GSO 4.7 review

At the request of Silverneedle: my GSO 4.7 review
After more than two months of use and 3 trips with this knife I can say that I love the 4.7.
I have used if for many different tasks including food prep, chopping batoning, feathersticking etc...
I must have batoned at least 40-50 pieces of hard wood with it and it remains extermely sharp. I am very impressed by the CPM 3V and their (old) HT.
I have used it in very cold -20 degree conditions and didn't have any failures or chips. Even after falling in snow a few times there is no corrosion on it.
an excellent knife worth waiting for :D

Here is the vid of the review... hope you like it

[video=youtube;qa0JFFvVjuY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0JFFvVjuY[/video]

Who else thinks the 4.7 is the perfect midsize knife ?

Nice video RR! Thanks for sharing it. We have pretty much the opposite weather over here at the moment. It got up to 108 a few days ago :grumpy:

It's amazing how much you can do with the 4.7, yet it's still a compact knife.
My Carothers field knife should be arriving next week, so I'm hoping to do a comparison of these two blades soonish.

Nice video RR! Thanks for sharing it. We have pretty much the opposite weather over here at the moment. It got up to 108 a few days ago :grumpy:

It's amazing how much you can do with the 4.7, yet it's still a compact knife.
My Carothers field knife should be arriving next week, so I'm hoping to do a comparison of these two blades soonish.
uhhh can't wait for that showdown ! Thank you rr for the review that was great man

Awesome review! I feel the same way about choils on medium sized knives. I am glad the GSO 8 will have one though.

Great review! Nicely done video!

I'm surprised by the amount of reviews that have small bits of incorrect information that a minute or two on the website would alleviate. You were right on with everything :thumbup:
I liked the mix of knife use, various angles while speaking and the on screen text with specs.

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd see if you can get the volume up when you're speaking. Everything worked fine playing the vid on my phone, but I turned the volume all the way up to hear. With that said you did much better than I could have!

Great review! Nicely done video!

I'm surprised by the amount of reviews that have small bits of incorrect information that a minute or two on the website would alleviate. You were right on with everything :thumbup:
I liked the mix of knife use, various angles while speaking and the on screen text with specs.

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd see if you can get the volume up when you're speaking. Everything worked fine playing the vid on my phone, but I turned the volume all the way up to hear. With that said you did much better than I could have!

Thanks for the suggestion !
I guess it was on combination of the wool scarf and the cold

I really liked how the edge strength was shown when you broke the knife out of the batoned strikes into the wood. Showed off it's lateral strength very well.

I'm with you on the choil on the 5.1, I only bought it because I couldn't get a 6 yet :p

Great video and insights on the knife. Love those 4.7's!

I was really impressed by the edge stability on that knife
My next purchase will be the new gso 6 and then maybe the 8 if I'm not too old by then
:D

Thanks for the comment !
I was just using my gso 4.7 this weekend to make a figure 4 trap and even if it's amuch bigger knife than a mira it was just as easy to carve the notches
More I use it more I like it

Great real world review!! Any spotting after you came home? I think the new finish and heat treat makes it even more resistant to spotting and staining. Have you resharpened it yet? If so what did you use and how long did it take to get it back to factory or near factory sharp? Thanks!!

Alright, i watched it, subscribed to your channel :cool: But suddenly i looked over and saw you had a video with the OKC Cerberus!!! We need a comparison review, RR. Which do you like better and why? Is that OKC handle thick enough? It seemed awfully narrow...

Funny thing, I actually prefer my 5.1 with its choil because it lets me get close up to the heel of the blade like the Cerberus. I am tempted by that one, but not too impressed with the sheath vs what i get from S!K.

I would say that if I had to choose it would be the gso 4.7
But the cerberus is awesome value for what you get. I'm impressed with the D2
The handles are a bit thin but still comfortable... not as much as the GSO

Back