Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Had a wonderful surprise today, Guardians. Got home after work and found an unexpected package in my mailbox. Air mail. From England! A postcard inside informed me that Taylor ( tmd_87 tmd_87 ), winner of the third lambsfoot in Jack Black Jack Black 's recent GAW, had instructed Jack to forward the prize to me! :)

It is a limited edition African Rosewood lambsfoot from A. Wright & Son. And a gorgeous specimen!

What a lovely gesture, Taylor. A million thanks!

Jack included a few goodies in the package:
jqVp85y.jpg

A Leeds "Potts Clocks Heritage Trail" walking map; an interesting postcard; a lamb button; an old Irish coin (!); a Yorskshire pen; a Guinness (best drink in the world) pencil; and a White Rose of Yorkshire magnet. What a treat!

Here's a picture of the knife in the sun (about an hour before sunset):
KSuF61x.jpg

Lovely covers, and great fit and finish. I'm going to put an even better edge on it later this week with my Arkansas stone, and flush the joints even if it doesn't need it. The pull is perfect, and the lockup is tight. Feels great in the hand. What a pleasant surprise! :)

Thanks again to Taylor, and a big thanks to Jack. This is the best thread in the best forum on the internet.

Cheers!

Congratulations Vince and millions of congratulations to Taylor for his generosity!!!:):thumbsup:

David why are they wanting to ban them?

Without going into politics which we thankfully don't discuss in The Porch it's hard to explain, but...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45225406

This would effectively make ANY forms of steam traction in the UK unviable. :mad:

I've been poisoned one or two times myself! :D :thumbsup:

So when you publish that book we all want you to write, will I find it in 'Biographical' or 'True Crime/Murder Mystery'...? :D

I'm heading over to see @ADEE tomorrow, and visit his local flea-market, and maybe an antique shop or two ;) He hasn't seen my SamDamLamb yet, so I think I better take it along :thumbsup:

YOeGQfK.jpg

You know what it's never occurred to me before but from that angle that file work is really reminiscent of carvings on ancient crosses.

Your AC is just outstanding, Dwight, as is your photo of it. The fog was thicker here this AM, the rain turned to snow! Big wet globs of slush!
IMG_1132.JPG

David as you can see the weather has turned for the worse...I have a video of the snow, but can't figure out how to upload it.:mad:

Rosie wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
IMG_1135.JPG

It's 30 here right now and still have light snow falling. This is the latest snow fall and the heaviest I can remember and I've lived in Colorado all my life save for four years in the US Army.

Morning Guardians from the wacky weather state of Colorado! Last night and through this morning the snow gods descended on my area and dropped 8-10 inches of the heavy white stuff.
The first photo is basically the same as the one posted in 21625 taken about a half hour ago. The second shows the droop on my maple tree, it's not broken yet, hope it survives this storm.
IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

Crikey Preston! Sorry the video didn't work but I appreciate the effort. :thumbsup:
You remind me of the joke made by a Scottish comedian Billy Connelly about Scottish weather.
"There's only two seasons in Scotland. June. And Winter".

I know where a couple of weeks late but in Europe there is the story of 'The Ice Saints'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints
Not sure if they made it over to Colorado though. I'd say stay safe but I'm sure your all sorted for this sort of thing. :thumbsup:

I'll probably soon move other knife-related keepsakes (coins, button spanners, etc.) into it to create a treasure chest. ;)

Very cool, David! :cool::cool::thumbsup: These carvings (on a much smaller scale) look like they'd be a whittling project that would fit my primitive skills. :thumbsup:;)

Man Jack with me all week:
View attachment 1132304

- GT

Thanks for the suggestion GT, I hadn't thought about that. I've been thinking of trying a bit of whittling but didn't know what to whittle. But I wouldn't like to try a full size one, not with my sharpening skills... :rolleyes::D
I hope your Man Jack is serving you well. :thumbsup:
BTW, what's a button spanner?

Is this a UK usage of "pants"? I don't think I've heard the word used negatively like this before; what's the history of this usage??
- GT

Yip it's British slang for something that's rubbish but when it came to be used in that context I don't know. Of course here in the UK 'pants' are underwear. What you call pants in the US we call trousers.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pants

....but I kinda like this one :rolleyes:
M6q9TRA.jpg

OG

Aye we kinda like it to... :D:thumbsup:

I've decided my tin is to become a tinder box :thumbsup:
KvJ2rbB.jpg

I remember a Desmond Bagley villain who had a coal fire in his grate in his London penthouse, and our hero said, "Isn't that illegal [,you arrogant upper-class twit]", but no, the villain had had some sort of scrubbers installed to clean his emissions to a legal level.
I think I've read all Bagley's books, and I'm pretty sure he's dead. Too bad.
r3eaCrL.jpg

Thanks Preston, seeing the ducks just sitting out there on the wet pavement in front of the busy railway station made me reach for my camera :D The statue is of former British Prime Minister Harold Wilson, who was from Huddersfield. It has some quite grand architecture for a small town, but its heyday was many decades ago :thumbsup:
Of Taxman fame?

Have a great day folks :thumbsup:
The Lambsfoot Day officially begins when Jack posts. :D

It looks so fancy. Congratulations. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

That seems to be a popular use for the tin. Excellent picture. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

All you guys posting your Lambsfoot knives and books have got me wanting to read a bit this Summer. I just ordered my first book in a while. Stay tuned...

That's a great idea and cool photo of it. Hope you both enjoyed the ride. :)

It is quite beautiful on both sides. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Looks like a most useful knife, Rachel. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Good morning all! I am really starting to worry about Dennis @mitch4ging . Hopefully he's just in a power failure mode and nothing more serious.

View attachment 1132784
I'm hoping he's okay too.
I'm sure that no tornado is going to get the best of that tough 'ol cowboy.

I'm glad it finally made it to you Vince (took long enough) :thumbsup: I thought it was a very generous gesture on Taylor's part :) I'm glad you liked the surprise, and the package :) Did I not include a bottle-opener?! That was remiss of me :( Enjoy your Cornerstone Lambsfoot my friend ;) :thumbsup:
Thanks, again, Jack! It was great surprise. In my pocket now. :)

I started out the night with heat but it didn't work well at that elevation and eventually went out. I awoke in a not-so-snug cocoon of ice layering the inside of the uninsulated fiberglass shell camper. I was apprehensive about going
to sleep for fear of never waking so I eased on down the road to Gunnison headed east and south over Monarch Pass and didn't stop again until Ratón.
Dwight, I think you were real lucky you woke up and made the decision you did. Monarch Pass, at night, is a scary ride!!
Had a wonderful surprise today, Guardians. Got home after work and found an unexpected package in my mailbox. Air mail. From England! A postcard inside informed me that Taylor ( tmd_87 tmd_87 ), winner of the third lambsfoot in Jack Black Jack Black 's recent GAW, had instructed Jack to forward the prize to me!
Vince, glad it came safe and sound. That knife is gonna look good in the beverage and blade thread as well!!! Just promise you will post it with an IPA....hahahah :p
Kudos to all, Jack, Taylor and Vince. What great people here.
I sure hope you beleaguered folks get some more seasonal weather soon :thumbsup: That's a great pic OG :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Preston, seeing the ducks just sitting out there on the wet pavement in front of the busy railway station made me reach for my camera :D The statue is of former British Prime Minister Harold Wilson, who was from Huddersfield. It has some quite grand architecture for a small town, but its heyday was many decades ago :thumbsup:

Sounds like quite an adventure Dwight! :eek: I'm glad you made it buddy :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Duncan, which model did you get?

Thanks Harvey :) I certainly wouldn't like that! :eek: :thumbsup:

Thank you Mark, that's a lovely image :) :thumbsup:

Yikes! That blade is a MESS! :eek: You should send Wright's a copy of your photo :thumbsdown: I thought all the Snakewood models came with a polished blade, they have a pretty hefty price-tag I think. Still, edge apart, it does look nice :thumbsup:

I know that feeling Dave :rolleyes:

Glad it's going well my friend :) :thumbsup: I'm sorry, I quote of your earlier pic was dropped from my multi-quote yesterday :( It's a great-looking knife :thumbsup:

Thank you Dwight, you're very kind :) :thumbsup:

I'm glad it finally made it to you Vince (took long enough) :thumbsup: I thought it was a very generous gesture on Taylor's part :) I'm glad you liked the surprise, and the package :) Did I not include a bottle-opener?! That was remiss of me :( Enjoy your Cornerstone Lambsfoot my friend ;) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D A pleasure Taylor, you're a kind soul :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the helpful replies Vince :) :thumbsup:

Hopefully you'll get used to the pull, and come to appreciate it :) I think of the pull on my Otter as being a little on the light side ;) :thumbsup:

Good advice Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a good week :)

Thought I'd carry some horn today - from 2018 :) :thumbsup:

Have a great day folks :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack, that horn is such a lovely knife...a standout among your many! You do a great job of photographing the sights and scenes of your travels around your area.
Good morning, Guardians.
The mail knocked on the door and arrived this wonder of Sheffield in stag, left hand and worked back!!!:D:thumbsup:

iznh9u.jpg
2utjh9v.jpg
sfjs5g.jpg
That's a great addition to your rapidly growing collection, Jose.
Crikey Preston! Sorry the video didn't work but I appreciate the effort. :thumbsup:
You remind me of the joke made by a Scottish comedian Billy Connelly about Scottish weather.
"There's only two seasons in Scotland. June. And Winter".

I know where a couple of weeks late but in Europe there is the story of 'The Ice Saints'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saints
Not sure if they made it over to Colorado though. I'd say stay safe but I'm sure your all sorted for this sort of thing. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the link, David, I hadn't heard of the Ice Saints, but, I think they could find a home here. This time of year any snow we get here is gone rather quickly...this amount will take a few days. Great use of the Lambsfoot tin!
Thanks for the compliment Gary! :) Handy as a pocket on a shirt! :eek: While the pile side is not as prime as the mark, I think it’s still some very nice Sambar! :D

43755956925_97343ef420_b_d.jpg
That is just such an excellent knife!
Good morning all! I am really starting to worry about Dennis @mitch4ging . Hopefully he's just in a power failure mode and nothing more serious.
Me too, Dwight, tornadoes, power outages and flooding in and around OKC. My thoughts are with him and others in that area.

Morning Guardians, the sun is out and the melt has started! It's going to be a muddy mess for a few days...
I'll have the Senator with me today.
IMG_1139.JPG

Back