Grit Protrusion

How common is grit protrusion on DMT stones?I know on my Spyderco diamond rods I had one.My edge rode along it and rolled it.Iwas able to correct it on the grey stone but I want to use a 600 grit DMT as my finishing stone.Soooo.What say you.

I wouldn't worry about it. It can happen on any plated diamond hone, from any manufacturer. But, it's the minor exception rather than the rule.

If there is an issue with a DMT hone, they've had a good reputation for making it right, one way or another. I do believe DMT is more consistent in finishing cleanly, in terms of the edges produced off of them. It's the main factor influencing my preference for DMT, over other brands. I have a dozen or so hones from DMT, from pocket-sized (key chain, credit card, Dia-Folds) to bench hones (2" x 6" Dia-Sharps and 2" x 8" Duo-Sharp), and I've not had any issues with grit protrusion on any of them.

"Grit protrusion" is usually used to describe how much abrasive grains stick out above their substrate, and so all sharpening stones will have some degree of grit protrusion, which affects the cut rate of the stone. But you mean like a blob of extra abrasive on the stone?

I didn't mind so much about the "hanger" so much on the Spyderco so much as I was just using it to put on a relief angle and would put on a final edge on the grey at an increased angle but this 600 grit will be my finishing stone.I do have a DMT 325 grit I bought 30 years ago but it wasn't coarse enough for hogging of steel so I returned to my oilstones.AS you may surmised I used heavy pressure with it.I dug it out a while back and just used it as a final stone.It does produce a good final edge even with the abuse it took.It obviously doesn't cut as coarse as it once did but it is still usable.I now know diamonds take a light touch so I thought i would give them another chance.Thank You for your responses and anyone else feel free to sound off.

Back