Grinder with cutting disks for angle grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the craziest idea that came to my mind ......tonight :D
i was looking for something in my shop and i see this worn cutting disc from my small angle grinder.I keep some of them because sometimes i need small wheel for ...........never mind that !
Cutting disc come in different dimension ................say 300 , 400 , 500 mm Dia. Now what if I join say 15 of them or whatever number is to get 2 inch wide grinding surface , put them on some axle and use them to grind bevels on knife ??? Disc for cutting stainless last long per my experience.... Say I start with 12 inch Dia. when they worn to 10 inch they will be still usable for bevels on other dimension bevels...even when they come to 5 inch they will be usable ? Just in some time when they lost Dia. move them on other side of axle and use another one 12 inch set there ? 80 m/s is no joke and they will leave nice finish too ? With clever design of safe cover and cover from bottom side we can eliminate almost 100 % of dust ?
Here I can get one 12 inch disc for 3$ . I m not sure but i think that they will last longer then belts compared $ to $ ?
So what are you think , what I m missing here ? I will do that anyway , if not work i will have cutting disk for rest of my life :D But i would like to hear what you guys think ?
PO9aui8.jpg

KvrM4bA.jpg

something like this ..................
JFZQrYY.png

Personally I’ve had too many fiber cut off discs explode in my face/arms/chest to care to try using them for hollow grinding, why not just get a 8-10” grinding stone that’s 2” wide and a coarse grit and use that? Less chance of something blowing apart.

You won't like my answer, but I think it is a really bad idea. I will just leave it there. Some things just don't deserve debate.

Beyond the danger involved, I think that you'd run into problems with them wearing at different rates, and possibly spinning at different speeds. Unless you epoxied them together or something...

Beyond the danger involved, I think that you'd run into problems with them wearing at different rates, and possibly spinning at different speeds. Unless you epoxied them together or something...
I can t see how they can wear in different rate ? How they can spin in different speed I also don t understand ? They will be firmly bolted on axle , friction between them would be high ?
I wait for cutting stainless disc , they have not enough 300 mm Dia . in the moment .
Weight of wheel with 20 disc /300mm x 2.6mm / would be 8.3 kg .I m curious would it need to be balanced ?
uiQwpCz.jpg

Personally I’ve had too many fiber cut off discs explode in my face/arms/chest to care to try using them for hollow grinding, why not just get a 8-10” grinding stone that’s 2” wide and a coarse grit and use that? Less chance of something blowing apart.
I use angle grinders since I was thirteen and I don t remember single on case that disc explode ...........When cutting disc explode it is user error .............
I have 23 inch x 1.5 inch grinding stone from machine which grind engine crankshafts........one day i will do something with that .Look , 20 cutting disc would be jointed as one disc .I will not cut with them anything i will grind steel on 2 inch surface just like on belt and i really can t see what kind of load the disks would suffer in that operation so they can explode or break piece ?

Last edited:
About danger involved , it can be very easy to add protection............something like this, just small part opened where I will grind ? I was thinking about that , to use some glue between discs , it will help for sure :thumbsup:
wyHgNT8.png

I use angle grinders since I was thirteen and I don t remember single on case that disc explode ...........When cutting disc explode it is user error .............
I have 23 inch x 1.5 inch grinding stone from machine which grind engine crankshafts........one they i will do something with that .Look , 20 cutting disc would be jointed as one disc .I will not cut with them anything i will grind steel on 2 inch surface just like on belt and i really can t see what kind of load the disks would suffer in that operation ?
I use an angle grinder every day and all it takes for one of those discs to fracture is slight side to side pressure, I could see if you had them stacked and went to grind a plunge line and the corner disc catch if you aren’t perfect. But if you think you can apply perfect even pressure without any slight human error go for it, we are just trying to say we don’t think it’s a safe idea and I personally don’t understand why the need to reinvent the wheel, you have several grinders with good contact wheels and a large stone grinder if you wanted a hard non wearing abrasive vs belts. At least if you are going to try something like this that doesn’t make sense because you have better tools go out and get 1/4” grind stone discs instead of the thin chop saw discs, they are at least somewhat made to do what you want to do.

I use an angle grinder every day and all it takes for one of those discs to fracture is slight side to side pressure, I could see if you had them stacked and went to grind a plunge line and the corner disc catch if you aren’t perfect. But if you think you can apply perfect even pressure without any slight human error go for it, we are just trying to say we don’t think it’s a safe idea and I personally don’t understand why the need to reinvent the wheel, you have several grinders with good contact wheels and a large stone grinder if you wanted a hard non wearing abrasive vs belts. At least if you are going to try something like this that doesn’t make sense because you have better tools go out and get 1/4” grind stone discs instead of the thin chop saw discs, they are at least somewhat made to do what you want to do.
Joshua , cutting disc are made in different way then grinding stone ...it is completely different design from stones so they can cut fast. They will remove material much faster and because of extremely high speed will leave very nice finish and it is hard to glaze them .That s way I want to try them .One more thing , grinding stone are not less dangerous then disc , they can explode to ... and I think that they are more dangerous then disc.When stone explode big and thick part will fly , when disc explode small and light parts would fly .......

I use angle grinders since I was thirteen
Also Ive worked with enough tradesmen and women long enough to know that type of mentality and statement only leads to an injury, I can’t count the number of carpenters that have said the line “I’ve been doing this for 40 years I know what I’m doing” only to have an accident on the 41st year and lose a finger. If you are complacent about the tool you use and dangers involved you will absolutely get hurt no questions about it. Hopefully you decided to use some good judgement and be safe and for anyone who reads this thread and thinks I can do that go spend an hour watching osha safety videos on angle grinder/grindstone/and improper tool use injury’s and watch all the other people that thought they could do something like this. Might give you a different opinion.

Joshua , cutting disc are made in different way then grinding stone ...it is completely different design from stones so they can cut fast. They will remove material much faster and because of extremely high speed will leave very nice finish and it is hard to glaze them .That s way I want to try them .One more thing , grinding stone are not less dangerous then disc , they can explode to ... and I think that they are more dangerous then disc.When stone explode big and thick part will fly , when disc explode small and light parts would fly .......
Small light parts can still cut your neck open or cut up your face if they are flying fast enough, they cut faster because they are wearing away and exposing fresh abrasive, they are made to degrade so tell me how you think that sounds like a good idea? Good luck and be safe.

Small light parts can still cut your neck open or cut up your face if they are flying fast enough, they cut faster because they are wearing away and exposing fresh abrasive, they are made to degrade so tell me how you think that sounds like a good idea? Good luck and be safe.
They will wear of course , but not that fast ..I expect that I will grind lot of blade before i can measure some wear .Look , one of my grinders can run on 40 m/s and I know how fast it remove steel but it is very loud on that speed ....Now imagine 80 m/s ?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts ,especially around safety I appreciate that :thumbsup:

I also think its a bad idea, I also think putting that cover around most of it is a really bad idea because if a piece does break off it has nowhere to go and you will have mini explosion. If you are determined to do it though you need to setup video ;)

I also think its a bad idea, I also think putting that cover around most of it is a really bad idea because if a piece does break off it has nowhere to go and you will have mini explosion. If you are determined to do it though you need to setup video ;)
You think it is bad idea ? I want to hear explanation why you think it is bad idea ? That's why i opened this topic :)
Safe cover .....it is just sketch to show how easy would be to make one for safety..no need to be closed like that of course.. we know in advance where break piece would fly . I don t know , cutting disc are quite flexible they don t break just like that , side load would be very low + there are 20 of them and they will not flex just like one .So how they or one of them can break i really still can not figure ?
Of course i will do this , need little time only .I must make some good design so if this don t work as i except , i can easy adapt it to work with real contact wheels in different size with belts :D

Also Ive worked with enough tradesmen and women long enough to know that type of mentality and statement only leads to an injury, I can’t count the number of carpenters that have said the line “I’ve been doing this for 40 years I know what I’m doing” only to have an accident on the 41st year and lose a finger. If you are complacent about the tool you use and dangers involved you will absolutely get hurt no questions about it. Hopefully you decided to use some good judgement and be safe and for anyone who reads this thread and thinks I can do that go spend an hour watching osha safety videos on angle grinder/grindstone/and improper tool use injury’s and watch all the other people that thought they could do something like this. Might give you a different opinion.
**** happens :) I never said that in future i will not make mistake.But I know/hear of more injures with hammer then with angle grinders ,hammer are dangerous to if you use it on fingers instead on nail :D

Why? I mean if you can not get grinding wheels but that is not a problem here at all.

Even the guys in Indian and Pakastan can get grinding wheels :D

Why? I mean if you can not get grinding wheels but that is not a problem here at all.

Even the guys in Indian and Pakastan can get grinding wheels :D
Indian and Paktastan :) In Macedonia I can get them for free :pI don t like them , friend of mine run shop for repair engine cylinders bore , surface grind engine head , crankshaft ... .etc . When stone get worn to some Dia. they are not useful for him so i can get some. Actually that is place where I do all those operations when I need in my auto service .So he let me try to grind ...it is to slow , not what i like ! I give him nice knife as bribe for that !!
RPM Adam , they can not run fast as cut of wheels and more important is that Cut of disc a less-dense and still rigid enough and that mean better chip clearance........so they can cut fast .
I want something little faster then this :)

isBvGYU.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back