Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Do you know how to pick a good nectarine?

Nectarines are one of my favorite fruits, behind only mangoes and red seedless grapes. For the longest time I was clueless on how to pick them. Sometimes I would get a sweet, juicy gem, while others left me unsatisfied.

A while back a kind lass at the local Farmers' Market taught me The Secret. She told me to leave the beautiful, gleaming fruit for those obsessed with the superficial and to instead choose their freckled kin. It seems that the freckles on nectarines, much like the freckles on a human's skin, are sun spots. These spots are indications that the nectarine has had more sun exposure, which causes the nectarine to build more sugars, making it sweeter.

Guess which knife I'll be using on this bunch? None other than my WCLF of course. The long, slim blade is perfect for the task, whether it's quartering a freestone or slicing pieces off a clingstone.

48346935576_eb6c9e7f30_b.jpg

You’re definitely running in 1st Place in the Patina race! :thumbsup: :D
:):thumbsup:

Nectarines are one of my favorite fruits, behind only mangoes and red seedless grapes. For the longest time I was clueless on how to pick them. Sometimes I would get a sweet, juicy gem, while others left me unsatisfied.

A while back a kind lass at the local Farmers' Market taught me The Secret. She told me to leave the beautiful, gleaming fruit for those obsessed with the superficial and to instead choose their freckled kin. It seems that the freckles on nectarines, much like the freckles on a human's skin, are sun spots. These spots are indications that the nectarine has had more sun exposure, which causes the nectarine to build more sugars, making it sweeter.

Guess which knife I'll be using on this bunch? None other than my WCLF of course. The long, slim blade is perfect for the task, whether it's quartering a freestone or slicing pieces off a clingstone.

Thanks for the tip on picking good nectarines. (I suppose this applies to plums, peaches, pluots, etc?)

I predict you're going to win the patina race very soon. :cool::thumbsup:

......................Super fine Mark. What are those flowers? Cone?

Have a great week Guardians.View attachment 1166081
Thanks Dwight! Yes sir. Wondrous Echinacea! ;)
I must have lost a quote last week where I praised the wide angle photos that showed some of your beautiful "yard". I enjoyed seeing more of your photo backdrop lab.:thumbsup:

This tip works on peaches as well. After all, a nectarine is nothing more than a bald peach. I don't know if it applies to other stone fruits.
Also applies to Jalapenos and other peppers with heat. If you're looking for hot. (stretchmarks)
5LZYKOP.jpg

Vince, I’ll say your a man of your word! :thumbsup: I like fried Spam sandwiches. I love peanut butter sandwiches too. I like Tang and I eat bananas all the time. I’m going to be honest with y’all! I’m afraid to try one of these concoctions for fear that I’ll like it! :eek: Your trusty Lambsfoot was up to the challenge! :thumbsup:
Well, it wasn't bad at all, but my wife and kids think I'm crazy!

Good morning, Guardians!
Td8VZV6.jpg

Wow, all these great photo's, all this time I have been carrying my lovely A C Stag Lambsfoot- Thank you again Jack my friend- what a great Knife!
Yours looks awesome! Great photo!!!

I'm glad you're enjoying carrying it Duncan :) Thanks my friend, I'm afraid it's a recycled pic though ;) :thumbsup:

Great pic John, that's a nice Lambsfoot, and a nice shaving set-up :thumbsup:

A good Monday morning to all.:thumbsup:
V88RCwE.jpg

Stunning pic Mark :) :thumbsup:

Jack your AC is always a beauty my friend! Great photo that highlights the fantastic stag! :) :thumbsup:

I’m carrying this Ebony beauty from Charlie today! :thumbsup: :D

48346802336_457a7e9af7_b_d.jpg

Thanks buddy, gorgeous ebony WCLF :) :thumbsup:

Smashing pic Christian, and that's a great tip :) It also reminded me I had some nectarines in the kitchen, so I'm eating one right now! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack and you too! Gorgeous AC stag.

Super fine Mark. What are those flowers? Cone?

Have a great week Guardians.View attachment 1166081

Thanks Dwight, great pic of your DamLamb :) :thumbsup:

Wow, that's a fantastic photo Mark, I love the grain on your '19 :cool: :thumbsup:

Well, it wasn't bad at all, but my wife and kids think I'm crazy!

Good morning, Guardians!
Td8VZV6.jpg

I reckon that's probably true of most of us Vince! :D Great to see those 4 together, superb pic my friend :thumbsup:

Cool pic Christian :D :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Always nice to see your AC.

Thanks Harvey, I really like the AC, for once there was no mischief with Wright's, and I think every one of them was great :) The only one that had a slight flaw was mine, which has a slightly proud tip :) :thumbsup:

o03OZlj.jpg

My week got off to a great start - I received not just one, but two gift packages from generous Guardians :) :thumbsup:

I think my neighbours must have heard me laughing when I opened the parcel @paulhilborn sent me! :D What a fantastic surprise :) It even has a working bell :cool: :thumbsup:

BPLigJw.jpg

There was also a very classy cutlery item, which I'll post in the EDC thread ;)

I'll be chewing over where to hang Paul (and Nanc)'s gift, with these, which Prester John Prester John kindly sent me, along with a very cool postcard :) :thumbsup:

wTbf6eX.jpg

Thank you so much guys, I'm really touched by your kindness :) I hope everyone else's week got off to a great start :) :thumbsup:

Ugh... I am hopelessly behind here (almost 500 posts I think...), I will need to find the time to get caught up proper when I have a bit more to spare.

In the meantime, I wish you all a good day and hope that you all had a wonderful weekend.

Charlie's Jigged has been a rather constant companion. So constant that my other knives have been rather neglected. It is starting to show a rather wonderful patina though, the bolsters, liners, and backspring are beginning to darken.

xdrWuCw.jpg

Something that I was thinking about today: I have quite an assortment of Lambsfoot knives now but the one that I currently lack is Wright's Big 'Un. I am not sure how the Waynorth Lamb compares in terms of size but I have very much enjoyed the dimensions. The longer blade gives me more versatility in the cuts I can make, especially when preparing food, but I don't feel put out by the additional length. In fact, I have a knife that can operate like a big knife as well as a small knife and that is something rather remarkable. In my opinion, of course.

Some comparison shots of what is representative in my current collection:

ykXAYoo.jpg

kHBO2rn.jpg

Ugh... I am hopelessly behind here (almost 500 posts I think...), I will need to find the time to get caught up proper when I have a bit more to spare.

In the meantime, I wish you all a good day and hope that you all had a wonderful weekend.

Charlie's Jigged has been a rather constant companion. So constant that my other knives have been rather neglected. It is starting to show a rather wonderful patina though, the bolsters, liners, and backspring are beginning to darken.

xdrWuCw.jpg

Something that I was thinking about today: I have quite an assortment of Lambsfoot knives now but the one that I currently lack is Wright's Big 'Un. I am not sure how the Waynorth Lamb compares in terms of size but I have very much enjoyed the dimensions. The longer blade gives me more versatility in the cuts I can make, especially when preparing food, but I don't feel put out by the additional length. In fact, I have a knife that can operate like a big knife as well as a small knife and that is something rather remarkable. In my opinion, of course.

Some comparison shots of what is representative in my current collection:

ykXAYoo.jpg

kHBO2rn.jpg

Great to see you here Dylan, your Waynorth Lambsfoot is looking good my friend :)

I just ran and took a quick comparison pic for you with a Big 'Un :thumbsup:

28048I7.jpg

Nice pics there, I like the look of the ebony on what I think was your first Lambsfoot, if I remember correctly, it looks like wood that has been in a fire :cool: :thumbsup:

Back