Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Great story! Might use that line about the ears next time I go to the barber.
Vince I am certain Rolf would be flattered if you do.

Pile side:
RskHmQe.jpg
That really is wonderful stag!

Thank you Jack, I'm pleased that it may be until next year before we see a new creation courtesy of JB :cool:
Number one, you need to enjoy the hikes,pubs and pies without a bugaboo riding on your shoulder.
Number two because I told the Missus/Linda that these Barlow's are the last of my knife purchases until next year.:rolleyes::p
Hikes, pubs and pies ... sounds like a great time to me.

Wishing my fellow Guardians a peaceful Sunday.
IPJMihK.jpg
The WOW factor is strong in this one!

Thanks Jack, here is a picture of José always with his short hair!!:cool::thumbsup:

30iw5xt.jpg
José I find it difficult to believe that the women chasing a handsome guy like you around would allow you enough time to stand in one place and pose for a photograph.

Interesting post HC, we are going to have to get you a Lambsfoot ;) When I was a boy, my uncles and father would often talk about the ritual of going to the barbers for a shave on a Saturday morning, as us something I had to look forward to as I got older. Unfortunately, by the time I grew up, things had changed, men shaved at home, and barbers were frightened of using straight razors because of health scares. I was going to get one on my birthday the other year, but balked at paying the best part of $50. I was asking Brian about it, and he was saying that things were different in the old days, the Towel Boy would do all the prep, and the barber would just move along the line from one guy to another, so he didn't have to charge fancy prices. I have straight myself, but have noticed that some of the trendy barbers offering expensive straight-razor shaves are actually using 'shavette's with a removable blade. It's a shame that ordinary guys can no longer have the simple pleasure of a good shave at a reasonable price, we've lost something :( :thumbsup:

There's a joke related to the hashtag too, but it's a bit of a long story ;) :thumbsup:

Lambsfoot content ;) :thumbsup:

yAs7VZ9.jpg
Jack around here barbers gave an "under 12 years old" discount on Saturdays to encourage dad's to bring the kids in. If mom took the kids to her hairdresser the boys were lost as customers. At the risk of catching flak, I had an electronic scrolling sign that said:"Bill's Barber Shop where Boys, Grandpa's and Real Men get their haircut." It really was good for business and I had to borrow it from an eight year old customer that thought it up. You guys really have some nice stag! I think I could be talked into a lambsfoot Jack.

About time for a family photo I think...

The ironwood is slightly bigger than the rosewood, and the Barlow slightly bigger still.
A very nice trio there. I have not seen Ironwood before, the fire trucks must follow you around with flames like that?
Linda and I went to Montanas for the first time last night for a burger and beer. Ordered The Canadian Burger and I have to say it was one of the best tasting burgers we've had in years.:thumbsup::D
View attachment 1149736 View attachment 1149739 View attachment 1149737
That is making me hungry. Do you suppose all those vehicle owners would cringe if they knew we called them "station wagons" in the last century?

Here are my four Lambs JohnDF JohnDF . Been a great year for the Lambsfoot knife!
SVbAikS.jpg
Four of a kind wins in Las Vegas and the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread.

You know after you say something and then think "was that right? I'm sure my rosewood only has three pins".... After carrying this for 15 odd years I just couldn't remember.:confused: Glad to say I'm not going doolally; it has only got three pins...
MQldfMX.jpg

Sounds cryptic Jack. It's not where Umpalumpahs mix the Hendersons is it? :D
And that door next to Brian's Barbers is the secret entrance??

I'm liking all these barber stories.:thumbsup: My involvement ended when I was 23 with my first unavoidable 0 cut.
Bglf5Gk.jpg

P.S. I'm the one in the shades :D
P.P.S. That's not when I was 23 either:D

I was thinking of a Jack Sunday sausage butty but a Texan hamburger butty will do mighty fine :D:thumbsup:

Your welcome.

Except it's more factual :D

They don't do subliminal advertising there do they. :D Looks delicious!

Sounds like where I live. But with earth tremors. :D

I will sir I will. :thumbsup:
First unavoidable 0 blade haircut sounds like a free one at boot camp?
I hope so, Rachel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I discovered that mine was released from Customs late last night after being held for 25 hours. Don't know how long it will take to get here from San Francisco. A song about long-distance deliveries sprang to mind for me, too, but mine comes from the lesser, but still well-loved by me, musical Paint Your Wagon:

- GT
After reading the thread about Canadian importation violations and confiscation being held hostage for 25 hours doesn't seem, too, bad. Now, honestly, before PAINT YOUR WAGON who ever thought they would see Lee Marvin in a musical?
So... today was the day for my attempt at Texas-style smoked hot links. :)

Here's the first of two strings to come off of the smoker:

ag75vEjh.jpg

Shortly afterwards, I used my Hartshead Barlow to separate the links. And to cut one open (gotta get that patina going, @tmd_87 ;)):

nyjPwCMh.jpg

It sliced through it like butter. :thumbsup:

I'm quite happy with the texture and level of smoke, but I need to bump up the heat next time. In the mean time, a judicious dose of Austin's Own BBQ Sauce (Border Edition - Medium; my favorite BBQ sauce) gave it some needed kick and the sausage was the main part of an enjoyable lunch.

Have a great rest of your weekend, everyone!
It is almost like having bangers for breakfast.
All that previous talk of hair cuts and razors reminded me of my youth when my Dad would cut my hair with an old electric clippers. I swear it pulled out more hair than it cut. :)
Here is a pair of Sheffield lovelies...

View attachment 1149953
My grandmother used to cut my grandfather flattop and she had an electric clippers. Guessing now, they may have been made in the 1930's and they reside here in the family archive, they still work but are so loud I don't know who would have used them or sat to have them nearby! Louder than bagpipes in an enclosed room.
They look great Greg! As an Apprentice Butcher/Meat cutter when I was 16, sausage making curing and smoking of the Hams and Bacon was where they started me off. :)
When my dad was growing up the schools only went to grade 8 and when he wasn't helping neighbors on their farms he walked to town (about 3 miles) and cut meat at one of the butcher shops in town, that was in the mid 1930's.

Well, we will see how this works out as this is my first stab at a multi-quote thanks to a video I found about this forum software on the World Wide Web. I think I lost one of Jack's posts though, I will go back and look after posting.

Thank you all for putting up with this interloper.

Last edited:
......just plain handsome, John! Nice photo!:)
Thank you, Dennis. :)

We use to have a 2004 Wrangler, a red one!:D Had to trade it off for a Tundra to pull our trailer, but I miss it!
Once a Jeep guy, always a Jeep guy. :cool: :thumbsup:

Stagtastic Shot, John!:cool::thumbsup:
Hope your Sunday was a pleasant one! How did your son fair today?
Thank for asking, Dennis. They won the Open Class at each of their first three shows. They even came close to matching the score of one of the World Class bands. They are sitting 16th in the National rankings right now. :cool: :thumbsup:

Ready for the next whirlwind adventure! Maybe while out Jeeping!:cool::thumbsup:
Very soon I hope. We are thinking mid July will be the kickoff for our wheeling.fishing season. :cool: :thumbsup:

A very nice trio there. I have not seen Ironwood before, the fire trucks must follow you around with flames like that?
Thank you... I do love the ironwood and if you look closely you can make out the image of a wolf in the grain. :D

That really is wonderful stag!

The WOW factor is strong in this one!
Thanks, Hairy!
Jack around here barbers gave an "under 12 years old" discount on Saturdays to encourage dad's to bring the kids in. If mom took the kids to her hairdresser the boys were lost as customers. At the risk of catching flak, I had an electronic scrolling sign that said:"Bill's Barber Shop where Boys, Grandpa's and Real Men get their haircut." It really was good for business and I had to borrow it from an eight year old customer that thought it up. You guys really have some nice stag! I think I could be talked into a lambsfoot Jack.
My previous barber had a sign on his front door that said something like "No Children Under 12". I think he got tired of kids running around and misbehaving while their parents did nothing to control them!
My current barber gave me a senior discount at first, even though I'm not quite eligible! Guess I look older than I am. I pay full price and tip well.
When I got mine I stared in the mirror for half an hour. I was born with more hair!
When my dad was growing up the schools only went to grade 8 and when he wasn't helping neighbors on their farms he walked to town (about 3 miles) and cut meat at one of the butcher shops in town, that was in the mid 1930's.
My father only went to 6th grade, I think, and worked in a butcher shop when he was young. Probably in the '40s.
Well, we will see how this works out as this is my first stab at a multi-quote thanks to a video I found about this forum software on the World Wide Web. I think I lost one of Jack's posts though, I will go back and look after posting.

You done great with the multi-quote, and you are not an interloper! :cool: :thumbsup:

Vince

My parting shot...
AsxTnuc.jpg
The patina on your lamb is so cool looking, almost like damascus. :cool: :thumbsup:

I know it's Monday, but it's going to be a great day, Guardians!
ik2yD3B.jpg
Thanks for starting us off in grand fashion. :cool: :thumbsup:

A stately Lamb. :cool: :thumbsup:

A beauty, Jack. Hope your day isn't too busy. :)

Good morning Guardians! :D

47393637951_4d431f52dc_b_d.jpg
Good morning, Ron. Lovely picture. :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Ron and morning to all. Have a great week!View attachment 1150236
A beauty as always, Dwight. :):thumbsup:

Fantastic pic of an appealing knife, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Amusing pic of a superb knife, FBC! :thumbsup::cool::cool:;) When I was a kid, our family cars were always station wagons (1960 Rambler and 1965 Dodge, I think). I may not have ridden in one since I started college!

Thanks Gary. I have a real soft spot for cars of the 60's, I bet that Rambler was cool! I have a bit of a thing for wagons too. Here is a pic of my Volvo.
185916504_b66fbfa6ff_o.jpg

Betty was helping around the house yesterday.
48117381087_69bd103a5d_h.jpg

Good Morning Guardians
Yesterday was a long and hot day at the DCI event. My son't corps won the Open Class again, and their World Class corps took second. Their World Class corps has won 18 World titles. If you have never seen a DCI event, it's amazing and loud... It's marching band on steroids!!!

I'll post my usual Lambsfoot picture and I will also add a (rough) clip of the Blue Devils A Corps in case you want to check it out. :)

Blue Devils A Corps...

And just for fun, my son's B Corps performance...

Prester John Prester John "My previous barber had a sign on his front door that said something like "No Children Under 12". I think he got tired of kids running around and misbehaving while their parents did nothing to control them!
My current barber gave me a senior discount at first, even though I'm not quite eligible! Guess I look older than I am. I pay full price and tip well."

I had so many classmates that had lost so much hair and/or it had turned gray at my 5 year class reunion and with my dad having lost most of his hair by 38 my classmates were accusing me of getting hair transplants and/or dying my hair. They did not know that hair characteristics typically are passed down from your mother's father. My mother's father and his two brother had full heads of dark hair on the day they died and the two brothers were in their 90's.

Here in southern Minnesota it is very conservative in politics and the spending money and if you got a $2.00 tip at Christmas it was a pretty big deal in the local culture. But, I had a longtime customer named Larry that was a plumber and to this day do not know if he was so far ahead of me and was setting me up or that he would say something that was like a hangin' curveball ... you just had to swing at it and perhaps he didn't know. The banter was hilarious when Larry came in and his shop was less than a block away, if he wasn't busy he would walk over and chat sometimes 5 minutes and other times two or three hours. One day a stranger passing through town stopped when Larry was there. He (the stranger) was getting a haircut and afterwards he left me a five dollar tip and before leaving he put a twenty dollar bill on the wide front window's sill and said, "Here's a twenty, you guys can split this. I am telling you that you guys should take this show on the road. I have paid more than twenty bucks to get into comedy clubs that aren't nearly as funny as you two guys. Seriously, you guys have a great act!" If he only knew that when Larry showed up we were like gasoline and matches ... explosive humor was bound to happen in our normal conversation at the barber shop. He could have sat down any day Larry was there and it was free.

Looks like I've got some catching-up to do! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Jack, such great knives. Walk n talk is superior! The Fit and finish on these knives have seemed to get better and better with each version!

Thanks Taylor, I'd like to think Wright's have been inspired by my demands for higher quality and traditional designs, but it probably has a much to do with the fact that they know I'll complain relentlessly if they're not done right! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

You know after you say something and then think "was that right? I'm sure my rosewood only has three pins".... After carrying this for 15 odd years I just couldn't remember.:confused: Glad to say I'm not going doolally; it has only got three pins...
MQldfMX.jpg

Sounds cryptic Jack. It's not where Umpalumpahs mix the Hendersons is it? :D
And that door next to Brian's Barbers is the secret entrance??

I'm liking all these barber stories.:thumbsup: My involvement ended when I was 23 with my first unavoidable 0 cut.
Bglf5Gk.jpg

P.S. I'm the one in the shades :D
P.P.S. That's not when I was 23 either:D

I was thinking of a Jack Sunday sausage butty but a Texan hamburger butty will do mighty fine :D:thumbsup:

Your welcome.

Except it's more factual :D

They don't do subliminal advertising there do they. :D Looks delicious!

Sounds like where I live. But with earth tremors. :D

I will sir I will. :thumbsup:

LOL! No, they'd never let the Henderson's recipe out of South Yorkshire David! :D

Boule a zero? ;) I was 17 when I first had to have it down to the bone! :eek: I have a mate who has been shaving his since he was 14 - prior to that he had the hair and hairline of Art Garfunkel apparently! :D :thumbsup:

Fantastic pic my friend, and of course you have a pint in your hand ;) :D :) :thumbsup:

I'm getting more and more excited to see what mine looks like. Maybe tomorrow!

Hope so Rachel :) You too @5K Qs :thumbsup:

Hey David we have the same haircut. :DView attachment 1149881

Aw, great pic Dwight :) My face is starting to hurt from grinning! :D :thumbsup:

The butties have it! How about 'your favorite butty' to keep it international and inclusive. :thumbsup:

Sounds good to me Greg! :D :thumbsup:

So... today was the day for my attempt at Texas-style smoked hot links. :)

Here's the first of two strings to come off of the smoker:

ag75vEjh.jpg

Shortly afterwards, I used my Hartshead Barlow to separate the links. And to cut one open (gotta get that patina going, @tmd_87 ;)):

nyjPwCMh.jpg

It sliced through it like butter. :thumbsup:

I'm quite happy with the texture and level of smoke, but I need to bump up the heat next time. In the mean time, a judicious dose of Austin's Own BBQ Sauce (Border Edition - Medium; my favorite BBQ sauce) gave it some needed kick and the sausage was the main part of an enjoyable lunch.

Have a great rest of your weekend, everyone!

Wow! Well done Greg, those look great :) Your Hartshead Barlow has certainly had the most interesting work schedule so far :) :thumbsup:

Those look amazing!!!
Lookin' absolutely DELICIOUS :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Wonder if r8shell's Well's Fargo wagon might bring some my way? :rolleyes:
The sausage links look delicious.
They look delicious! I'm beginning to think Texas is the capital of fine food. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Gentlemen! It was a fun thing to try. They turned out well enough that there will be a second attempt at some point. In the meantime, I have some leftovers to study. ;)

They look great Greg! As an Apprentice Butcher/Meat cutter when I was 16, sausage making curing and smoking of the Hams and Bacon was where they started me off. :)

Thanks! That's really cool. This is only my second or third time making my own sausage. You can no doubt tell that I still have a lot to learn. I definitely overstuffed the casings. Fortunately only one burst while twisting into links and all held together on the smoker.

ik2yD3B.jpg

Sounds like a good plan to me! :)

Lovely stag on your Hartshead. :thumbsup:

Everyone likes a bacon, egg and chips butty! :)

You two are giving me an idea... :D

Yesterday was a long and hot day at the DCI event. My son't corps won the Open Class again, and their World Class corps took second. Their World Class corps has won 18 World titles. If you have never seen a DCI event, it's amazing and loud... It's marching band on steroids!!!

Congratulations to your son. That's great!

I'm pretty sure I attended one of those events a couple of decades ago. At least it was some sort of drum and bugle corps competition. A world of difference from watching my high school's marching band!

Uhm. Wow!

Wow! Well done Greg, those look great :) Your Hartshead Barlow has certainly had the most interesting work schedule so far :) :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly, Jack. :)

As you know, Lambsfoot knives and Barlow knives like to keep busy. Now, a Lambsfoot and Barlow knife, well, you gotta give it frequent exercise or its liable to get stir crazy. ;) :D

Last edited:
Congratulations to your son. That's great!
Thanks, Greg. :)

I'm pretty sure I attended one of those events a couple of decades ago. At least it was some sort of drum and bugle corps competition. A world of difference from watching my high school's marching band!
They certainly are fun to watch, if you're in to those kinds of things. :cool: :thumbsup:

Thank you HC. I’m old enough to have been to a Stag Party or two.:)

Have enjoyed your stories immensely. “The bravest man you’ll ever meet” stands out.

JohnDF JohnDF Thank you John.
Thank you Harvey! It is nice to know you enjoy reading about some of the interesting people that would show up at the barber shop and brighten my day. I have days when these stories might read as though they have been encrypted by an Enigma machine ... I am learning the value of proofreading and editing.
Here is a link to the bravest man's find a grave entry.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/105831120/charles-quandt

My favorite edition to my carry is this sweet Miller High Life lifter!!! I have had it for a while now. But forgot all about it.
View attachment 1149927

Very cool Taylor :cool: I buy old bottle-opener whenever I can, usually gift them to folks here :thumbsup:

All that previous talk of hair cuts and razors reminded me of my youth when my Dad would cut my hair with an old electric clippers. I swear it pulled out more hair than it cut. :)
Here is a pair of Sheffield lovelies...

View attachment 1149953

Yikes! :eek: :D My granddad cut my hair a couple of times with one of these things when I was a kid, basically a comb with a couple of blunt razor-blades inside! :eek:

That's a great pic my friend, I love the translucent horn on the Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Smashing stag Dwight, there seems to be a real variety on the Barlows :) :thumbsup:

What a dandy shot, Jack! Good way to start a Sunday! Great stag on that one!:cool::thumbsup:

Another great shot, Dwight! You and Jack started the day in fine fashion! Incredible covers!:eek::thumbsup:

Either look great to me! Great looking Helping Horn!:cool::thumbsup:

Nice shot, Ron! More woody goodness!;):thumbsup:

Stagtastic Shot, John!:cool::thumbsup:
Hope your Sunday was a pleasant one! How did your son fair today?

A fine looking fellow, that Cracker Jack!
The police down in my home town, Silver City NM nicknamed my dad Cracker Jack in his younger days because of drag racing all the time, and he usually got caught!:D

Another nice foto, Jack! Such nice stag on 'em!:cool::thumbsup:

Little Joe, Adam and Hoss?:D
Great family foto, John!;):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

At least you're doing it in style! Great file work, very special one you got there, Jack!:):thumbsup:

Man, what a great looking burger!:eek::thumbsup: Great blade ro help manage it! Nice, Dave!:cool:

Nice! Ready for the next whirlwind adventure! Maybe while out Jeeping!:cool::thumbsup:

:eek::eek::eek:
Dwight, you captured the incredible stag and pattern welded blade on that one so nicely! Well done, my friend!:thumbsup:

:eek: What a dandy lineup, Taylor! 4 great beauties!:thumbsup:

Beautiful shot, Preston!:):thumbsup:
It's taken me three days to try to catch up, and some have disappeared after I go back and read it:mad::oops:! But hope to keep up now!

Nice photo, Preston! Growing up, we use to use the old, dead yucca poles, and joust on horseback!:D
We never had problems with yucca plants, but porcupines...that's another story! :confused::D

And no doubt you had a great influence on them, and for that, we are all greatful!!

Indeed!

Great family shot, Dwight! We are on our second ill tempered, but loveable dachshund! :p:thumbsup:

Double Dose of handyness, Taylor!:cool::thumbsup:

Very nice!:thumbsup:

Mmmph! Hard to beat, Dwight!

My parting shot...
AsxTnuc.jpg

Great effort Dennis, and thanks a lot buddy :) Always a treat to see your '19 :) :thumbsup:

ik2yD3B.jpg

:) :thumbsup:

Just one word....Awesome!

Great first post Jim, welcome to The Porch :) :thumbsup:

Nice pic David, where's it taken? :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! :D

47393637951_4d431f52dc_b_d.jpg

It may not have a lot of bark, but I always enjoy seeing the stag on that knife Ron :) :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

That is making me hungry. Do you suppose all those vehicle owners would cringe if they knew we called them "station wagons" in the last century?

Four of a kind wins in Las Vegas and the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread.

After reading the thread about Canadian importation violations and confiscation being held hostage for 25 hours doesn't seem, too, bad. Now, honestly, before PAINT YOUR WAGON who ever thought they would see Lee Marvin in a musical?

My grandmother used to cut my grandfather flattop and she had an electric clippers. Guessing now, they may have been made in the 1930's and they reside here in the family archive, they still work but are so loud I don't know who would have used them or sat to have them nearby! Louder than bagpipes in an enclosed room.

I can remember my mother taking me to the barbers for a crew-cut when I was three HC. It wasn't the first time I'd been, but I can't remember the earlier visits. They had a seat that fitted on top of the standard barber's chairs for kids, and I remember the barber saying to my mother that, if I kept growing at the same rate, I wouldn't need the seat next time. Money must have got tighter though, because I remember my mother cut my hair for a few years after that, she did my dad's too. We were at a wedding one time, and that same barber was there. He used to cut my dad's hair, but hadn't seem him for a bit. He asked my dad, "I hope you don't mind my asking, but who's cutting your hair now?" :D Most of my school friends went to a notorious local Italian barber called Claudio. When their hair started getting a bit long, their mothers would frog-march them to see Claudio, who cut hair with a pair of scissors in each hand. It didn't matter what style they asked for, they got scalped! :D When I was about 8 or 9, I started going to the barber's again, the shop is still there :thumbsup:

Good morning Ron and morning to all. Have a great week!View attachment 1150236

That stag has some great character Dwight, excellent pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank for asking, Dennis. They won the Open Class at each of their first three shows. They even came close to matching the score of one of the World Class bands. They are sitting 16th in the National rankings right now. :cool: :thumbsup:

Well done John :thumbsup:

A beauty, Jack. Hope your day isn't too busy. :)

Thanks John, late afternoon here, and I'm hoping things get quieter ;) Thanks for the compliment my friend :) :thumbsup:

Betty was helping around the house yesterday.
48117381087_69bd103a5d_h.jpg

Good stuff Kevin :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

I'll post my usual Lambsfoot picture and I will also add a (rough) clip of the Blue Devils A Corps in case you want to check it out. :)

Blue Devils A Corps...

And just for fun, my son's B Corps performance...

Congratulations John, thanks for the vids :) Great pic of your Hartshead too :thumbsup:

...They did not know that hair characteristics typically are passed down from your mother's father...

I'm glad that wasn't the case with me. My brother wasn't so lucky! :D :D :thumbsup:

Fabulous Harvey :) :thumbsup:

LOL Dave! I'd give my left arm to have even a fraction of the suave ole' Telly had. :(:cool:
Your much to humble my friend. :D

HC I'm more of pubs and pie guy :p

I'm pretty sure they would scoff at the mention of a station wagon:rolleyes: I also believe at least 70% or more vehicles around here would be SUV's/Station wagons.;)

The good old days, when I started my apprenticeship at 16 I drove dads tractor to town until I had saved enough up for my first car, a 58 VW Beetle.:)

My father only went to 6th grade, I think, and worked in a butcher shop when he was young. Probably in the '40s.
You did what you had to in those days, A- Plus for your Dad Vince.:thumbsup::cool:

Thanks! That's really cool. This is only my second or third time making my own sausage. You can no doubt tell that I still have a lot to learn. I definitely overstuffed the casings. Fortunately only one burst while twisting into links and all held together on the smoker.
In the beginning, I broke quite a few as well, after making 500lbs or so it's like putting socks on a cat. :p

Last edited:
Back