GSO 3.5 (2nd Generation)

Jordyn emailed me yesterday after I had asked about my 4.1 f2 grind and said, "Your GSO-4.1 Factory 2nd has already been through production grinding, so it will have a Saber-Flat grind."

That's exactly what I'm trying to have Jordyn look into for me as well, just not sure how recent F2nd orders fall in line to that of pre-sale/pre-orders (too confused between the two now) from last year. I ordered a 5.1 in May2016 and a 4.1 July2016, what I'd like to know is if any of these 2nds ordered this year are being produced from orders from last year. One of the Survive updates that went out this past June highlighted the news of the split production locations, it further mentioned that future productions from that point forward would start to convert over to Millit. I would hope they can distinguish this by order# and or the date orders were placed for the various pre-sales and pre-orders.

I think the latest is that they are working with Millit to change the grind to be as flat as possible. I understand that means changes to/of the machines and cnc programming.

Last edited:
*sigh* I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want them to start doing what they say they're going to do.

I concur with all the above!

I understand that they should be getting the new samples soon and that they will have a very slight (almost flat) hollow grind. In particular, if they can manage to do a "3D" grind (like CRK) where the blade retains sufficient thickness/strength at the tip, then I expect to be absolutely fine with it in a knife of this size. That remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful that Guy isn't taking chances with his reputation for building a strong knife.

Re the also mentioned 4.1s, incl. recently ordered 2nds, I understand that these have all been ground and are not affected by the change.

Do you know if the 7/7s and (F2nd) 2.7s have also been ground already? I've been following the discussion on here as much as possible but I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about this. I have emailed Survive! but would prefer to know as soon as possible rather than waiting however long they might take to get back to me.

Do you know if the 7/7s and (F2nd) 2.7s have also been ground already? I've been following the discussion on here as much as possible but I don't remember seeing anything mentioned about this. I have emailed Survive! but would prefer to know as soon as possible rather than waiting however long they might take to get back to me.

Sorry, I don't. Maybe another member has been following those and can chime in.

My experience has been that it can take a while for them to respond to emails, but they have replied to every one (of the few I have sent) so far.

The production update is due this week. Let's hope it provides the info we're all waiting for.

Sorry, I don't. Maybe another member has been following those and can chime in.

My experience has been that it can take a while for them to respond to emails, but they have replied to every one (of the few I have sent) so far.

The production update is due this week. Let's hope it provides the info we're all waiting for.

I was told my 7/7 2nd would be finished "soon". It is a March 2016 order. So the 7/7 isn't has already been ground. The milit ground knives are "future" knives. The hysteria over whether old orders will be hallow grind is kinda silly.

I was told my 7/7 2nd would be finished "soon". It is a March 2016 order. So the 7/7 isn't has already been ground. The milit ground knives are "future" knives. The hysteria over whether old orders will be hallow grind is kinda silly.
Maybe I/we missed it, but I, for one, am not sure what "future" knives means.
Does "future" relate to when the model was/is being offered for sale/pre-order etc or where it is in the line-up for production?
My understanding is the latter. (I should add that I don't know where the 7/7 or 2.7 stand in that regard as I don't have orders for either and haven't been following them).
IOW, even if the knife was ordered in 2016, if the model hasn't already been ground, chances are that will be done by Millit. Again, I could be wrong, but that is how I understand it.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's kind of how I was understanding things; that all knives yet to be ground will be done by Millit who it seems only have the capacity to hollow grind. What I wasn't sure about was whether all the 7/7s and 2.7s were already ground by their previous provider and therefore flat. I could have imagined this possibility given that they're at the front of the line but I don't know how much of what process they fulfill in what quantity of batches. Do all models get ground in one go or are they staggered in line with how they ship?

I've yet to see anything to make me feel secure that the knives I'm waiting for are definitely coming with flat grinds. I don't feel hysterical but I do think there's a reasonable justification to holding and discussing our concerns, especially within the information vacuums that Survive! keeps leaving us with.

Pretty sure the 7/7 was groubd long ago. Milit hasnt even started production. No one should think a 7/7 already ordered would be ground by milit. It was probably sent off to be ground long long ago

In my opinion it's not necessarily a silly issue considering no info was provided ahead of time, of course there is a level of speculation until we get one in hand (whenever that day comes) one day. I just don't want to feel let down if that day arrives and its not what was expected. I sent an email last Friday to ask these specific questions concerning order dates/batches going to one provider for grinding vs. another, etc. but have yet received a response.

Pretty sure the 7/7 was groubd long ago. Milit hasnt even started production. No one should think a 7/7 already ordered would be ground by milit. It was probably sent off to be ground long long ago

According to production updates some models have not been sent off for grinding yet and there is little (if any) information provided on which order (pre-sale/pre-order/starter....by date ordered) has been sent for grinding.

So why would believe it will be finished soon if it hasn't even been ground yet? Would appear your wait may be much longer unless you meant to say it has been ground already. Even at that rate it still seems to take longer these days even if it's been ground already at least longer than their anticipated times.

So why would believe it will be finished soon if it hasn't even been ground yet? Would appear your wait may be much longer unless you meant to say it has been ground already. Even at that rate it still seems to take longer these days even if it's been ground already at least longer than their anticipated times.

Yeah, typing on my phone has made my posts almost unreadable. The 7/7 were likely ground a while ago. I really dont believe they will be groubd by milit. I dont believe any orders in the past production are waitint to be ground. Your worries over whether a 4.1 or a 7/7 will be hollow ground by milit doesnt seem to warrant the 50 or so posts youve made about it. At some point well all realize the sky is NOT falling. Especially when milit just released a test or protype and thwy arent even griding production models at this tims.

Yeah, typing on my phone has made my posts almost unreadable. The 7/7 were likely ground a while ago. I really dont believe they will be groubd by milit. I dont believe any orders in the past production are waitint to be ground. Your worries over whether a 4.1 or a 7/7 will be hollow ground by milit doesnt seem to warrant the 50 or so posts youve made about it. At some point well all realize the sky is NOT falling. Especially when milit just released a test or protype and thwy arent even griding production models at this tims.

Nice sarcasm (ref. 50 posts), obviously information should be provided and I will keep the subject alive until so. Given the general timeline it take Survive to put knives into pre-sales and orders/production/finishing/testing, etc., I and others would agree that bringing this level of attention to this subject is valid in order to provide feedback to Survive to make any necessary changes in order to alleviate receiving something we weren't expecting.

Sorry, but you have like 35 posts just in this thread. Another 10 in the Instagram thread and who knows how many in the refunds and customer service threads. So yeah, very suspicious.

Actually 143 posts in just 4 threads. Sorry but it doesn't seem quite normal.

Unless you can reference some solid information that shows us how Survive! approaches getting the total quantity of a given model ground and, if they do stagger the approach, where they are within it then you're not really in a position to dismiss our concerns. Does anyone know how far through they are with the 7/7s? These seem pretty rare at present with many people who paid for the knife several years ago still waiting which may be suggestive that they're still not very far along seeing as they do generally seem to send them out in the order that they are paid for (with established exceptions). Furthermore, if they are struggling with money then staggering the grinding may have been the only financial option, which obviously lends weight to the idea of that approach.

Now I'm speculating here but I'm doing so reasonably I think. My trust in Survive! has been seriously eroded by the most recent developments despite remaining supportive about the preceding ones. For instance, when I was invited to buy an SK-6 why wasn't I told about the hollow grind, which seems to be a basic fact of what Millit can do so must of been known by Survive? Have I just paid for a deposit on an SK-6 that I will lose if I decide against it because of the hollow grind that I wasn't warned about? Perhaps they will find a solution to this problem but I really struggle with imagining how this situation has arisen without it containing some degree of willful disregard toward us.

I'm not trying to introduce needless negativity here, especially since things had calmed in that sense, but I find this new situation really problematic. I'm happy managing the wait by a well intended company that made errors on their business model and that I know will deliver a knife that conforms to my expectations but I'm not willing to accept modifications that weren't disclosed at the time of purchase when I was obviously going to be expecting more of the same. We know they were happy to proceed forward with hollow grinds without consultation and that level of disregard just opens up all sorts of mistrust about anything else and especially unknowns. Those unknowns are made even worse by a continued absence or ambiguity of information after it's been requested.

We all take leaps of faith (or not) from different points of knowing and, within reason, that's fine. You can continue to trust Survive! over this issue with regards to your 7/7 but I'm not so sure.

May I suggest we wait to see what info the upcoming 1st Friday Update holds?

Back