Griptilians

I was looking up info on an old griptilian that I've had for a few years and I was wondering why they don't seem to get the love on the forums anymore. Lots of old long threads about them, they've been upgraded with time and lots of models like the 710 & AFCK have come and gone, but the grips keep on ticking.

Which blade have you got? 550 is a classic in my eyes and I can’t see users / owners falling out of love with them.

MAP killed off a lot of good talk about many great BM models. 30%+ price bump overnight didn't make opinions improve, and that hurts budget models particularly.

I actually have a few. My oldest one is from about the time that they changed from 440 to 154cm is a 551. It is when they were still painted so it's faded and it has alot of character.
But I think they used to be around $50 and I think they are now around $110 for a base griptilian. I don't think the Endura's and Delica's have gone up as much in price.

There has also been a down trend on the forums of BM in general due to some spotty QC like off-center blades and less-than perfect grinds. Grips, and now the freek, are some pretty decent value EDC options, IMO. The mini-grip competes with my native 5 for favorite EDC folder, with a lock. I don't have the mini grip anymore as I fancied an M4 custom shop but found a super freek instead and then have a peronalized native 5.

I think the bump to S30V is good for the griptilians as it fits EDC better than 154, IMO. It just has very nice abrasion resistance and it seems like cutting cardboard, tape, and pouches is a lot of what I use my folders for in the EDC role, and it's still not quite as pricey as M4 or similar. I think if they offered more steels outside of the custom shop, like spyderco does, they might be more common. Or offer G10 that wasn't hideous looking or about a $50 upcharge.

I love my Mini Ritter a ton. Though after carrying it as long as I have been, I’d have a tough time going back to their standard blade profiles. I’ve gotten too used to how well it cuts. I’d say it slices just as cleanly as some of my slipjoints.

Ju6kV6V.jpg

The stock handles actually work for me pretty well too. I’ve had no desire to swap them for a G10 since day one. They’re tough, light, and extremely comfortable to use. What more could you could want? Plus they’re orange, and orange is the best color for scales.

I do think that the people that like them already own and carry one, so they’re not as talked about as the newer models that’ve been coming out, and there has been a lot of new knives in the past few years.

Lots of love in this quarter for Griptilians as I'm one of those that prefers the older school Benchmade models. I've got seven of them, though only one is un-modified--I really can't abide the stock Noryl scales--and that one is a 551-1702 in M390 and paper Micarta. Here's a pic of my first 5--551 SBK wearing Igorded green canvas Micarta, a full and small pair of Ritters wearing Wilkins coarse G10, and a 550 and 555 BK pair wearing orange G10 Igorded's Anso-like random pattern.

SCAWgUo.jpg

Here's the 551-1702 in a pic taken today for another thread...

mSgUX9t.jpg

...and my most modded Grip--an all Wilkins knife with Kevin's replacement blade, aluminum hard-coat scales, and deep-carry clip.

sK56wnZ.jpg

Last edited:
My 551-1 is one of my favorite knives, just like my old 551 in 154CM before it. I feel like the mainline Grip has a lot of solid competition in the same price bracket these days, and the premium versions have even more.

BYAwAgH.jpg

You see me showing off the Wilkins Grip I got from you above, godzilla78 godzilla78 . I like the regrind you have on your orange-scaled 551 but don't recognize the pi maker's mark. Did you have that done on your side of the pond? That must be an excellent cutter.

Your Wilkins is a super cool knife, And rare now he has stopped doing the blades.
I had the regrind done by Jimmy Pie in the the UK, I was worried the M4 would corrode but it’s not even shown a patina.

I was searching Wilkins and found this thread. Thought I'd contribute to the Wilkins scales pics
IMG_20190822_013014.jpg

556 is still one of my favorite folding knives. Just got a 555 I'll need to try out. Here's mine that I just recently did blade swaps with.
View attachment 1184445 IMG_20190824_134349.jpg Such a nice size too. One of the few knives I don't really want deep carry clips on.

Great utility knife, but I think the price, as someone else said, is what pulled them out of favor. They were a lot of bang for the buck before the price went higher. In doing so, some other competing knives were a better option.

The price doesn't bother me as much as the ergos do. I carried my Mini Grip for a bit as an EDC, but in the end I found the handle was just a little too short for me. If that "guard" wasn't so prominent at the front of the handle, it might be a better fit. The stock clip also dug into my hand, so I ended up removing it. I almost wonder if the AWT grips might be a better fit for me, since they seem to be a little bit "plainer".

I started with a Grip and it formed my love for the Axis lock---I didn't/don't like the cheap feel and hollow sound when working the blade(the Mini Grip is much better on this issue) and quickly moved on to the "better" Axis lock offerings.

Nowadays, the price really hurts the Grips and its no where near the bargain it was when I bought mine.

Back