1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    !!! Dang double post! :rolleyes:

JohnDF and Fodderwing like this.
  2. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Do you know how to pick a good nectarine?

Nectarines are one of my favorite fruits, behind only mangoes and red seedless grapes. For the longest time I was clueless on how to pick them. Sometimes I would get a sweet, juicy gem, while others left me unsatisfied.

A while back a kind lass at the local Farmers' Market taught me The Secret. She told me to leave the beautiful, gleaming fruit for those obsessed with the superficial and to instead choose their freckled kin. It seems that the freckles on nectarines, much like the freckles on a human's skin, are sun spots. These spots are indications that the nectarine has had more sun exposure, which causes the nectarine to build more sugars, making it sweeter.

Guess which knife I'll be using on this bunch? None other than my WCLF of course. The long, slim blade is perfect for the task, whether it's quartering a freestone or slicing pieces off a clingstone.

[​IMG]

3. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you Dennis. I see your lamb still has the cool pattern of patina.

Thanks Jack and you too! Gorgeous AC stag.

Super fine Mark. What are those flowers? Cone?

Have a great week Guardians. IMG_2307.jpeg

peanutsxx, donn, Pt-Luso and 18 others like this.
  4. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    :):thumbsup:
    Thanks for the tip on picking good nectarines. (I suppose this applies to plums, peaches, pluots, etc?)

I predict you're going to win the patina race very soon. :cool::thumbsup:

5. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    This tip works on peaches as well. After all, a nectarine is nothing more than a bald peach. I don't know if it applies to other stone fruits.

6. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks Dwight! Yes sir. Wondrous Echinacea! ;)
    I must have lost a quote last week where I praised the wide angle photos that showed some of your beautiful "yard". I enjoyed seeing more of your photo backdrop lab.:thumbsup:

Also applies to Jalapenos and other peppers with heat. If you're looking for hot. (stretchmarks)
    [​IMG]

pjsjr, peanutsxx, donn and 19 others like this.
  7. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Well, it wasn't bad at all, but my wife and kids think I'm crazy!

Good morning, Guardians!
    [​IMG]

pjsjr, peanutsxx, donn and 18 others like this.
  8. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Vince, you did everything right there save one. Proper Spam requires a cast iron skillet. Any will work, but the instrument of choice is vintage. Like slipjoints, they don't make 'em like they used to.

[​IMG]

pjsjr, peanutsxx, donn and 15 others like this.
  9. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Onebigbill likes this.
  10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I'm glad you're enjoying carrying it Duncan :) Thanks my friend, I'm afraid it's a recycled pic though ;) :thumbsup:

Great pic John, that's a nice Lambsfoot, and a nice shaving set-up :thumbsup:

Stunning pic Mark :) :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, gorgeous ebony WCLF :) :thumbsup:

11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Smashing pic Christian, and that's a great tip :) It also reminded me I had some nectarines in the kitchen, so I'm eating one right now! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Dwight, great pic of your DamLamb :) :thumbsup:

Wow, that's a fantastic photo Mark, I love the grain on your '19 :cool: :thumbsup:

I reckon that's probably true of most of us Vince! :D Great to see those 4 together, superb pic my friend :thumbsup:

Cool pic Christian :D :thumbsup:

12. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Always nice to see your AC.

Jack Black likes this.
  13. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Jack! :):thumbsup:

waynorth and Jack Black like this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Harvey, I really like the AC, for once there was no mischief with Wright's, and I think every one of them was great :) The only one that had a slight flaw was mine, which has a slightly proud tip :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

My week got off to a great start - I received not just one, but two gift packages from generous Guardians :) :thumbsup:

I think my neighbours must have heard me laughing when I opened the parcel @paulhilborn sent me! :D What a fantastic surprise :) It even has a working bell :cool: :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

There was also a very classy cutlery item, which I'll post in the EDC thread ;)

I'll be chewing over where to hang Paul (and Nanc)'s gift, with these, which @Prester John kindly sent me, along with a very cool postcard :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Thank you so much guys, I'm really touched by your kindness :) I hope everyone else's week got off to a great start :) :thumbsup:

pjsjr, peanutsxx, donn and 21 others like this.
  15. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Ugh... I am hopelessly behind here (almost 500 posts I think...), I will need to find the time to get caught up proper when I have a bit more to spare.

In the meantime, I wish you all a good day and hope that you all had a wonderful weekend.

Charlie's Jigged has been a rather constant companion. So constant that my other knives have been rather neglected. It is starting to show a rather wonderful patina though, the bolsters, liners, and backspring are beginning to darken.

[​IMG]

Something that I was thinking about today: I have quite an assortment of Lambsfoot knives now but the one that I currently lack is Wright's Big 'Un. I am not sure how the Waynorth Lamb compares in terms of size but I have very much enjoyed the dimensions. The longer blade gives me more versatility in the cuts I can make, especially when preparing food, but I don't feel put out by the additional length. In fact, I have a knife that can operate like a big knife as well as a small knife and that is something rather remarkable. In my opinion, of course.

Some comparison shots of what is representative in my current collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Great to see you here Dylan, your Waynorth Lambsfoot is looking good my friend :)

I just ran and took a quick comparison pic for you with a Big 'Un :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Nice pics there, I like the look of the ebony on what I think was your first Lambsfoot, if I remember correctly, it looks like wood that has been in a fire :cool: :thumbsup:

pjsjr, peanutsxx, Cutfinger and 19 others like this.
  17. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Nice stag

18. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
  19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Good morning Guardians
    Sorry I'm a little late posting today. I had to take one last trip to the Bay Area :mad:
    But on the happy side, the tour season is over and I have my boy back home... at least until he starts college. :)
    [​IMG]

pjsjr, peanutsxx, Cutfinger and 16 others like this.
  20. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Yes sir it is.