1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you Dennis. :)

Cool pic!

Very nice Dave.

Gorgeous pair Ron.

I like it David. Are the scales gumfuddy?

Always enjoy your pub pics and related narrative David. :cool:

IMG_9394.jpeg

2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I enjoyed your pics of the stag HHB with a variety of old tools, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Jack, I haven't used an online Arabic to English translator this much since at least 10 years ago when I was trying to figure out the content of a table made by the 12th century Baghdad mathematician Al-Samawal! :eek::thumbsup:;)

Hearty congratulations, Jack, on those two amazing Waynorth Cutlery lambsfoots! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Lambsfoot knives crossing the Atlantic in both directions this month! That jigged bone version has really got a hold on me! :eek::thumbsup::rolleyes:

Thanks for your assistance and advice in getting both the Henderson's and the lambsfoot from York, Jack. :)

The onion tip was interesting, but I'm intrigued by the "hidden" tip about baseball gloves! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

:D:D David, I'm sure you know I made up the business about Lancastrians bearing gifts.
    Congrats on picking up, in person, your stag Hartshead lambsfoot Barlow; looks like the handle occupies at least 3 dimensions - desirable feature for stag covers! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Dwight & John, all 3 of us must be great minds with common thoughts, since we all saw the pun potential in that Henderson's and lambsfoot shot. :):thumbsup::cool:
    Dwight, that's a splendid photo of your "twin" stag HHBs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Reality is all relative, FBC. ;) I'm just saying the Blues Bros are not as real as a "real lamb foot knife".:rolleyes: Thanks for noticing the Union Jack grain; your ironwood has even grander grain, although I almost didn't see the "W"! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Speaking of grand grain, your ironwood lambsfoot is doubly astounding, @Fixall! The parallel grain on the mark side is very distinguished, and the two-tone parabolas on the pile side say, "Party Time!" ;):thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I hope you can kick that infection very soon.

W:eek:W, what a sensational pair of knives, Russell!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Something to cherish and carry with pride for all of you who had the foresight and good fortune to acquire them! :)

Here's a recent pic of Union Jack:
    UJ.pile.Vopen.garden post.jpg

- GT

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    mitch4ging, cigarrodog and Fodderwing like this.
  4. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks GT. Great pic of Union Jack. Rich and crisp.

Thanks John. Have a safe trip today!

5. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Dwight.

dc50, cigarrodog and Fodderwing like this.
  6. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Gettin' ready for work in the yard today. Yee-ha!
    IMG_1222.JPG

7. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    Is it a novel or instruction manual?

8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey, nice image of that old beauty :) :thumbsup:

G'day folks :) Hope everyone is having a great weekend, it's going to take me a while to get caught up ;) :thumbsup:

I was just intending to carry this one today...

[​IMG]

But ended up pocketing Charlie Lamb too :D ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

9. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ooh! You're gonna forge a fixed blade lambsfoot? :cool::thumbsup: I want to see that!
    Ha! :D
    If only he'd had a good lambsfoot with him. I'll try to avoid that.
    That's a valid choice. :thumbsup: The etching on these Hartsheads feels deeper than the electro etched ones on the earlier Guardians knives. I'm hoping they will still show through patina, but we'll have to wait and see. :)

donn, Cambertree, mitch4ging and 4 others like this.
  10. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Nice to see the King of the Barlows. :cool: :thumbsup:

11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Welcome to the Guardians Chuck, what a nice gift :) :thumbsup:

You may have Bill :) Might be some index entries on this topic :thumbsup:

Wright's do left-handed versions, quite unusual these days :thumbsup:

That is certainly the case with my Wright's two-blade John, the pull on the pen (more like a spear) is just silly. I have other two-blades where the pull is reasonable though. I always thought this would be my ideal knife, but I find the pen blade totally unnecessary with a Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more Dylan, well said :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Cool pic John :cool: I took this one for you earlier ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

They can be sweetened up Rachel, but I think the pen is probably a more useful addition to a Big 'Un, like this William Rodgers Charlie gifted me some years back :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

That's good you can pinch open all your Lambsfoot knives :) I do think a lot of it is just down to practice, I doubt I have particularly strong fingers (I haven't climbed for 20 years now or done a manual job for longer), but I've been pinching open knife blades since I was a kid, and have no problem pinching open my Lambsfoot blades. It's even easier with the candle-end models, such as the Hartshead Barlow :thumbsup:

The Lambsfoot Work-out! You heard it here first! :D :thumbsup:

Nice Vince :) :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Thank you for relating that great story here Paul, your lucky ebony '18 doesn't look to have fared baddly, but I'm glad you have it back again :) :thumbsup:

I just knew we were related Paul, that sounds just like MY brother! :eek: :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Great pics Paul :) :thumbsup:

Great stuff :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, glad I didn't take any notice of our doom-laden weather forecast :rolleyes: Turned out to be a lovely sunny day :thumbsup:

Fantastic pic Dylan :) :thumbsup:

You too Kevin! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Tell me about it mate, I'm struggling myself! :D Thanks for the kind words :) :thumbsup:

I had a link to a better site Dennis, but it is no longer there unfortunately. It was an excellent resource :thumbsup: Thank you very much my friend :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, we all need a moral compass ;) That's perfect Dennis, cool pic :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Dave :) :thumbsup:

pjsjr, Cambertree, TFBraden and 7 others like this.
  13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Dennis, thanks for the compliment! I really like your "ready" tin. :thumbsup:

14. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Eggs-stir-men-ate
    Such a fantastic picture, Jack. Thank you so much for taking/posting it, I made it my new desktop wallpaper. :cool: :thumbsup:

15. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    Nice file work on the Hartshead. Was that done at the factory? Looks like the work done on their Premier line.

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    The best kind of day! :D Stunning pic Ron :) :thumbsup:

Glad you're enjoying your Hartshead Barlow David, hopefully the etch is deep enough to last :) Yeah, I don't come across pocket compasses too often, but snap them up when I do ;)

Excellent pics David :) That secondary blade is overly chunky in my opinion, I think Wright's could do a better job. Still a nice-looking knife, but the extra weight and bulk is noticeable isn't it? I have one with steel liners, great knife, but it has some heft! :eek: Hope you're feeling better soon my friend :) :thumbsup:

Beautiful photo Alan :) :thumbsup:

That pattern is exclusive to the Guardians, Wright's own knives have standard bolsters :thumbsup:

That knife has been through it all! :eek: ;)

Great start to the day :) :thumbsup:

Yikes, even I'M starting to dread the Bay Area! :eek: :confused: :D Hope the trip is OK John :thumbsup:

Safe travels :thumbsup:

Enjoy your fishing John :) :thumbsup:

pjsjr, Cambertree, TFBraden and 7 others like this.
  17. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    You should probably still clean out the joint. I've yet to meet the factory produced slipjoint that wasn't improved with a good cleaning. Mine had excellent walk and talk as well, but there was still a fair amount of gunk in the joint.

[​IMG]

Hairy Clipper, donn, pjsjr and 10 others like this.
  18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Striking pic Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Gary :) I've never even looked at an Arabic dictionary, and imagine the translation service is a little weird. I spoke Arabic fluently when I was young, but that was a very long time ago, and now it's beyond broken! o_O :rolleyes: It was a pleasure to be able to assist a little GT, I hope you can come over to Yorkshire yourself sometime :) Great to see Union Jack with a little patina my friend :) :thumbsup:

That's the boy for the job Bill :) :thumbsup:

History! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you John, I'm flattered :) I got some funny looks taking it! :D :thumbsup:

The cutler who made the Hartshead Barlows made two knives like that, one for me and one for himself :) :thumbsup:

pjsjr, Fodderwing, Cambertree and 8 others like this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Good tip Christian :thumbsup: I must confess to being rather lax in this regard, sometimes I only notice the gunk on a half-open spring when I am taking a photo of a new knife :rolleyes:

20. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    It's definitely gotten worse in the past few years Jack, but it's no London. :confused:

mitch4ging and cigarrodog like this.