Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good Sunday morning, Guardians. It was another long day with the dog training, yesterday. I have wanted to take photos, but, the way it's been, haven't been able to. Ten or so pages behind...and this thread shows no signs of slowing down, just incredible.
DSC_0362.JPG

Thanks, Dennis, great job with the multi-quote postings and the re-purposing of the tin.

Double your pleasure, double your fun...with a double lambfoot day it has to be good

Sorry about your suffering from the festivities, David, but, thanks for posting the pics and info on the two bladed lambfoot. I do like the thinness of the single blade. I have been carrying the Waynorth ebony around and just like the feel of the knife...smooth texture of the ebony and the thin comfortable body, this knife is fast becoming my favorite.

Another double your lamb...can't be a fad...it's now a trend!

Great photo, Jack!

Thanks Preston, sounds like you and Dutch have been working hard :) :thumbsup:

Good morning all! Thanks for the kind welcome the past couple days. Today I'm off house hunting, maybe this gal will bring me some luck ...

AdEQkLo.jpg

Good luck @AnW :thumbsup:

That image is just too cool! Between you and Jack, I’m thinking “I need one.” Even if I don’t know how to properly use one.:) Great kit, Dennis.

Prester John Prester John A great look at your Sambar HHB, Vince. Well done.

Jack Black Jack Black Your Living Large with those beautiful Lambs.

@Pt-Luso The scallops on the Lambsfoot blade and the Stag makes for a handsome knife, José

@Ramrodmb Sweet image of your two Lambs with the splotches of color, and the texture of the wood, Mark.

Onebigbill Onebigbill Very nice image of your Sambar HHB and that cool vintage Omega.

@JohnDF Love that sun-kissed image of your Samba HH Barlow, John.

@Fodderwing Stay safe and as dry as you can be, my friend. Great image of your Duo.

Half/Stop Half/Stop I could set my gaze on the richness of that Ebony, forever, Ron.

@Reaper AL Great tribute image to your two Waynorths, Al.

WhittlinAway WhittlinAway A fine story. What a superb reverie. May it turn out true. Your Horn Lambsfoot looks wonderful, Greg.

pjsjr pjsjr A nice image of your well organized Lambsfoot collection.

Good Morning Guardians.
50B0C994-5A3D-416D-94A1-D29F7C0FA7AF_zpsryiyps68.jpeg

Easy enough to learn the basics of navigation Harvey :) Thank you my friend, classic pic, I love those old cast bottle-openers :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! :) What a pleasant way to spend a Sunday evening! :D

Thank you Ron :) :thumbsup:

Nice pic Boxer :cool: :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black I have actually never had this Samuel Smith....:cool: I am excited to try this out! Saving it for my birthday on the 22nd!

Hope you have a very Happy Birthday my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack. Looks like you're having a great afternoon. I slice a lime every day. :D

Most excellent Greg. Most excellent indeed. Looking forward to the next installment. :)

Lost every quote except the two above! :mad:

Thanks to you all for your compliments. Some wonderful images posted today.

Good for you Dwight :) The first of many! Drunk all the ginger-beer cocktails I could think of, invented a few, and then dispensed with the ginger-beer! :D :thumbsup:

KIgIfEN.jpg

I'm afraidI don't have any copper cups, uncommon here :)

That's some X Files type of stuff going on. :eek:
Better call in Rachel, our resident expert on such things. :cool: :thumbsup:

It's VERY strange! :eek: :thumbsup:

Love the photo. I've heard that flies are repulsed by sliced lime. That's why a slice of lime is put into a bottle of Corona beer in Mexico. Here I thought it was for the flavor! That's why I add a slice to my vodka & tonic...tastes good.

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Thanks Bill :) I thought it was maybe so the regulars know whose wallet to take! :eek: I love lime though, quite exotic when I was a kid :) :thumbsup:

Fantastic ebony :) :thumbsup:

Hope y'all are having a nice relaxing Sunday. I'll be back a little later to catch up on quotes , comments and the like.
48275943617_80ce651e63_h.jpg

LOL! :D Such a cool pic! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

Very nice indeed :) :thumbsup:

I do like that photo, Jack, great color and contrast

Thanks a lot Preston :) :thumbsup:

Great pics, everyone. Grats to all :cool: I'm sorry to sound so abrupt, but due to the rapid pace of this wonderful thread, I get more than a little overwhelmed when trying to comment on all the fine pics posted by y'all. Must be old age catching up with me a little :( Guess it will be clicking the "like" button from now on. Hope that will suffice and isn't too impolite.

When I was a kid, my favorite sandwich was tuna and baloney (bologna):eek: Not sure how I came up with that combo :confused: Could talk my mom into making it only once in a while, though. My Dad's favorite was baloney and peanut butter. Every once in a while a bite would get stuck to his roof of his mouth and he'd try to work it loose with his tongue. Your post jogged a sudden memory flash of my mom saying "George, would you PLEASE go into the bathroom" while he was fervently trying to work it loose sitting at the table :rolleyes:

That is a fantastic tale :cool:
Looking forward to the next installment :thumbsup: Great knife pic :thumbsup:

Yep, for sure. I use the Sharpmaker or a set of Spydercos on my KME. But most of the time, a strop keeps them plenty sharp for my light use.

Here's the herd
AY5BnGs.jpg

Where ya been OG?! :eek: :D My dad (who was probably working during most of my childhood) reckoned my very first word was "sandwiches"! Seems unlikely to me I have to say :rolleyes:

Fantastic herd my friend :) :thumbsup:

Back in 1982, I was a Youth Worker, with a modest expense account of £100 a year. Since I took kids hiking, camping, and climbing, and taught them navigation, among other things, I thought that the purchase of a compass was a reasonable investment :) When I bought this Silva Type 4, I never expected that I'd still be using it all these years later. I remember looking at that cheap plastic case, and thinking it'd last about 5 minutes. Yet, decades later, after a great deal of use, I still have the original case and instructions, and I am still relying on this relatively simple compass to get me home :) :thumbsup:

JzTPkgT.jpg

Back in 1982, I was a Youth Worker, with a modest expense account of £100 a year. Since I took kids hiking, camping, and climbing, and taught them navigation, among other things, I thought that the purchase of a compass was a reasonable investment :) When I bought this Silva Type 4, I never expected that I'd still be using it all these years later. I remember looking at that cheap plastic case, and thinking it'd last about 5 minutes. Yet, decades later, after a great deal of use, I still have the original case and instructions, and I am still relying on this relatively simple compass to get me home :) :thumbsup:

JzTPkgT.jpg
Thank you again, Jack. I say that knowing it was you kindly gifted me this antique beauty.

Congrats on picking up, in person, your stag Hartshead lambsfoot Barlow; looks like the handle occupies at least 3 dimensions - desirable feature for stag covers! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Here's a recent pic of Union Jack:
View attachment 1160622

- GT

Sorry about your suffering from the festivities, David, but, thanks for posting the pics and info on the two bladed lambfoot. I do like the thinness of the single blade.

Excellent pics David :) That secondary blade is overly chunky in my opinion, I think Wright's could do a better job. Still a nice-looking knife, but the extra weight and bulk is noticeable isn't it? I have one with steel liners, great knife, but it has some heft! :eek:

Thanks for the photos of 2-blade lambsfoot knives, David & Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
- GT

Great comparison shot! These days, the slimmer the better for me. I really enjoy a single blade.;):thumbsup:

Thanks chaps for your comments.:thumbsup: However, I think I may, yet again, of been talking pants.:) I just so happened to have my twin blade and my Hartshead together and thought I'd compare.
And what do you know. My Hartshead is both thicker and heavier than my twin-blade.:)
46PGHY6.jpg

That's a valid choice. :thumbsup: The etching on these Hartsheads feels deeper than the electro etched ones on the earlier Guardians knives. I'm hoping they will still show through patina, but we'll have to wait and see. :)

Thanks Rachel. I'll let you test and I'll do the waiting and seeing. :D

Totally agree donn, these local finches are fun little daredevils to watch:thumbsup:
Back in my pocket today:)
npowbN.jpg

Aye. I've even got wood pigeons that have learnt how to hang off the bird feeder. :cool: That's a great pouch and compass and knife shot there.:thumbsup:

I'd go with Nathan's over Oscar Meyer, and Laura Scudder peanut butter.
And spread it with this:
bXfekLN.jpg

So what patina does peanut butter give??

...and might be out of Spam...

Out...of...Spam...?? :eek::eek: We've a word for that round where I live. It's called 'apocolypse'...:D

Another compass. Had this one since the '80s...
erAckCX.jpg

Is that your military issue compass? (Is it the Bremer??) Looks very similar.

July 2047, Yorkshire, England

The patrons nodded to the elderly gentleman as he entered the pub, removed his flat cap, and sat himself at his favorite seat at the bar. He ordered a pint of Real Ale.

I don't think anyone will be able to afford to drink ale in Britain in 2047... :rolleyes:

Love the photo. I've heard that flies are repulsed by sliced lime. That's why a slice of lime is put into a bottle of Corona beer in Mexico. Here I thought it was for the flavor! That's why I add a slice to my vodka & tonic...tastes good.

Wow! Learn something new every day.:thumbsup:

Lovely ebony there. :thumbsup:

Here's the herd
AY5BnGs.jpg

Crikey! Your going to need a sheep dog to keep all them in line. :thumbsup:

Sorry folks I think I've missed a few quotes, but I'm having trouble with B.F. I keep getting 'Error 525 SSL Handshake Failed' messages. Yesterday was impossible, today much improved but it's making writing on here a chore.

This wasn't today, but it's how I've ended the evening.
beOHAkp.jpg

Very good Greg! :thumbsup: :cool:

A fine story. What a superb reverie. May it turn out true. Your Horn Lambsfoot looks wonderful, Greg.

Most excellent Greg. Most excellent indeed. Looking forward to the next installment. :)

Thank you, Guys. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

I'm flattered by your well-crafted vignette Greg :) Thank you, I hope I'm still slicing limes in 30 years! :D :thumbsup:

By a SPOOKY coincidence, my young lady is on her way over, and I just asked her if she fancied a Moscow Mule with the burgers I'm making! I don't think I've cut a lime since Christmas :cool: :) :thumbsup:

X3F5Bvy.jpg

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and that you didn't mind my featuring you in my bit of musing on the future.

And, wow, that is spooky! Not sure what to make of that, so we'll just chalk it up to good ol' coincidence. :)

I hope you enjoyed the Mules and had a good evening. :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone will be able to afford to drink ale in Britain in 2047... :rolleyes:

Now, that would be a dystopian future for sure. Let's hope that doesn't come to pass.

Another compass. Had this one since the '80s...
erAckCX.jpg

JzTPkgT.jpg

I'm loving these photos of compasses and lambsfoot knives. Mind if I join in the fun?

T9aGbZMh.jpg

cigarrodog cigarrodog this book is where I learned the basics, which is about all I know. It's been sitting dormant on my bookshelf for maybe 15 years. I really should refresh my memory and maybe learn something new while I'm at it. It's quite fun stuff.

I'll find out!
Out...of...Spam...?? :eek::eek: We've a word for that round where I live. It's called 'apocolypse'...:D
Well, I usually have some on hand. Never out of Tabasco sauce, though. Or coffee. Staples. Going to buy Spam tomorrow. :)

Update: guess I'm NOT out!
42um1Gv.jpg

Sipping white wine myself, right now, and carried my Hartshead Barlow today. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JzTPkgT.jpg
Why not use GPS? Ha Ha, just kidding

Great pics, everyone. Grats to all :cool: I'm sorry to sound so abrupt, but due to the rapid pace of this wonderful thread, I get more than a little overwhelmed when trying to comment on all the fine pics posted by y'all. Must be old age catching up with me a little :( Guess it will be clicking the "like" button from now on. Hope that will suffice and isn't too impolite.

When I was a kid, my favorite sandwich was tuna and baloney (bologna):eek: Not sure how I came up with that combo :confused: Could talk my mom into making it only once in a while, though. My Dad's favorite was baloney and peanut butter. Every once in a while a bite would get stuck to his roof of his mouth and he'd try to work it loose with his tongue. Your post jogged a sudden memory flash of my mom saying "George, would you PLEASE go into the bathroom" while he was fervently trying to work it loose sitting at the table :rolleyes:

Yep, for sure. I use the Sharpmaker or a set of Spydercos on my KME. But most of the time, a strop keeps them plenty sharp for my light use.

Here's the herd
AY5BnGs.jpg
Just an excellent flock of lambs, OG. I understand with your feeling about the pace of this thread and trying to keep up. I just do what I can when I can and live with it.:thumbsup:
Thanks Preston, sounds like you and Dutch have been working hard :) :thumbsup:
That we have. There have been more clients and more dogs. Competitions are at their height and the hunting season is rapidly approaching. It's all good, I'm glad for the trainer.
Ashes to ashes, butts to butts...well something like that, none the less, another great photo!
I'm loving these photos of compasses and lambsfoot knives. Mind if I join in the fun?

T9aGbZMh.jpg

cigarrodog cigarrodog this book is where I learned the basics, which is about all I know. It's been sitting dormant on my bookshelf for maybe 15 years. I really should refresh my memory and maybe learn something new while I'm at it. It's quite fun stuff.
Maps and compass are essential parts of my pack when hunting.
IMG_1244.JPG

Happy Sunday Guardians! Enjoy the last of the weekend!

oWSpy8r.jpg
Stellar Duo Mark:thumbsup:

Beautiful pic Dave. Lovely composition.

Thank you Dennis.

Great pic!

Thank you Mark. Fantastic lamb duo. Yes, Dave's English pub coverage is one of my favorites! :cool:

Have a great time communing with the mountains and streams my friend.

Good morning, afternoon and evening all. Three days of rain on the way. I LOVE IT. :DView attachment 1161189
Great duo as well Dwight:cool:

Thank you Dennis! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark! :) :thumbsup:

Have a great Sunday Guardians! :) While it appears that someone doesn’t know what a Lambsfoot knife looks like ^^^^, I assure y’all that I DO KNOW! :rolleyes: :D

43709173820_61968d004a_b_d.jpg
Awesome pic Ron, is there a Pam influence there;):thumbsup:

July 2047, Yorkshire, England

The patrons nodded to the elderly gentleman as he entered the pub, removed his flat cap, and sat himself at his favorite seat at the bar. He ordered a pint of Real Ale and chatted with the young bartender as she pulled his Bitter from the cask. She was new here, having arrived from the US only a few weeks prior. But she and the old man had already struck up a friendship; she enjoying his stories and he appreciating her interest in the area’s history.

The man settled in with his pint and the daily paper. Around page three he noticed the young woman was struggling to make progress cutting up a pile of limes while also tending to the steady arrival of thirsty patrons and their drink orders.

“Hand them over here and I’ll help.”

“What?”

“The limes. Give them to me and I’ll help you catch up.”

“Oh! Thank you. Here you go.”

After pushing over the cutting board and bag of limes she began to pass him the knife. Casually waving it off, he said “thank you, but no need: I’ve brought my own.” He carefully withdrew a modest-sized folding knife from his right front pocket, opened it, and reached for a lime.

“This should be interesting,” she thought. But, before she could watch, a group of customers burst through the door and headed directly to the bar to place their order. Pints and chip butties for the lot. Frankly, she didn’t understand the appeal of the sandwiches, but they certainly were popular.

Returning her attention to the man, she was surprised to see a stack of neatly-cut lime wedges arranged on the cutting board. He was wiping the blade clean with a napkin, preparing to return the knife to his pocket.

“Wow! That must be quite a knife! What kind is it?”

“It is indeed. It’s called a lambsfoot. It’s my favorite style. This one is particularly special. It’s from a batch I had made thirty years ago.”

“Lambsfoot? Neat! I think it’s called a sheepsfoot in America. I love learning these regional differences in language.”

The man smiled at that.

“We call a sheepsfoot a sheepsfoot here, too, but a lambsfoot is different. Notice how the blade tapers as it gets towards to tip? That’s the defining characteristic. The spine of a sheepsfoot blade is parallel to the edge all the way down. It may seem like a small point, but, believe me, it makes a big difference.”

“I don’t know. Thirty years is a lot of use. How do I know it didn’t start out parallel and then get that taper as you sharpened it over the years?”

“Ah. Clever! You’ve got good wits about you. But, think about it: if that were the case the edge would trend up to the spine, but here the spine trends down to the tip.”

“Oh. Good point. Hmm.”

He deftly rotated the still-open knife in his hand so that he could present it to her handle-first. “Here, you don’t have to take my word for it. Take a look for yourself.”

She was puzzled at first, but then a smile appeared on her face just as she let out a good laugh.

“Real Lamb Foot! OK, Jack, you win! I’m sorry for doubting. Let me buy you a pint and you can tell me more about it.”

“Thank you. I’d love that, but it’ll have to wait until next time. I’m off to Sheffield in the morning and have some things to attend to first.”

With that, the man stood up from his seat, grabbed his hat, waved goodbye to the other patrons, and headed to the door.

“Real Lamb Foot. Who would have thought...” the bartender muttered to herself. She was going to have to find out more.

j8Xc1yDh.jpg

To be continued.
Great read Greg and love the diversity in the horn:cool:

Thanks chaps for your comments.:thumbsup: However, I think I may, yet again, of been talking pants.:) I just so happened to have my twin blade and my Hartshead together and thought I'd compare.
And what do you know. My Hartshead is both thicker and heavier than my twin-blade.:)
46PGHY6.jpg

Thanks Rachel. I'll let you test and I'll do the waiting and seeing. :D

Aye. I've even got wood pigeons that have learnt how to hang off the bird feeder. :cool: That's a great pouch and compass and knife shot there.:thumbsup:

Is that your military issue compass? (Is it the Bremer??) Looks very similar.

Wow! Learn something new every day.:thumbsup:

Lovely ebony there. :thumbsup:

Crikey! Your going to need a sheep dog to keep all them in line. :thumbsup:

Sorry folks I think I've missed a few quotes, but I'm having trouble with B.F. I keep getting 'Error 525 SSL Handshake Failed' messages. Yesterday was impossible, today much improved but it's making writing on here a chore.

beOHAkp.jpg
Thanks David, great Stag on your HHB:cool::thumbsup:
Porterhouse for Nanc (yep, her's is bigger):eek::D and ribeye for me:thumbsup: I won a Traeger last summer, but just can't part with this old Char Broil:oops:
Ebony worked fantastic to check medium rare:thumbsup:
52ACdX.jpg

JusDMw.jpg

zTkVYT.jpg

Back