Gso 6 : Eta ?

I ordered 2 of those so the 6 better get moving or I won't be able to own one. And the 12 is at the 2 year mark now so I'm wondering if it'll hit 3 before I lose my patience and cancel it.

Ordered 2 as well and I have 2 GSO-6 on order too, didn't realize that the GSO-12 was at the 2 year mark. Maybe first Friday report next week will be good, you'd think that while other knives are in the finishing stages then the ones next in line would be sent off to be cut since they have the steel.

Ordered 2 as well and I have 2 GSO-6 on order too, didn't realize that the GSO-12 was at the 2 year mark. Maybe first Friday report next week will be good, you'd think that while other knives are in the finishing stages then the ones next in line would be sent off to be cut since they have the steel.

That would make sense

They have 2.7, 4.1, 7/7, and the 4 Limited in the shop, and 3.5 in outside machining.
I don't think that Guy will be sitting around waiting for the 12 blanks and handles to be delivered to him.
Since he is allowing a lot of model run overlap we could be seeing the first of the 6 leaving the shop about the time that he hits his stride on shipping the 3.5.
I seem to say this a lot, but I'm looking forward to seeing what Survive can accomplish this year. :)

^^^yeah, not sure how long finishing takes, but didn't see anything be cut or heat treated. Could be there is plenty of time, maybe cutting and heat treatment only take a fraction of the time it takes to finish a knife.
Not sure, just figured since they had the steel, for the 12 and 6 maybe they would be cut soon.

It's been said that Guy is the bottleneck. It might seem weird go see the gaps in production steps, but when there are water jet and heat treat companies dedicated to their specialties working on the blades I'm sure they crank things out faster than just Guy having to hand finish EVERY blade by himself.

Look at it this way. Survive has the finishing processes of a custom knife shop (each one is hand finished) with the rest of the process run like a production knife shop (all the components are mass produced).
Like Silver said, the mass production steps are going to be massively faster than Guy hand finishing each knife.

Look at it this way. Survive has the finishing processes of a custom knife shop (each one is hand finished) with the rest of the process run like a production knife shop (all the components are mass produced).
Like Silver said, the mass production steps are going to be massively faster than Guy hand finishing each knife.

Right on, man. Very well said. If that explanation doesn't define "craft knife" I don't know what would.

Any recommendations on other quality knives by other manufacturers with similar specs in similar price ranges to the GSO 6 that are more readily available? I am not trying to knock Survive! at all, I think waiting a couple years for a top quality tool is fine for those willing to wait and aware of what they are getting into at purchase, but I would prefer not to wait if I can acquire something of similar quality a bit quicker. I don't mind paying a bit more either, but *trying* to stay in the $200-$250 range- just wondering if there is a balance between cost and availability that I should explore. I am relatively new to collecting/using high quality knives and I am bit overwhelmed at the volume of material available on the forum, so throw out any recommendations and I'll narrow my research.

If this is the wrong place for this sort of post, I'll happily move it just let me know where it should be located.

Fiddleback is well thought of and their production knives are more reasonably priced than their customs.
You are going to have a really hard time matching the price and value received from Survive.
In other words, for equal quality and immediate availability expect to pay more than $250.

I turned down the CPK "name-unknown" SK knife pre-order because I have a GSO6 on pre-order and they are similar(ish) size range. Hope the 6 is as good as I anticipate it to be and I made the right call :D

I turned down the CPK "name-unknown" SK knife pre-order because I have a GSO6 on pre-order and they are similar(ish) size range. Hope the 6 is as good as I anticipate it to be and I made the right call :D

You're nuts. Even if I had a 6 on order I'm glad I got in that preorder with cpk

Hmm, the pre-order for the GSO-6 closed and it was supposed to go into production in August and the 1st Friday update for August showed it in current production and will be sent to cutting ASAP. Well the September 1st Friday update showed the GSO-6 still in current production and still showed it being sent to cutting ASAP.
Now the production schedule on the Survive! website shows it no longer in current production but back in future production which is where is was in July.
The GSO-6 is moving in the wrong direction....

Hmm, the pre-order for the GSO-6 closed and it was supposed to go into production in August and the 1st Friday update for August showed it in current production and will be sent to cutting ASAP. Well the September 1st Friday update showed the GSO-6 still in current production and still showed it being sent to cutting ASAP.
Now the production schedule on the Survive! website shows it no longer in current production but back in future production which is where is was in July.
The GSO-6 is moving in the wrong direction....
The same appears to be true for the SK6, which is what I ordered.
The production schedules seem to be of limited value. For now, my eye is on reports of 4.1s being delivered to customers as a measure of overall progress and movement at S!K. Unfortunately, however, and as pointed out by Chiral elsewhere, the number of customers that frequent this forum and report receiving knives represents only a very small fraction of all customers...
Patience.

Remember that the heavy machining has never been the holdup.
The GSO 3.5 has been in the machining process since last November but it will still be the next model to receive's Survive's shop time.
The 2.7, 4.1 and 7/7 models still have to be pushed through the Survive shop first.
Theoretically the SK line could be run independently of the GSO line and be completed first, but so far Survive hasn't had more than three models in production in their shop at the same time. I haven't seen any indication that they want to get that far ahead of themselves on the outside machining.
Until the Survive shop backlog of GSO models is cleared up I don't think that we aren't likely to see much progress on the SK line either.
Guy has indicated that once he finishes the 4.1 the backlog for the remaining models is much smaller.
According to the production page they are still working on fulfilling preorders for the 4.1.

Wow....just "pre-ordered" a 3.5 and emailed them an approximate time i can order a 6 to go with it. Looks like it will be a long time. Where else can you find an un-coated 3v 6" knife of similar built quality and aesthetics?

It will be no sooner than a year from now, I would guess. Probably longer though, unless the SK line really takes the load off, and they hammer through the 4.1's.
I am really looking forward to the SK8, and SK5.1. I personally love choils!!

Wow....just "pre-ordered" a 3.5 and emailed them an approximate time i can order a 6 to go with it. Looks like it will be a long time. Where else can you find an un-coated 3v 6" knife of similar built quality and aesthetics?
There is a whole thread of "Other Knives We Like" (or something like that) but if I had to choose a brand I think that the Fiddleback production knives are a good choice. As I recall their Camp is a bit more expensive than a GSO 6, but you can find a dealer that has them in stock.

Back