1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GSO-5.1 CPM-3V on KP Duty

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by evltcat, Oct 11, 2014.

1. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I took my new GSO-5.1 into the kitchen today for a few chores...

First there was some Canadian Bacon that needed to meet an omelet...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then for lunch some cantaloupe that needed choppin'
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been looking for a knife in the 5" range for quite a while now. You know, something that won't freak people out on trail. ;)
    Tried several from different brands and makers and nothing really "clicked" with me.

I was just holding my GSO-5.1 after I washed her up and the way she just falls right into my hand is perfect.
    The lines and grind are perfect. The balance is fantastic, and she just "sings" to me. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I think I found my perfect 5" knife! Can't wait to use her again! :D

FWIW, If you're on the fence looking for a 5" knife and it's in your price range, give the GSO-5.1 a try.
    It's simply an all around great knife and I don't think you'll be disappointed!

My GSO-3.5 will be here next week. Happy dance, happy dance! Pix to come...

2. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Those melons don't stand a chance ! If they are stubborn just crack them open with the tang like you do with a coconut ! Now you've found that it has enough alloying to keep away the rust.
    5.1 is a good size for taking apart an elk . My 4.1 is always a pleasure to use .You're now another happy fan of 3V !!

3. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Wow, evlcat, reading your post was like watching a Disney love story. I'm glad it has a happy ending. I'm counting down the days until I get a GSO in my hands. If it lives up to the hype in my mind I really feel like it will be my favorite knife. Keep up the good work!

4. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    I have to fnd it, but I have videos of me filetting rainbow trout with my 5.1. It worked amazingly well.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. evltcat

Mar 7, 2011
    Yessir! I'm really, really liking S!K's 3V. It was fun opening that big melon with the 5.1! I have a feeling a 4.1 is in my future!! :D

LOL! I have been through a LOT of small fixed blades during the last several years, trying to find one that really works for me. Nothing else "clicked" like the GSO-5.1 does for me. I hope your GSO-5.1 works as well for you!!!! :thumbup:

Please do Riz, would love to see that video!!! :thumbup:

6. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
  7. evltcat

Mar 7, 2011
    Wow! You cut some great fillets with your 5.1!

Thanks for posting the vid Riz!!!!!! :thumbup: