Grinder question

I've done a bit of grinder research this last year, and if I were to do it again, I'd buy or build something very similar to this:

Check out the Outlaw grinder. Some big name makers say it's the best on the market. Very nice machine and loaded for around 3500.

I'd go with a tilting grinder and a disk. Run both with the same spec. How, three phase motor with a switch. Not a huge job.

I owned a TW-90 and two KMGS a few years ago. I just received my new Ameribrade grinder and was able to set it up a few days ago. I'm very pleased with my purchase. 100 times better than my KMGS. Not as "high tech" as my TW-90 but just as smooth, tracks perfect, and is built like a tank!! Ameribrade platen is better because it can pivot like many others. TW-90 can not. TW tool rests are awesome. Ratchet is awesome. Definitely loved grinding horizontal but I'm going to get a dedicated AMK Horizontal.

Last edited:
I actually got the call from Northridge that my grinder is ready to ship. So I think I'm going to go that route. My next question is 220 or 110. I have 220 in my shop, but I'm having trouble finding a plug for it. It must be an old style I don't know. So I'm wondering if I should just go with 110 for now and rewire later if I want? Or should I mess with putting a new socket in and going that route. I'm not very good with electricity lol. How big of a deal is it to rewire it later?

I actually got the call from Northridge that my grinder is ready to ship. So I think I'm going to go that route. My next question is 220 or 110. I have 220 in my shop, but I'm having trouble finding a plug for it. It must be an old style I don't know. So I'm wondering if I should just go with 110 for now and rewire later if I want? Or should I mess with putting a new socket in and going that route. I'm not very good with electricity lol. How big of a deal is it to rewire it later?
Since you have available, Suggest you go 240V and fit the appropriate circuitbreaker and receptacle. If you go for 120V. Depends on machine HP, but it will likely be running right near the max of a 120V circuit what pretty much eliminates that circuit for any other loads like lighting, dust collection, etc.

Since you have available, Suggest you go 240V and fit the appropriate circuitbreaker and receptacle. If you go for 120V. Depends on machine HP, but it will likely be running right near the max of a 120V circuit what pretty much eliminates that circuit for any other loads like lighting, dust collection, etc.
That makes sense. Thanks

Definitely go 220, especially if you already have it in the shop. Receptacles and plug ends are easy to replace. I like twist locks, though I'd suggest to just replace your outlet to match whatever plug the Northridge is already wired for.

They made it sound like it wouldn't have a plug on it so I can do whatever I need to do to make it work.

Back