Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

That's a generous offer Jack. I think some people who are newer to traditionals don't realize that the Mark side of a knife is the presentation side of the knife. As a result, some manufactures will put a very nice piece of stag on the Mark side with a lesser piece of stag on the Pile side. It wasn't long ago that some manufactures polished the Mark side of the blade and left a satin finish on the Pile side.

Thank you Ed. I think this Oxhorn example demonstrates that Wright's (and other manufacturers) traditionally saved the best horn for the Mark side, and used plainer horn on the Pile side.

B3ZcrBq.jpg

at9rmd2.jpg

With the 2016 Guardians knives, I asked them to use their best horn on both sides of the knife, which they not only thought extravagant, but rather odd. In retrospect, it might have been a mistake as it has led to them having to do the same with other knives.

f8hEXiF.jpg

fcDwEpJ.jpg

With stag it's traditionally been the same, as you say, but then everyone has their own tastes in stag, while one man likes popcorn, another likes smooth, and while one likes dark stag, another prefers light. The cutlers have no idea of course. In the case of the Hartshead Barlows, the Sambar stag (which is no longer available in England due to the Indian Government's export ban) is vintage material, cut decades ago for steak knife hafts. Employing someone to try and match pieces of it would increase costs hugely, and create a large amount of waste. Even then, those cutlers have no idea of the standards someone on a knife forum might want, or what their individual tastes are. I imagine they try their best.

I have noticed, with regard to all patterns, that some folks seem to confuse the standards one might apply to a custom-made knife to factory-made knives, something which is just unrealistic, since custom knives cost many times more, and are made to match the specific tastes of the customer. For those with very specific tastes in stag, or who are dissatisfied with the standard of factory-made knives, I would suggest that the custom route is the way to go (that or moderate your expectations). Mr John Lloyd, for example, does excellent stag, well-matched I am sure, and he has also made Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm probably dating myself, but "Who?"

Edited to add: I think I recognize Vincent Price from The Ten Commandments. I still have no idea who Diana Rigg is though.

I believe you have Vincent mixed up with Charlton Heston, Diana Rigg played in a TV show called the Avengers :D WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE say no more.;)
WOW-diana-rigg-22873698-400-400.jpg

Vincent Price was in The Ten Commandments. I think he was active mostly from the 1940s through the 1960s, and probably most active in the 1950s. The Fly is another famous film of his. And he did a lot of Edgar Allan Poe films. You should check him out.
I know Diana Rigg from the 1960s' British television series The Avengers. The was John Steed's partner for two seasons--the best two seasons. My wife bought me the complete Emma Peel ("M[an] appeal") episodes (her character's name). The show was sort of a spy/science fiction series, kind of strange, but very entertaining.

Price was in it too, I think. One of the bad guys, along with Edward G. Robinson.

Your right Vince he did play in The Ten Commandments.:thumbsup::D

I don't recognize her. What superpower did she have? :confused:

:D

Umm...that was Jeff Goldblum. ;)

My guess Dave, is that he might be thinking of Edward G. Robinson.

Kinda like a dream catcher for most of the young men in those days. :rolleyes:

No, that was a stupid remake. Last good actor still alive is Clint Eastwood.

haha, your part of the Get off my lawn! gang! :thumbsup::p

No, I meant Vincent Price. Edward G. Robinson and him were both in The Ten Commandments. Price was the Egyptian master builder. Robinson was the lecher.

I'm sensing a bit of an age gap here. When I think of the Avengers I think of this -

48326963347_eb318457f4_c.jpg

She loves sharps. I wonder if she would have liked the lambsfoot?

I’m practically old enough to be there,:) but you knew better. Thank you.

Much as I enjoy this sort of conversation, you guys know that this is not the place for a protracted off-topic discussion without any knife content. Christian, try Google, it'll tell you all you need to know - and with pictures! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Perhaps this is something you should raise, by PM, with whoever sold you that knife Bill? If you're not happy with it, I imagine they will gladly refund what you paid for it. If not, please contact me, and I'll buy it off you. I'm sure one of the custom makers could make you something with those trophy antlers :thumbsup:
Jack, thanks for your comments as always. It's not that I'm unhappy with any knife I own. It was just a general observation regarding many knifes I've seen.

Thank you Ed. I think this Oxhorn example demonstrates that.

B3ZcrBq.jpg

at9rmd2.jpg

Wright's (and other manufacturers) traditionally saved the best horn for the Mark side, and used plainer horn on the Pile side.

With the 2016 Guardians knives, I asked them to use their best horn on both sides of the knife, which they not only thought extravagant, but rather odd. In retrospect, it might have been a mistake as it has led to them having to do the same with other knives.

f8hEXiF.jpg

fcDwEpJ.jpg

With stag it's traditionally been the same, as you say, but then everyone has their own tastes in stag, while one man likes popcorn, another likes smooth, and while one likes dark stag, another prefers light. The cutlers have no idea of course. In the case of the Hartshead Barlows, the Sambar stag (which is no longer available in England due to the Indian Government's export ban) is vintage material, cut decades ago for steak knife hafts. Employing someone to try and match pieces of it would increase costs hugely, and create a large amount of waste. Even then, those cutlers have no idea of the standards someone on a knife forum might want, or what their individual tastes are. I imagine they try their best.

I have noticed, with regard to all patterns, that some folks seem to confuse the standards one might apply to a custom-made knife to factory-made knives, something which is just unrealistic, since custom knives cost many times more, and are made to match the specific tastes of the customer. For those with very specific tastes in stag, or who are dissatisfied with the standard of factory-made knives, I would suggest that the custom route is the way to go (that or moderate your expectations). Mr John Lloyd, for example, does excellent stag, well-matched I am sure, and he has also made Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:
Jack, your post here really helps my understanding of knife manufacture. Being new to knife collecting I often have questions that I'm sure are common knowledge with the seasoned collectors. I appreciate the many fine comments to my sometimes sophomoric questions.

58446FEB-0CBC-43B6-ACD0-1FB8EC220F33_zpsiq33rmv5.jpeg

That's a generous offer Jack. I think some people who are newer to traditionals don't realize that the Mark side of a knife is the presentation side of the knife. As a result, some manufactures will put a very nice piece of stag on the Mark side with a lesser piece of stag on the Pile side. It wasn't long ago that some manufactures polished the Mark side of the blade and left a satin finish on the Pile side.

Thank you Ed. I think this Oxhorn example demonstrates that.

B3ZcrBq.jpg

at9rmd2.jpg

Wright's (and other manufacturers) traditionally saved the best horn for the Mark side, and used plainer horn on the Pile side.

f8hEXiF.jpg

fcDwEpJ.jpg

I never caught that! Cool point, thanks for bringing that out!

Good morning Jack, et al!:):thumbsup:

Great pic!
Thanks a lot, Matt!:thumbsup:

Thanks Jer :D Unfortunately, I have gifted folks the same thing more than once due to my poor memory :rolleyes:

Thanks pal, the Gilpin was given to me by@scruffUK, who not only cleaned and polished it, but re-hafted it :) He also made me a small leather mask to protect the edge :thumbsup: I come across quite a lot of axes and hatchets myself (including a larger Gilpin at the weekend, but that was in an antiques centre, and it was expensive), and have gifted most of them to friends and neighbours. I see a lot with mushroomed polls too though :(

But definitely keep it away from nitric acid! :eek: :thumbsup:

I do love an oggie :) :thumbsup:

I'm definitely saving your recipe Chin, it looks marvellous :) Fantastic Lambsfoot content too ;) :thumbsup:

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

It's packaged up, and will be on its way soon Dennis :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Mark, excellent pic of your '19 :) :thumbsup:

Sounds like you make a great team Bill :) :thumbsup:

Great pic :) :thumbsup:

Glad you're having a great time John, thanks for taking us along :) :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:Thanks Jack!

mitch4ging mitch4ging Thank you Dennis. Anything worn that is comfortable, is something I would be loath to discard. Your biggest compass image is a fine one.

Jack Black Jack Black Thank you Jack. That older two bladed Lamb Image is rip roaring nice. That older TEW double bladed Barlow is a honey.

@dc50 So glad you’re safe Dave. Always a pleasure seeing your Guardian Ebony.

@Cambertree If you wrote a Bog, I would subscribe to it. Very enjoyable. As there are so many beautiful Lambsfoot knives, so are there some vey fine writers here.

That image with the Lambsfoot on top of the veggies is brilliant.

Ramrodmb Ramrodmb I will do so as soon as possible. Thank you for asking, Mark. Great look at your Ironwood Lambsfoot.

JohnDF JohnDF enjoyed seeing a bit of your fishing exploits, John.

@Prester John Loved your humerous Lambsfoot and Man’s best friend image, Vince.

@Foddering your Waynorth image is a fine one, Dwight.

God Morning Guardians.
View attachment 1161829
Thanks Harvey. I look forward to seeing them all together.:thumbsup:

Very true brother :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Harvey, you just reminded me, I need to dig it out and take a comparison pic with my Hartshead Barlow :) I think Rob managed to find a second model too, great finds :) :thumbsup:

3BkgdCh.jpg

@Cambertree very kindly brought me this superb book from Australia :) :thumbsup:

Scrumptious pic Harvey! :) :thumbsup:

A most enjoyable post Dylan, looks like you've got green fingers (as we say here) :) :thumbsup:

That's great to hear Bill :) :thumbsup:

Taking this photo was certainly memorable Harvey, I had to sneak through a gate onto a private parking lot, jog across the lot, scramble up a steep bank, and pull myself up on a fence in order to get a shot opposite the TEW works! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

1GT8mXI.jpg
Great shot Jack! I would love to have a look through that book.

Good photo Mark, great Ironwood!;):thumbsup:
Kind of you to say Jose, thank you!

So do i.!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you sir!:thumbsup:

Paul, I remember that (with none of the stolen car info at that time :eek:), but for some reason I got confused and thought you were talking about your horn Guardians knife. :rolleyes:

Exactly, Vince. :thumbsup::thumbsup: (And, of course, it only takes 4 cuts to do it. :cool:)

Thanks, Dave, but you must be thinking of someone else. ;)
SPAMbrosia, eh?? :p:cool:

Union Jack and I belatedly thank you for your attention, Dennis! :)

Your replies are much appreciated, Jack. :)

Thanks, Jack, but probably more accurate to use "had" rather than "have". ;):thumbsup:

Inertia isn't necessarily a bad thing, Jack, if it leads to another day with that blessed pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Mark, for the Union Jack props and for gently correcting me on misidentifying one of your ironwoods. :):thumbsup: (The bolster should have tipped me off! :eek:) Splendid pic of your diverse pair of 2019 Guardians lambsfoots! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another striking pair of very distinguished ironwood lambsfoots! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Dwight, I'm still hoping to get at least 2 full months of summer yet. (Intense pop-up downpour right now - oops, done already!) I hope Union Jack doesn't feel the need to try to improve on his God-given body that's already a work of art! ;)

Your stag lambsfoot HHB is looking very handsome, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats, AL!! :cool::cool::thumbsup: You must be a fast learner to find a way to come up with that glorious pair after only a couple of months on The Porch!! :)

Very cool time travel story, Greg! ;):cool::cool: (Thinking about time travel always makes my head hurt, though. :rolleyes:)

Hook 'em, Horn! ;) Great horn on that lambsfoot, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

First-rate flock, OG! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the interesting and, to me, surprising comparison, David. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

W:eek:W, Barrett, in your fishing terms, I'd say you caught yourself a couple of trophy bunkers there!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Chin, thanks for the photos of those exquisite Waynorth jigged bone lambsfoots, and for the rundown on Australian Guardians!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
The meat pie info was also very interesting, including the photo of Rob the Butcher's wares. I'll soon be going on vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and a "signature food" of that region is pasties, both Cornish and Finnish (one includes carrots, one doesn't, but I don't remember which is which). Looks like Rob has them, and I'd recommend them! :thumbsup::thumbsup: The Yoopers (residents of the U. P.) say they should be served with only ketchup as a "topping", although they usually offer gravy for tourists.

Thanks for giving us a little peek at where you are, John. :cool::cool: Hope you have a positively memorable time there! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Lambsfoot of the Week is Valley Jack, my 2019 Guardians ironwood lambsfoot:
View attachment 1162420

- GT
Thanks Gary.;) Yes, the bolster is the tell but hard to notice if you're not looking for it.

More Valley Jack from cooler days:
View attachment 1163868

- GT
Beautiful photo! What a knife!:cool:

@Cambertree -Apparently lost a couple quotes for you. Thanks for the specific recommendations on the sable brush with regards to adding color with PP as well as the buffing with leather. I will try both. I generally try to avoid the 'high spots" or lighter areas of Stag while adding color to the low or dark spots as I appreciate the contrast. I think a small brush would help to be more precise. I will be sure to borrow one of my wife's brushes that she is ok with not getting back.:)
Always enjoy reading your posts and your great photos, my friend. Hope you have a splendid weekend!:thumbsup:

I'm sure I have posted this pic before but I like it so here it goes again.
Have a great weekend Jack and all the Guardians!;)
33rQF2s.jpg

I'll catch up on 18 pages of thread sometime today, but the meantime.:cool:
0mwTpzM.jpg
Your Lamb is "Over the moon", David. :)

Good morning Guardians, hope you all have a great Saturday. I'm heading to the range in a little while. Going to take a few of my favorite things:D:thumbsup::D
IMG_1259.JPG
Hope you have lots of fun, PJ. :)

A quick shot ( sorry for the pun, Preston :D) to get going out the door...
View attachment 1164762
You need more coffee, Dennis. ;)

Have a great weekend all
View attachment 1164763
Interesting perspective, Dwight. I like it. :)

Back