GSO 3.5 question

Guy, why the change from skeletonised to solid tang? Just curious, as I really like my GSO 3.5 exactly as it is.

There are several reasons for the move to solid tang on most of the knives. For one, it will reduce the cost of cutting the blades. Since we're moving away from less expensive laser cutting to more expensive water jet cutting and then machining the blades to size, deleting the skeletonizing will help offset some of the cost increase.

On the functional side of things it will eliminate the air pocket in between the handles, where corrosion can sometimes form more aggressively. We've gotten a few blades back where the heaviest corrosion is hidden right there in the middle of the knife. Also, I really like having 100% mating surface between the handle and blade tang on these medium and large knives. If your bowdrill divot would happen to burn through after extended use, the tang will stop it for sure, keeping the divot useable, where a skeletonized pocket wouldn't. The full tang also helps eliminate blade flexing under hard use and while I've only ever had the one failure with a Bohler M-390 blade, I figure it is better safe than sorry. I know for sure the issue was because of a flaw in the steel and a perfect storm of circumstances BUT it would have never failed if the blade has been a solid tang. I've only ever had that one warranty replacement but even that one still eats at me.

To me even one failure in the field is unacceptable. I offer a lifetime warranty, so it was taken care of but that isn't really the reason I offer the warranty. I offer it because I truly believe that my products should last you at least a lifetime. Deleting the skeletonizing didn't substantially change the weight or dramatically affect balance point, so I went for it.

I'll still offer the smaller knives skeletonized because they can't physically be subjected to the same forces as the larger blades and for something you're going to wear like a neck knife, every few grams of weight reduction helps with comfort.

I would pay 5.00 extra for jimping.

Save your money Sir, the new GSO-3.5 will have spine jimping!

Why would you need jimping on a 3.5" knife?

Guess its just me but I like jimping on all my knives where possible. Just feel better knowing its there if I need it eh? OMG Guy beat me to the post!!!! THERE WILL BE JIMPING!!!! I am so happy right now. Thank you humbly Survive!

I can respect those points :thumbup:

Was just curious mostly, I always like hearing from fans of all sides of the fence.

The jimping on the survive! knives is the best I've seen for production knives lately, which is why I trust what he's got cooking.

Great point about the skeletonized handle and the bow drill divot Guy.

There are several reasons for the move to solid tang on most of the knives. For one, it will reduce the cost of cutting the blades. Since we're moving away from less expensive laser cutting to more expensive water jet cutting and then machining the blades to size, deleting the skeletonizing will help offset some of the cost increase.

On the functional side of things it will eliminate the air pocket in between the handles, where corrosion can sometimes form more aggressively. We've gotten a few blades back where the heaviest corrosion is hidden right there in the middle of the knife. Also, I really like having 100% mating surface between the handle and blade tang on these medium and large knives. If your bowdrill divot would happen to burn through after extended use, the tang will stop it for sure, keeping the divot useable, where a skeletonized pocket wouldn't. The full tang also helps eliminate blade flexing under hard use and while I've only ever had the one failure with a Bohler M-390 blade, I figure it is better safe than sorry. I know for sure the issue was because of a flaw in the steel and a perfect storm of circumstances BUT it would have never failed if the blade has been a solid tang. I've only ever had that one warranty replacement but even that one still eats at me.

To me even one failure in the field is unacceptable. I offer a lifetime warranty, so it was taken care of but that isn't really the reason I offer the warranty. I offer it because I truly believe that my products should last you at least a lifetime. Deleting the skeletonizing didn't substantially change the weight or dramatically affect balance point, so I went for it.

I'll still offer the smaller knives skeletonized because they can't physically be subjected to the same forces as the larger blades and for something you're going to wear like a neck knife, every few grams of weight reduction helps with comfort.

Save your money Sir, the new GSO-3.5 will have spine jimping!

Great info thanks, but I just bought one last week when they were restocked, any chance of emailing you with my name/order # and paying for a bit of classic Survive! jimping on my 3.5 before it ships?

Thanks.

Great info thanks, but I just bought one last week when they were restocked, any chance of emailing you with my name/order # and paying for a bit of classic Survive! jimping on my 3.5 before it ships?

Thanks.

I'd be willing to pay for some jimping on my recently ordered knives… also wouldn't mind waiting a little longer for it

Last edited:

Thanks.

The jimping is added when the blade blank is cut out. It isn't something that is ground in later. They are pretty exact 1/16" diameter circles, cnc cut into the blade on 1/8" centers. We did a good bit of experimenting with what sized cutouts and on what spacing might feel best and finally settled on that. The fact that they aren't ground in, with super sharp corners is probably another reason they're pretty comfortable, at least as far as spine jimping goes.

We didn't put the spine jimping on the .125" thick current production blades because at that thin of a cross section the jimping starts to feel more like a thumb saw instead of solid traction. I decided to add it to the new spec GSO-3.5 because we moved up in thickness to a .140" thick blade. It is a small bump up in thickness but it really makes a difference having the increased surface area.

We didn't put the spine jimping on the .125" thick current production blades because at that thin of a cross section the jimping starts to feel more like a thumb saw instead of solid traction. I decided to add it to the new spec GSO-3.5 because we moved up in thickness to a .140" thick blade. It is a small bump up in thickness but it really makes a difference having the increased surface area.

Yea I was going to say I've never had a problem of my 3.5 falling out my hands ;) I could take jimping or leave it. My background in food has me usually "pinch" the blade in order to choke up which is where the jimping tends to wreck hands in my case. So far what you have put forward has been great in my book although I'm still pumped on my jimpless 4.1. Thanks for hearing us non-jimping fans out though. Curious to hear more about the switch on the thickness from .125" to .140"

The jimping is added when the blade blank is cut out. It isn't something that is ground in later. They are pretty exact 1/16" diameter circles, cnc cut into the blade on 1/8" centers. We did a good bit of experimenting with what sized cutouts and on what spacing might feel best and finally settled on that. The fact that they aren't ground in, with super sharp corners is probably another reason they're pretty comfortable, at least as far as spine jimping goes.

Ahhh, got ya', thanks for explaining. :thumbup:

Guy,

Your jimping explanation makes perfect sense. That being said, how do you decide location for the added ferro notch?

Guy,

Your jimping explanation makes perfect sense. That being said, how do you decide location for the added ferro notch?

The ferro notch is still in the same place as it is on the other knives, relatively. We make sure it is out far enough that it doesn't get in the way of a thumb, but not so far that it is awkward to use. Guy is amazingly good at eyeballing it and still having all the ferro notches be in the same place for every GSO-3.5. The rest of us put marks on the machine to keep us in line.

There's a joke in there somewhere.....

:D

Although I'd expect these bushcrafters to know that they could strike a ferro rod more than just their knife, with flint/chert/quartz, broken glass, ceramic. Other than that I'm always curious why someone would sharpen the spine when your edge is already plenty sharp.

Order Date: Mar 18th 2015
:thumbup:
"This order is marked as Shipped"
1 x GSO-3.5
(Steel: CPM-20CV: + $5, Handles: Green Canvas, Fasteners: Tumbled, Sheath: Black Kydex, Bow Drill Divot: No, thank you, Ferro Notch: No, thank you)

Lucky you. I checked my status as soon I saw your email, and it's still awaiting fulfillment. Hopefully it won't be long for you. Enjoy your knife!

So you can jimp while you jimp while you thumbramp? :thumbup:

Lack of knife control?

Blood... slippery when wet.

The newly revised next 3.5 with jimping.... yes! :thumbup:

11123875_1568561910071517_1129762574_n_zpslt4n3452.jpg

Last edited:
Blood... slippery when wet.

Sorry I got ya'll here now so I figured I'd ask is all. I really appreciate hearing what other users enjoy aside from the ornamental factors of knife design, and not the nutnfancy "moar jimping bro" reasons. Always dig a fresh perspective. Not saying anything bad about Guy's work, makes total sense on the necker and a few other models. Although I haven't been thrilled with many other production options out there. I'm also a fan of diy mods for use case and if it's already there, kinda takes the fun out of it.

Just saw the 3.5 mockup! I think it looks great. Can't wait to see some more angles!

Last edited:
Order Date: Mar 18th 2015
:thumbup:
"This order is marked as Shipped"
1 x GSO-3.5
(Steel: CPM-20CV: + $5, Handles: Green Canvas, Fasteners: Tumbled, Sheath: Black Kydex, Bow Drill Divot: No, thank you, Ferro Notch: No, thank you)

Did you get a tracking number too?
I got an email saying order is shipped but no tracking..with the previous order tracking was sent in a separate email..didn't get anything this time

Did you get a tracking number too?
I got an email saying order is shipped but no tracking..with the previous order tracking was sent in a separate email..didn't get anything this time

I ordered a set of camo micarta handles for mine and didn't get tracking either, just a shipping update. They just arrived and are great! Shipped on April 1st and arrived today in SC via first lass mail.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428081672.373731.jpg

Back