1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you Ed. I think this Oxhorn example demonstrates that Wright's (and other manufacturers) traditionally saved the best horn for the Mark side, and used plainer horn on the Pile side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the 2016 Guardians knives, I asked them to use their best horn on both sides of the knife, which they not only thought extravagant, but rather odd. In retrospect, it might have been a mistake as it has led to them having to do the same with other knives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With stag it's traditionally been the same, as you say, but then everyone has their own tastes in stag, while one man likes popcorn, another likes smooth, and while one likes dark stag, another prefers light. The cutlers have no idea of course. In the case of the Hartshead Barlows, the Sambar stag (which is no longer available in England due to the Indian Government's export ban) is vintage material, cut decades ago for steak knife hafts. Employing someone to try and match pieces of it would increase costs hugely, and create a large amount of waste. Even then, those cutlers have no idea of the standards someone on a knife forum might want, or what their individual tastes are. I imagine they try their best.

I have noticed, with regard to all patterns, that some folks seem to confuse the standards one might apply to a custom-made knife to factory-made knives, something which is just unrealistic, since custom knives cost many times more, and are made to match the specific tastes of the customer. For those with very specific tastes in stag, or who are dissatisfied with the standard of factory-made knives, I would suggest that the custom route is the way to go (that or moderate your expectations). Mr John Lloyd, for example, does excellent stag, well-matched I am sure, and he has also made Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Reaper AL

Reaper AL Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 28, 2019
    E4C3D220-85BB-4CD9-A40D-B92E016DF586.jpeg Good morning guardians starting the day of turning these little babies into breakfast home fries with the help of this lambsfoot

3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Much as I enjoy this sort of conversation, you guys know that this is not the place for a protracted off-topic discussion without any knife content. Christian, try Google, it'll tell you all you need to know - and with pictures! :thumbsup:

4. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    A good day of Saturday Guardians.:):thumbsup:

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks Dennis, I do not really like this color, I like the stag more like yours, (for example) more brown!;):thumbsup:

mitch4ging likes this.
  6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012

7. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012

8. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    I hate to have to delete Diana Rigg.
    Who started this Theatre of Blood stuff in the lambsfoot thread?:D
    [​IMG]

9. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Jack, thanks for your comments as always. It's not that I'm unhappy with any knife I own. It was just a general observation regarding many knifes I've seen.

10. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    I'll catch up on 18 pages of thread sometime today, but the meantime.:cool:
    [​IMG]

11. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    Jack, your post here really helps my understanding of knife manufacture. Being new to knife collecting I often have questions that I'm sure are common knowledge with the seasoned collectors. I appreciate the many fine comments to my sometimes sophomoric questions.

[​IMG]

12. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    I never caught that! Cool point, thanks for bringing that out!

Good morning Jack, et al!:):thumbsup:

13. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    Good morning all. Getting a jump on cutting suckers from the trees in my yard before the heat gets too bad. My favorite knife at the ever ready. Glorious summer day.
    IMG_1259.JPG

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, OLd_gUY, Pt-Luso and 18 others like this.
  14. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Good morning Guardians, hope you all have a great Saturday. I'm heading to the range in a little while. Going to take a few of my favorite things:D:thumbsup::D
    [​IMG]

15. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    A quick shot ( sorry for the pun, Preston :D) to get going out the door...
    20190720_081527-2706x1085.jpg

16. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Those would most definitely be a few of my favorite things. :cool:

Have a great weekend all IMG_0016.jpeg

17. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks a lot, Matt!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:Thanks Jack!

Thanks Harvey. I look forward to seeing them all together.:thumbsup:

Great shot Jack! I would love to have a look through that book.

Kind of you to say Jose, thank you!

Thank you sir!:thumbsup:

Thanks Gary.;) Yes, the bolster is the tell but hard to notice if you're not looking for it.

Beautiful photo! What a knife!:cool:

@Cambertree -Apparently lost a couple quotes for you. Thanks for the specific recommendations on the sable brush with regards to adding color with PP as well as the buffing with leather. I will try both. I generally try to avoid the 'high spots" or lighter areas of Stag while adding color to the low or dark spots as I appreciate the contrast. I think a small brush would help to be more precise. I will be sure to borrow one of my wife's brushes that she is ok with not getting back.:)
    Always enjoy reading your posts and your great photos, my friend. Hope you have a splendid weekend!:thumbsup:

I'm sure I have posted this pic before but I like it so here it goes again.
    Have a great weekend Jack and all the Guardians!;)
    [​IMG]

18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Your Lamb is "Over the moon", David. :)

Hope you have lots of fun, PJ. :)

You need more coffee, Dennis. ;)

Interesting perspective, Dwight. I like it. :)

mitch4ging, pjsjr, donn and 3 others like this.
  19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Good Morning Guardians
    I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this one...
    [​IMG]

20. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Good morning, Guardians.
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, OLd_gUY, Pt-Luso and 20 others like this.