1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GREGORY WAR KWAIKEN

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JParanee, Feb 15, 2019.

1. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    It’s all in the video

I’m so blown away by this knife and Matt’s friendship

The stories all in the video

All I can say this is an epic package and a huge thank you to my good friend Matt Gregory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. clearytja

clearytja

Oct 17, 2002
    That is next level amazing!!!! Use it in good health.....carefully.

TC

3. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Thank you

I’m quite pleased

I have a very large Kwaiken collection and this piece is a standout

4. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks, buddy! Gotta agree, this piece is the natural progression of your thoughts on design, while still incorporation enough of my own bits into this timeless form. So many others have done it, and well, so it's tricky to make it your own and still manage to be true to the basics.

I've tried to think back on how long I've been making these, and I think I can track them back almost ten years, at this point.

...just to add further documentation on this knife, here's a copy of the initial post on it from the 'custom and handmade' section:

"Finished this one up for a friend while I'm working on other stuff, and avoiding doing yet other stuff.

This kwaiken features a 5-1/2" blade of .200" Crucible S7 steel, with an overall length of 10-1/2". The handle has been built up and contoured, with a tiny touch of coffin handle swell to the butt, then sleeved in carbon fiber soaked in aerospace resin, and finally wrapped in carbon fiber lace, which was also soaked.

[​IMG]

A closeup of the handle, as the detail tends to get lost in the overall photo:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking, gang."

5. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    You are a master Jammer

Some more impressions on the knife and a few comments

The sheath is very well done

From the fit of the metal to the wet molding of the carbon this saya/sheath is superb

Retention is great

He really got the Hartsfield styled Saya’s down

I love the stock thickness of the blade ...it’s not to thick but a perfect thickness to be double ground

I also really like the Turks head on the Saya. Slightly smaller to carry well

It works as a stopper on sliding it in the belt and gives a great finger index if needed when drawing

I also like the thickness of the Ito for the wrap and SAGEO

Well though out carry piece

The hour glass shaped handle is spot on also ...it is very sticky but transitions well and lends itself to a fantastic grip. The slightly larger Turks head (than the Saya) lends itself great to a saber grip where the pommel can nestle in your palm slightly ....strong thruster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    Very nice and I see you brought some other goodies along too. That speedy would go great with my well my anything to be honest.

7. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

One of my favorite watches

[​IMG]

kniferbro likes this.
  8. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    I have had 3 all transitional '69 but never seemed to be able to keep one. I have a '80 in my sights but they want a bit too much at 1,800. The prices seem to never stop going up on the transitional and pre moon.

9. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

No they don’t

Great watch with a rich history for sure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    Well that just pushes me over the edge, I'll go pick that '80 up. I'm looking at a 14610 Rolex sub drilled lug too. I mean a safe full of watches always can use another one, right?

11. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

You can never have enough knives or in my case Omegas :)

[​IMG]

007Airman likes this.
  12. wroughndt

wroughndt Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2011
    I have actually never cared for “kwaiken” until today. This knife is amazing. From the clean grinds to the coffin handle grip that would lock it into your hand.... I am impressed and want one for myself.

13. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I've got two of Ben Tendick's 3v Kwakens. Carry them just about everywhere. Had them on under a suit chaperoning a church youth dance last night.

Joe pushed me over the edge on getting a set.

BenR.T. likes this.
  14. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Another brilliant vid Joe. You have done so much to promote this genre of knife and the makers who build them......Thank you.

Matt......you hit it out of the park mate!

A wonderful maker, a wonderful collector, an amazing piece. What more could a BF thread ask for!;)

PS- The watch is nice too!

15. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

I think if you try one you will really appreciate the utility of the piece

The hard Saya is an imperative part of the package and like any tool , gun or knife the carry system dictates the amount of carry the piece will receive

It it carries well you will carry it more

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  16. Richard S.

Richard S. Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2018
    I definitely like the knife. What I really want to know is who got the desert knife, lol?

Mr. Gregory makes very classy products.

rpn likes this.
  17. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

Bens work is tremendous and I had the pleasure to be part of the Kraken series in a way

Ben is a master in this genre and as you know this sheath system carries very well

Bigfattyt likes this.
  18. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I spy an X4... :). What's it tuning Joe?

19. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

Always nice to see you post my friend

I bought my first Hartsfield Kwaiken over 3 decades ago from Phill in is shop in Orange County

I dodnt have enough money and his wife Pat made him sell me one :)

Great people and Phill was one of a kind

He inspired everyone from Emerson to me in a big way

Steven65 likes this.
  20. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

F350 King Ranch

You know those damn 6 liters ....I got so much money in the engine I can’t sell it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kniferbro likes this.