Green River Belt Knife

Hello
I am from Brazil and it´s my J.Russel - Green River knife customization.

During the early 1840's was the beginning of the great westward movement of settlers to Oregon and California. J.Russell & Company began manufacturing a simple, rugged, utilitarian hunting knife for these emigrants and buffalo hunters of the plains. The knife, known as the "Green River Knife" was to be rugged enough to serve in any situation that might arise.

These knives were often shipped unsharpened so that the individual owners could then sharpen according to need and use. The blade was about 8 inches in length with simple wooden handles. English hunting knives by contrast were fancy and lightweight. Although all knives produced by J. Russell & Co. after 1837 were stamped "Green River Works," it was this simple hunting knife, the "Green River Knife" which assured the success of the company, and was the source of the myth and legend of the Green River Knife.

The Green River Knife became the source for various sayings and phrases related to quality and or doing a job right.

The Green River Knife became a favorite of emigrants, buffalo hunters, Indians, miners and settlers. Between 1840 to 1860 it is estimated that 60,000 dozen Green River knives were sent west. The popularity of the Green River Knife was so great that American, English and German competitors would stamp their products with "Green River" in order to capitalize on the success of J. Russell & Co.

With the success of the Green River hunting knife, Russell began to experiment with other new types of knives. A more abruptly curved skinning knife was put into production which became almost as popular as the hunting knife. A butcher knife, nicknamed the "Dadley", being slightly larger than the hunting knife was also produced. All three of these knife styles came to be known as "Green River" knives. Russell continued to expand his product line to include shoe knives, table knives and forks and occasional novelty knives including a knife designed for one armed amputees after the Civil War.

Read more: http://tomahawksadventuretravel.blogspot.com/2009/11/green-river-knife.html
My Blog: http://yalcustom.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking.

DSC06141.jpg

DSC06143.jpg

DSC06146.jpg

DSC06148.jpg

DSC06149.jpg

DSC06154.jpg

DSC06155.jpg

Reactions: vba
Green river knives are great. I have a number of old buffaloe skinners, one of them an earlier one with a tapered tang and some sheffield ones. I've used them and they work great.

Nice knife and a great looking sheath. I have a few of them. Thin, lightweight, and take a keen edge. A nice affordable knife.

Wow!

That knife seems to be minimalism pure. I like it very much! Great knife, I think!

Kind regards
Andi

Great knife and excellent sheath! Superb craftsmanship evident here! I congratulate you on your fine knife. Muito bom!

Ron

Well, I am a sucker for those Green River knives, and this is a nice one. Very clean looking handle.

You really can't beat 'em. One of the best values in the cutlery industry today.:thumbup:

Welcome to BladeForums, Yuri!

That's a fine looking Green River, Yuri. Thanks for showing it to us.

I love the Russell Green River blades! I've handled many of them, last year I gave so many as gifts.....none had such a wonderful sheath though. Beautiful work.

Congrats, great looking build up and a wonderful sheath as well.

I love the GR blades and have built up so many of them. For the price they are a great blade to modify into other designs as well. My very first step into "knife making" was a GR ripper over 10 years ago. Funny how this is always the first knife picked up in the kitchen, despite all the stainless knives! I recently modified that origonal knife down to a pairing knife, after it had been so sharpened away.

just a quick question
when you order one of these, do they come with a sheath??

or did you have make one/buy an aftermarket sheath?

Thank you friends, for the reception and nice comments.

The handle was made ​​of Brazilian wood Caviúna (Machaerium scleroxylon)

The sheath does not come with the knife. It was made ​​with cowhide leather and detailed with fish Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)

Back