1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GSO 4.7 review

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by Revolverrodger, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    At the request of Silverneedle: my GSO 4.7 review
    After more than two months of use and 3 trips with this knife I can say that I love the 4.7.
    I have used if for many different tasks including food prep, chopping batoning, feathersticking etc...
    I must have batoned at least 40-50 pieces of hard wood with it and it remains extermely sharp. I am very impressed by the CPM 3V and their (old) HT.
    I have used it in very cold -20 degree conditions and didn't have any failures or chips. Even after falling in snow a few times there is no corrosion on it.
    an excellent knife worth waiting for :D

Here is the vid of the review... hope you like it

[video=youtube;qa0JFFvVjuY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0JFFvVjuY[/video]

Who else thinks the 4.7 is the perfect midsize knife ?

2. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Nicely done RR. I know these winter trips are no easy task.

3. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    True... but being outside is always a good thing !

4. Karoi

Karoi Unobtanium Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Nice video RR! Thanks for sharing it. We have pretty much the opposite weather over here at the moment. It got up to 108 a few days ago :grumpy:

It's amazing how much you can do with the 4.7, yet it's still a compact knife.
    My Carothers field knife should be arriving next week, so I'm hoping to do a comparison of these two blades soonish.

5. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    uhhh can't wait for that showdown ! Thank you rr for the review that was great man

6. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks for the positive comments guys

7. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    Awesome review! I feel the same way about choils on medium sized knives. I am glad the GSO 8 will have one though.

8. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Great review! Nicely done video!

I'm surprised by the amount of reviews that have small bits of incorrect information that a minute or two on the website would alleviate. You were right on with everything :thumbup:
    I liked the mix of knife use, various angles while speaking and the on screen text with specs.

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd see if you can get the volume up when you're speaking. Everything worked fine playing the vid on my phone, but I turned the volume all the way up to hear. With that said you did much better than I could have!

9. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion !
    I guess it was on combination of the wool scarf and the cold

10. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    I really liked how the edge strength was shown when you broke the knife out of the batoned strikes into the wood. Showed off it's lateral strength very well.

I'm with you on the choil on the 5.1, I only bought it because I couldn't get a 6 yet :p

Great video and insights on the knife. Love those 4.7's!

11. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb

Nov 20, 2014
    That was a great video. I really enjoyed it and appreciate you posting it here!

12. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Oh I get it. Deep winter recording brings it's own challenges!

13. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    I was really impressed by the edge stability on that knife
    My next purchase will be the new gso 6 and then maybe the 8 if I'm not too old by then
    :D

14. tech25

tech25

Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks for the video!

15. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Thanks for the comment !
    I was just using my gso 4.7 this weekend to make a figure 4 trap and even if it's amuch bigger knife than a mira it was just as easy to carve the notches
    More I use it more I like it

16. rcb2000

rcb2000

Apr 15, 2014
    Great review 👍🏻
    The 4.7 is one of the best

17. OBX351

OBX351 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Great real world review!! Any spotting after you came home? I think the new finish and heat treat makes it even more resistant to spotting and staining. Have you resharpened it yet? If so what did you use and how long did it take to get it back to factory or near factory sharp? Thanks!!

18. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Absolutely no spots or wear on the finish.
    No need to sharpen it yet it's still quite sharp

19. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Alright, i watched it, subscribed to your channel :cool: But suddenly i looked over and saw you had a video with the OKC Cerberus!!! We need a comparison review, RR. Which do you like better and why? Is that OKC handle thick enough? It seemed awfully narrow...

Funny thing, I actually prefer my 5.1 with its choil because it lets me get close up to the heel of the blade like the Cerberus. I am tempted by that one, but not too impressed with the sheath vs what i get from S!K.

20. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    I would say that if I had to choose it would be the gso 4.7
    But the cerberus is awesome value for what you get. I'm impressed with the D2
    The handles are a bit thin but still comfortable... not as much as the GSO