GREGORY WAR KWAIKEN

Thanks, buddy! Gotta agree, this piece is the natural progression of your thoughts on design, while still incorporation enough of my own bits into this timeless form. So many others have done it, and well, so it's tricky to make it your own and still manage to be true to the basics.

I've tried to think back on how long I've been making these, and I think I can track them back almost ten years, at this point.

...just to add further documentation on this knife, here's a copy of the initial post on it from the 'custom and handmade' section:

"Finished this one up for a friend while I'm working on other stuff, and avoiding doing yet other stuff.

This kwaiken features a 5-1/2" blade of .200" Crucible S7 steel, with an overall length of 10-1/2". The handle has been built up and contoured, with a tiny touch of coffin handle swell to the butt, then sleeved in carbon fiber soaked in aerospace resin, and finally wrapped in carbon fiber lace, which was also soaked.

46922268982_60fdda7aac_b.jpg

A closeup of the handle, as the detail tends to get lost in the overall photo:

46922440562_c4c93424f3_c.jpg

Thanks for looking, gang."

You are a master Jammer

Some more impressions on the knife and a few comments

The sheath is very well done

From the fit of the metal to the wet molding of the carbon this saya/sheath is superb

Retention is great

He really got the Hartsfield styled Saya’s down

I love the stock thickness of the blade ...it’s not to thick but a perfect thickness to be double ground

I also really like the Turks head on the Saya. Slightly smaller to carry well

It works as a stopper on sliding it in the belt and gives a great finger index if needed when drawing

I also like the thickness of the Ito for the wrap and SAGEO

Well though out carry piece

The hour glass shaped handle is spot on also ...it is very sticky but transitions well and lends itself to a fantastic grip. The slightly larger Turks head (than the Saya) lends itself great to a saber grip where the pommel can nestle in your palm slightly ....strong thruster

Very nice and I see you brought some other goodies along too. That speedy would go great with my well my anything to be honest.

One of my favorite watches

I have had 3 all transitional '69 but never seemed to be able to keep one. I have a '80 in my sights but they want a bit too much at 1,800. The prices seem to never stop going up on the transitional and pre moon.

I have had 3 all transitional '69 but never seemed to be able to keep one. I have a '80 in my sights but they want a bit too much at 1,800. The prices seem to never stop going up on the transitional and pre moon.

No they don’t

Great watch with a rich history for sure

No they don’t

Great watch with a rich history for sure
Well that just pushes me over the edge, I'll go pick that '80 up. I'm looking at a 14610 Rolex sub drilled lug too. I mean a safe full of watches always can use another one, right?

Well that just pushes me over the edge, I'll go pick that '80 up. I'm looking at a 14610 Rolex sub drilled lug too. I mean a safe full of watches always can use another one, right?

You can never have enough knives or in my case Omegas :)

I have actually never cared for “kwaiken” until today. This knife is amazing. From the clean grinds to the coffin handle grip that would lock it into your hand.... I am impressed and want one for myself.

I've got two of Ben Tendick's 3v Kwakens. Carry them just about everywhere. Had them on under a suit chaperoning a church youth dance last night.

Joe pushed me over the edge on getting a set.

Another brilliant vid Joe. You have done so much to promote this genre of knife and the makers who build them......Thank you.

Matt......you hit it out of the park mate!

A wonderful maker, a wonderful collector, an amazing piece. What more could a BF thread ask for!;)

PS- The watch is nice too!

I have actually never cared for “kwaiken” until today. This knife is amazing. From the clean grinds to the coffin handle grip that would lock it into your hand.... I am impressed and want one for myself.

I think if you try one you will really appreciate the utility of the piece

The hard Saya is an imperative part of the package and like any tool , gun or knife the carry system dictates the amount of carry the piece will receive

It it carries well you will carry it more

Last edited:
I definitely like the knife. What I really want to know is who got the desert knife, lol?

Mr. Gregory makes very classy products.

Reactions: rpn
I've got two of Ben Tendick's 3v Kwakens. Carry them just about everywhere. Had them on under a suit chaperoning a church youth dance last night.

Joe pushed me over the edge on getting a set.

Bens work is tremendous and I had the pleasure to be part of the Kraken series in a way

Ben is a master in this genre and as you know this sheath system carries very well

Another brilliant vid Joe. You have done so much to promote this genre of knife and the makers who build them......Thank you.

Matt......you hit it out of the park mate!

A wonderful maker, a wonderful collector, an amazing piece. What more could a BF thread ask for!;)

PS- The watch is nice too!

Always nice to see you post my friend

I bought my first Hartsfield Kwaiken over 3 decades ago from Phill in is shop in Orange County

I dodnt have enough money and his wife Pat made him sell me one :)

Great people and Phill was one of a kind

He inspired everyone from Emerson to me in a big way

Back