Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

My Hartshead Barlow with rosewood covers arrived this afternoon! I took a couple of quick photos before my camera batteries gave up the ghost, and want to post one tonight before bedtime as an official record of the arrival. You'll notice signs, near the tang and on the protruding spring in this first pic of the pile side, that I haven't even made time to flush the knife yet.
Thanks again to Jack Black for making this happen, and I hope to have "official debut photos" Thursday or Friday.
View attachment 1151720

View attachment 1151721

- GT
Looks great GT, congratulations.

My Hartshead Barlow with rosewood covers arrived this afternoon! I took a couple of quick photos before my camera batteries gave up the ghost, and want to post one tonight before bedtime as an official record of the arrival. You'll notice signs, near the tang and on the protruding spring in this first pic of the pile side, that I haven't even made time to flush the knife yet.
Thanks again to Jack Black for making this happen, and I hope to have "official debut photos" Thursday or Friday.
View attachment 1151720

View attachment 1151721

- GT
Congrats, Gary! Whatcha gonna name it?

Necco candy wafers tend to end up in the love them or hate them category by most (older) people.
I love Necco Wafers.

My house number is 1217, and I saw yesterday that this thread was approaching that page number. So my plan was to make as many posts on that page as I could to kind of make it mine! But I severely underestimated the pace of the thread, and page 1217 has come and gone with zero posts from me! :rolleyes::thumbsdown::mad:
You can't sleep on it around here. :(

Rub-a-Dub-Dub,
Three Lambs in a Tub!!
Great storage idea, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
Thanks, GT. Just seemed natural.

Thanks, John; great job with the Y, and I think OG proposed a good X example. :):thumbsup::cool:
Thanks, GT. Somebody needs to do the Zs now.

View attachment 1151720

View attachment 1151721

- GT
Fantastic! Glad yours came in, it's beautiful. Like others, we are waiting for the name???

My Waynorth Cutlery #93 Lambsfoot in ebony came in today! I am completely and utterly smitten! I was really expecting a lot out of this knife, which can be a recipe for disaster, but I am still blown away by it. No gaps, excellent centering, perfect grind, great job on the pins, beautiful covers, flawless bolsters... It goes on. My specimen at least (in my opinion) is an incredible example of just how good a production (albeit smaller production) knife can be. I love it. As far as pinchability goes... I just had surgery on my left shoulder two weeks ago and I am able to pinch open it without too much difficulty.

I'm still kicking this darn infection (and am supposed to be taking it easy) and the weather wasn't great today... So some indoor shots that I shared in the GEC thread will have to do for today. I'll get some better ones just as soon as I am able. I thought the desert ironwood background was at least fitting for what's in the works... ;)

8f10XVb.jpg

zTLgUEK.jpg

Ybrkqvn.jpg

Mvz0owz.jpg

NNe7WEu.jpg

Fixall Fixall - Great story on retrieving your UPS package. :D I hope you heal up quickly from the shoulder surgery. Good luck on your knives arriving soon.

I'm glad it ended up well, but I would have rather not had the story to tell. :D

Thanks, I'm feeling MUCH better today!

Wow. That's quite a day, alright. Glad everything worked out with the package and I hope you're back to 100% health soon.

As am I! Had I not been able to retrieve it, I doubt I would have ever heard the end of it from my wife because I'm always the one calling out "Did you check the address?", "Did you apply the promo code?", etc, lol.

And thank you! I just got the stitches out today and am feeling much better. :)

Fixall Fixall Here’s to your quick recovery.

Thank you very much!

For a starter go with an IPA from either Sierra Nevada, Laugunitas or Stone. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

You know... I bartended/waited tables for a decade and have tried a LOT of IPAs and I've still yet to find one that I like. I gotta say, the three you suggest are about as close to bearable as they get for me though... So props there, lol. I guess I'm just too much off a Porter and Stout fan. It's been hard to move away from those. I particularly like the Deschutes Brewery out of Bend, Oregon for an excellent, reasonably priced beer (Porter or Stout). Then again, I'm one of those weird people who takes their Don Julio Reposado and Tecate both with lemon rather than lime so I'm apparently an odd one.

Last edited:
My Waynorth Cutlery #93 Lambsfoot in ebony came in today! I am completely and utterly smitten! I as really expecting a lot out of this knife, which can be a recipe for disaster, but I am still blown away by it. No gaps, excellent centering, perfect grind, great job on the pins, beautiful covers, flawless bolsters... It goes on. My specimen at least (in my opinion) is an incredible example of just how good a production (albeit smaller production) knife can be. I love it. As far as pinchability goes... I just had surgery on my left shoulder two weeks ago and I am able to pinch open it without too much difficulty.

I'm still kicking this darn infection (and am supposed to be taking it easy) and the weather wasn't great today... So some indoor shots that I posted in the GEC thread will have to do today. I'll get some better ones just as soon as I am able. I thought the desert ironwood background was at least fitting for what's in the works...
Outstanding ebony lambsfoot! This is some of the most beautiful richly black ebony I've seen. Gorgeous sample you have there. Congrats. I had rotator cuff surgery 5 months ago today. I feel your pain. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Outstanding ebony lambsfoot! This is some of the most beautiful richly black ebony I've seen. Gorgeous sample you have there. Congrats. I had rotator cuff surgery 5 months ago today. I feel your pain. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Thank you! I was speechless for a couple minutes when I unwrapped it. African Blackwood/Ebony and Desert Ironwood are my all time favorite scale material and GEC really got a hold of some outstanding material for these.

Hang in there buddy! I had a Bicep Tenodesis (relocating the upper head of the bicep) with Labrum repair last year on the same shoulder and this year it's a Distal Clavicle Resection (cut off a centimeter of collarbone). The Bicep Tenodesis was quite a bit worse than the Clavicle Resection (not counting the infection)... But I hear neither hold a candle to Rotator Cuff surgery. :( Sorry you're going through that.

Last edited:
At football today. It's the last week before a two week mandated "dead period" where no football activities can take place. Out on the field turf, it was breezy and cool for late June which was NICE. Barlow pictured on the turf wayyy better then the Astros turf I played on!
mfvFqum.jpg

Giant wasp nest I found close to the weight room. About the size of a football. I so wanted to go get some wasp spray!
L6aMec5.jpg

Guardians, my Hartshead Barlow arrived in today mail:thumbsup: and after much running back and forth my computer is back from the shop, supposedly exorcised of all demons and gremlins:rolleyes: Time will tell but so far, so good. Only have a gazillion pages to try and catch up on!
Here it is as it came so lovingly packaged from Jack. More photos after I get her flushed and oiled...
IMG_1201.JPG
Its a beauty! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, I am a bright Chartreuse green with envy seeing all these wonderful Hartshead Barlow models from everyone in such beautiful settings, thanks all!!!
Mine is on the way via a rocket ship from England. :)
Also nice to see that old family Razor, donn.
Enclosed is my trusty stag Wright Lambfoot next to my favorite candies which are no longer made but still available with a little hunting.
These Necco candy wafers tend to end up in the love them or hate them category by most (older) people. :)
View attachment 1151686
Wonderful knife and cool photo :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I used to love Necco wafers as a kid but, much like Spaghettios and Hostess products, I kinda lost the taste for them over time :)

Hey GT. We use to say “Let’s go to the beach and watch the submarine race. I don’t remember that working too well...but sometimes...:) Fine looking Lam Jack.

@pjsjr Congratulations Preston. Hope you thought the wait was worth it, because it’s gorgeous. Happy for you.

dc50 dc50 Dave, I just love your style.

Fodderwing Fodderwing Cool Image, Dwight.

@waynorth These four are the best things out of 2019. Kudos to you and Jack Black Jack Black

Wanted to wait for sunset to shoot this one. Again, Thank you Barry.
EAAE268F-920C-4541-8562-00038E53E43D_zpstc9wnmsn.jpeg
Looks beautiful in the fading light...lovely example :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1151720
View attachment 1151721
- GT
It is glorious :) Here is some math for you GT...

5K Qs x 1 Rosewood Hartshead = awesome :)

My Waynorth Cutlery #93 Lambsfoot in ebony came in today! I am completely and utterly smitten! I was really expecting a lot out of this knife, which can be a recipe for disaster, but I am still blown away by it. No gaps, excellent centering, perfect grind, great job on the pins, beautiful covers, flawless bolsters... It goes on. My specimen at least (in my opinion) is an incredible example of just how good a production (albeit smaller production) knife can be. I love it. As far as pinchability goes... I just had surgery on my left shoulder two weeks ago and I am able to pinch open it without too much difficulty.

I'm still kicking this darn infection (and am supposed to be taking it easy) and the weather wasn't great today... So some indoor shots that I posted in the GEC thread will have to do today. I'll get some better ones just as soon as I am able. I thought the desert ironwood background was at least fitting for what's in the works... ;)

8f10XVb.jpg

zTLgUEK.jpg

Ybrkqvn.jpg

Mvz0owz.jpg

NNe7WEu.jpg

I'm glad it ended up well, but I would have rather not had the story to tell. :D

Thanks, I'm feeling MUCH better today!

As am I! Had I not been able to retrieve it, I doubt I would have ever heard the end of it from my wife because I'm always the one calling out "Did you check the address?", "Did you apply the promo code?", etc, lol.

And thank you! I just got the stitches out today and am feeling much better. :)

Thank you very much!

You know... I bartended/waited tables for a decade and have tried a LOT of IPAs and I've still yet to find one that I like. I gotta say, the three you suggest are about as close to bearable as they get for me though... So props there, lol. I guess I'm just too much off a Porter and Stout fan. It's been hard to move away from those. I particularly like the Deschutes Brewery out of Bend, Oregon for an excellent, reasonably priced beer (Porter or Stout). Then again, I'm one of those weird people who takes their Don Julio Reposado and Tecate both with lemon rather than lime so I'm apparently an odd one.
The ebony version is a timeless classic right out of the tube...enjoy!

Kevin, I've had some jobs where I gave two weeks' notice, and was okay with it, but I've had others where I walked out before my shift ended and felt great! Wish you the best, man!
Thanks , Vince. I have walked out on a few myself. I like my boss and most of the people I worked with so I didn't want to put them in a tight spot. I did have to mess with them a little though, the day before my last day I called in saying I was sick ( I was on my way to work ) asking my boss if she could check to see if I had enough sick time to be sick tomorrow too. When I walked in a couple minutes later she gave me that " You are not funny" look but she did laugh about it later. :D

Appropriate timing Kevin, congratulations on your last day at that place :thumbsup: I have had jobs where they asked for a week's notice, salaried jobs where it is a month, and other jobs where I gave no notice at all. So what now Kevin, good luck with everything my friend? Great pic :) :thumbsup:
Morning Guardians, it's raining here again :rolleyes: Hope everyone is having a good week. Some stag for me today :) :thumbsup:

kWyvJOd.jpg
Ya know Jack, I haven't really made up my mind yet. I have a few options, all in the mechanics field. that more my "thing".
That Hartshead is looking dapper. Is that a old honing steel that you're using as a prop?

Once upon a time in America, giving two weeks notice, on both sides, was the civilized expected thing to do. Today, we live in a “hire at will” work ethic. You did what you had to do and that’s a good thing.

Good Afternoon Guardians. Thank you kindly Barry. Signed, Grateful.
0e7f90a9-1e98-4c51-936a-3afad6ba1ceb-jpeg.1151514

I say we all STRIKE! ;):D
Here in California, employers do not even need a reason to fire you. Workers rights are definitely getting thin.
That Waynorth Lamb is a thing of beauty. :thumbsup:
Also, nicely photographed, as always.
Thanks, FBC. :) Congrats on the new rosewood Hartshead, and on the final day of the old job! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Best wishes for the next one.

Lam Jack all week for me:
gl-mark-halfopen-leaves-jpg.1151689
Thank you GT, I'm lucky to have such good friends here on the Porch.
I can see why Lam Jack is your choice for the week.
Fantastic photo, your pics have been looking really good lately. :thumbsup:

48135698188_8a105be08e_h.jpg

Thanks , Vince. I have walked out on a few myself. I like my boss and most of the people I worked with so I didn't want to put them in a tight spot. I did have to mess with them a little though, the day before my last day I called in saying I was sick ( I was on my way to work ) asking my boss if she could check to see if I had enough sick time to be sick tomorrow too. When I walked in a couple minutes later she gave me that " You are not funny" look but she did laugh about it later. :D

Ya know Jack, I haven't really made up my mind yet. I have a few options, all in the mechanics field. that more my "thing".
That Hartshead is looking dapper. Is that a old honing steel that you're using as a prop?

I say we all STRIKE! ;):D
Here in California, employers do not even need a reason to fire you. Workers rights are definitely getting thin.
That Waynorth Lamb is a thing of beauty. :thumbsup:
Also, nicely photographed, as always.

Thank you GT, I'm lucky to have such good friends here on the Porch.
I can see why Lam Jack is your choice for the week.
Fantastic photo, your pics have been looking really good lately. :thumbsup:

48135698188_8a105be08e_h.jpg
Thank you kindly. Your Sambar is looking good.

Work wise, the most satisfying phrase I ever uttered, was at my last place of employment, a part time job. At the last straw, I said to my manager, I quit, effective immediately. It felt great. I never regretted the decision.

Great pics, guys :cool:
Thanks, OG your a good man :thumbsup::)

Dave, I usually don't like taking orders from people, but in the case of your commands here, I'll make an exception! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Gary your such a Rebel! ;):p

dc50 dc50 Dave, I just love your style.
Thank you, Harvey, my style is more like refried beans yours is caviar.:thumbsup::D

My Hartshead Barlow with rosewood covers arrived this afternoon!
Good for you my friend, I'm sure it will serve you well. :thumbsup::cool:

At football today. It's the last week before a two week mandated "dead period" where no football activities can take place. Out on the field turf, it was breezy and cool for late June which was NICE. Barlow pictured on the turf wayyy better then the Astros turf I played on!
mfvFqum.jpg

Giant wasp nest I found close to the weight room. About the size of a football. I so wanted to go get some wasp spray!
L6aMec5.jpg

Oh man... I HATED playing on AstroTurf! Not only did you have to deal with turf burn and how hard the surface is... But it also had little bits of black, ground-up rubber (to act as a cushion?) that would bounce up into your eyes anytime you were tackled/tackled someone. It looks like AstroTurf has come a long ways though.

Kill it with fire! I love your everyday honey bee, but wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets can get lost along with the mosquitoes!

Last edited:
Back