Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Nice looking Shrimp!! Great food and a a great knife!!:thumbsup:
Life is good r8shell!! Nice to see you getting your veggies, too!!:)

Nice looking Shrimp!! Great food and a a great knife!!:thumbsup:
Life is good r8shell!! Nice to see you getting your veggies, too!!:)
Thanks, waynorth! Mom always said you have to eat something green every day. :p:thumbsup:

Once the patina evens out on the blade, I'm hoping the etch is deep enough that it doesn't disappear. I think a bit of a rub with a polishing cloth from time to time, just over the etch will keep it visible.

R8shell, I have no way of measuring the depth of etch, but it feels a lot deeper than the ones on my Barlows. Maybe it will hang in there for a while!!?? It'll be interesting to find out . . . . . .

R8shell, I have no way of measuring the depth of etch, but it feels a lot deeper than the ones on my Barlows. Maybe it will hang in there for a while!!?? It'll be interesting to find out . . . . . .
I think so, too. I can feel it with my fingernail, and I don't remember being able to do that with any of GEC's etches. Not as deep as if it were stamped though. If it disappears entirely, I could always take it to a jeweler and have them engrave it back on...

They all look great guys and gals. Mines stalled at Kennedy airport hopefully it comes soon.

I am having so much trouble getting an accurate photo of these amazing scales (covers). There is SO MUCH contrast. I need my real camera, which is not here right now. Sorry. Lots of whining, I know.
cHmYDgF.jpg

sBmLpeP.jpg

I think so, too. I can feel it with my fingernail, and I don't remember being able to do that with any of GEC's etches. Not as deep as if it were stamped though. If it disappears entirely, I could always take it to a jeweler and have them engrave it back on...
I agree! The etch has depth. It's great. Very, very cool knives. As if they were made 50 years ago? I don't know.

Shows what they can do with a little encouragement Charlie :) Nice to see that there are still a few Sheffield cutlers who can turn out a decent knife :) :thumbsup:
No disagreement from me to either you or Charlie on your comments. These are very, very good. A little stiff for my weak, brittle, crippled, old hands. :oops: But, that is not a defect. I will work these in. An unusual, (this side of the pond) classy, useful and good looking knife!

Well at last I am able to show my fellow Guardians part of my package from Jack. I received it on Thursday and on Friday between work and a short trip for the weekend I didn't even have time to post what I was totin yesterday!;) Which just happened to be a Midnight Special! :D Let me just say that I am extremely happy with these very special knives. Thank you Jack for all your efforts in this project! Special thanks to the cutlers at A. Wright and Son for showing the world exactly what they are capable of producing. :thumbsup: I am proud to be able to drop one of these in my pocket! :D

23839489478_6fe50d2988_k.jpg

23839489168_6ed716be4b_b.jpg
WoW! Ron. Those came out great! Very nice.

Well at last I am able to show my fellow Guardians part of my package from Jack. I received it on Thursday and on Friday between work and a short trip for the weekend I didn't even have time to post what I was totin yesterday!;) Which just happened to be a Midnight Special! :D Let me just say that I am extremely happy with these very special knives. Thank you Jack for all your efforts in this project! Special thanks to the cutlers at A. Wright and Son for showing the world exactly what they are capable of producing. :thumbsup: I am proud to be able to drop one of these in my pocket! :D

23839489478_6fe50d2988_k.jpg

23839489168_6ed716be4b_b.jpg
Wow Rob my friend- that Knife at bottom of the photo is spectacular!!! Both knives shown are - but the activity in the Bone is amazing :thumbsup:

Jack I am extremely pleased with all of them!!!!:D:D:D:D;) That is exactly what I thought also when I first saw Charlie’s photos! Thank you my friend! :)

You're very welcome Ron, it's great to know how pleased folks are with them :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 780864
Fish & Chips: Texas by way of Louisiana style: Tabasco sauce, horseradish, and tartar sauce mixed into a "Remoulade"
leftovers dabbed onto knife blade while finishing one's beer gives a good start to a patina.
View attachment 780890

Those are just GREAT pics r8shell, fantastic for me to see fish 'n' chips Texas style :) :thumbsup: I had nachos and a burrito for lunch yesterday, in a local Mexican place (bit of a hang-out for the small local Latin American community), washed down with an Ocho Reales :) Unfortunately, I forgot my camera :(

Thanks, waynorth! Mom always said you have to eat something green every day. :p:thumbsup:

Once the patina evens out on the blade, I'm hoping the etch is deep enough that it doesn't disappear. I think a bit of a rub with a polishing cloth from time to time, just over the etch will keep it visible.

LOL! :D Yeah, I really don't know about the etch. There is only one setting on the machine, but it does seem to burn the etch into the surface of the blade, not just the polish. I guess we'll have to see :)

AWSFOM 1-4S.JPG

I would have liked a deep stamp, but it would have presented some difficulties, since Wright's would have had to come up with a way of stamping the ground blade, and the cost of a new stamp itself is at least £200 in Sheffield these days.

When I was doing my Jack Black Knives fixed-blades back in the early 1990's, a customer wanted a blade engraving with a message to his son. That knife was used real hard by a teenage boy, and it is still in use, with the engraving intact, today! However, because the blade was already hardened, the guy who did it, (quite a famous Sheffield tang-stamp maker, who made the new A.Wright stamp as well as my Jack Black Knives stamp), would only do it reluctantly, and the work wasn't cheap, because of the wear to his tools. That said, I see companies offering engraving to the blades of SAKs fairly routinely.

They all look great guys and gals. Mines stalled at Kennedy airport hopefully it comes soon.

Hope you get it soon my friend :thumbsup:

I am having so much trouble getting an accurate photo of these amazing scales (covers). There is SO MUCH contrast. I need my real camera, which is not here right now. Sorry. Lots of whining, I know.
cHmYDgF.jpg

sBmLpeP.jpg

Pay no attention to that glare on the bare head. This is one of the "midnight specials". I bought two Guardian's knives. This is far from black horn. It has a lot of contrast and depth. Having trouble again, getting a decent photo.
zCKKiHc.jpg

mYqxtI7.jpg

Great to see your pics Alan :) I agree with you on the Midnight Specials, they have a beauty all of their own :) :thumbsup:

I agree! The etch has depth. It's great. Very, very cool knives. As if they were made 50 years ago? I don't know.

Maybe more ;)

No disagreement from me to either you or Charlie on your comments. These are very, very good. A little stiff for my weak, brittle, crippled, old hands. :oops: But, that is not a defect. I will work these in. An unusual, (this side of the pond) classy, useful and good looking knife!

Sorry to hear you're struggling a little Alan, I expect to have the same problem at some point myself. For now, I still like a stiff pull, but there are ways to make them easier to open if you need it. At some point, you might want to try one of the larger Lambsfoot knives, as I think they are easier to pinch open :thumbsup:

You're very welcome Ron, it's great to know how pleased folks are with them :) :thumbsup:

Those are just GREAT pics r8shell, fantastic for me to see fish 'n' chips Texas style :) :thumbsup: I had nachos and a burrito for lunch yesterday, in a local Mexican place (bit of a hang-out for the small local Latin American community), washed down with an Ocho Reales :) Unfortunately, I forgot my camera :(

LOL! :D Yeah, I really don't know about the etch. There is only one setting on the machine, but it does seem to burn the etch into the surface of the blade, not just the polish. I guess we'll have to see :)

View attachment 781192

I would have liked a deep stamp, but it would have presented some difficulties, since Wright's would have had to come up with a way of stamping the ground blade, and the cost of a new stamp itself is at least £200 in Sheffield these days.

When I was doing my Jack Black Knives fixed-blades back in the early 1990's, a customer wanted a blade engraving with a message to his son. That knife was used real hard by a teenage boy, and it is still in use, with the engraving intact, today! However, because the blade was already hardened, the guy who did it, (quite a famous Sheffield tang-stamp maker, who made the new A.Wright stamp as well as my Jack Black Knives stamp), would only do it reluctantly, and the work wasn't cheap, because of the wear to his tools. That said, I see companies offering engraving to the blades of SAKs fairly routinely.

Hope you get it soon my friend :thumbsup:

Great to see your pics Alan :) I agree with you on the Midnight Specials, they have a beauty all of their own :) :thumbsup:

Maybe more ;)

Sorry to hear you're struggling a little Alan, I expect to have the same problem at some point myself. For now, I still like a stiff pull, but there are ways to make them easier to open if you need it. At some point, you might want to try one of the larger Lambsfoot knives, as I think they are easier to pinch open :thumbsup:

Agree on the Midnight Specials Jack. They seem to be a portion of the more feathered horn, if that makes sense?
No problem struggling with the pull. I've had no chance to flush and work the pivot yet. Hope you have a fine Sunday sir:thumbsup:

You got a winner, Charlie! :thumbsup: (Not that I've seen one yet that isn't. :D)

Thought I'd go back in the thread and see if I could find a photo of my Guardians Lambsfoot in Sheffield as well. Sure enough, there it is!

Y84JS05.jpg

aCs41NT.jpg

And here it is in Arizona.

6pHnRmw.jpg

While looking, I think I also spotted Charlie's knife getting etched on the pantograph machine.

s61HPl2.jpg

7rgIMBr.jpg
Great Detective work Barrett! I think I see my Guardian's. 4th from the left in your first shot. It's interesting some mark sides are more figured and some have the highly figured horn on the pile? That just adds to the uniqueness in my opinion. :thumbsup:

I think the wide variations in delivery time have mostly to do with destination. I'm not far from Baltimore, MD. So, mine arrived at Kennedy in NYC airport fairly quickly, then over a couple days to Baltimore. Once there, I had it the next day. Basically two hops.

Ah! It's gone to his head Charlie!:D:D

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Agree on the Midnight Specials Jack. They seem to be a portion of the more feathered horn, if that makes sense?
No problem struggling with the pull. I've had no chance to flush and work the pivot yet. Hope you have a fine Sunday sir:thumbsup:

Yes, I know just what you mean Alan, the horn is really pretty amazing close up isn't it? :) Thanks my friend, so far the coffee and pie is a highlight! :D :thumbsup:

Great Detective work Barrett! I think I see my Guardian's. 4th from the left in your first shot. It's interesting some mark sides are more figured and some have the highly figured horn on the pile? That just adds to the uniqueness in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Yes, ordinarily they'd just use fancy horn for one side, so you'd have a definite mark side. With these, both sides are competing with each other! :D I'll have to try to remember to take more pics of the pile side of my knife :thumbsup:

Back