Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I have affectionately nicknamed these “The Three Amigos”! :D
37643654836_0fcc202467_b_d.jpg

37434649560_0d87a4aeb2_b_d.jpg

LOL! :D Yeah, I really don't know about the etch. There is only one setting on the machine, but it does seem to burn the etch into the surface of the blade, not just the polish. I guess we'll have to see :)

awsfom-1-4s-jpg.781192

I would have liked a deep stamp, but it would have presented some difficulties, since Wright's would have had to come up with a way of stamping the ground blade, and the cost of a new stamp itself is at least £200 in Sheffield these days.
Sure, a deep stamp would have been nice, but I'm not complaining. It's very cool to have the etch put on by a historic old machine like that.

No disagreement from me to either you or Charlie on your comments. These are very, very good. A little stiff for my weak, brittle, crippled, old hands. :oops: But, that is not a defect. I will work these in. An unusual, (this side of the pond) classy, useful and good looking knife!

I've got terribly thin nails, but after a day of playing with and using the knife, I can open it with no problem at all. Now that there's the start of a patina, I can even pinch it open if my hands are dry.

I just took a picture to show the difference in size between the large rosewood and the Guardian. Do they make a smaller size as well, Jack Black Jack Black ?
Lambfoots guardian and rosewood.jpg

Sure, a deep stamp would have been nice, but I'm not complaining. It's very cool to have the etch put on by a historic old machine like that.

I've got terribly thin nails, but after a day of playing with and using the knife, I can open it with no problem at all. Now that there's the start of a patina, I can even pinch it open if my hands are dry.

I just took a picture to show the difference in size between the large rosewood and the Guardian. Do they make a smaller size as well, Jack Black Jack Black ?
View attachment 781396

Yes, I thought so too :cool: I doubt there are many machines like that left, and it doesn't get used much these days :)

Good stuff :) I can pinch mine, but usually if my hands are wet or cold I sort of push the blade open with the nick, using the underside of the nick, and pushing back in the direction the blade opens :thumbsup:

Yes they do make a smaller size, though I don't seem to be able to find a comparison pic. Let me go take one and I'll post again ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comparison pic, Jack. Tell me, are the blades in the two smaller knives, the same length??

No disagreement from me to either you or Charlie on your comments. These are very, very good. A little stiff for my weak, brittle, crippled, old hands. :oops: But, that is not a defect. I will work these in. An unusual, (this side of the pond) classy, useful and good looking knife!

It would be nice to see the Lambsfoot knife cross that pond as a US produced model!
Almost all other Sheffield patters came over in the last century or two - it's about time!!
We can always use another classy, useful and good looking knife!
:)

Thanks for the comparison pic, Jack. Tell me, are the blades in the two smaller knives, the same length??

A quarter inch difference between them I think Charlie, I'll try to get a less confusing pic tomorrow :thumbsup:

It would be nice to see the Lambsfoot knife cross that pond as a US produced model!
Almost all other Sheffield patters came over in the last century or two - it's about time!!
Total agreement Charlie. Let’s bring it? How do we do that?

View attachment 781396
r8shell r8shell I’m just old, but I did get a chance to at least clean up the joint and oil. It’s already smoother. Soon to be “pinchable” I think?

A quarter inch difference between them I think Charlie, I'll try to get a less confusing pic tomorrow :thumbsup:

Here's another pic, medium blade measures 2 1/2" from the front of the tang, small one is 2 3/8", even less difference than I thought. I make the closed lengths, 3 5/16" and 3 9/16" respectively :thumbsup:

Lamabsfoot Medium-Small.JPG

Charlie, we have been hunting a US-made Lambsfoot for some years now, without success, my friend. Who knows why the Lambsfoot missed the boat across the pond, perhaps like the Unicorn it was too busy gambolling around! :D Even more of a mystery is why no US maker has made this supremely versatile pattern since. Just think how different history might have been with a US Lambsfoot, maybe there would have been a third volume of Huck and Tom's adventures, maybe Honest Abe wouldn't have been preoccupied trying to get a blade open on his Congress! :eek: It may be late in passing over the pond, but we Guardians know just what a great knife it is, and America NEEDS one! ;) :thumbsup:

View attachment 781496

'Leave the Lambsfoot, take the pie.'

'On second thoughts, TAKE the Lambsfoot too!':D;):p

:D :cool: :thumbsup:

Great thread... SHARP looking blades gents...

Thank you sir :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back