1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
  2. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Jack, John, Greg, Kevin, Ron, thank you for the kind words, I'm very happy with the results.

And huge thanks to Chin!

3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Dwight!
    Nice stag Barlow you've got there.

mitch4ging, dc50, cigarrodog and 2 others like this.
  4. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Ole Jack is a pretty nice feller! ;) :D

5. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Training yesterday started early...with a spectacular sunrise and Rosie in the picture.
    [​IMG]
    The training grounds, first the water. It's planned and laid out to give the most varied approaches and courses. Angled entries. Into one body and over land then into another section of water. Channels. Short swims, long swims. Islands. Way in the background, by the trees and to the left is a 'L' shaped channel pond.
    [​IMG]
    The hay field, it's right next to the water so both can be used in combination.
    [​IMG]
    It's a flat hay field with little elevation change. When they mow the hay, the owner has them leave strips of cover and some hay bales to add obstacles for the dogs on their way to the birds. They have another field with some different terrain and cover adjacent to the hay field, not pictured. We do train other places to give the dogs as much experience with different water and land as possible. It's not unusual to do retrieves on land and water of 300+ yards. In competition there will be multiple birds, dogs have to be able to remember the location of the falls because the bird throwers will go out of sight(retire). There are also blind retrieves, where the dog doesn't see the fall of the bird. Handlers have to use whistle and hand signals to direct the dog to the bird.
    Here is a video of a dog running a water triple(three birds are thrown) in the seventh series of the National Amateur Championship. AKC Retriever Trials are not really spectator friendly, but this will give you an idea of what the pro trainer I help is trying to train the dogs to be competitive at.

Here is Rosie, watching over things!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear that John, I do understand that. I have a real 'shaggy dog' story about a big one that got away from me. I'll not tell it here...maybe PM if you really want to hear it.
    DDS went as well as could be expected. Yes, very rewarding, as well as fun.
    Excellent photo/write up on the chip butty, Dylan, bet it tasted mighty good...as it looked!
    Thanks for the photos showing the before and after. It sure does make a

6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    It happens. :D
    I'll PM you... incoming... :cool:

7. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Well here's one you will like and @pjsjr Preston might like it too. It's a little VW split that is a record player. You set in on your record ( never a record that you value at all ) and it drives around the record and plays music. They were also known as " Vinyl killers" haha

[​IMG]

A video that shows it in action.

8. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @Jack Black - The Horn Lamb’s translucency is mesmerizing. Have fun going to market, to market.

@Dschal Dave, Your beautiful Ironwood looks right at home.

@black mamba - Jeff, your wiki on darkening the Sambar, expanding on @Cambertree , Chin’s wiki was a gift to us all. Thank you to both of you.

@JohnDF Two that didn’t get away.:)

@WhittlinAway A beautiful Lambsfoot sculpture, Greg.

@dc50 Great image, Dave, of the AC and the HH Barlow Lambs. Feel better and better soon.

@flatblackcapo Thank you kindly. The cupcake appears smaller, because it was a different perspective. Or perhaps I whittled it down a bit with the Waynorth. The apples, cheese and chips with your HH Barlow look quite appealing.

@Foddering -Thank you Dwight. I prefer eating the frosting right out of the freezer, so your suggested accompaniment of ice cold goat’s milk is a capital one. Your images in Mother Nature’s studio are consistently outstanding.

@Prester John wonderful look at your Ironwood Lambsfoot, Vince.

@chuck4570 Thank you. Your right, and I do love this knife.

@pjsjr. All the images are great, but the top shot of the Lamb at sunrise, is spectacular.

9. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    Yipee, I have an ebony 93 waynorth lambsfoot on the way.

10. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    One of the best! :thumbsup::D

11. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thank you, Harvey. :)

mitch4ging and cigarrodog like this.
  12. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    That’s got to be a great feeling. Congratulations, Josh.

13. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thank you very much Gary...:):thumbsup:

14. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Good morning Guardians, my stag Père David white and polished!;):thumbsup:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I love it Kevin, never had one though I remember seeing one.
    I'd buy one if I found it!:thumbsup: Are you on Audiokarma?
    Thanks Harvey, much appreciate that.
    Such a handsome lamb, you did it proud with those photos, Jose:thumbsup:
    My Waynorth ebony lamb...
    [​IMG]

16. E40

E40 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2012
    As do I. Congrats!

17. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Lol... too funny. :D:thumbsup:

chuck4570, pjsjr and cigarrodog like this.
  18. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Good Morning Guardians
    [​IMG]

19. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Stainless day par excellance, for even the coolest of cats.
    [​IMG]

20. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Thank you. :)

:D

Thanks for the photos and explanation. Very interesting. And Rosie looks great in her supervisory role. :)

Thank you!

Congratulations to both of you. You’re in for a treat!