GSO 5 Vs GSO 4.7 vs old GSO 4.1

Just curious, which you like better or which one do you reach for first and why?

I have both and thought the 4.7 wouldn't fit well in among the 4.1 and 5.0. Clearly I was wrong AND what the 4.7 has done is to drop my use of the other 2 knives. My 4.7 is my second favorite knife behind my 5.1. I love the size, feel and weight of the 4.7. It's not as powerful and it has a shorter blade height than the GSO 5 and it's bigger and more powerful than the 4.1 making the 4.7 just right. Don't get me wrong I still love my 5 my 4.1 but both knives take a back seat to the 4.7.

Agree with pretty much everything you said there OBX.
The 4.7 handle ergos are the best of any knife I have owned, wouldn't mind trying one with thumb scallops just to see if it could be made even better.
I still prefer my edc-4s over the 1st gen 4.1 for the handle feel and they are what I carry most of the time, elmax for fishing days and 3v for the woods.

I forgot how comfortable the EDC-4 is. Mine's stashed and out of use.

I still really like how small and light my 4.1 is compared to the 4.7 and 5. For camping and backpacking out here in CA during the summer I think I'll still lean towards the 4.1 because I'll just pack a Silky Pocket boy and GB Wildlife hatchet. Winter camping I actually prefer the larger 5.1 over my 4.7, but I haven't gotten the chance to bring out the 4.7 yet. For some reason I actually like the choil on the 5.1's and added blade length for the winter.

I begrudgingly agree with you, OBX!

My 5 was my absolute grail knife... until the 4.7 showed up. There's nothing I didn't love about the 5, but with the 4.7's handle contours and extra length is so great. The handle texturing is improved. The blade finish and heat treat are better as well. The one thing I miss about the 5 that has not been replicated is the blade height. I really like the blade profile of the 5, but the 4.7 is also pretty awesome. We'll see what I think of the 4.7 when the new 4.1 arrives! As far as a comparison of the 4.7 to an old spec 4.1, I'll start by saying I really like the old 4.1, a lot. With that said the 4.7 has it beat in the same areas that the 4.7 improved on the 5, even though it's bigger in every dimension. For my needs, I haven't found anything I can't do with the 4.7 that I can with the old 4.1.

My 4.7 has been hogging most of my attention since it showed up!

You guys are starting to make me wonder if I missed the on the 4.7 since I changed my order from the 5.1 to the 6.

If you keep thinking like that you'll eventually wind up with one of each model. ;)

I would kinda like to put my mitts on a GSO 5 at some point but just eyeballing its contours and comparing it to my 4.1's- 4.7 all the way. The 4.7 pushed the 5.1 down a peg, I think the new spec 4.1 might do the same to the 4.7.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I foresee the GSO-4.1 vs GSO-4.7 debate turning into something like the choil vs no choil debate. They seem so similar but are actually quite different. It will be personal preference that determines which is better, and neither group will be wrong.

I've had all of them at one point. 2.7, 3.5, 4.1, 4.7, 5, 5.1, 6, 7/7, and 10.

Currently using 1st gen 4.1 and the 2.7 just got here. The 4.1, my Husqvarna boys axe and hatchet, and my ESEE Junglas have most of my hunting and camping needs covered. That being said, I'm looking for another 10 (maybe a 12 when they show up) to replace the Junglas. That will be had to do.

I find that once I get past the 4.1 the knives become a little too thick for my liking when skinning and processing game.
My son and I recently processed a deer and used the 4.7, and a Manly Comrade. He like the smaller, lighter weight, and maneuverability of the Comrade. He wished the steel would hold an edge like the 4.7 in 20CV.

I know Guy builds his knives to be tough Survival knives (no pun intended). I'd love to see something down the road as a designated hunting knife. Thinner profile and thinner steel with a full flat grind or very high saber grind. Something in the 4-4.5" range designed for skinning and processing game.

Imagine that lightweight skinner in D3V or 20CV with a little more rounded belly that would be reminiscent of the original 5 but follow the contour of the GSO 10. Then imagine the extra grip of the new G10 or micarta. Add in Guy's penchant for perfection and I'd have to get one for my whole family to use.

I know Guy builds his knives to be tough Survival knives (no pun intended). I'd love to see something down the road as a designated hunting knife. Thinner profile and thinner steel with a full flat grind or very high saber grind. Something in the 4-4.5" range designed for skinning and processing game.

Imagine that lightweight skinner in D3V or 20CV with a little more rounded belly that would be reminiscent of the original 5 but follow the contour of the GSO 10. Then imagine the extra grip of the new G10 or micarta. Add in Guy's penchant for perfection and I'd have to get one for my whole family to use.
Too bad something like this isn't in the works already. If Guy ever designs a thinner knife with about 4-5 inches for a blade I'd venture to name it the... wait for it..... GSO 4.5 bushcraft!

;)

Now that I'm done busting your balls, I think you make a pretty fair assessment about blade thickness and steel types. I didn't realize you've had so many GSOs in and out of your hands. Very nice.

Psybull, I gotta agree with you!

Too bad something like this isn't in the works already. If Guy ever designs a thinner knife with about 4-5 inches for a blade I'd venture to name it the... wait for it..... GSO 4.5 bushcraft!

;)

Now that I'm done busting your balls, I think you make a pretty fair assessment about blade thickness and steel types. I didn't realize you've had so many GSOs in and out of your hands. Very nice.

Psybull, I gotta agree with you!

Silver, why you bustin' my balls man?! JK. So here's the deal. Now I need to look into this fabled 4.5 Bushcraft. It's probably harder to get one than a wizards wand. I assume they are way back in the prod schedule so I'll have to wait until they hit the secondary market.

Note to forum members. Easy profit here. Let me know when you have one and I'll pay secondary market prices for it, on the condition you ship it overnight express mail. We all know I have ZERO patience right?:D

Anyone have any specs on it?

Psybull, I gotta agree with you![/QUOTE]

It will have a blade thickness of .115" and a pretty thin cutting edge, with efficient carving and woodcraft tasks in mind. The tip also has less drop than other SURVIVE! knives and is more acute for tackling fine carving work. The handle is very long for a knife of this size and conservatively contoured for greater comfort during extended whittling/carving sessions. The handle profile is pretty rounded through the body, tapering to a thinner profile toward the guard for an effective pinch grip. We'll be using CPM-3V for this blade for great edge holding and exceptional durability in this thinner knife.

Silver, why you bustin' my balls man?!

I do it out of love :D

Thanks for posting the paragraph about the 4.5. I'm all about the indestructible knife that I could use for pull ups or rappelling in a survival situation, but I know MANY people will have a use for a thinner blade.

Back