Green River 4215 vs Vintage Green River

I am considering purchasing a current manufacture Russell Green River 4215 model in 1095. I had one of them many years ago and found it to be an excellent light camp knife, but traded it off to a friend. Are the current 4215 model knives still about the same in terms of quality? Also, I realize that these have been made almost as long as the cutlery industry in the USA has existed and began to wonder how much has this pattern changed over the years? Should I start looking for a vintage version? Thanks!

Reactions: vab
As far as I know, there is no difference between the new made and the vintage Green River knives.
They are a heck of a good knife.

As far as I know, there is no difference between the new made and the vintage Green River knives.
They are a heck of a good knife.
I reckon they got it right 170 years ago then, especially considering the combination of low cost and high value. Amazing that they have been used and carried by so many generations of people and are still being made like they were at the beginning (although on improved equipment rather than steam hammers) right here in the USA!

I had never heard this knife. You've inspired me.I think I will pick one up!

iChYg3Y.jpg

Middle row,far right two knives. I think those 2 are the model you are talking about. I do believe the blades are the same pattern & same 1095 steel now ,as was then. These were purchased blades with custom handles & sheaths. The plant is in Southbridge Mass.

iChYg3Y.jpg

Middle row,far right two knives. I think those 2 are the model you are talking about. I do believe the blades are the same pattern & same 1095 steel now ,as was then. These were purchased blades with custom handles & sheaths. The plant is in Southbridge Mass.
Yes, the current 4215 is nearly identical to the pair you point out. The only difference I can find mention of is the larger rivet heads on the current (post 1890) model. I wonder if there are many old examples floating around, the Dexter Russell site indicates huge numbers were made between the Civil War and the beginning of the 20th century.

Reactions: vab
Yes, the current 4215 is nearly identical to the pair you point out. The only difference I can find mention of is the larger rivet heads on the current (post 1890) model. I wonder if there are many old examples floating around, the Dexter Russell site indicates huge numbers were made between the Civil War and the beginning of the 20th century.

That's because I used 1/8" nickel silver pins on my work there,vs " cutlery rivets " on the factory models

I had never heard this knife. You've inspired me.I think I will pick one up!
I stumbled across them, having thought that they were discontinued long ago. I had that impression because the knife I had mentioned earlier which I gave away back in the late 80's was a stainless version (the #35-246) that did end production when I looked for a replacement. It turns out the carbon steel 4215 version is still around (and has been the whole time). I have been using an Ontario Old Hickory 7" butcher knife in a standard Kabar sheath as my woods knife, but always kinda missed that Green River knife since it is so light and handy and sharp. Went ahead and ordered one (and a short 5 1/4" Kabar sheath to put it in) this afternoon. Now it is like waiting on a visit from an old friend....

Back