GSO 4.1 in S90V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the novelty of owning a knife where only 60 were produced, would I see any practical benefit (other than lightening my wallet) over the standard 3V version. Not trying to start a metallurgical discussion between the steels, one has better wear resistance and the other has better toughness, but both are high quality steels, so would a weekend warrior really see a difference.

There is an opportunity to pick up a regular 3V 5 and a 4.1 in S90V, but if there is no practical benefit, I may just pass on them.

Personally I don't think there is any practical benefit to a S90V GSO 4.1. To be completely honest I don't find any practical advantage for a knife steel better than 1095 for a weekend warrior. I've used Esee's for two days straight without the need for re sharpening.

That being said however, feels good to go out with CPM 3V and know I have a badass steel. I say go for it if the money is there.

On the contrary i would say s90v is plenty tough, especially for bushcraft type stuff. CPM 3v is also more prone to corrosion and pitting, while s90v is not.

I agree with you completely on the 1095. My problem is that I am picky about handle ergos and blade design, and I have found the GSO's to fit my tastes both for ergos and design.

The GSO 6 is about the perfect knife, but if an ESEE 5 was 3/16" instead of 1/4", that too would be almost perfect.

On the contrary i would say s90v is plenty tough, especially for bushcraft type stuff. CPM 3v is also more prone to corrosion and pitting, while s90v is not.

I have no concerns regarding S90V toughness, or 3V corrosion/pitting, I'm simply inquiring if the cost vs benefit is enough to warrant getting the S90V version. Considering there were only 60 manufactured, I may just get it to add to my collection.

I have no concerns regarding S90V toughness, or 3V corrosion/pitting, I'm simply inquiring if the cost vs benefit is enough to warrant getting the S90V version. Considering there were only 60 manufactured, I may just get it to add to my collection.
If you spent a lot of time cutting abrasive materials you might see the difference between the 3V and S90V.

If you spent a lot of time cutting abrasive materials you might see the difference between the 3V and S90V.

No, I wouldn't spend a lot of time with abrasive materials, just the normal bushcraft/campcraft stuff. I'm pretty diligent about maintaining knives after use, so corrosion really isn't an issue, and I typically use a larger knife for heavy work, so the toughness isn't an issue either.

Much appreciated, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back