1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks, Jack :thumbsup::)

cigarrodog likes this.
  2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm sure there are others with different opinions Dave, sometimes you need diamonds because of the steel, or because you're re-profiling the angle of the edge, but particularly with pocket knives, I find the 'grittiness' of diamonds slightly irritating. I've been using ceramics ever since Sal G sent me a couple of the flat Spyderco ceramic stones in the early 90's, and I've been experimenting with strops lately, but I'm a run-of-the-mill sharpener compared to our experts here :thumbsup:

3. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
  4. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    That's what I've been using a medium and fine Sal G when I was in the meat cutting industry I was one of the few that actually used an oil stone most of the newer young boys used a power sharpener. My knives would last 3 times as long and were much sharper.

5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I lost the medium stone some years ago unfortunately, but forked out for a Sharpmaker, which was a good investment I think (I no longer have a good oilstone, but I'll pick one up when I find one). Depending on how I'm feeling, I sometimes use the stones flat. I also sometimes use them a bit like a steel (I mostly steel my kitchen knives). I just got one of the wee Fallkniven CC4 ceramic pocket stones, though I have to admit it's rare I need to re-sharpen a knife 'in the field' these days :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

6. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks guys , Those parts in the background are bicycle frame dropouts, the bit that your rear wheel attaches to, the long bit is where the derailleur ( the thing that changes the gears ) attaches.

Thanks, Jack. I will let you know when I find one. ;) :D

Thanks, Rachel. Your HHB is looking well loved. :thumbsup:

A toast to a quick recovery, Dennis!
    Here is that fixed Lambsfoot that I have started, it still has a good ways to go. It is 1/4" 1084, I am thinking of trying to do integral bolsters on it.
    @Cambertree
    [​IMG]

Haha, thanks
    No hammering today, I over did it a little last night. I think I need a big breakfast and a bloody mary.

Thanks for reminding me to get started on my tin!
    "Stake".... "on the lamb" ...... You are crackin' me up today.

Cough, cough...That's a "M"... ;):D
    It is looking like UJ is seeing it's fair share of work. :thumbsup:

I'm off to eat some breakfast and try to get goin' .....yeah, I know it is almost noon. :rolleyes::D
    [​IMG]

7. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I use an Arkansas stone and it works fine.

8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Great little Sci-Fi robot. :cool: :thumbsup:

9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Interesting project Kevin :) I hope you've managed to shake off the cobwebs my friend ;) I love that pic! :D :thumbsup:

10. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    A stored special, it's time for this Lambsfoot to go for a ride!! Too lonesome as a "Safe Queen"!!!! Off we go!! AC 1.jpg AC 2.jpg

donn, TFBraden, Fodderwing and 23 others like this.
  11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice to see that one Charlie :) Great pics my friend :thumbsup:

12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    BD getting a bark backscratch!

[​IMG]

13. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    You make a good point Jack. These double-sided/combination ceramic stones make excellent sharpeners for pocket knives,

[​IMG]

14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you Ed, when I received my original Spyderco ceramic stones, they hadn't thought of sticking them together yet. Sadly, I lost the medium one after about a dozen years of use, the fine one is still going strong after 27 years :) :thumbsup:

15. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    Hope everyone's having a good weekend!
    [​IMG]

16. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
  17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Looks interesting, Jack; considering a career change?? ;):thumbsup::cool:

Enjoyable ebony. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phenomenal pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Mark. :) The Henderson's is OK, but I seem to want a little more "kick" to my seasonings in my old age. :rolleyes:
    Quality shot of your lambsfoot quartet! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: If you ever have the time and inclination, I'd like to see a compare/contrast of the 2 ebony knives on the ends of your display. ;)

Another praiseworthy pic from your urban forest, Matt! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Legend of the Fall, Dwight! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: I admire your and Jiki's fruit/vegetable whittling!

John and Vince, it's like you two had a stag HHB mind meld! ;):cool::cool:

Exquisite ebony, Ron! :eek::cool::cool:

Gonna have to ask my doctor about blood pressure meds to use when I look at this thread! :rolleyes: Gorgeous photo of an obsession-inducing knife, Glenn! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Breathtaking black stag, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Sensational, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dwight, your AC is Almost Camouflaged in that pic! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

Superb photo of an unforgettable knife, FBC! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Such an eye-catching photo, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: With the wear on the blade stamp, you could convince someone that you have one of the extremely rare "REAL LAMP BOOT" knives. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the lambsfoot, sir! :):cool::thumbsup: Horn handle?

What kind of time travel or holographic trickery are you pulling here, John?!? :cool::cool::thumbsup:;)

My Dutch immigrant grandfather tried to convince me this could be done as we brought in a newborn calf from the pasture when I was about 8 or 10. :rolleyes: I had no idea it was actually an ancient Greek legend about an athlete (who apparently knew Pythagoras)!

Fascinating story and splendid ebony lambsfoot, Paul; congrats on its return after all this time! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Magnificent knife, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Yet another irresistible photo of this stunning lambsfoot!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Terrific shot, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for your impressive commentaries! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

Another shot of Union Jack on vacation last summer:
    UJ.dock.rope.81718.jpg

- GT

18. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Thank you, Sir. A rather spiffy looking, Union Jack.

@waynorth That’s a good looking AC, Charlie.

TFBraden, mitch4ging and dc50 like this.
  19. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    After 5 hours in the car, a nice lunch with the folks, yardwork complete, think it's time for a beverage ...

[​IMG]

20. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    Chores done for today, time to relax with some ebony.

[​IMG]