GSO 3.5 question

Does anyone know if the GSO 3.5's tangs are going to be skeletonized? I read on Survives! facebook page that the next batch of 4.1's were of an old batch and were going to be skeletonized tangs whereas future batches of the 4.1's were going to be solid tangs. That got be wondering if the 3.5's were skeletonized or not. Thanks for any insight.

The 3.5s that I have are skeletonized. The new update said they wont be in the future.

The 3.5s that I have are skeletonized. The new update said they wont be in the future.

That is correct, they are currently skeletonized. When we begin new production, the future runs of GSO-3.5s will be solid tang and will have three handle bolts. Well, and you'll also notice some very distinct design changes from the current spec. ;)

Thanks for the responses guys. Can't wait to obtain my first survive knife.

That is correct, they are currently skeletonized. When we begin new production, the future runs of GSO-3.5s will be solid tang and will have three handle bolts. Well, and you'll also notice some very distinct design changes from the current spec. ;)

I purchased a 3.5 (CPM-20CV) when they were re stocked and were up on the site last week, will I receive the non skeletonized one with 3 handle bolts as opposed to 2 bolts?

Thanks for letting me know.

I'm not trying to do Ellie's or Guy's job by answering, but the stuff that is or was on the site is all old stock. So your 3.5 will be skeletonized with 2 bolts.

I purchased a 3.5 (CPM-20CV) when they were re stocked and were up on the site last week, will I receive the non skeletonized one with 3 handle bolts as opposed to 2 bolts?

Thanks for letting me know.

The only GSO-3.5 of the new spec that is available for purchase right now is through the SURVIVE! Starter pages. The knives on the regular product pages for sale now and discounted 20% for the spring cleaning sale are the previous spec, which has the two bolt design and a skeletonized handle.

The only GSO-3.5 of the new spec that is available for purchase right now is through the SURVIVE! Starter pages. The knives on the regular product pages for sale now and discounted 20% for the spring cleaning sale are the previous spec, which has the two bolt design and a skeletonized handle.

Thanks for that info.
Re: last weeks 'in stock' purchase, hopefully it will ship sooner then later.

The 3.5 page on Starter says (as you did in a recent post) that there are design changes to the 3.5. Any chance of getting a pic of the new design, or at least a modeling of it, posted there? I've been considering a 3.5; but every time I've caught them in stock, at least one of the options I select is unavailable.
My current thought is if I jump for the 12, I might as well get the 3.5...

Oh - I saw mention of much sharper 90 degree spines on the new production...any way to opt out of that?

Oh - I saw mention of much sharper 90 degree spines on the new production...any way to opt out of that?

I was curious about this too, I'm not sure why everyone keeps asking for sharp spines? For ferro rods?

I'd love to have a non sharpened spine, but not sure if the new peening finishing process will make this too hard to do for one offs. Guess we could always just round them off ourselves too.

I was curious about this too, I'm not sure why everyone keeps asking for sharp spines? For ferro rods?
I'd love to have a non sharpened spine, but not sure if the new peening finishing process will make this too hard to do for one offs. Guess we could always just round them off ourselves too.
Bingo! If you can sharpen a knife you can soften the spine.
The sharp edges are useful for scraping, for ferro rods and wood or anything that needs to be flattened without gouging or to avoid damaging the cutting edge.

Bingo! If you can sharpen a knife you can soften the spine.
The sharp edges are useful for scraping, for ferro rods and wood or anything that needs to be flattened without gouging or to avoid damaging the cutting edge.

Same could be said inversely for a rounded spine that someone could sharpen it, which I've seen a few of floating on the web. Maybe they didn't know survive! offers a ferro notch?

Not sure why someone would buy a hard use tool and then worry about babying the edge. Seems counterintuitive, but hey different strokes I guess.

Hhmoore, if you read some other threads here or check the S! Facebook page, they've said they're working on getting renderings of new models ready to share as soon as possible. Maybe today or tomorrow, but the person making them had some technical difficulties. They're coming as soon as they're ready.

B34NS, a lot of bushcrafters and others really value a sharpened spine to make the knife all around more useful for ferro rods and other things. I'm pretty impartial myself, but I know some people won't even bother with a knife if the spine doesn't have 90° edges. Guy must have gotten a lot of customer feed back on this if he is making a change.

Last edited:
Hhmoore, if you read dome other threads here or check the S! Facebook page, they've said they're working on getting renderings of new models ready to share as soon as possible. Maybe today or tomorrow, but the person making them had some technical difficulties. They're coming as soon as they're ready.

B34NS, a lot of bushcrafters and others really value a sharpened spine to make the knife all around more useful for ferro rods and other things. I'm pretty impartial myself, but I know some people won't even bother with a knife if the spine doesn't have 90 edges. Guy must have gotten a lot of customer feed back on this if he is making a change.

You and hhmoore make some fair points. I just figured the bushcraft guys were already carrying SAK's, Opinels, or multi-tools which all have great striking surfaces. As far as the 3.5 goes, striking a ferro rod with the edge isn't going to hurt it any, but the ferro notch works amazing imo. Guess for the guys with larger firesteels the sharpened spine would be attractive.

Same could be said inversely for a rounded spine that someone could sharpen it ...(snip)... different strokes I guess.

I too prefer a rounded spine for most cutting chores ... but a sharp spine (90' edge) does make a good scraper for everything from debarking branches to de-tarring fingernails, and the "bushcraft" thing is still popular so I expect there's been a lot of demand. Whatever gets these models made and keeps the pricing low :thumbup:
It is easier to knock the shoulders off a sharp spine than to give it a sharp edge (less metal to remove) - heck, folk often struggle to put a sharp angle on the cutting edge. *shrug* But for those who want a coated blade with comfortable thumb-placement, a choice must be made. I'll be going un-coated and will soften the spine as needed. I haven't softened the spine of my coated SK-4 yet but will likely do so in the near future.

Hhmoore, if you read dome other threads here or check the S! Facebook page, they've said they're working on getting renderings of new models ready to share as soon as possible. Maybe today or tomorrow, but the person making them had some technical difficulties. They're coming as soon as they're ready.
Sorry if my question has been asked and answered to the point of annoyance - I don't follow this particular subforum, and I'm not gong looking on facebook. I happened to see the notice about the 12 in New Posts, which is the only reason I ended up here.
Unsubscribing, moving on.....

Sorry if my question has been asked and answered to the point of annoyance ...

No annoyance at all, be easy, he just gave you some additional info to qualify his statement in case you wanted to check for yourself. We're in it together, don't take offense.

Does the sharpened spine on the Starter 3.5s mean that the new models won't have a ferro notch option, as it will no longer be necessary?

It is easier to knock the shoulders off a sharp spine than to give it a sharp edge

Exactly right. And softening the spine can easily be done without leaving a bunch of grinding marks or badly marring the factory finish. I can see why Guy would choose this route.

Back