Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Training yesterday started early...with a spectacular sunrise and Rosie in the picture.
IMG_1248.JPG

The training grounds, first the water. It's planned and laid out to give the most varied approaches and courses. Angled entries. Into one body and over land then into another section of water. Channels. Short swims, long swims. Islands. Way in the background, by the trees and to the left is a 'L' shaped channel pond.
IMG_1249.JPG

The hay field, it's right next to the water so both can be used in combination.
IMG_1250.JPG

It's a flat hay field with little elevation change. When they mow the hay, the owner has them leave strips of cover and some hay bales to add obstacles for the dogs on their way to the birds. They have another field with some different terrain and cover adjacent to the hay field, not pictured. We do train other places to give the dogs as much experience with different water and land as possible. It's not unusual to do retrieves on land and water of 300+ yards. In competition there will be multiple birds, dogs have to be able to remember the location of the falls because the bird throwers will go out of sight(retire). There are also blind retrieves, where the dog doesn't see the fall of the bird. Handlers have to use whistle and hand signals to direct the dog to the bird.
Here is a video of a dog running a water triple(three birds are thrown) in the seventh series of the National Amateur Championship. AKC Retriever Trials are not really spectator friendly, but this will give you an idea of what the pro trainer I help is trying to train the dogs to be competitive at.
Here is Rosie, watching over things!
IMG_1251.JPG

Thank you, PJ. :)

Unfortunately, the big one got away. My wife was ready wirh the camera, but he shook the fly before I could land him. :oops:
Sorry to hear that John, I do understand that. I have a real 'shaggy dog' story about a big one that got away from me. I'll not tell it here...maybe PM if you really want to hear it.
Hope your dental appointment went OK Preston, your Lambsfoot is showing some character :) :thumbsup:
I'm sure it is very rewarding my friend :) Thank you, I certainly wouldn't have wanted a secondary blade on the Barlow :thumbsup:
DDS went as well as could be expected. Yes, very rewarding, as well as fun.
Quite some time ago, some of you might recall that I decided to undertake the making of a "proper" chip butty. It was an interesting experience and I replicated it on a number of occasions afterwards. I haven't made one for quite some time though, as I've been trying to cut back on my gross carb intake (beer doesn't count :p).

Well, inspired by Greg's chicken processing and the wonderful performance of the Waynorth jigged at simply cutting up an apple, I decided to make a chip butty for breakfast this morning. However, this time, I was going to put my own spin on it. It definitely will not be a traditional chip butty but it will certainly be inspired by one. Of course, a Lambsfoot will be responsible for all of the food prep.

First, like always, we kick things off with some strong coffee.

5Av0xtS.jpg

Since the potatoes take the longest to cook, I prepped them first. A couple of things to note here: Not only does the length of the Waynorth Lambsfoot facilitate easy processing of the potatoes, the thin blade just sails through them. I made short work of these red potatoes (these are a household staple), cutting them up in slices that would lay flat on bread.

7ZBVeJd.jpg

Here is the beginning of my own "spin". I cut up a number of veggies, including the squash and zucchini that I harvested from my garden, setting them aside for now until the potatoes had progressed a bit more. The knife sailed through all of the veggies. The mushrooms posed a bit of a problem in that they had a tendency to stick to the blade.

iIidoOr.jpg

After the potatoes and veggies were finished, I toasted some bread, grated some extra sharp white cheddar (made right here in Oregon), and brought out a number of appropriate condiments.

115e7C7.jpg

Breakfast is served! An open faced chip butty with fresh cooked veggies, spices, extra sharp white cheddar. Topped with a couple of sunny side up eggs and a few liberal dashes of Henderson's. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself. The Lambsfoot performed its tasks admirably, it is a slicing machine!

ETwSj5J.jpg
Excellent photo/write up on the chip butty, Dylan, bet it tasted mighty good...as it looked!
Thanks to Chin's generous expertise, I have modified my Hartshead Barlow pile side to be more of a match with the mark cover. Potassium permangate dissolved in water and painted onto the cover with a Q-tip: dab, wait 30 seconds, wipe off and wait a couple minutes for the purple to turn tan brown. Repeat until the color you want is achieved. I like it, very much.

Mark side:
ExJfZa1.jpg

Pile side before:
te9fqLf.jpg

Pile side after:
enqeLKG.jpg
Thanks for the photos showing the before and after. It sure does make a

I love the volkswagen themed knife shots. Huge fan of the old ones. Especially the vans. :cool:
Well here's one you will like and pjsjr pjsjr Preston might like it too. It's a little VW split that is a record player. You set in on your record ( never a record that you value at all ) and it drives around the record and plays music. They were also known as " Vinyl killers" haha

48311709286_419eda29d1_h.jpg

A video that shows it in action.

Jack Black Jack Black - The Horn Lamb’s translucency is mesmerizing. Have fun going to market, to market.

@Dschal Dave, Your beautiful Ironwood looks right at home.

black mamba black mamba - Jeff, your wiki on darkening the Sambar, expanding on @Cambertree , Chin’s wiki was a gift to us all. Thank you to both of you.

JohnDF JohnDF Two that didn’t get away.:)

WhittlinAway WhittlinAway A beautiful Lambsfoot sculpture, Greg.

dc50 dc50 Great image, Dave, of the AC and the HH Barlow Lambs. Feel better and better soon.

flatblackcapo flatblackcapo Thank you kindly. The cupcake appears smaller, because it was a different perspective. Or perhaps I whittled it down a bit with the Waynorth. The apples, cheese and chips with your HH Barlow look quite appealing.

@Foddering -Thank you Dwight. I prefer eating the frosting right out of the freezer, so your suggested accompaniment of ice cold goat’s milk is a capital one. Your images in Mother Nature’s studio are consistently outstanding.

Prester John Prester John wonderful look at your Ironwood Lambsfoot, Vince.

chuck4570 chuck4570 Thank you. Your right, and I do love this knife.

pjsjr pjsjr . All the images are great, but the top shot of the Lamb at sunrise, is spectacular.

Well here's one you will like and pjsjr pjsjr Preston might like it too. It's a little VW split that is a record player. You set in on your record ( never a record that you value at all ) and it drives around the record and plays music. They were also known as " Vinyl killers" haha

48311709286_419eda29d1_h.jpg

A video that shows it in action.
I love it Kevin, never had one though I remember seeing one.
I'd buy one if I found it!:thumbsup: Are you on Audiokarma?
pjsjr pjsjr . All the images are great, but the top shot of the Lamb at sunrise, is spectacular.
Thanks Harvey, much appreciate that.
Good morning Guardians, my stag Père David white and polished!;):thumbsup:
Such a handsome lamb, you did it proud with those photos, Jose:thumbsup:
My Waynorth ebony lamb...
DSC_0361.JPG

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Thank you. :)

One is too many, and one hundred is not enough!!!

:D

Training yesterday started early...with a spectacular sunrise and Rosie in the picture.

Thanks for the photos and explanation. Very interesting. And Rosie looks great in her supervisory role. :)

A beautiful Lambsfoot sculpture, Greg.

Thank you!

Yipee, I have an ebony 93 waynorth lambsfoot on the way.

As do I. Congrats!

Congratulations to both of you. You’re in for a treat!

Back