Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

And Good Morning, Guardians!
lwiDqLa.jpg

okay so I had been lambsfootless for awhile now, but yesterday I got lucky and ran into to this one at a show. I think it was made in the 60's or 70's or so I was told by the dealer.

As many of our forum members know, Joseph Rodgers was once regarded as one of the premier cutlers from Sheffield during the 19th and early 20th centuries. But Rodgers suffered the same fate as all of their fellow English competition with the influx of cheaper German and American made cutlery that was available in the United States from the late 1800s onward. Rodgers was dealt a second blow after WWII with new production methods that made other European, Asian, and American knives even cheaper to produce. While Rodgers and other Sheffield companies tried to adapt and compete, it was unfortunately too little and too late.

In the early 1960s, Joseph Rodgers introduced their "Hot-Bonded Knives" which "eliminates the conventional pin and bolster, makes for a specially strong and rigid knife".
No pins or bolsters with a glued on handles certainly creates a less expensive knife. Not all of the Rodgers folding knives were made that way, just some including this one shown. Despite those shortcuts, the knife shown still retains an element of elegance which is associated with a once great company. Joseph Rodgers was absorbed by Richards in 1975 and were gone for good not long after that, which places your model in the mid 1960s to mid 1970s as you thought.

In the early 1960s, Joseph Rodgers introduced their "Hot-Bonded Knives" which "eliminates the conventional pin and bolster, makes for a specially strong and rigid knife". No pins or bolsters with a glued on handles certainly creates a less expensive knife.

That's a great piece of information my friend :) :thumbsup:

GRATS JOSE :thumbsup::thumbsup:
And while we're waiting, hope everyone enjoys a great Cinco de Mayo. I've been looking for an excuse to post this tune, hope everyone enjoys it!
Flaco Jimenez on the squeeze box!
View attachment 1123049

Happy Cinco de Mayo OG, great pic, and thanks for the great tunes :) I'll crack open a beer myself, but I think I better tidy up first, I've got knife boxes and Lambsfoot knives all over the place from that pic earlier :D :thumbsup:

nDFBEIy.jpg

Since you fellows have been talking Tweed, this is my winter cap. Its made in Scotland. :D
View attachment 1123077 View attachment 1123078

Very nice Dave, that's the same tweed as mine :) Mine is made in Stornoway on the Isle of Harris itself, where @pmew used to live :thumbsup:

Yorkshire was also once famous for its woolen cloth, and a while back, I managed to secure some thick Yorkshire-spun woolen cloth, which was was woven at one of the mills here between the wars. I've had it made up into pocket-slips :)

Very nice Dave, that's the same tweed as mine :) Mine is made in Stornoway on the Isle of Harris itself, where @pmew used to live :thumbsup:

Yorkshire was also once famous for its woolen cloth, and a while back, I managed to secure some thick Yorkshire-spun woolen cloth, which was was woven at one of the mills here between the wars. I've had it made up into pocket-slips :)
Pocket slips a good idea, Jack, that's lambsfoot friendly. :thumbsup::D

Pocket slips a good idea, Jack, that's lambsfoot friendly. :thumbsup::D

I was having a discussion with Mark @Ramrodmb a while back about low air temperatures in aeroplane holds, and we were joking about me knitting sweaters for the Lambsfoot knives :D This is my solution for the forthcoming Barlows! :D I think they look pretty good :) :thumbsup:

I was having a discussion with Mark @Ramrodmb a while back about low air temperatures in aeroplane holds, and we were joking about me knitting sweaters for the Lambsfoot knives :D This is my solution for the forthcoming Barlows! :D I think they look pretty good :) :thumbsup:
you bet your boots the Barlows will look quite Dapper in sweaters :thumbsup::thumbsup::p on a side note I have a feeling they will come out the week we are moving and no internet
please don't forget me :D:D:D

Back