Gso 8

Very cool! Thanks, Guy, for the privileged information.

It does look awesome. And now you have me really interested in the updates to the 10!

Thanks. I figured since this design was customer driven that I would share the progress.

No offense but not what I was hoping for. Was hoping for more of a 8 inch camp/chopper design. Same as the 10 with an 8 inch blade. This is too much like the 7/7. BTW loving that GSO 12 and waiting for the next run of 10's!

I can see where you would be coming from, the GSO-7/7 and the GSO-8 concept are similar in size. The photo is also making it look slightly out of proportion. A scan would have been better but it is an inch too long for my scanner. I'll need to go to the big city for that. lol Looking at both side by side though, they are pretty different from one another in their design execution. The blade profile is pretty similar to the GSO-10, the cutting line is well below the handle like the GSO-10 and even the proposed thickness is a few thousandths heavier than the current GSO-10. With this thickness/bevel height/blade height combo, the blade would still have pretty good cutting efficiency and enough mass for light chopping. It would at least chop as well as an 8" knife can. I guess I could go with thicker stock but then the cutting efficiency begins to suffer, as the grind geometry becomes more wedge like. I could offset this by going with a higher grind, even a ffg but then I'm really just adding bulk to the handle area and making the knife more handle heavy.

Maybe help me out a bit, when you say more of a camp/chopper design, what do you mean? What would you like to see it do? Information always helps me refine a thought.

Thanks for the update Guy !
I like the design but what about a 2 inch wide blade ?
I think that the tip would be better if it was dropping less to make a longer platform to batton and have more belly for skinning. I prefer the no jimping idea
I seriously hope it gets made one day

Thanks for the update Guy !
I like the design but what about a 2 inch wide blade ?
I think that the tip would be better if it was dropping less to make a longer platform to batton and have more belly for skinning. I prefer the no jimping idea
I seriously hope it gets made one day

I've included a bit better photo of the design concept. Taking the shot from further back helped. Looking at it as being an all arounder, I went for a 1.75" blade height for better maneuverability during every day cutting tasks. I've actually cut the new GSO-10 down to a 2" blade height to help increase its functionality as a big knife. Months back I started out with this having a 2" high blade but it just seemed so tall, just for the sake of being tall.

As for the tip, that is just my personal preference really. lol When I baton, I tend to keep my handle more pulled down a little, so I have an easier time keeping the handle driven in toward the log I'm batoning. Using it like that a little bit of a slope on the tip has never caused me any problems.

2015-05-16 11.29.57.jpg

Yeah, I want one too! :)

What I love with the 5.1 is that the choil is so comfortable to use, I hope this won't be too "thick". I've got a Busse Basic 8, but the distance from the choil to the handle is too wide so I've got to place a finger over t which is awkward. If that makes sense?

What I love with the 5.1 is that the choil is so comfortable to use, I hope this won't be too "thick". I've got a Busse Basic 8, but the distance from the choil to the handle is too wide so I've got to place a finger over t which is awkward. If that makes sense?

Makes sense to me, I had a basic 10 and the choil was quite awkward.

No worries there, the differences in the choil area are negligible. The GSO-8 concept has a deeper choil, similar to the GSO-10, so the height/distance is pretty identical the the GSO-5.1 or the GSO-7/7. I wanted a finger to be able to confidently and comfortably nestle into the choil.

It is funny, this GSO-8 started as a creative challenge, a design I hadn't even considered but I honestly really like it now. It is like a smaller GSO-10. I can definitely see myself carrying this knife.

It is funny, this GSO-8 started as a creative challenge, a design I hadn't even considered but I honestly really like it now. It is like a smaller GSO-10. I can definitely see myself carrying this knife.

I think the drawing looks great Guy. Well thought-out, and fills a nice in-between slot with the revisions to the 7/7.

I opted for no jimping on this concept. The design could pull double duty as a food prep knife and knowing how most people hold cooking knives, I thought jimping would be uncomfortable.

Thanks for thinking of us food trained types! Looks like a great concept!

YES YES YES I completely agree with all the lines and design details on that GSO 8 mockup. Can we get a starter for this as well?

For me the 8 is too much of a chopper and not enough utility. I'll stick with the new 7/7 and wait for the reincarnation of the 10. Thank you for less blade height on the 10!

For me the 8 is too much of a chopper and not enough utility. I'll stick with the new 7/7 and wait for the reincarnation of the 10. Thank you for less blade height on the 10!

That is exactly why I now think both designs are valid. Although similar in size, the two designs are really very different from one another.

Whew, the new GSO-10 design.... Jesus. Sometimes when I walk by my drawing table I pause for a second, just to smile at it. We'll be getting to that one as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Sometimes when I walk by my drawing table I pause for a second, just to smile at it. We'll be getting to that one as soon as possible.

Oh man, you're going to tease us like that? This is cruel and unusual! :D

There must be a pic of a sketch you can share, right?

Back