Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Much as I enjoy this sort of conversation, you guys know that this is not the place for a protracted off-topic discussion without any knife content. Christian, try Google, it'll tell you all you need to know - and with pictures! :thumbsup:

Come on guys! This is the second time, in a pretty short span of time, that folks needed this reminder.
I know this kind of post is not Jack's favorite thing to do. Not mine either, but it's my task. Let's keep some Lambsfoot knife content, please.

With the 2016 Guardians knives, I asked them to use their best horn on both sides of the knife, which they not only thought extravagant, but rather odd. In retrospect, it might have been a mistake as it has led to them having to do the same with other knives.

Are they doing that with their regular knives as well Jack? Surely that can be considered an improvement as long as they have increased prices to account for their increased costs.

I have noticed, with regard to all patterns, that some folks seem to confuse the standards one might apply to a custom-made knife to factory-made knives, something which is just unrealistic, since custom knives cost many times more, and are made to match the specific tastes of the customer. For those with very specific tastes in stag, or who are dissatisfied with the standard of factory-made knives, I would suggest that the custom route is the way to go (that or moderate your expectations). Mr John Lloyd, for example, does excellent stag, well-matched I am sure, and he has also made Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:

I think part of the issue is the renewed interest in slipjoints. There are some who are true connoisseurs, familiar with them and their idiosyncracies. Then there are those who are new to the type, and may not know that stag and other natural materials have their limitations. They think stag premium because of the higher prices asked for stag covered knives, but that's simply a reflection of the higher costs spent on the raw material. They aren't aware that the really premium stuff is limited in availability. Furthermore, it isn't simply a matter of having good stuff. The skill to properly haft stag has mostly been lost.

Last edited:
96842BF2-5B10-461C-A09B-783390E022D0_zpsrmfoxxzo.jpeg

Has anyone ever seen an old lambfoot that was properly maintained? I ask because I just tipped my rosewood Wright's. The loss of material is miniscule, a person looking at the blade for the first time might think it came that way from the factory, but it's there and it happened on my watch. Maybe it's because I like a fine edge (a fine edge comes with a fine point), but I hope the old rounded lambfoot isn't inevitable.

Has anyone ever seen an old lambfoot that was properly maintained? I ask because I just tipped my rosewood Wright's. The loss of material is miniscule, a person looking at the blade for the first time might think it came that way from the factory, but it's there and it happened on my watch. Maybe it's because I like a fine edge (a fine edge comes with a fine point), but I hope the old rounded lambfoot isn't inevitable.

Go back to page 1270, post 25382 of this thread and read how dc50 dc50 broke the tip of his knife and read further on to see various remedies people offered.

Whatever you do, don't try to reestablish the point by trying to take material from the sharpened edge of the blade. Instead, remove metal from the spine/back edge of the point.

Whatever you do, don't try to reestablish the point by trying to take material from the sharpened edge of the blade. Instead, remove metal from the spine/back edge of the point.

No way, that's such a rookie move. ;)

I'm using this knife as it was intended to be used, as an inexpensive cutting tool. My other, more glamorous knives get doted on. This one will be treated like an English sodbuster -- use, dull, sharpen, repeat. As long as the damage isn't too bad I'll work around it. Doing otherwise would just waste precious steel.

I’m afraid my phrasing was misleading. There was just the one photo of the trio. I meant that I’d considered “The three amigos” before settling on “one for all, all for one” for the caption.

Thanks for asking. It’s been more stable so far this year. I don’t know whether that is from the conditioning with my wood balm, our atypical weather this spring, its age, or just plain luck. I’ll keep you posted.
So, you could say you’ve become their chip buddy? Sorry, couldn’t resist. :D
Thanks for the clarification, Greg. :) I actually understood the naming reference, I somehow managed to miss the single photo itself. Haste makes waste, I fear! :(
Thanks for the horn update, too. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: The Horn on my 2017 Guardians lambsfoot is near-perfect here in humid July, but I think it shrinks in the dry cold of Michigan winter.
"Chip Buddy": Resistance is futile! :p:thumbsup:

But Gary, Soylent Green is people, but Spam is just pork shoulder and ham. :D
Thanks, Vince. :) I often forget to read the labels for ingredients. :rolleyes:

Thanks Gary, great post :D And a great pic of your Valley Jack :) :thumbsup:
Thank you GT, but I often think the same about you, and I know I am not alone in that. I think someone once said that they couldn't imagine a knife that you wouldn't like :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack; Valley Jack is VERY photogenic, doubly so because of his two different, but both appealing, sides. :)
I have to admit that, while I rejoice with others over their enjoyment of almost any knife, a LOT of those knives are probably not my personal "cup of tea". :rolleyes:
I think it's rather shameful the way Lucy snuggles up to that poor celibate Monk, showing off her charms. :eek::p

My interests only vary so much. It's either Sci-Fi, Cowboy stuff, Jeeps, or Fishing. :D
Don't forget knives and family, John! ;):thumbsup: All those interests must keep you BUSY!

In probably the most generous act of kindness I've seen on The porch, Modoc ED Modoc ED gifted me his own Waynorth Lamb. I mean, these knives are fetching a pretty good sum on the market and are highly sought after. I thought he was crazy for doing it, but I appreciate it so much. ED, I cannot even begin to thank you enough for your generosity and kindness. You are all that is good about the forum and the Guardians in particular.

Everybody... Three Cheers for ED. :cool::thumbsup:

There were other goodies in the gift box, but I'll post about those on the main forum (not Lambsfoot).
As I said in your other related thread, John, congrats and it's hard for me to imagine a more fitting recipient! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:
Boola! Boola! Boola! to ED for his thoughtful beneficence!! :):thumbsup::cool::cool:

I'm sure I could think of something, but I believe it would probably look best unmarked.

You northerners aren't used to hot weather like that. Remember to stay hydrated!
I need to take some new pictures of the patinaed bolsters this weekend.
b1YwDiR.jpg

I forgot that you are not only talented in the art of scrimshaw, but also quite a fan of unmarked smooth white bone handles! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the hot advice! ;):cool::cool:
Cool pic: the shadows on the rosewood handle of your HHB look sort of like a random scripting pattern! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Valley Jack has so much character, GT.
I appreciate your saying so, Harvey. :)

And, now, before Jack's alarm goes off I better post a lambsfoot.....View attachment 1164070
Dwight, your "little black lambsfoot" is just a picture of elegance and distinction! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you for the kind words, Gary! Actually, you my biggest influence when I first joined the forum! I was impressed how you were able to say something kind about so many posts!:):thumbsup:...
Thanks, Gary! She's scared, but she's a great carry!:cool::thumbsup:
A positively premium pronouncements, Gary! Many prfm .....Thanks! :D:thumbsup:

Ah, a Lambsfoot on a Hot Tin Lid?:p Such a great valley lamb, and a great perspective!:thumbsup:
Dennis, I'm honored that you were influenced by me in the way you post here. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Now the tables are turned! :rolleyes::cool::cool:
I'm glad you kept that blond horn knife with its blemish instead of returning it! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for your compliment on my Valley Jack, here and in your following post. :)

Cooler days coming...eventually...:( But a nice photo Gary!
vTQ8jsD.jpg
The bold "chevron" feathering on your big horn lambsfoot is noteworthy, Dennis! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Morning folks, raining here today, but I'm not too bothered, been a good week, and now it's Friday :) :thumbsup:

cX2LG1i.jpg
Black Power, Jack!! ;):cool::thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians.:):thumbsup:

5khmih.jpg
The bolsters on your HHB are such a bonus, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

... Lastly, it is amazing to finally have an EBONY Lambsfoot. Jack can go ahead and pick whatever covers he wants next year now. ;) :p :D

I enjoy your ebullience over your ebony lambsfoot, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:;)

That's one very Fancy Dancer, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Have a great weekend Guardians.View attachment 1164276
Imposing, immaculate ironwood, Dwight, and an inviting photo! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Valley Jack claims that I must post a pic of him EVERY day he's carried, even if it's 7 consecutive days :rolleyes:. I'll teach him who's boss by posting "warm" and "noir" filtered photos!
VJ.mark.Vopen.limb.dramwarm.jpg
VJ.mark.Vopen.limb.noir.jpg

- GT

I think part of the issue is the renewed interest in slipjoints. There are some who are true connoisseurs, familiar with them and their idiosyncracies. Then there are those who are new to the type, and may not know that stag and other natural materials have their limitations. They think stag premium because of the higher prices asked for stag covered knives, but that's simply a reflection of the higher costs spent on the raw material. They aren't aware that the really premium stuff is limited in availability. Furthermore, it isn't simply a matter of having good stuff. The skill to properly haft stag has mostly been lost.
I also think that a lot of the newer traditional knife buyers are coming from a modern knife background. They are used to well-matched and machined parts, they are not accustomed to old world production techniques and the other attributes of slip joint knives. Many of us here are older and grew up with slip joint knives, we know what to expect and accept when we inspect. :D

Don't forget knives and family, John! ;):thumbsup:
Faith and Family go without saying, although perhaps they could be mentioned more often... Knives are a given around here. :D

t's hard for me to imagine a more fitting recipient!
Thanks for those kind words, GT. :)

I enjoy your ebullience over your ebony lambsfoot, John!
Thanks again... :)

I love that black and white image. Very artistic. :cool::thumbsup:

Evening Guardians - that is what it is here now anyway! ;) I have been over in the Huddersfield area with @ADEE today, and we had a pleasant time, including a visit to the market, and also to a small local antiques fair :) Thought I'd carry stag for Saturday :thumbsup:

EXLhqTd.jpg

Evening Guardians - that is what it is here now anyway! ;) I have been over in the Huddersfield area with @ADEE today, and we had a pleasant time, including a visit to the market, and also to a small local antiques fair :) Thought I'd carry stag for Saturday :thumbsup:

EXLhqTd.jpg
Good evening, Jack, it looks like there is a wee bit of patina on the blade. :) two more tornados yesterday farther South this time.:eek:

Jack Black Jack Black Thanks for the luscious look at your tea time treats, which includes the other images.

Thank you Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack I will pass it on.:)

No, it was actually Linda:p

Have a good one Jack. :thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Dave, say Hi to Linda for me! :) :thumbsup:

I know what you mean. I have 4 going right now. :D

View attachment 1164496

I hope you enjoy that one Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Looks like a great Friday carry, Jack!:cool::thumbsup:

Cell phones are an incredible thing, but they do have limitations! There's an old saying:
"It's a hard way to go, but a good way to know, the way the old folks done it".
I guess that certainly applies today, so many young folks can't navigate, start a camp fire or change a spare tire.

I like that shot, José! Nice coloring brought out on the covers.:thumbsup:

Sounds like a real "Thriller"!:D
Thankfully, what you can't see is me doing my best imitation of Michael Jackson's dancing wearing only my boxers!:eek::p

Love this knife!
N3fB1tk.jpg

Thanks Dennis, nice pic of your Hartshead :) :thumbsup:

Used this slicer in the kitchen today! WOW this thing is amazing!!!!
x4Tnj3T.jpg

And a looker too! :) :thumbsup:

Gotta edit out that modern knife quick!

Oh no Dennis! :eek: @mitch4ging Jack’s going to have a look on his face very similar to Vincent Price when he wakes up in the morning! ;)

Thanks, Ron!
I copied the wrong one out at Imgur!
I really REALLY think it's bedtime!:mad::(:rolleyes:

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black , great Friday adventure and photos!

Thank you Dennis :thumbsup:

let's add a little Lambsfoot content to keep us on the straight and narrow. :)
View attachment 1164600

Bout time! :rolleyes: Thank you Dave, those two look good together :thumbsup:

Indeed!
Nice way to bump us back!
An old chunk of driftwood...
thxCuUf.jpg

Love that patina Dennis :cool: :thumbsup:

Back