs to avoid it, and even some of those aren't always consistent.

I've bought all types of Spyderco's, but more Para 2 and Military than any other. Many smooth as silk with perfect centering and perfect lockup, some no so much but still good enough, and a couple I had to send back.

Got mine today too and it's pretty stiff, but my camo/black and blk/blk were too and it didn't take much flipping to get them opening smoothly and swiftly without adjusting anything....

^^^That is pretty rough Cameron. :eek:
Post some pictures when you get it straightened out.

I recieved my para 2 yesterday and everything on it is perfect. Its a little tight, but I've seen tighter knives loosen up with break in.

Back