1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you Duncan! I couldn’t be more pleased my friend! :D

Campbellclanman likes this.
  2. Half/Stop

Jul 25, 2014
    I have affectionately nicknamed these “The Three Amigos”! :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Ay Caramba! :eek: :) Great pics my friend :thumbsup:

(Just managed to spill tea all over my keyboard! :( )

4. Half/Stop

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks for the compliment Jack! :) So sorry to hear about the keyboard!!! :eek::(

5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I was so busy staring at the knives, I completely missed the edge of the desk with my cup! :rolleyes:

Half/Stop likes this.
  6. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Sure, a deep stamp would have been nice, but I'm not complaining. It's very cool to have the etch put on by a historic old machine like that.

I've got terribly thin nails, but after a day of playing with and using the knife, I can open it with no problem at all. Now that there's the start of a patina, I can even pinch it open if my hands are dry.

I just took a picture to show the difference in size between the large rosewood and the Guardian. Do they make a smaller size as well, @Jack Black ?
    Lambfoots guardian and rosewood.jpg

Pàdruig likes this.
  7. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Yes, I thought so too :cool: I doubt there are many machines like that left, and it doesn't get used much these days :)

Good stuff :) I can pinch mine, but usually if my hands are wet or cold I sort of push the blade open with the nick, using the underside of the nick, and pushing back in the direction the blade opens :thumbsup:

Yes they do make a smaller size, though I don't seem to be able to find a comparison pic. Let me go take one and I'll post again ;) :thumbsup:

gonebad395 and r8shell like this.
  8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm afraid I've only got the nasty artificial lighting in my kitchen now, but here are the three AW Swayback sizes :thumbsup:

AW Lambsfoot Sizes.JPG

Pàdruig, Half/Stop and AShearer like this.
  9. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks for the comparison pic, Jack. Tell me, are the blades in the two smaller knives, the same length??

10. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    It would be nice to see the Lambsfoot knife cross that pond as a US produced model!
    Almost all other Sheffield patters came over in the last century or two - it's about time!!
    We can always use another classy, useful and good looking knife!
    :)

11. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
  12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    A quarter inch difference between them I think Charlie, I'll try to get a less confusing pic tomorrow :thumbsup:

13. AShearer

AShearer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Total agreement Charlie. Let’s bring it? How do we do that?

14. AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    Oh no! Stop doing that!!

15. AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    Oh
    Oh Boy, Oh Boy:)

16. AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    @r8shell I’m just old, but I did get a chance to at least clean up the joint and oil. It’s already smoother. Soon to be “pinchable” I think?

17. AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    Yow, Ron! Another great set of pics. Tomorrow tomorrow p. I promise :):)

Half/Stop likes this.
  18. spycycle

spycycle

Dec 15, 2014
    @r8shell Yours is quite a looker! And happy to see the first patina on a Guardian 'foot blade, too.

r8shell and Jack Black like this.
  19. echo-7

echo-7

Aug 1, 2003
    Great thread... SHARP looking blades gents...

Jack Black likes this.
  20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Here's another pic, medium blade measures 2 1/2" from the front of the tang, small one is 2 3/8", even less difference than I thought. I make the closed lengths, 3 5/16" and 3 9/16" respectively :thumbsup:

Lamabsfoot Medium-Small.JPG

Charlie, we have been hunting a US-made Lambsfoot for some years now, without success, my friend. Who knows why the Lambsfoot missed the boat across the pond, perhaps like the Unicorn it was too busy gambolling around! :D Even more of a mystery is why no US maker has made this supremely versatile pattern since. Just think how different history might have been with a US Lambsfoot, maybe there would have been a third volume of Huck and Tom's adventures, maybe Honest Abe wouldn't have been preoccupied trying to get a blade open on his Congress! :eek: It may be late in passing over the pond, but we Guardians know just what a great knife it is, and America NEEDS one! ;) :thumbsup:

:D :cool: :thumbsup:

Thank you sir :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Half/Stop, Pàdruig and Cambertree like this.