Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

IMG_1248.JPG
Great post Preston!

Well here's one you will like and @pjsjr Preston might like it too. It's a little VW split that is a record player. You set in on your record ( never a record that you value at all ) and it drives around the record and plays music. They were also known as " Vinyl killers" haha
That is just way cool! :D Never seen one or heard of it. :cool:

@Foddering -Thank you Dwight. I prefer eating the frosting right out of the freezer, so your suggested accompaniment of ice cold goat’s milk is a capital one. Your images in Mother Nature’s studio are consistently outstanding.
Thank you Harvey :)

Have a great dayIMG_6383.jpeg

Ugh!!! I'm in between unloading a furniture semi and our next delivery (our two delivery guys combined are younger than me)!:p actually, I guess it's not all that funny (for me anyways);)
Alright, I had many quotes listed, jumped back as I was certain there where some I missed and as it turns out, I lost them all and just don't have the time to go back and re quote them:oops::oops::oops:

So I apologize for not listing individual "thank you's" so for the likes and quotes for my pup and Lamb I extend an all encompassing THANK YOU to all:) so many knives posted...Jeff, Dwight, Harvey, Jack, Ron, Kevin, Gary and sooooo many I fail to mention. This has to be the fastest moving thread going:thumbsup: as I was "quoting" I literally saw pages being added:eek:

Today's entry, a feathered horn Lamb Foot gifted by Jack (mrknife) and I know Jacked gifted SEVERAL members here:eek::thumbsup: Thanks Jack, miss ya buddy, it was fun hanging with you at the rendezvous:cool:
YicRo2.jpg

Pjfrmy.jpg

Great photo! Would you mind telling a bit about its subject? I'm sure you've introduced that slim slicer before, but I probably missed it.
Thank you Greg. This Lambsfoot is a modern, all Stainless, Joseph Rodgers. It’s about 3 1/2 inches closed, and the blade is about 2 1/2 inches in length. Super thin. Fits in my small watch pocket, nicely. It’s very inexpensive and not afraid of any sort of weather, as illustrated by the image, taken on the hood of a car during a downpour. I needed a towel and a change of clothes. It needed a blow dry and a bit of mineral oil.

Nice pic of Valley Jack. :thumbsup:
Thanks, FBC. :)

Thanks for the well-wishes and comments on my little excursion. I had a fantastic time walking around the old logging town and talking to locals about its history. The fishing was fun, the food was excellent, and the people were so nice. My wife and I decided we need to find more little towns to spend time in and explore. Vacations don't always have to be about thrills and entertainment, sometimes education and relaxation are just what the soul needs.
Man, ain't that the truth! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: When we first started renting a cottage in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, we'd go up for a week. Not counting our trip up and back, that gave us 6 full days of vacation. The first few years, we probably averaged 4 day trips over those 6 days: go to Mackinac Island for a day, or a day for Tahquamenon Falls, or a day for Drummond Island, or a day for Sault Ste. Marie, or a day for Whitefish Point, or a day for Pictured Rocks, or a day for St. Ignace, etc. I'd be exhausted when we got home. Now we spend two weeks at the rented cottage and make maybe 2 day trips over the two weeks. Some years, I've only left the cottage/lakefront for morning walks and trips to library and grocery store. I come home feeling WAY more refreshed!

I'm back from my trip, it was wonderful and relaxing.
I think I did an okay job of keeping up with the Guardian thread, even given the crappy mountain wifi and limited time at the computer. I had you guys on my mind as I walked around town and visited shops and museums. I even picked up this little souvenir so I could post a picture of it...

And as I leave my vacation adventures behind me, I'll post one more picture from down by the river...

Sounds like the two of you had a fantastic time, John; welcome back! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Striking photo of Valley Jack!
View attachment 1162527
Thanks, Dwight. :)
Superb photo of some sumptuous stag! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Missed a few pages while I was hand-stitching this hat, but I think it was worth it!

pULBfSb.jpg

Okay, I didn't hand-stitch the hat.
Both hat and knife are top-shelf, Barry! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, GT! I had to put it far enough into the future so that folks would forget by then if I get it wrong. ;)
Thank you! The first caption was "The Three Amigos", but I thought they looked a bit too serious for that. ;)
Sounds like you're a speculative fiction author who plans ahead, Greg! :):cool::thumbsup:
In my haste to catch up, I apparently missed that first photo of a trio (among a bunch of other topics and pics I've seen referred to in other posts, but never noticed the originals). :(:rolleyes:

Very NICE Barry:thumbsup:
Again today:thumbsup:
PyxH0r.jpg

and this FACE!!!
6qiw2v.jpg
Paul, that's kind of the look I have on my face when I'm gazing at all the incredible pics of the Waynorth jigged bone lambsfoot, including yours! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Hi, Larry. Us! :D:D
And your knife is heavenly, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Mine for the next couple of days...
xsLJr0y.jpg

Night, all!
Your stag lambsfoot HHB is looking prim, prime, and pristine, Dennis! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a good week :) :thumbsup:

vabbvbL.jpg

x3O6cmF.jpg
Superb pics, Jack, :thumbsup::cool::cool: but I think now you're just messing with our minds! :eek:
Previously, you've set us up by showing pics of 2 different stag HHBs in the same post, and now you switch to 2 pics of the SAME stag HHB in a single post! I'm too old for such shenanigans! :rolleyes:

Good morning, Guardians.:):thumbsup:

jfw3yd.jpg
I enjoy your knife-in-the-grass photos, José; this one of your stag HHB is excellent! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Good Morning Guardians, Back in our yard doing a myriad of chores with my trust friend Hartshead. Going to start off early today before it gets too hot here in coastal southern NC.
View attachment 1162769

58446FEB-0CBC-43B6-ACD0-1FB8EC220F33_zpsiq33rmv5.jpeg
Bill, you have smokin' hot stag on your Hartshead Barlow; great shot! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Today, I’m being predictable and going with the horn:

8Y0ruLRh.jpg

Greg, how is the horn on that knife doing? Is it quite stable now, or do you still experience seasonal changes? I admire your commitment to that one! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm sitting outside, pondering the knife in my hand...
Why is this knife my favorite? I currently own about 30 knives, and HAVE owned a hundred more... Why this one?

That's just poetry, John! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
It's basically a lambsfoot version of "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."

... Good cutter and fidget spinner... what more do I need?
8Fi115I.jpg
Astounding knife, Matt! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: We all know the real answer to "What more do I need?" is "Nothing." But looking at that knife, I wonder if the answer to "What more do I want?" ought to be the same!! :eek::rolleyes::D

That all sounds good to me, Gary, but this first (last?) Spam & PB sandwich will have nothing added, although I will fry the Spam in butter. ...

Lovely pic of the ironwood.

Here's one of mine:
yM1nwmM.jpg
Thanks for the ironwood compliment, Vince and for reminding us of how attractive yours is! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I think yours was the first on which I noticed the "hills and valleys" caused by little "kinks" in the grain.
I'm thinking of your PB & Spam experiment as the first step toward an official Guardians Sandwich! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm glad you enjoyed it, GT. You're the first to ask: it was my trusty buffalo horn lambsfoot. ...

That's a great picture of Valley Jack!
Thanks for the info and the compliment, Greg. :):thumbsup: I'd never have thought about rosewood handles possibly being unsanitary because of their porosity! I think of myself as being quite "risk averse" because I don't drive fast, or drink and drive, or text and drive, or bungee jump, or jaywalk, or brawl in bar rooms. But I actually exhibit a lot of risky behavior when it comes to food safety: eating things of indeterminate age and provenance from the fridge, drinking "expired" milk, picking up ingredients off the floor and tossing them onto my plate or into the bowl, rinsing off utensils without obsessing much about potential "germs". :rolleyes:

7ebkIxch.jpg

My other three: The REAL LAMBFOOT standard-bearers.
That's a tremendous trio right there!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

You folks are quite the enablers, aren't you? These just in...

View attachment 1163073

Not sure I'll keep the composite covers forever, but they are a nice addition to my tiny flock. This is quite addicting!
Congrats, Glenn! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Those composite covers kind of appeal to me for an all-business lambsfoot. ;)

Always a pleasure to read your posts Gary :) Thanks for the kind words, I'm afraid I have no great knowledge when it comes to sharpening. That's a fine pic of your Valley Jack :) :thumbsup:
Much appreciated, Jack. :)

We need to change your name to "Randy". ;)
Yeah, I don't know why that particular model has grabbed my attention in such a stranglehold! :rolleyes::D

Okay, I don't have a "REAL LAMBFOOT" as noted by the plain blade, but awesome none the less. Ebony is nice.
View attachment 1163120
Congrats, and welcome to the Guardians! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) You sure don't need the blade etch to know you've got the "real deal" when it comes to lambsfoots.

All of mine:
0AV02o6.jpg
Quintessential Quintet, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Valley Jack with the tin it rode in on:
IJ.mark.closed.on.tin.LR.jpg

- GT

I actually have more Yixing teapots than I can use at one time, so some go into the "vault," like Case knives. I just brought this one out and put the dragon pot away. This one combines red clay with blue in a bamboo motif, and is beautifully made. RALF approves. I christened its new advent with my finest single estate green tea.

bZSp1CP.jpg

Thanks for the ironwood compliment, Vince and for reminding us of how attractive yours is! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I think yours was the first on which I noticed the "hills and valleys" caused by little "kinks" in the grain.
I'm thinking of your PB & Spam experiment as the first step toward an official Guardians Sandwich! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Maybe Jack's Sunday Sausage Sandwich with Henderson's would be more appropriate. Or a chip butty. ;)

Now we spend two weeks at the rented cottage and make maybe 2 day trips over the two weeks. Some years, I've only left the cottage/lakefront for morning walks and trips to library and grocery store. I come home feeling WAY more refreshed!
That sounds so wonderful. My wife and I were talking about making McCloud a yearly trip.

It's basically a lambsfoot version of "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."
Sometimes we have to ponder and mull over our important decisions, like what's your favorite knife. You know, the important stuff. ;)

Now's the time JohnDF JohnDF to get out on your porch with a glass of milk and a cookie for the mailman.

July 18, 2019 at 8:26 am
Arrived at Post Office
LOOMIS, CA 95650
I've been on the porch all night. I only come inside for a fresh cup of coffee. :D

Happy Friday incoming, Guardians!
It does get confusing! We also call them chili peppers to clarify the chili pods as opposed to the meal Chili con carne. And it's getting close to harvesting time here!:D:thumbsup:
Yes, it takes a little bit to remember the different names for fruit and vegetables on both sides of the pond! I’m looking forward to seeing what the harvest brings for all you pepper-head Guardians!
Love to grind up some coriander, coffee and chilies for a flank steak marinade!:cool::thumbsup:
Sounds delicious, Dennis!
Thanks for the advice and directions, Chin.:thumbsup: I have used a similar strategy to spruce up some Stag handles in the past and it worked very well. Loved the pictures of your and Cudgee's Waynorth Lambs, especially the one with your boomstick and snaps from your hike (also the pies);)
Good stuff Mark. Thank you. Yes that PP works really well. I think I’ve improved my technique after doing several knives now. I use a fine sable brush and do several applications, buffing back the high spots with leather.
Chin, fascinating post my friend! Thanks so much for sharing your Harissa recipe! It sounds delightful and offers many opportunities to use that lovely Lambfoot blade.
The colors of the vegetables and the beauty of your Lambfoots come together for some wonderful images.:thumbsup:
Potassium Permanganate is a fascinating substance and a very useful piece of "kit" as you eluded to. I carry some and have used it for most of those things you mentioned. I've not found the need to use as a wound dressing, yet (thank goodness), but water purification AND a fire starter in one lightweight powder?! What could be better?;):D
I quit smoking with the help of an e-cig, 5 years ago, so I happen to routinely have the glycerin with me as well.:eek:
Ah that’s interesting. Yes a very versatile substance. I remember trying to concoct blackpowder out of it (with charcoal and sulphur) as a kid! Thanks again, my friend!
I never tire of looking at photos of beautiful knives.
Thanks Frailer!
Cambertree Cambertree Thanks for the recipe Chin! :thumbsup: :)
It’s my pleasure, Ron.
Thanks pal, the Gilpin was given to me by@scruffUK, who not only cleaned and polished it, but re-hafted it :)
Ah, that makes sense: ScruffUK does fine work. Haven’t seen him around for a while.
But definitely keep it away from nitric acid! :eek: :thumbsup:
Absolutely!
I do love an oggie :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the link - although Cornish Pasties are a staple of bakeries here, I’d never heard that word for them!
I'm definitely saving your recipe Chin, it looks marvellous :) Fantastic Lambsfoot content too ;) :thumbsup:
I tell you, that smell when you start toasting the cumin, coriander seeds and caraway is almost as delicious as the finished product!
Thank you Chin. :) Love the recipe you shared!
Cheers Dwight. Great to see that beautiful fall pic of your rosewood Lambsfoot again. It almost looks like it’s laying in rose petals.
Cambertree Cambertree If you wrote a Blog, I would subscribe to it. Very enjoyable. As there are so many beautiful Lambsfoot knives, so are there some vey fine writers here.
That image with the Lambsfoot on top of the veggies is brilliant.
Thank you Harvey, that’s very kind of you. I should do that - then I won’t feel so guilty at wandering off on so many digressions all the time!
Chin, thank you for the kind words and most especially for the mouth watering recipe and accompanying photos. I'll be trying it out soon!
Nice one Greg, I’ll be looking forward to hearing what you think, and maybe seeing a few pics - complete with trusty buffalo Lambsfoot, no doubt. I’ve got a couple more good ones, when you start harvesting your peppers.
Taking a page out of Chin's book, so to speak.
Wonderful piece, Dylan, I really enjoy your photos, as you know, but when they’re combined with your excellent Lambsfoot totin’ and using narratives, you really take it up to a whole other level, my friend.
Your gardens looking great, and that chip butty looked delectable.
I’ve had it on my ‘List of things to do with my Lambsfoot’ to make some rustic plant cages after seeing this pic, which I thought I’d share here:
887DB141-8A84-48E4-8874-60B2F0AF1445.jpeg
BEEP BEEP
48286109031_a500ed096c_k.jpg

:D
Awesome pic Kevin. After seeing that photo Duncan took of Jack framing a photo of his Lambsfoot, I laughed to think that we’re probably all well familiar with that odd look from strangers who walk past when we’re taking knife photos in public. But surely you have to get the current ‘Guardians Photojournalist Award’ for laying down in the middle of the road to get that great photo!
You are welcome, Chin, your posts are always full of interesting information to read and excellent photos.
Cheers Preston, thanks for that wonderful post showing your bird dog training sessions. I’m really enjoying these ‘Lambsfoot and Slice of Life’ posts here lately.
I'm surprised they let me into Yorkshire. It's only after I promise to buy a few rounds do they let the drawbridge down...:D
LOL Chin! The southern hemisphere just went up in my estimation!:D That shop look fantastic but interesting about the climate and cured pork. Anyway I'm glad Australian Immigration has it's priorities right.
UK trained Staff Nurse. Nope.
UK Butcher and Pork Pie Meister Extraordinaire. Yip. :D:thumbsup:
Ha ha, I’m definitely heading back to Rob’s soon to try some other British delicacies.
That’s disappointing about the Staff Nurse situation. You could always take a leaf out of Jack’s book, and try for a sentence of Transportation! Although I see the long arm of the law has yet to catch up with his urban parkour/Lambsfoot photojournalism exploits in Sheffield yet!
SPAMbrosia, eh?? :p:cool:
Heh heh, sounds like another word for Soylent Green, GT.
Chin, thanks for the photos of those exquisite Waynorth jigged bone lambsfoots, and for the rundown on Australian Guardians!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I'll soon be going on vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and a "signature food" of that region is pasties, both Cornish and Finnish (one includes carrots, one doesn't, but I don't remember which is which)... The Yoopers (residents of the U. P.) say they should be served with only ketchup as a "topping", although they usually offer gravy for tourists.
Thanks GT. That’s interesting about the Finnish pasties. Most bakeries here have Cornish pasties (with carrot), but I’m keen to try a proper English one, to see if it’s any different. We have tomato sauce on ours too - gravy sounds a bit odd.

Your mention of the Michigan U.P., along with John’s fantastic account of his recent trout fishing trip, made me think of my favourite Hemingway story, which is set in the U.P.: Big Two-Hearted River.
It has some similarities with the Lambsfoot blade, but is obviously wider. I'd love to know how Chin is getting on with his 'Lambshank' :thumbsup:
I'd also love to hear about how the Lambshank is faring. I noticed a patina on it the last time he showed it, so I suspect it hasn't been lazing about in a drawer. :)
Thanks lads, yes I actually had the Lambshank out today, prompted by Greg’s account of using his Buff Lambsfoot in the kitchen. I used it help butcher a Sambar deer down into cuts, which my brother took while we hunted the Victorian High Country this past weekend, and which had been hanging in a cool room to age.

I’ll certainly write some fuller notes, and I also want to make some observations on ‘mah knife’ - my ebony user Lambsfoot after using it for a couple of years now - but I’ll do it in a fresh post, hopefully over the next week or so.

B5557013-3B85-409D-BBDB-F24A12A20B40.jpeg
Thanks to Chin's generous expertise, I have modified my Hartshead Barlow pile side to be more of a match with the mark cover. Potassium permangate dissolved in water and painted onto the cover with a Q-tip: dab, wait 30 seconds, wipe off and wait a couple minutes for the purple to turn tan brown. Repeat until the color you want is achieved. I like it, very much.
Excellent Jeff, I’m glad it worked so well for you. You did an excellent job! It looks great.

I just thought I’d mention in closing, that I’m glad to see along with all the fine Waynorths and Guardians specials, that many folk are still digging their basic ol’ worker Lambsfoot knives.
Here’s to the ‘Humbles’!
lQVYsop.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - I hear you, Jack. One time I had a hankering for wedding cake. Bought one, sliced and placed it in the freezer. Took a whole year to finish. There’s just something about vanilla buttercream frosting from a bakery that speaks to me.:)

JohnDF JohnDF Thank you John.

Another fond perspective.
352832C8-AAD8-4848-85A2-668ADE4E0C49_zpslucs7nn8.jpeg

LOL! :D I remember you telling that story before my friend, do you not need to show some sort of wedding invitation or something, before you're allowed to buy a wedding cake?! :confused::eek::D;):thumbsup:

Great colours in that pic :) :thumbsup:

Nice pic John :cool: :thumbsup:

Kipo9y8h.jpg

It started with one.
Soon there were two.
Three was enough:
I declared myself through.

But then there were four.
Five and six came this year.
I must hold fast,
Or it'll be seven, I fear!

Wow! Fantastic Greg, I wish I could hit the 'Like' button more than once! :cool: :cool: :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Was under the weather the past couple days if I missed any comments thank you ever so much. :D

Me either David when I was a boy maybe 1or 2 small twisters all summer. The weather is changing we've had 18 so far this summer.

lol :thumbsup::p:D

I believe your right if the lambsfoot was available in the farm stores here years ago I'm pretty sure we would have some real treasures to be found.:thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that Dave :( From what you've been saying it was some pretty extreme weather to be under! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

Great pic Dave :) :thumbsup:

Very tasty Kevin :) :thumbsup:

I had forgotten how beautiful Lucy is. :) Happy hunting tomorrow Jack!

View attachment 1163318

Thank you buddy, I can feel Lucy blushing in my pocket! ;) Fantastic pic :) :thumbsup:

Jack that's a great photo of Lucy! :thumbsup: I hope you two have a great visit to the market! :D

Thanks a lot Ron :) I got some table cutlery, but no pocket knives I'm afraid :( :thumbsup:

Thanks, FBC. :)

Man, ain't that the truth! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: When we first started renting a cottage in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, we'd go up for a week. Not counting our trip up and back, that gave us 6 full days of vacation. The first few years, we probably averaged 4 day trips over those 6 days: go to Mackinac Island for a day, or a day for Tahquamenon Falls, or a day for Drummond Island, or a day for Sault Ste. Marie, or a day for Whitefish Point, or a day for Pictured Rocks, or a day for St. Ignace, etc. I'd be exhausted when we got home. Now we spend two weeks at the rented cottage and make maybe 2 day trips over the two weeks. Some years, I've only left the cottage/lakefront for morning walks and trips to library and grocery store. I come home feeling WAY more refreshed!

Sounds like the two of you had a fantastic time, John; welcome back! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Dwight. :)
Superb photo of some sumptuous stag! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Both hat and knife are top-shelf, Barry! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds like you're a speculative fiction author who plans ahead, Greg! :):cool::thumbsup:
In my haste to catch up, I apparently missed that first photo of a trio (among a bunch of other topics and pics I've seen referred to in other posts, but never noticed the originals). :(:rolleyes:

Paul, that's kind of the look I have on my face when I'm gazing at all the incredible pics of the Waynorth jigged bone lambsfoot, including yours! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Hi, Larry. Us! :D:D
And your knife is heavenly, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Your stag lambsfoot HHB is looking prim, prime, and pristine, Dennis! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Superb pics, Jack, :thumbsup::cool::cool: but I think now you're just messing with our minds! :eek:
Previously, you've set us up by showing pics of 2 different stag HHBs in the same post, and now you switch to 2 pics of the SAME stag HHB in a single post! I'm too old for such shenanigans! :rolleyes:

I enjoy your knife-in-the-grass photos, José; this one of your stag HHB is excellent! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Bill, you have smokin' hot stag on your Hartshead Barlow; great shot! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Greg, how is the horn on that knife doing? Is it quite stable now, or do you still experience seasonal changes? I admire your commitment to that one! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Astounding knife, Matt! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: We all know the real answer to "What more do I need?" is "Nothing." But looking at that knife, I wonder if the answer to "What more do I want?" ought to be the same!! :eek::rolleyes::D

Thanks for the info and the compliment, Greg. :):thumbsup: I'd never have thought about rosewood handles possibly being unsanitary because of their porosity! I think of myself as being quite "risk averse" because I don't drive fast, or drink and drive, or text and drive, or bungee jump, or jaywalk, or brawl in bar rooms. But I actually exhibit a lot of risky behavior when it comes to food safety: eating things of indeterminate age and provenance from the fridge, drinking "expired" milk, picking up ingredients off the floor and tossing them onto my plate or into the bowl, rinsing off utensils without obsessing much about potential "germs". :rolleyes:

That's a tremendous trio right there!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Congrats, Glenn! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Those composite covers kind of appeal to me for an all-business lambsfoot. ;)

Much appreciated, Jack. :)

Yeah, I don't know why that particular model has grabbed my attention in such a stranglehold! :rolleyes::D

Congrats, and welcome to the Guardians! :thumbsup::thumbsup::) You sure don't need the blade etch to know you've got the "real deal" when it comes to lambsfoots.

Quintessential Quintet, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Valley Jack with the tin it rode in on:
View attachment 1163667

- GT
Thanks for the comment "smoking hot Jack". Unfortunately, as with many stag handles the pile side is rather drab. I plan to fix it a bit with the help of Mr potassium permanganate. I promised myself to be careful and go slow

Ole Jack is a pretty nice feller! ;) :D

One of the best! :thumbsup::D

Thanks guys! :D :thumbsup:

Training yesterday started early...with a spectacular sunrise and Rosie in the picture.
IMG_1248.JPG

The training grounds, first the water. It's planned and laid out to give the most varied approaches and courses. Angled entries. Into one body and over land then into another section of water. Channels. Short swims, long swims. Islands. Way in the background, by the trees and to the left is a 'L' shaped channel pond.
IMG_1249.JPG

The hay field, it's right next to the water so both can be used in combination.
IMG_1250.JPG

It's a flat hay field with little elevation change. When they mow the hay, the owner has them leave strips of cover and some hay bales to add obstacles for the dogs on their way to the birds. They have another field with some different terrain and cover adjacent to the hay field, not pictured. We do train other places to give the dogs as much experience with different water and land as possible. It's not unusual to do retrieves on land and water of 300+ yards. In competition there will be multiple birds, dogs have to be able to remember the location of the falls because the bird throwers will go out of sight(retire). There are also blind retrieves, where the dog doesn't see the fall of the bird. Handlers have to use whistle and hand signals to direct the dog to the bird.
Here is a video of a dog running a water triple(three birds are thrown) in the seventh series of the National Amateur Championship. AKC Retriever Trials are not really spectator friendly, but this will give you an idea of what the pro trainer I help is trying to train the dogs to be competitive at.
Here is Rosie, watching over things!
IMG_1251.JPG

Sorry to hear that John, I do understand that. I have a real 'shaggy dog' story about a big one that got away from me. I'll not tell it here...maybe PM if you really want to hear it.

DDS went as well as could be expected. Yes, very rewarding, as well as fun.

Excellent photo/write up on the chip butty, Dylan, bet it tasted mighty good...as it looked!

Thanks for the photos showing the before and after. It sure does make a

That is fantastic Preston, I really enjoyed learning a bit more about what you and Dutch do, and that video is amazing :) Hope we get to see Dutch in action at some point :) Nice to see Rosie, and she's looking good my friend :) :thumbsup:

Well here's one you will like and @pjsjr Preston might like it too. It's a little VW split that is a record player. You set in on your record ( never a record that you value at all ) and it drives around the record and plays music. They were also known as " Vinyl killers" haha

48311709286_419eda29d1_h.jpg

A video that shows it in action.

LOL! :D So cool Kevin! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

I am amazed I still have this cadillac cigarette lighter, as I have had it since 1988 (and I stopped smoking 10 years before that)! :eek: It has a bit of a story attached to it, including a lot of craziness, and the daughter of the owner of one of America's most famous sports teams! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:

yKyMkJN.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - The Horn Lamb’s translucency is mesmerizing. Have fun going to market, to market.

Thanks Harvey, I had a good day, though the boys are beginning to expect me to buy them fish 'n' chips! :D :thumbsup:

Back