Gryphon Knives?

What's your opinion on them? I am interested in the M-10 boot knife, but am considering the others.

Thanks.

steve

I have the M35 bowie. The blade is a faithful reproduction of the Randall No.14 but in 3/16th AUS-8 steel. The handle is hard krayton or something similar. The grind lines are precise, the fit and finsh are very good. I'd bet the same folks make this and the Fallkniven line. I like mine and thought it was well worth the money.

Current issue of TK has a good writeup on the M-10, done by Mike Janich.

I am ordering one of the M-10's tomorrow.

I had handled them previously, but at the time I was mostly into folders. Now that I am into fixed mostly, I am really interested. And the fact that it has a Humelbaugh (Survival Sheath) sheath is really a great selling point.

Also, the fact that it is an 99% encapsulated tang is antother strong feature for me.

Email end of next week, and I will post my thoughts on it, if you like.

I have their Bowie and the M30A1 fighter.

VERY good knives. The latter one had the sharpest edge I ever saw on a factory knife. Both have perfect fit and finish.

I like the latter's hard Zytel handle over the softer Kraton on the bowie though.

Cutlery Shoppe sells these.

The M-10 is a sweet knife! I've had mine for a few weeks. It is a plain jane knife in appearance, but handling it is another story. The grip is very well executed. It works in any position, the side of the handle is even ramped as it gets to the guard so if you're holding it like a paint brush you have some grip. It carries very well. I haven't used the tech-lok, I put a regular Kydex clip on it and have been carrting IWB. Very easy to carry. You will be pleased with it.

The Gryphon M-10 is an outstanding little defensive knife and perfect for JAK's Drawpoint system! In fact, it is the knife featured in his Reverse Grip (Drawpoint) Knife Fighting tape, which IMHO, is the fastest way of responding to a surprise attack. Rob Hummelbaugh (Survival Sheath Systems) makes a great multi-carry sheath that comes with it, and can also be set up in one of his excellent shoulder rigs. While the sheath will adapt nicely to IWB carry, it is not set up for absolute speed and grip acquisition in reverse grip, so I made some up that are similar to the one used in Keating's tape.

Over in Practical tactical, Greg Walker has been giving us running commentary over the last few months of real-world field testing of edged tools among some "high speed, low drag" operators currently deployed in the Gulf. He has just reported his findings in a new thread over there, listing several categories. the Gryphon M10 appears twice:

Best Boot Knife - Cutlery Shoppe Gryphon Boot (M10)
Best Pure H2H Killing Knife - Cutlery Shoppe Gryphon - Terzuola BG

Sounds like a solid thumbs up to me!

I've had an M-10 for 7-8 years or so (whenever they first came out)--an exclusive for the Cutlery Shoppe, designed by Bob Terzuola. Hands down my favorite boot knife (and Terzuola knife), and possibly of any fixed blade. I remember reading this knife was a favorite of James Keating. They weren't in the catalog for a long time, and it's good to see them back. I'd grab one without hesistation, if I were you.

a very badass knife. Do not hesitate to buy one. Also buy the video and practice..I had mine since they first came out. Japan makes the finest AUS-8 steel in the world! It out performs many other higher rated steels. These knives are indestructible.

Still made. Available exclusively from one dealer, I think they even own the brand now.

Japan makes a fantastic aus8 steel used in these Knives. Very tuff steel. I have 3 Gryphon Knife models. They are what I have used when deployed...

Back