Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Not everyone noticed, but when Nolan Ryan pitched, he always had his lucky lambsfoot nearby.
dSRY982.jpg

Wishing I could share a little California sunshine, but I'm sure your dog will enjoy the snow. Nice Lamb picture too. :)
Thanks for the good thought, I wish you could John, it was cold and windy...but no more moisture.
Not an entry to Jack's very generous GAW, but thanks for hosting the GAW to celebrate the Guardians thread milestone, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:;) Congrats to all of the Guardians, but especially to Chief Guardian Jack, for this amazingly prolific thread! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Best wishes to all the entrants. :D:thumbsup:

Even though I'm not entering the GAW, I'll post a hastily-taken indoor photo of my flock. From the top down: Man Jack, Valley Jack, Black Jack, Lam Jack, Union Jack, Cracker Jack, and Lamb Shark. (I hope including my Old Timer "Lamb Shark" is acceptable, since I think of it as one of my first lambsfoot acquisitions.)
View attachment 1120002

- GT
Great collection, the Lamb Shark is an interesting piece.
Thanks y'all.
Fantatastic pics everyone!
Good luck to all you Guardian's
Jack Black Jack Black I REEEEALY hope your computer stuff goes smooth!!!!!!

Oh, my pic from yesterday that I forgot to post.
47737598691_d374f91ae9_h.jpg
Yep, that is a beaut!
What a contrast to where John lives Preston :eek: Hope you have a great day though, it sounds like your pup has you well-trained already my friend ;) :thumbsup:
Not such a great day for me shooting, the ducks were wet and didn't fly, making them hard to hit. Now before someone gets after me about ducks not flying, I'll explain. These are pen raised mallards, as such, they don't develop their muscles for flying 'cause they don't get much opportunity. Add to that they are not capable of 'water-proofing' themselves like wild ducks are. They were a mess...but the dogs didn't seem to care:D

Jack, Dutch is really well trained for work in the field. By my choice, he does own me around the house, getting to do about whatever he wants.
Carrying my beautiful 2018 horn model gifted to me by Charlie at the Oregon knife show this year! Thank you Charlie!!! Smoke and prayers sent along toward your full and speedy recovery!

yuRtzkc.jpg
Beautiful knife, Barry. Thanks for the update in the other thread. He's in my thoughts and prayers.
pjsjr pjsjr I applaud your dedication to your dog training regiment. Every one benefits.:thumbsup:
Thanks Harvey, I hunt a lot, with a well trained dog, not only is it more fun but conservation. The dog will find downed, and wounded game that we mere mortals would miss. Your Western Lambie has great aged well. I look forward to hearing about it.
Hey Guardians, belated congrats on the 1k pages - nice work, Jack and everyone who participates in this fine thread!:cool::thumbsup:

I kind of fell behind, then all of a sudden it was thirty, then sixty pages and more to catch up! I’m sure I’ve missed some great posts and pics.:(

I’ll have to take a new group pic, haven’t taken one in a while.

Here’s some old group pics from around 2017 evidently, contrasting the cover textures on my flock then:

qOU9z2i.jpg

WdYxQri.jpg

IEyySta.jpg

(Not an entry btw.)

My vote would be that the Schrade Landshark and the Space Knife are both ‘legitimate’ Lambsfoot variants, although it’s questionable how much knowledge (if any) the designers of those two models had of the original Real Lamb Foot type Sheffield town knife.

Here’s another ‘mini collection’ of Lambsfoot variants, the Lambshank, and the Frostfoot.

feUy5uS.jpg

Both knives were attempts at rendering the lineaments of the Lambsfoot blade in a useful fixed blade knife.

The Frostfoot was a reground Mora Frosts bait knife for the professional fishing industry. Originally it looked like this:

View attachment 1120044

I reground the spine into a tapered Lambsfoot type profile. The edge actually had a little hint of belly up towards the tip, which I left, as it was obviously designed to assist in slicing on boards, and the reground knife was an experiment in a ‘Lambsfoot kitchen knife’. I resharpened it, of course.

This knife now lives in Jack’s knife drawer, I’m told.

One interesting difference in the feel of the knife after being reground, was that the tapered spine to edge profile makes the knife have a more ‘poised’, lively feel, because of the steadily diminishing blade weight out to the tip. It was quite apparent on the larger knife, but I realised the same thing applies to the Lambsfoot pocketknife. It does feel more nimble - in a way that a sheepsfoot blade or higonokami type blade profile doesn’t.

The Lambshank is a light, full tang, 3” bladed utility knife of my own design, which has already been discussed in this thread.

Dennis and John, I laughed at the thought of Dennis taking that pic in his doctors office too. I’m sure we can all relate to ‘that look’ from passersby when in the middle of taking a knife photo in public somewhere. That’s nothing, I’m sure, to the look Jack would have got if someone saw him placing Arthur on a fencepost and taking pics of him, LOL.:D

Dennis, I hope you get some treatment that works out for you, my friend.:)

Sounds like a great day out Vince - your AC’s lookin’ fine, and the 1911’s a classic design to have on your hip too - when you’re not brandishing your light sabre!;):D:thumbsup::cool:

Out in the bush on the weekend:

g43Ihlv.jpg

90excek.jpg

xcDrVPk.jpg

But I’ve been carrying this Lefty Lambsfoot from Charlie ‘Waynorth’ today. Charlie very kindly sent it to me after I was griping about right handed traditional knives one day!:cool::D

1KmXK9I.jpg

Get well soon my friend.:)
Another fantastic post Chin, great collection of Lambsfoot knives, interesting commentary and superb photography, thank you.
View attachment 1120121 View attachment 1120122 View attachment 1120125
You're welcome, Merci!

:)
I have already posted these pictures, I only use the lambsfoot barlow.
JP, very impressive Barlows, thanks for the great photos.

Another picture of Guardians 19 and stag Pere David.:cool::thumbsup:

25p4cbo.jpg
That '19 Guardian is so very nice...great shot of it.
LOL! I have also this posh one in spare! :D

View attachment 1120141
View attachment 1120145
Dwight those boots have about as much great character as that Lambie:D
Not everyone noticed, but when Nolan Ryan pitched, he always had his lucky lambsfoot nearby.
dSRY982.jpg
So that's why he was so great:D:p:D
Hoping you are all having a lovely day.
You need to get that birdhouse up and out where it will be used by
What nice contrast in your photo, great job.:thumbsup:
More snow here tonight Guardians...big heavy, wet flakes. Glad I'm not dog training tomorrow:D:eek::D
IMG_1099.JPG

Last edited:
Great photos in the last hour- Dwight, Harvey and OG.:thumbsup:
@Fodderwing @OLd_gUY cigarrodog cigarrodog
AoD2KBv.jpg
Thank you Mark. Please include yourself in your “great photos” comment.:)

Jack Black Jack Black I will have to respectfully disagree with your previous comment about you not yet making a proper image of your Damascus Stag Lambsfoot. You most certainly have captured its’ beauty.:)

So, I have been trying to get GEC to make a Real Lamb Foot knife for several years!!:rolleyes:
It would be a production run of a pattern that has been largely ignored in the North American market since the Lambfoot was developed or invented in England.
I am proud to tell you, that the knife is in the works!!:)
The various stamps have arrived, and just to add to the firsts, it will be my first knife with my Brand on it! :eek: Waynorth Cutlery!!!:cool:
The knife is based on a Joseph Rodgers (JR) design I particularly admire. It won't be a direct copy, but will use some of the best features the JR has to offer, along with GEC's great design skills, materials and workmanship!!
Here are the Joseph Rodgers Lambfoot knives; the jigged bone being my favorite, but the wood (I think Cocabola ) my second.
View attachment 1105497

just catching up on this thread and wow! i can see the what the fuss is about!!! The usual suspects know Im not too fond of the sway back, but you were always one for tradition, Charlie. That tang stamp tho, thats the real gem to me as a New Yorker!

Nicely captured my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the good thought, I wish you could John, it was cold and windy...but no more moisture.

Great collection, the Lamb Shark is an interesting piece.

Yep, that is a beaut!

Not such a great day for me shooting, the ducks were wet and didn't fly, making them hard to hit. Now before someone gets after me about ducks not flying, I'll explain. These are pen raised mallards, as such, they don't develop their muscles for flying 'cause they don't get much opportunity. Add to that they are not capable of 'water-proofing' themselves like wild ducks are. They were a mess...but the dogs didn't seem to care:D

Jack, Dutch is really well trained for work in the field. By my choice, he does own me around the house, getting to do about whatever he wants.

Beautiful knife, Barry. Thanks for the update in the other thread. He's in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Harvey, I hunt a lot, with a well trained dog, not only is it more fun but conservation. The dog will find downed, and wounded game that we mere mortals would miss. Your Western Lambie has great aged well. I look forward to hearing about it.

Another fantastic post Chin, great collection of Lambsfoot knives, interesting commentary and superb photography, thank you.

JP, very impressive Barlows, thanks for the great photos.

Sorry to hear about the weather Preston, Dutch sounds like an incredible dog, with a great master (in the field), I can see why you love him to bits. I remember going to watch different trials myself as a kid, both gundogs and sheepdogs. They are less common here now, but I am going to a shooting show soon :thumbsup:

More snow here tonight Guardians...big heavy, wet flakes. Glad I'm not dog training tomorrow:D:eek::D
IMG_1099.JPG

Yikes Preston! :eek: Is it normal to have snow this late in the year where you live, it's May 1st today?! :eek:

Jack Black Jack Black I will have to respectfully disagree with your previous comment about you not yet making a proper image of your Damascus Stag Lambsfoot. You most certainly have captured its’ beauty.:)

Thank you Dwight, you are very kind my friend :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black my humble entry to your generous GAW :) I'm in!
View attachment 1120384

Good luck Darren, couple of nice ones there :) :thumbsup:

just catching up on this thread and wow! i can see the what the fuss is about!!! The usual suspects know Im not too fond of the sway back, but you were always one for tradition, Charlie. That tang stamp tho, thats the real gem to me as a New Yorker!

Good to see you here Jack, hope you're enjoying the pics of the recent Candle-end Damascus models :thumbsup:

I don’t think one lambsfoot qualifies as a collection, but if I won the draw I could safely say TWO is a collection! :) Thanks Jack Black Jack Black for keeping this thread both informative and entertaining. I’m in and hoping for a lucky draw!View attachment 1120407

It'll do for the purpoes of this giveaway :) Thank you for entering, nice Lambsfoot :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians,

Happy May Day! Hope everyone is having a good week :thumbsup:

eg0bVqM.jpg

Back