GSO 3.5 or 4.1?

i regret selling my gso 4.1 and now I'm debating whether to get another 4.1 or 3.5. Any thought in what would you guys recommend and why? Thanks

i regret selling my gso 4.1 and now I'm debating whether to get another 4.1 or 3.5. Any thought in what would you guys recommend and why? Thanks

Good question I'm kinda of curious between the two as well. I have the 4.1 but contemplating getting both.

Plus the awaiting 4.1 Scandi ahh so many good choices lol.

My preference is the GSO 4.1 over the 3.1. The 4.1 is actually the smallest I would go. Any smaller and I might as well use my ZT folder. Good luck.

I got both ! The 3.1 I got as a size to fit into a jacket pocket ,though I'd like a minimalist kydex sheath. 3.1 is small game sized and all'round blade.

What will your main uses be? The 4.1 really seems like the most popular model out there, so there's that.

3.5 is an EXTREMELY capable blade.

My favorite is the 4.1 but there's not much you can do with the 4.1 that you can't do with the 3.5 and a little prior planning.

I've been working quite a bit with both blades and would be more than happy with either one when heading into the woods.

B

Chop,

I have both and I can say the 4.1 is my favorite of the two. You really didn't say what you would be using the knife for so I will start with what you did say. If you regret selling your 4.1( I understand I sold my back up 4.1 and am currently waiting to buy another) I would buy what you know you already like. I love the 3.5 too, but the hand feel and over all geometry of the 4.1 can't be beat.

Brain_T is correct I think I could do almost anything with the 3.5 that I can do with the 4.1. With that said I would not want to. Each size of the GSO line has some benefits and usage that will suit that blade better, I find the 3.5 to be a better EDC/utility blade. The 4.1 is a better all around outdoor/bushcraft/hunting knife. I knowI can take the 4.1 out in the woods and it will cover 99% of anything I possibly need it for, the 3.5 IMO is around 75%. Now if you are going to pair blades the 5.1 or 7/7 paired with the 3.5 would be untouchable (but that if for a different thread).

Bottom line, no matter which one you buy it going to be a great blade and will serve you well. I would just buy both and fully scratch the itch.... sorry but that is what I would do.

Last edited:
I agree with much of what has already been posted :thumbup:

I never got a 3.5 due in part to limited funds but also specific utility. The 3.5 looks to be an excellent light-weight little fixed blade, but I have folders that usually fill that role for me. I'd rather have a fixed-blade than a folder processing game, but the 4.1 is sufficiently capable in that role. With S!K I am expecting to beat on the knife in ways that the small blade and small handle of the 3.5 don't encourage me to do, just not enough purchase though I don't doubt the durability. For a young kid or an average woman, I'd have no trouble recommending the 3.5 as a good outdoor blade. Also, if you already own a GSO-5 or similar blade, a step down to the 3.5 might make more sense than a smaller step down to the 4.1, offering greater versatility. That's my $0.02

SK-4 just 'cause:

P1010623.JPG

Gentlemen with much better credentials already gave thorough answers, but I'll emphasize that unless you are planning to EDC or skin a tadpole in the field I think the 4.1 would do more for you over the 3.5.

And like they said that you said, you already miss your 4.1.

I like my 3.5 quite a bit, but it is rather small. So keep that in mind. Here it is next to an Izula:

p0EeiOV.jpg

If it's a solo blade.. 4.1

If you do what I do and pair it with something bigger.. 3.5

I have my 3.5 & 6 paired up right now. Sheaths are attached and I have the ultimate knife combo in my opinion. Pics are on the jungletraining forum if you google it. I had the 4.1 and it was an in between size for me and I find better versatility with the 2 blades. YMMV

The best thing about the 3.5 is I can drop it in my pants pocket or chore coat pocket. Izula convenience with larger blade capability. Can't go wrong either way, though.

For me the 3.5 is better because it has a thinner edge and it's lighter weight. For me, a general purpose knife with a keen edge is more useful than a big knife with a thick edge. I do a little batoning for kindling but most of what I use a knife for is bushcrafty things and food prep. A thin edge is world's better for that than a thick one. And the fact that it's lighter weight means I'm more likely to carry it and less likely to have issues with it while hiking on the trail. Some knives just like to pull your pants down.:eek:

Shotgun you make a good point for the 3.5. For you that seems to better for the smaller blade. I am waiting for the OP to post up what he is settling on. Me, I go for the set of big and little blades. I do wear a belt, so the pull the pants issue is not a big deal. LOL

Shotgun you make a good point for the 3.5. For you that seems to better for the smaller blade. I am waiting for the OP to post up what he is settling on. Me, I go for the set of big and little blades. I do wear a belt, so the pull the pants issue is not a big deal. LOL

I wear a wilderness instructor belt and still have issues. Linebacker thighs...:D

I'd say the 3.5, I enjoy the 4.1's, but feel the 3.5 makes it on the day/weekend trips more often. If you end up not liking it you will probably be able to sell or trade for a 4.1 or vice versa. That's what I thought and kept both :eek:

If you're only going to get one or the other, I'd go with the GSO-4.1.

That said, this greedy knife monster has BOTH! :D
15901757215_88fbaa95fc_b.jpg

Good luck!

Back