GSO 3.5 (2nd Generation)

Unless you can reference some solid information that shows us how Survive! approaches getting the total quantity of a given model ground and, if they do stagger the approach, where they are within it then you're not really in a position to dismiss our concerns. Does anyone know how far through they are with the 7/7s? These seem pretty rare at present with many people who paid for the knife several years ago still waiting which may be suggestive that they're still not very far along seeing as they do generally seem to send them out in the order that they are paid for (with established exceptions). Furthermore, if they are struggling with money then staggering the grinding may have been the only financial option, which obviously lends weight to the idea of that approach.

Now I'm speculating here but I'm doing so reasonably I think. My trust in Survive! has been seriously eroded by the most recent developments despite remaining supportive about the preceding ones. For instance, when I was invited to buy an SK-6 why wasn't I told about the hollow grind, which seems to be a basic fact of what Millit can do so must of been known by Survive? Have I just paid for a deposit on an SK-6 that I will lose if I decide against it because of the hollow grind that I wasn't warned about? Perhaps they will find a solution to this problem but I really struggle with imagining how this situation has arisen without it containing some degree of willful disregard toward us.

I'm not trying to introduce needless negativity here, especially since things had calmed in that sense, but I find this new situation really problematic. I'm happy managing the wait by a well intended company that made errors on their business model and that I know will deliver a knife that conforms to my expectations but I'm not willing to accept modifications that weren't disclosed at the time of purchase when I was obviously going to be expecting more of the same. We know they were happy to proceed forward with hollow grinds without consultation and that level of disregard just opens up all sorts of mistrust about anything else and especially unknowns. Those unknowns are made even worse by a continued absence or ambiguity of information after it's been requested.

We all take leaps of faith (or not) from different points of knowing and, within reason, that's fine. You can continue to trust Survive! over this issue with regards to your 7/7 but I'm not so sure.

My thoughts exactly.

Sorry, but you have like 35 posts just in this thread. Another 10 in the Instagram thread and who knows how many in the refunds and customer service threads. So yeah, very suspicious.

Actually 143 posts in just 4 threads. Sorry but it doesn't seem quite normal.

I'm so happy to see you have the time to actually count my posts by threads, I have expressed the passion I have for Survive Knives and want to see this company flourish but in light of this new development I can not resist to address the issue until there is some news or info. I've already expressed and shown extreme patience with the wait time (not sure how long you've waited for some of your models) but if knives are being produced with a grind outside what I paid for/expected that is a major issue. Please don't make this personal as you seem to be doing here, have you read all my posts? Most have been very positive especially with the wait periods as I've always been impressed by the end product. Some individuals on this sub forum know me personally and would tell you that is not where my postings are taking this. I've never cancelled an order or requested a refund, I'm just a concerned patron and want to be better informed of this current subject. I see many others here agree with this sentiment.

I just received a response from Survive:

"The models that are in the finishing stages in the SURVIVE! Workshop, GSO-4.1, GSO-7/7, and GSO-2.7, have already completed production and gone through production grinding, so they will not have the new grind from Millit."

The rest of the message simply reiterated what we've already been told about Millit producing a hollow grind for all additional models that probably won't be noticable to most people, that nothing is definitive yet anyway and Survive! won't proceed with anything that they're not 100% happy with.

Well, that puts me more at ease about my 2.7 and 7/7 at least. I'm still not sure what to think about the SK-6 though or any other model that I might have considered purchasing.

Well, that's some good news.
Re the other models, best to just wait.

And breathe.

Last edited:
I got a similar stated message from Jordyn on the 4.1 but the 5.1s will be done by Millit so were batting .500 (lol). Just hope they can turn it out as flat as possible, time will tell I suppose.

Update on instagram with another version of the 3.5 by Millit - the hollow is looking VERY close to flat, and Guy mentions that they are still working with them to get the plunge right. Guy even shows the results of testing the previous Millit samples :D it didn't go too well, but he is confident that they are getting there :thumbsup: i think we'll ALL be pretty satisfied with the result. I am really curious to see what happens when they start production on the 10 and 12 ...

ETA - for those not wanting to hit up instagram, here is my post copying the text with links to the videos themselves:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...am-and-facebook.1350988/page-39#post-17510651

So in your professional opinion, what do you think Guy doing to destroy those blanks like that?

In my "professional opinion" :D the tips look to have snapped from prying, my guess is stabbing into and prying out of a 2x4, Guy has shown that test in a few videos. The snapped-out primaries look to be from some hard batonning - I am not sure what they were used against, but it had to have induced some major twisting to do that to such a large area of the blade! In the box, you can see some smaller chip-outs from what may have been mild steel (e.g. nails), but the blow-outs on that hollow-grind 3.5 is something to see! Once again, it renews my faith in Guy to NOT put out something that isn't up to the tasks he has in mind :thumbsup:

In my "professional opinion" :D the tips look to have snapped from prying, my guess is stabbing into and prying out of a 2x4, Guy has shown that test in a few videos. The snapped-out primaries look to be from some hard batonning - I am not sure what they were used against, but it had to have induced some major twisting to do that to such a large area of the blade! In the box, you can see some smaller chip-outs from what may have been mild steel (e.g. nails), but the blow-outs on that hollow-grind 3.5 is something to see! Once again, it renews my faith in Guy to NOT put out something that isn't up to the tasks he has in mind :thumbsup:
That makes sense to me. I've only seen massive, circular chips like that on big knives before. He must have been doing some serious research!

Here's a comparison of the hollow ground prototype (right) and what Millit was able to do for a flat grind for us.View attachment 779487

Looking good, got another message from Jordyn before I headed out of state basically stating the grinds would be as close to flat as possible but lack of Cricket coverage in extreme NE Iowa I missed all the news from the Instagram postings. I assumed it was going to be that way for the 3.5s and the 5.1 I ordered a year back but that the 4.1 was certainly going to be flat from the prior provider. Great news for sure!

Looking good, got another message from Jordyn before I headed out of state basically stating the grinds would be as close to flat as possible but lack of Cricket coverage in extreme NE Iowa I missed all the news from the Instagram postings. I assumed it was going to be that way for the 3.5s and the 5.1 I ordered a year back but that the 4.1 was certainly going to be flat from the prior provider. Great news for sure!
Glad to hear you're back in the loop. I'm guessing things evolved from the time Jordyn responded to you and Millit made their announcement. Good news for sure. Flat grind FTW!!!!!!

Amazing news in a 10 day time frame, I assumed that it would be a priority of theirs to get the grind right but not so fast. Now for some testing news to hopefully follow.

Amazing news in a 10 day time frame, I assumed that it would be a priority of theirs to get the grind right but not so fast. Now for some testing news to hopefully follow.
From what I've seen on Instagram (go to the second to last page of the Instagram thread here), the testing phase is done and Millit is ready to grind and ship. Not sure what this means as far as when blades will get to customers, but this sure is looking promising.

The seconds (and especially the uglies) have been a wonderful bargain, but I suspect that they will become rare on the 3.5 and succeeding models.

The seconds (and especially the uglies) have been a wonderful bargain, but I suspect that they will become rare on the 3.5 and succeeding models.

^This is probably true.
Having said that, it seems to me that a number of the 4.1s were deemed seconds after the “peening” process, where the finish was less than Guy’s idea of perfect - but I suspect he’s getting that dialed in as well.
I agree with N ni1s and share the excitement about the 3.5, which is why I ordered one in each flavor of steel :)
I haven’t had enough use with it, but I keep going back to admiring how thin behind the edge the new spec 4.1s are - fabulous. So far, Millit’s grind looks awesome. Hope they can match the 4.1s in that regard, too.

Back