Gso 8

Hello fellow survive enthousiasts !
I love the gso 10 but it's a bit too big for long hiking trips
The gso 7/7 isn't bad but not really a chopper
I'm dreaming of a gso 8 that could be the perfect camp knife
It could chop and do regular knife duties
Who else would get one (or two) ?

I think that's how Guy originally envisioned the GSO-10. But I agree, it's a lil on the large side for regular knife duties.
But I can't imagine the weight difference between a 10" GSO and a 8" GSO is going to be all that much.

If you find the GSO-10 to be a good chopper, I'd suggest sticking with that for chopping duties, and maybe pick up something smaller like a GSO 3.5 or one of the sub 3" Bark Rivers as a secondary for finer work.

I know that you've been lobbying for something like this for quite awhile now and it is actually one of the new designs that is on my drawing board right now. I just need some time to get the design finalized.

8" would be great with a much thinner stock.

8" would be great with a much thinner stock.

What I had in mind and am working on currently is a bridge between the GSO-7/7 and the GSO-10. A slightly downswept handle, which is ergonomic for some chopping but still all above the cutting line, so that the edge can all make surface contact without handle interference. The blade so far is just over 8", with a height of about 1.75". The tip is higher, so that it can be easily utilized for batoning work, something I imagine being useful in a longer blade like this. I am working on fine tuning the thickness of all knife models in the future, rather than sticking with "industry standard" stock thicknesses.

What I had in mind and am working on currently is a bridge between the GSO-7/7 and the GSO-10. A slightly downswept handle, which is ergonomic for some chopping but still all above the cutting line, so that the edge can all make surface contact without handle interference. The blade so far is just over 8", with a height of about 1.75". The tip is higher, so that it can be easily utilized for batoning work, something I imagine being useful in a longer blade like this. I am working on fine tuning the thickness of all knife models in the future, rather than sticking with "industry standard" stock thicknesses.

That sounds like a great all arounder not to mention for field culinary use as well. I'd definitely be interested in that! Can't wait to see some teasers!

Very happy to hear on the thickness side of things, excited to see what's next! :D

Hello Guy
Thanks for the update and thanks for listening to user feedback !
If I may offer some advice from my personal experience:
- 3/16 would be ideal. Too thin and it is a poor chopper. An 8 inch blade needs
Some weight to chop
- a 90 sharp spine would be excellent to scrape bark and other tinder to make
Shavings. Also useful for fero rod
- a bow drill divot if possible
- a down swept handle (asyou mentioned) for chopping

It you need someone for testing and evaluation I would gladly give it a serious workout

Thanks
RR

Hello Guy
Thanks for the update and thanks for listening to user feedback !
If I may offer some advice from my personal experience:
- 3/16 would be ideal. Too thin and it is a poor chopper. An 8 inch blade needs
Some weight to chop
- a 90 sharp spine would be excellent to scrape bark and other tinder to make
Shavings. Also useful for fero rod
- a bow drill divot if possible
- a down swept handle (asyou mentioned) for chopping

It you need someone for testing and evaluation I would gladly give it a serious workout

Thanks
RR

Yeah, looking over your list I think you'll be pretty happy. ;)

Excellent !
Choil or no choil ?
Any chance of having a sharp spine on all the models as an option ?

in between 5/32 and 1/8 would be rad.

No choil for the 8" for me at least, that way you have finger clearance for butchery/culinary ontop of chopping. Any interest in a flat grind on it?

Guy, curious about this M12...

We gonna see more small knife love too?

In a knife that size a choil is useful
3/16 would make it a decent chopper
Under that it will probably be too light
I personaly love the sabre grind like the gso 6

Thinner stock would be nice!

I don't see the point in having a thin 8 inch knife. Sure it would be a good slicer but that is what smaller knives are for. It would never be a good slicer because it lacks the blade length and mass. A 8 inch blade is a compromise blade. But i still think it should have enough mass to chop. I do see how the gso 4.1 and maybe gso 5 can benefit from thinner stock

I don't see the point in having a thin 8 inch knife. Sure it would be a good slicer but that is what smaller knives are for. It would never be a good slicer because it lacks the blade length and mass. A 8 inch blade is a compromise blade. But i still think it should have enough mass to chop. I do see how the gso 4.1 and maybe gso 5 can benefit from thinner stock

It's a combiniation of Peter's HT and the blade geo that can make that possible with CPM steels. Quite a few custom makers on here have been playing around with thinner lighter choopers. In my experiencea lighter chopper cuts through material easier, less resistance, and less fatigue, lighter. I wouldn't say all steels could benefit from thining up, but after using the GSO 10 - 5.1, the 3/16th is great, but if I wanted an in between, a little lighter. Although what you're describe is pretty much a GSO 7/7, of which are intensely bad ass. Although after putting the GSO 3.5 through some serious backcountry, which is 1/8th to the test over this last year, I've been sold. Maybe even thinner down to 3/32 for some blades, not a chopper, but it really brings these blades to life.

The 7/7 is nice but I still think a longer 8 inch blade would be ideal as a one tool option or as a camp knife. I have some thin choppers but they only work because of their longer blades (12 inch). A thin 8 inch blade would be a poor chopper compared to 3/16 chopper with the right edge geometry.
It's physics

I have the 7/7 and use it all the time to prune our oak trees and other bushes down here in Houston, Tx. Of course "chopper" is a relative term, but for my needs, the 7/7 is plenty for batoning, whittling, shearing limbs, spearing, etc.... The reason I think it is the perfect size is it is a bit larger than the 5.1, not a monster like the 10, and has the weight/balance to really give you some leverage when "chopping."

Just my thoughts YMMV

The gso 7/7 is a good light chopper. For my applications I think an 8 inch blade 1.85 inches high and 3/16 thick would be a better chopper but still be useable as a knife
One often overlooked parameter is the blade height. You need to combine the right height with the right thickness to make a good chopper

Back