Grips Etc Discontinued?

Well, more color to add to the collection...

42905763_247965519182283_2597928697452748087_n.jpg

Yeah, I just ordered a 555-1 at a good price -- always wanted to try the sheepsfoot blade mini grip. Looks like everything is being discontinued, including all the 20CV models, so it might be more than a blade steel upgrade. Maybe some tweaks to the the handles as well? I wouldn't mind if the handle of the Mini Grip was a little longer. The Mini's blade is perfect, IMO, but the handle a tad short.

On the same site, I'm seeing the Freek and the Boost as discontinued. That didn't take long -- I guess the handle material didn't go over too well. Love the Freek blade, so I hope it's just a revamp of materials.

Freek too? I only seen the serrated and black version getting discontinued, not the normal one though..

You're right. I didn't look close enough. And none of the Mini Freeks are showing as discontinued yet. The thing is, only a couple versions of the Grip showed up as discontinued at first.

Anyone with an idea of what if anything will become of the -1 incarnation of the Grip? I'm not a fan of the Noryl handles on the full size model. I had a 551-1 but sold it, thinking I could easily replace it, and am now considering getting one again while they're still available.

I believe so. That's the word I've been given - the 550 is getting a different grind. I imagine a sabre like the -1 series.

Knife Center is listing the new 550 as S30V steel with a flat grind, so I suspect the old HG is being phased out. I didn't see any other changes listed in their upcoming S30V Grip description, and River's Edge also lists only the blade steel as the change. That doesn't mean that there won't be any other changes, just that they aren't listed in the new descriptions.

Don't know anything about the "-1" series. On BM's factory forum, Jason just said they were making changes to "the base line" of Grips. I suspect that the -1's will still be around, but that's just my guess.

Yeah, I just ordered a 555-1 at a good price -- always wanted to try the sheepsfoot blade mini grip.
Same, got a 555HG, minus some credit and points applied, for $64 shipped. Never had a MiniG and I love that Sheepsfoot hollowgrind look.
Would be a shame if that blade style went away.

Alright guys simmer down. The Grip family is not going away including the -1 series. We will be discontinuing some of the BK and serrated SKUs from the line. Same with the Boost and Freek families. Also, yes the baseline steel on the Grips is being upgraded to S30V.

Alright guys simmer down. The Grip family is not going away including the -1 series. We will be discontinuing some of the BK and serrated SKUs from the line. Same with the Boost and Freek families. Also, yes the baseline steel on the Grips is being upgraded to S30V.

Thanks, Jimmy. Can you say anything about possible changes to the blade grind on the 550/555 series? Is it changing to all flat sabre grind... no more HG's?

Thanks for the clarification Jimmy. But why are most retailer listing the G10 20CV 551-1 and 550-1 as discontinued with marked down price? Im seeing the satin, plain edge version getting marked down too.

Thanks for the clarification Jimmy. But why are most retailer listing the G10 20CV 551-1 and 550-1 as discontinued with marked down price? Im seeing the satin, plain edge version getting marked down too.

Not sure about that. Shouldn't be.

Dought g10 is going as it’s an option on the config, soo, grip steel is now S30V.
Bigger question is,, what’s the standard steel for the old S30V knives?

Last edited:
Back