Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Blimey! You folks have been busy while I've been snoozing! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Hi everyone, hope everyone's weekend is going well. Great pics again today. This is rapidly becoming the Lambsfoot Louvre :) Grats to all :thumbsup:

Apparently we picked the only non stormy day of the week to make our Yosemite trip as we've had a little over 0.5 inches of rain in the last 24 hr and I'm sure it's snowing up there.
Here's a very brief 10 second video of Bridal Veil Falls (that's the fall in the valley floor pic I posted yesterday).
It is nothing spectacular but the point is that this is the amount of water that falls every 10 seconds of every minute of every day...sorry, I thought it would come out bigger :(- never tried to post a video before :confused: I like to pick a spot as it goes over the top and follow it down :rolleyes:
Here's a pic that was taken from the same spot, but looking in a more northerly direction.
El Capitan is a solid granite monolith whose top is 7569 feet (2,307 metres) above sea level and stands right at 3,600 feet (1,100 metres) over the valley floor.
pBXiv7k.jpg

OG

I'm afraid the video wouldn't play for me OG, but that is an absolutely amazing photo :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black The Parkin is fresh and tasty, and now sliced-up, resting in the freezer. I’m munching on a slice as I type this. Your Yorkshire Rose is so elegant.

As the project creator and leader, I understand your frustration with the Barlow so near, yet seemingly so far to completion. I, on the other hand, am strangely calm and patient. That’s because it looks like your latest is a total Bobby Dazzler.:) The stamp is beautiful, and on both sides even. The Sambar Stag and all the other sweet touches will make this one of the best ones yet. Almost there, my friend. BTW...Your Lambsfoot is especially nice today.:)

@Foddering - Hey Dwight...Great angled image of your Dami Lamb.

JohnDF JohnDF John, that’s a beautiful image of your Lambsfoot frolicking in the water.

@OLd_gUY Hard to top your Lambsfoot with El Capitan in the background. Ansel would be proud.:thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians.
F83200F2-646B-4CAA-BC37-9E6AAF5D0381_zps6ttttoum.jpeg

Thank you for your kind words Harvey, that is a beautiful photo of that lovely old Lambsfoot - it is in incredible condition :thumbsup:

Fine photo and pile side Vince. Those ACs really are some of the best examples of that size Lambsfoot version I’ve seen.

By coincidence I also took a brick background pic a few days ago:

MwSbAtB.jpg

Nice pic Chin :) :thumbsup:

8yev477.jpg

Wow, I’d quite forgotten what an amazing knife that proto Ironwood 2019 is. One of the cool things about seeing all the knives of the 2019 series here, is you can see some of the timber patterns continue through the different covers, as presumably some of them were slabbed out of the same, single bit of ironwood.

That knife has both the ‘black ribbons’ or ‘black riverbend’ pattern that some of the nicest examples have, and also the densely figured ‘faces and flames’ whorled kind of effect. Very fine archive knife for the series, and it looks like an excellent repair job.

Good point about the timber patterns, I like the two-tone patterns seen on several of the Second 20 :) The Ironwood turned out to be much more interesting than I'd originally expected. Thanks mate :) :thumbsup:

Ha, nice dillybag, and exemplar Lambsfoot, of course.

Yes it’s a pity that there are not more decent films on Australia’s frontier days. Nick Cave’s film The Proposition and Peter Carey’s novel The True History of The Kelly Gang are a couple of good recent portrayals of 19th century Australia’s savage heart.

Also this book:

aybVcmZ.jpg
qoaP4MC.jpg

Those are both excellent films my friend, I rarely pass up on an Australian film :thumbsup: Thanks for the book recommendation, it looks like a must-read :thumbsup:

Very nice stamp choice, Jack. That’ll be a fine looking Barlow bolster.

Thanks a lot pal :) :thumbsup:

You are posting some stunning photos of your Ironwood '19 Dwight :cool: :thumbsup:

Thank you to all my friends! :D:D:D We are still unloading boxes :eek: Then we need to purchase a fair bit of new furniture over the next couple of weeks.
We also need to contact an electrician and air-condition tradesmen then we should be in a more settled mode. :p

Thank you again for all the encouragements :thumbsup: as this was a difficult move I think age had something to do with this :rolleyes:
Once we are really settled in, then I would like to take a few photos of some of the points or buildings of interest.
It warms my heart to have all the Guardians as friends, peace to you all.
I am so far behind and will be for a couple of weeks yet, so if I miss your post please understand. :)

Fantastic to see you here Dave :) Congratulations on getting moved, and I hope you settle in OK. I'm sure you'll do better than me, I moved in 18 years ago, and still have jobs to do! :D :thumbsup:

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :) :thumbsup:

It was quite the coincidence, my Rosewood from Jack was in the mail the day we moved, so I don't have to worry about it getting lost coming to the new residence.:thumbsup: Thankyou Jack Black Jack Black
its a beauty :thumbsup::D of course it will be a star in some of my photos as the dust settles.
A photo with my cherished tin box I love tin boxes!:p Also a really beautiful done Mozaic Muriel using photos from Cochrane and area, the Muriel is called "Trust"
View attachment 1131274

View attachment 1131275

I'm glad it made good time Dave! :D :thumbsup:

That's a very clever wall mural my friend :thumbsup:

It is spectacular Jack!!!:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Jose :) :thumbsup:

Awww :) Great pic Preston :) :thumbsup:

Good to see you, Dave. Each time I move it's harder than the time before!

Yeah, you're not kidding Vince, I was going to move a few years back, and I chickened out in the end! :eek: My back was bad at the time, and I just didn't think I'd be able to manage it :rolleyes:

I think this Pere David will stay for now like this!!:cool::thumbsup:

6teofc.jpg

Looking good Jose :) :thumbsup:

LOL! Every pub needs it's characters.
Sorry to hear about the museum Jack, some of these museums are short of volunteers to help them run the show. :(
Just to let you know, I haven't been in The Sportsman for awhile but I found out a few days ago they use Autovacs in there :mad:

Definitely! :D Yeah, certainly far from the first time I've been to a museum, and found it closed :rolleyes: Really?! I wonder how long that has been going on? It's also been a while since I was last in, still the same landlord, but he seems to be absent a lot. No food on, and the barman ws a right miserable sod. It definitely has the feel of a pub that has gone downhill a bit :(

Thank you. I don't know about the best of the month. It might be in the running for the "Landscape Vista Award" but I've seen many better pics posted. The talent that abounds in this place is amazing - GRATS TO ALL :thumbsup:
Your statement of that 1989 climb jogged a faint synapse (something about free climbing) so I did a Google and found out that the climber was a park ranger by the name of Mark Wellman. Seven years previously, he had lost movement in his legs when he experienced a 100 foot (30.5 meters) fall while free climbing (the fired synapse) in the John Muir Wilderness area outside of the park and got jammed in a crevice. He had the support of another climber (Mike Corbett) who set ropes in 125' (38 meter) lengths and Wellman then pulled himself up with a T-bar mechanism designed by Corbett. Talk about Popeye arms :eek:
Because of the disability, other climbers reportedly said Corbett did the physical equivalent of four ascents and before the climb, Corbett held the record for most ascents of El Capitan. This was his 42nd.
They started on Tue. July 18, 1989 and reached the summit a week and a day later on Wed. 26th.
Wellman's ascent of El Capitan was the the first by a paraplegic.

I don't know if El Cap is the absolute sheerest on the planet but it very well could be. Like you, I seem to recall that the vertical deviation is something ridiculous - like less that 5 degrees. Something in my brain is saying 2 degrees but at my age, I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Squat) so I definitely wouldn't take that as gospel.

"No more knives this year....no more knives this year....no more knives...oh pants...:rolleyes:" I'll take that bet ;)

There was someone climbing it when we were there. I tried various zoom settings, picture enhancements, etc. but I'm CPL (Cell Phone Limited) so I guess you'll have to take my word for it. Also, there's an emergency shelter in place on the face which I circled in the 2nd pic
View attachment 1131453
View attachment 1131449

Fascinating post OG, I think Trango Tower might pip El Cap, but my brain is not functioning very well today - woke up on the sofa last night, next to a large Rusty Nail! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

When I think of moving again :eek:, I am reminded of a colleague telling me that when she and her husband were shopping for a house, he kept saying at each house they looked at: "I don't know--I just don't see dying here"! Maybe that's something I should consider next time, "if ever I live that long"! :D

Lambsfoot content:
z4zxX8N.jpg

Thanks for the Lambsfoot content Vince :D :thumbsup:

What a beautiful pattern with those covers, Jack!:eek::thumbsup:

Very elegant! And the dillybag is very cool!:D:thumbsup:

Very regal! Looks fantastic!:thumbsup:

Mine today...
FYweDzA.jpg

Have a great Monday (or is that a contradiction of terms?)

Thanks for the kind words Dennis :) Wow, what a fantastic pic, and the patina is incredible, I thought it was reflection at first! :eek: Very cool :cool: :thumbsup:

View attachment 1131637
Happy Sunday, hope everyone enjoyed their weekends. Looking forward to seeing some more shots of the upcoming barlows...;)

Beautiful Taylor :thumbsup:

Me too my friend! :D :thumbsup:

KYzqEtS.jpg

Seemed appropriate

Good to see you here David :) I thought the old girl was staying in a hotel opposite Buckingham Palace at first, but maybe she's in a carriage! :D :thumbsup:

Yes it is David :thumbsup: Tomorrow is a long weekend here. The holiday, which is only celebrated in Canada and Scotland, began as a celebration to honour Queen Victoria's birthday. The British queen was born on May 24, 1819. The Monday before May 25 then became known as Victoria Day, which is a Canadian statutory holiday. This year it lands on my birthday May 20th :p

Nice of them to give you a day off for your birthday Dave! ;) :D Have a good one my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, it's taking me longer and longer to read through all the posts! :eek: Hope everyone had a great weekend :) I'm going to celebrate Dave's birthday with a second cup of tea, and carry my SamDamLamb ;) Have a good week folks :thumbsup:

sV8YNlV.jpg

Last edited:
Aye, David. Who doesn't like the Queen?
Been using that knife much?
I been using it quite a bit,I can already see this is going to be one I carry often. I can see why Jack promotes them so much,very useful pattern! Don't get many opportunities to take a pic of my English knives with English themed backdrops,so when it presents itself I take it,lol.

I been using it quite a bit,I can already see this is going to be one I carry often. I can see why Jack promotes them so much,very useful pattern! Don't get many opportunities to take a pic of my English knives with English themed backdrops,so when it presents itself I take it,lol.

I'm glad to hear you're finding it useful David :) :thumbsup:

@dc50 Happy Birthday Dave! :D:D:D

I hope all you Guardians have a great week! :thumbsup: :D I’ve got my Ashley’s Choice along today! :D

44736248301_b6d4780741_b_d.jpg

She's a looker Ron :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

Very nice John :) :thumbsup:

donn donn . David, I ‘m happy that you found the documentary both informative and interesting. I’ve taken your suggestion and subscribed to a channel that has many Dr. Worsley documentaries. Now a lot of people may see YouTube cynically, but there’s a wealth of information to be found. Watching her documentaries(as well as those of others is like going to highly interesting lectures.

I don’t have your medical experience, but once a more complete picture of Henry Vlll’s medical history is apparent, it’s hard to argue with your “going out on a limb” conclusions. The TBI, alone, would explain much of his behavioral changes.

I wonder if the erratic behaviour of many medieval kings could be blamed on head injury. Men of nobility received martial training from an early age, during which it was ineviatble they must of received blows to the head. Something akin to boxers or NFL players of today. Could explain a lot in history... :oops::)

Thank you. I don't know about the best of the month. It might be in the running for the "Landscape Vista Award" but I've seen many better pics posted. The talent that abounds in this place is amazing - GRATS TO ALL :thumbsup:
Your statement of that 1989 climb jogged a faint synapse (something about free climbing) so I did a Google and found out that the climber was a park ranger by the name of Mark Wellman. Seven years previously, he had lost movement in his legs when he experienced a 100 foot (30.5 meters) fall while free climbing (the fired synapse) in the John Muir Wilderness area outside of the park and got jammed in a crevice. He had the support of another climber (Mike Corbett) who set ropes in 125' (38 meter) lengths and Wellman then pulled himself up with a T-bar mechanism designed by Corbett. Talk about Popeye arms :eek:
Because of the disability, other climbers reportedly said Corbett did the physical equivalent of four ascents and before the climb, Corbett held the record for most ascents of El Capitan. This was his 42nd.
They started on Tue. July 18, 1989 and reached the summit a week and a day later on Wed. 26th.
Wellman's ascent of El Capitan was the the first by a paraplegic.

I don't know if El Cap is the absolute sheerest on the planet but it very well could be. Like you, I seem to recall that the vertical deviation is something ridiculous - like less that 5 degrees. Something in my brain is saying 2 degrees but at my age, I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Squat) so I definitely wouldn't take that as gospel.

"No more knives this year....no more knives this year....no more knives...oh pants...:rolleyes:" I'll take that bet ;)

There was someone climbing it when we were there. I tried various zoom settings, picture enhancements, etc. but I'm CPL (Cell Phone Limited) so I guess you'll have to take my word for it. Also, there's an emergency shelter in place on the face which I circled in the 2nd pic
View attachment 1131453
View attachment 1131449

Thanks for posting that! I'm glad my memory isn't as bad as I think it is.:)
That was quite the feat then to climb that, especially given how sheer it is.
That's a great pitch; imagine spending the night out there and waking up to that view. :eek::)

Living in town now, I don't get out shooting as much anymore, but get out and shoot the .22's some.

Mine today...
FYweDzA.jpg

At least your keeping your hand in which is better than nothing. :thumbsup: Great shot with that reel there.

KYzqEtS.jpg

Seemed appropriate

God Save the Queen! :thumbsup:
We don't celebrate the Monarch's birthday here in England, which seems a bit strange. Happy Victoria Day. :)

Yes it is David :thumbsup: Tomorrow is a long weekend here. The holiday, which is only celebrated in Canada and Scotland, began as a celebration to honour Queen Victoria's birthday. The British queen was born on May 24, 1819. The Monday before May 25 then became known as Victoria Day, which is a Canadian statutory holiday. This year it lands on my birthday May 20th :p

Happy Birthday! :thumbsup:

Yesterday I nipped to the Lancashire Mining Museum for their small but enjoyable Steam Heritage Festival, so I'll stick some photos up.
yE3CEDO.jpg

It's the last intact pithead in the South Lancashire Coalfields.
TcmBKlo.jpg

So it's old vehicles, steam tractors, old tractors, and the original winding engine.
pKatgBN.jpg

WpDEPzY.jpg

gZ7IREL.jpg

Except your avatar Dennis - an adventuresome looking dude :thumbsup: :)

Ray
That's how I look in the morning
View attachment 1131637
Happy Sunday, hope everyone enjoyed their weekends. Looking forward to seeing some more shots of the upcoming barlows...;)
Beautiful, Taylor!:)
KYzqEtS.jpg

Seemed appropriate
Awsome! They are a great pattern!:cool::thumbsup:
This year it lands on my birthday May 20th
Happy B-day, Dave! t0342.gif
Mine was on the 3rd!:cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words Dennis :) Wow, what a fantastic pic, and the patina is incredible, I thought it was reflection at first! :eek: Very cool :cool: :thumbsup:
Thank you very much, Jack!:):thumbsup:
Have a good week folks :thumbsup:

sV8YNlV.jpg
Oh, so lovely!
Been forging some Damascus?:D:thumbsup:
@dc50 Happy Birthday Dave! :D:D:D

I hope all you Guardians have a great week! :thumbsup: :D I’ve got my Ashley’s Choice along today! :D

44736248301_b6d4780741_b_d.jpg
Beautiful shot, Ron!:eek::thumbsup:
Good Morning Guardians
Seeing red this morning, John! Nice foto!!:cool::thumbsup:

Getting ready for tornado threats, so I am sorry if I missed anyone, like I think I did yesterday!:(
Have a great Monday!:cool::thumbsup:
oteIIGU.jpg

You are posting some stunning photos of your Ironwood '19 Dwight
Thank you Jack. The Unity image is gorgeous.

So it's old vehicles, steam tractors, old tractors, and the original winding engine.
David those old machines are incredible. What a wonderful day spent among those jewels.

Happy Birthday Dave! I will toast your health tonight my friend. :)

Have a great week Guardians.IMG_1056.jpeg

That's how I look in the morning

Beautiful, Taylor!:)

Awsome! They are a great pattern!:cool::thumbsup:

Happy B-day, Dave! View attachment 1131737
Mine was on the 3rd!:cool::thumbsup:

Thank you very much, Jack!:):thumbsup:

Oh, so lovely!
Been forging some Damascus?:D:thumbsup:

Beautiful shot, Ron!:eek::thumbsup:

Seeing red this morning, John! Nice foto!!:cool::thumbsup:

Getting ready for tornado threats, so I am sorry if I missed anyone, like I think I did yesterday!:(
Have a great Monday!:cool::thumbsup:
oteIIGU.jpg
THANKS!

Stay safe with those tornadoes....

@dc50 Dave,
Both I, and more importantly, Senator Man Jack, my lambsfoot companion this week, wish you a Joyous Birthday! :cool::cool::thumbsup::)
2senator.pile.V.nov17.jpg

In fact, I'd wager that every last man jack (and woman jill) of us also wish a belated Happy Birthday to Dennis and Happy BF Anniversary to Vince! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:.

- GT

I've been to Yellowstone only once, but I'm glad I went and would certainly go again! Wondrous place. Besides seeing Old Faceful up close and personal, I've never been anywhere else where I've had to wait for bison to get off the road :cool: If you (or anyone else) ever decide to hop in the old jalopy and make it out this way, I'm always looking for an excuse to act as a tour guide and I'll even throw in free lodging :)
Thanks OG, that's a tempting offer, you just never know! I remember years ago pheasant hunting in South Dakota having to stop and wait for thousands(yes, really) of pheasants to fly and/or walk across the road from one field to another.
With eye candy like that, I'm going to be diabetic before long! Nice, Ron!

Boy, that was about 35 years ago....:eek: I was riding two events, bull

bareback. I just used the same rowles, just took the bailing wire off and rode the bareback pretty late. Got hung up, and it was the last time I rode since I had kids by then.

Thank you very much, Harvey! Working on it. Gotta get a heart issue fixed before the neck and shoulder now. :rolleyes:

What a great shot!:cool::thumbsup:

Thank you very much, Chin! Seeing that Doppelbock and ebony sure made me smile!:cool::thumbsup:

What a beautiful pattern with those covers, Jack!:eek::thumbsup:

Very elegant! And the dillybag is very cool!:D:thumbsup:

Very regal! Looks fantastic!:thumbsup:

Great shot, Dwight! :):thumbsup: I bet the birds were happy once you finished your photo shoot!:D

Beautiful shot! Looks like a great day!

Great shot, so simple, but a lot going on!:):thumbsup:

Don't get much better than that, Dwight!:cool: very photogenic setting!:thumbsup:

Like others have stated, sure miss your posts. At first, I was sad. Then I felt empathy for you going through the move, I felt bad you had to get all the other projects done.
......Then I saw the "tin"! Everyone knows what the "tin" is. I seen the contents, then I felt.....ENVIOUS....then JEALOUS! :D
Just kidding, great looking knife, what a way to mark moving into the new house! Hope all goes well morning in! :):thumbsup:

Right!? Well, that and carrying an 80# ruck sack and long, lovely strolls in foriegn lands. :p:thumbsup:

Live, in their natural habitat! Nice photo!:thumbsup:

Living in town now, I don't get out shooting as much anymore, but get out and shoot the .22's some.

Mine today...
FYweDzA.jpg

We get to soon old and to late smart...if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself...and other sayings of aging!
That is a great shot, Dennis, I thought it was reflection on the blade. What did you cut up to get that strong of a patina?
This year it lands on my birthday May 20th :p
Happy Birthday, Dave, hope you can enjoy it without having to much moving stuff to do!
Awww :) Great pic Preston :) :thumbsup:
Fascinating post OG, I think Trango Tower might pip El Cap, but my brain is not functioning very well today - woke up on the sofa last night, next to a large Rusty Nail! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack, I sort of remember drinking Rusty Nails, would wake up with the most awful hangover:eek::rolleyes::eek:
What a great photographic tour of the area, David. Thanks, seeing all the old machinery and vehicles reminds me of how difficult a life folks had in that time. I think the same when I see the old wagon trails here through the plains and mountains of Colorado...
Having rain and fog this AM...not nice out but I have to run errands. Hope your day goes great Guardians! I'll carry the Senator with me today.
DSC_0336.JPG

mitch4ging mitch4ging Hey Dennis, belatedly wishing you a belated Happy Birthday. Also wishing you and yours, safe passage throuhout Tornado Season.

@Dave, Big Happy Birthday. Despite the chaos attending the move, I hope you can sneak in a nap or two.:) Your two Lambs are beautiful, especially the bottom one.

donn donn I would agree with your thinking on erratic behavior as a major cause, along with all the other medical and genetic abnormalities, not to mention the so called “Divine Right of Kings.”
I also wouldn’t leave out the British Historian, Lord Acton’s “Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely.” All this sounds like a perfect recipe for Historical mayhem.

Note: I feel like I’m back in school.:)

The images from the Lancashire Mining Museum were brilliant. Thank you David.

Fodderwing Fodderwing Dwight, Great moody image of your AC. Love how the foggy background adds to sharp Lambsfoot.

5K Qs 5K Qs GT, your image of Senator Man Jack is a handsome one.

pjsjr pjsjr Preston, your Senator looks fantastic.

Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly “Hail to the Queen.”

Jack Black Jack Black Thank you as well, Jack. Beautiful Lambsfoot you have there. Love that anvil.

Good Morning Guardians
6FC076A9-8F63-4673-8479-C8C56BD0237D.jpeg

Back