Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks, Jack :thumbsup::)

I'm sure there are others with different opinions Dave, sometimes you need diamonds because of the steel, or because you're re-profiling the angle of the edge, but particularly with pocket knives, I find the 'grittiness' of diamonds slightly irritating. I've been using ceramics ever since Sal G sent me a couple of the flat Spyderco ceramic stones in the early 90's, and I've been experimenting with strops lately, but I'm a run-of-the-mill sharpener compared to our experts here :thumbsup:

UVPZXSq.jpg

I've been using ceramics ever since Sal G sent me a couple of the flat Spyderco ceramic stones
That's what I've been using a medium and fine Sal G when I was in the meat cutting industry I was one of the few that actually used an oil stone most of the newer young boys used a power sharpener. My knives would last 3 times as long and were much sharper.

Thats what I've been using a medium and fine when I was in the meat cutting industry I was one of the few that actually used an oil stone most of the newer young boys used a power sharpener. My knives would last 3 times as long and were much sharper.

I lost the medium stone some years ago unfortunately, but forked out for a Sharpmaker, which was a good investment I think (I no longer have a good oilstone, but I'll pick one up when I find one). Depending on how I'm feeling, I sometimes use the stones flat. I also sometimes use them a bit like a steel (I mostly steel my kitchen knives). I just got one of the wee Fallkniven CC4 ceramic pocket stones, though I have to admit it's rare I need to re-sharpen a knife 'in the field' these days :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

RcN4Bku.jpg

Sometimes I feel like we are brothers from other mothers:D:thumbsup: Wonderful photo, interesting shapes...what are they?

A great shot of your ironwood there. :thumbsup: They look a bit like partially machined revolver hammers.
Thanks guys , Those parts in the background are bicycle frame dropouts, the bit that your rear wheel attaches to, the long bit is where the derailleur ( the thing that changes the gears ) attaches.

Wouldn't it just Kevin?! :cool: Thanks my friend, that's a nice pic of your lovely WCLF :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. I will let you know when I find one. ;) :D

Thanks, that looks interesting. I'll check it out. Great Lambfoot picture. :thumbsup:

jDgpInx.jpg

I think I see a shadow of patina on the bolster. :)
Thanks, Rachel. Your HHB is looking well loved. :thumbsup:

That's awsome, I look forwad to your Lambsfoot!
I'll be making mine out of 52100 as soon as I get to feeling better!:cool::thumbsup:
A toast to a quick recovery, Dennis!
Here is that fixed Lambsfoot that I have started, it still has a good ways to go. It is 1/4" 1084, I am thinking of trying to do integral bolsters on it.
@Cambertree
48262240631_240d41d9dd_h.jpg

Great photo, a real hoot!!:cool::thumbsup: Lovely!
Haha, thanks
Awsome, FBC!! Hope you can get some playing or hammerin in!:cool::thumbsup:
No hammering today, I over did it a little last night. I think I need a big breakfast and a bloody mary.

Mine today.
Repurposing Jack's tin, I call it my "Jack in the box", for when Life and Lamb are at stake! Or if you're on the Lamb! :Do_O:rolleyes:
WQNUnnW.jpg
Thanks for reminding me to get started on my tin!
"Stake".... "on the lamb" ...... You are crackin' me up today.

Reality is all relative, FBC. ;) I'm just saying the Blues Bros are not as real as a "real lamb foot knife".:rolleyes: Thanks for noticing the Union Jack grain; your ironwood has even grander grain, although I almost didn't see the "W"! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Here's a recent pic of Union Jack:
uj-pile-vopen-garden-post-jpg.1160622

Cough, cough...That's a "M"... ;):D
It is looking like UJ is seeing it's fair share of work. :thumbsup:

I'm off to eat some breakfast and try to get goin' .....yeah, I know it is almost noon. :rolleyes::D
48268975926_053568ef99_b.jpg

Here is that fixed Lambsfoot that I have started, it still has a good ways to go. It is 1/4" 1084, I am thinking of trying to do integral bolsters on it.
@Cambertree
48262240631_240d41d9dd_h.jpg

Haha, thanks
No hammering today, I over did it a little last night. I think I need a big breakfast and a bloody mary.

Thanks for reminding me to get started on my tin!
"Stake".... "on the lamb" ...... You are crackin' me up today.

Cough, cough...That's a "M"... ;):D
It is looking like UJ is seeing it's fair share of work. :thumbsup:

I'm off to eat some breakfast and try to get goin' .....yeah, I know it is almost noon. :rolleyes::D
48268975926_053568ef99_b.jpg

Interesting project Kevin :) I hope you've managed to shake off the cobwebs my friend ;) I love that pic! :D :thumbsup:

I'm sure there are others with different opinions Dave, sometimes you need diamonds because of the steel, or because you're re-profiling the angle of the edge, but particularly with pocket knives, I find the 'grittiness' of diamonds slightly irritating. I've been using ceramics ever since Sal G sent me a couple of the flat Spyderco ceramic stones in the early 90's, and I've been experimenting with strops lately, but I'm a run-of-the-mill sharpener compared to our experts here :thumbsup:

You make a good point Jack. These double-sided/combination ceramic stones make excellent sharpeners for pocket knives,

3vBMOcp.jpg

You make a good point Jack. These double-sided/combination ceramic stones make excellent sharpeners for pocket knives,

3vBMOcp.jpg

Thank you Ed, when I received my original Spyderco ceramic stones, they hadn't thought of sticking them together yet. Sadly, I lost the medium one after about a dozen years of use, the fine one is still going strong after 27 years :) :thumbsup:

Just about to start reading a new book...

aWhyilx.jpg

Compass is by F. Barker & Son, pre-1875.
Looks interesting, Jack; considering a career change?? ;):thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Gary, I'm loving my Ebony!:):thumbsup:
Enjoyable ebony. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phenomenal pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Union Jack looks very stately.:cool: How do you like the Hendersons?
eWUAuac.jpg
Thanks, Mark. :) The Henderson's is OK, but I seem to want a little more "kick" to my seasonings in my old age. :rolleyes:
Quality shot of your lambsfoot quartet! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: If you ever have the time and inclination, I'd like to see a compare/contrast of the 2 ebony knives on the ends of your display. ;)

Good morning guardians! I gave this one a good rub down last night to take off some of the excess dye that was coloring my fingers. Happy to report it looks pretty good by the morning light!
4HRJAoQ.jpg
Another praiseworthy pic from your urban forest, Matt! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Morning (afternoon) AllView attachment 1159943
Legend of the Fall, Dwight! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Happy Friday Guardians! I've got a lot of catching up on this thread to do over the weekend.

In the mean time, I wish you all a great weekend with a lambsfoot in your pocket and an opportunity or two to put it to good use. :)

InFgPLuh.jpg

(Playing with my food inspired by @Jiki's recent food carving post.)
:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: I admire your and Jiki's fruit/vegetable whittling!

Good Morning Guardians
Good morning, Guardians!
yBXjzfc.jpg

It's Friday!
John and Vince, it's like you two had a stag HHB mind meld! ;):cool::cool:

... Jack and Charlie, you have my deepest appreciation gentlemen! :D

48265039671_647e80c0a4_b_d.jpg
Exquisite ebony, Ron! :eek::cool::cool:

My newly acquired Waynorth Lambfoot!

View attachment 1160031
Gonna have to ask my doctor about blood pressure meds to use when I look at this thread! :rolleyes: Gorgeous photo of an obsession-inducing knife, Glenn! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

This is my pocket today. Happy Friday Guardians!
4FxYoCa.jpg
Breathtaking black stag, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I took my new arrival for a drink in a couple of neighbourhood bars (one of which has a roof terrace) :) :thumbsup:
mw5Tffn.jpg

Sensational, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dwight, your AC is Almost Camouflaged in that pic! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

Have a great weekend y'all!
48261463821_19e105ad52_h.jpg
Superb photo of an unforgettable knife, FBC! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

That compass is cool too, Jack. Nice Waynorth image.

59F1144F-D42D-44BC-AC29-8D7C6270FD77_zps9vjytxfz.jpeg
Such an eye-catching photo, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: With the wear on the blade stamp, you could convince someone that you have one of the extremely rare "REAL LAMP BOOT" knives. :rolleyes:

Today I received my 1st Lambsfoot (I think) from a forum member. It’s a A Wright & Son and I’m quite happy with it. I look forward to using and carrying it. I have been following this thread and it has peaked my interest in this knife style. I can see why so many are also fans.
View attachment 1160298
Congrats on the lambsfoot, sir! :):cool::thumbsup: Horn handle?

Good Evening Guardians
What kind of time travel or holographic trickery are you pulling here, John?!? :cool::cool::thumbsup:;)

Could be...
Like the story about the fellow who could lift a full grown bull. He started lifting it every day from the time it was a newborn calf. :D
My Dutch immigrant grandfather tried to convince me this could be done as we brought in a newborn calf from the pasture when I was about 8 or 10. :rolleyes: I had no idea it was actually an ancient Greek legend about an athlete (who apparently knew Pythagoras)!

Here's a knife with a history. ...
My ebony Gaurdian Lambfoot:thumbsup: I've named a knife before, not many but some, so thought either "Caddy" or "Lucky" seemed appropriate;)
PnYaD3.jpg
Fascinating story and splendid ebony lambsfoot, Paul; congrats on its return after all this time! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

The perfect walk and talk out of the tube ever! No oil flush on either of my knives was needed! Posing with my new wallet.
View attachment 1160460
Magnificent knife, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Happy Friday, folks. The weekend awaits!

VWvyT3D.jpg
Yet another irresistible photo of this stunning lambsfoot!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Mine today.
Repurposing Jack's tin, I call it my "Jack in the box", for when Life and Lamb are at stake! Or if you're on the Lamb! :Do_O:rolleyes:
WQNUnnW.jpg
Terrific shot, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for your impressive commentaries! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

Another shot of Union Jack on vacation last summer:
UJ.dock.rope.81718.jpg

- GT

Looks interesting, Jack; considering a career change?? ;):thumbsup::cool:

Enjoyable ebony. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phenomenal pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Mark. :) The Henderson's is OK, but I seem to want a little more "kick" to my seasonings in my old age. :rolleyes:
Quality shot of your lambsfoot quartet! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: If you ever have the time and inclination, I'd like to see a compare/contrast of the 2 ebony knives on the ends of your display. ;)

Another praiseworthy pic from your urban forest, Matt! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Legend of the Fall, Dwight! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: I admire your and Jiki's fruit/vegetable whittling!

John and Vince, it's like you two had a stag HHB mind meld! ;):cool::cool:

Exquisite ebony, Ron! :eek::cool::cool:

Gonna have to ask my doctor about blood pressure meds to use when I look at this thread! :rolleyes: Gorgeous photo of an obsession-inducing knife, Glenn! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Breathtaking black stag, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Sensational, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dwight, your AC is Almost Camouflaged in that pic! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

Superb photo of an unforgettable knife, FBC! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Such an eye-catching photo, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: With the wear on the blade stamp, you could convince someone that you have one of the extremely rare "REAL LAMP BOOT" knives. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the lambsfoot, sir! :):cool::thumbsup: Horn handle?

What kind of time travel or holographic trickery are you pulling here, John?!? :cool::cool::thumbsup:;)

My Dutch immigrant grandfather tried to convince me this could be done as we brought in a newborn calf from the pasture when I was about 8 or 10. :rolleyes: I had no idea it was actually an ancient Greek legend about an athlete (who apparently knew Pythagoras)!

Fascinating story and splendid ebony lambsfoot, Paul; congrats on its return after all this time! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Magnificent knife, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Yet another irresistible photo of this stunning lambsfoot!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Terrific shot, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for your impressive commentaries! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

Another shot of Union Jack on vacation last summer:
View attachment 1160876

- GT
Thank you, Sir. A rather spiffy looking, Union Jack.

waynorth waynorth That’s a good looking AC, Charlie.

Back