Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I must confess I do carry a very small knife in my watch pocket in case I'm in a public place that's not conducive to knives. :eek::rolleyes::D
I do the same thing, especially at work. I wish they made a small coin pocket Lambsfoot.

There is "something" about wood. I do not know what it is, but it just has a feel about it. It has nearly a old romantic feel to it,
That's it exactly. It's natural and rugged. All my best tools have metal or wood handles.

"A Walk in Nature" #6
9ZNg8Vt.jpg

Album:
https://imgur.com/a/S5jZPtE

I do the same thing, especially at work. I wish they made a small coin pocket Lambsfoot.

That's it exactly. It's natural and rugged. All my best tools have metal or wood handles.
That is so true. I know times change and companies have to remain competitive, but when you compare cheaper modern day tools that have plastic handles, they do not compare with the ones you talk of. And love the coin pocket lamb foot idea. Take an elephant stamp and go to the top of the class.

Very interesting observation. " the lambsfoot'll work better if i have things to do". As i have mentioned previously, when i was a kid over 50 years ago, all the farmers carried these knives for that one reason, they were a work knife that covered all jobs. It may be the fact " what was old is new again". Have a good day, and keep up the tradition.

The older I get, the more I realize that the "old ways" of doing things aren't always the way they are because they didn't have newer, more advanced ways. Sometimes they're that way because that's just what works best. :thumbsup:

I'm happy you posted, as this is exactly what has happened to me. :) It sure makes what to carry today? a breeze. The truth be told this past weekend I placed all my other slip joints in their roll-ups and now they only come out for photos :p
The lambsfoot is my be-all and do all knife, I no longer spend hours cruising the sites looking for that grail knife, because, for me, I found it. :D
Now all I do is keep a sharp eye out for another Jack Black Jack Black or Charlie waynorth waynorth SFO :thumbsup:;)

View attachment 1181829View attachment 1181830

I figured I wasn't the only one. Glad to hear I'm in good company! :)

You mean there are people who only carry one pocket knife at a time? o_O
Just joking, we all have our preferences and habits. I like to pair a small knife with a larger one. These days, the larger one is often a lambsfoot. :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Good morning party people!
s0562.gif

Another couple shots of Elwood of Waynorth from yesterday.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the jigging on these is some of the best jigging I have seen in a loooong time.
48572369546_acbe4d5348_h.jpg

48570660876_ff3bc91787_k.jpg

The jigging is superb Kevin :) :thumbsup:

That Lambsfoot always takes my breath away Harvey, I'm not sure jigging gets any better than that, and the triple rat-tail bolster is the icing on the cake :) :thumbsup:

Something interesting has happened.

There was a time not too long ago when I'd choose the knife I'd carry from a set of three or four favorites. That gave way to usually opting for my buffalo horn A. Wright lambsfoot, but still mixing it up every once and while and carrying another pattern.

What's happened over the past few months, though, is that now I usually reach for my buffalo horn, but sometimes instead carry my rosewood A. Wright or my Hartshead Barlow. Those alternatives, of course, are all lambsfoot knives... I've reached the point where it feels kinda weird to not be carrying a lambsfoot. A couple of times now I've reached for an old favorite, picked it up, had it about to go in my pocket, but then thought "but, the lambsfoot'll work better if I have things to do."

I guess I'm getting closer and closer to becoming a one pattern guy for EDC use. Or, perhaps this is how one goes from carrying one pocketknife at a time to carrying multiple. I'll try to resist that for as long as I can, though. ;)

Great reading Greg, I hope you don't mind me quoting this again: ""but, the lambsfoot'll work better if I have things to do." :) :thumbsup:

I can't remember the last time I went out without a Lambsfoot in my pocket. I'm a total knife addict, have lots of other patterns, and try to carry them too, but it's the Lambsfoot that gets the use. For a treat, I carry TWO Lambsfoot knives :rolleyes: I don't think any other pattern more useful or versatile than a Lambsfoot, and once you've tried one for a while, all other blades are in their shadow :thumbsup:

Beautiful :) :thumbsup:

There's one thing I don't understand, so I am just going to ask. I do not mean to be cheeky, it's just genuine interest and will to learn.

How come, you (and others, judging by the reactions) find this jigging:
48570660876-ff3bc91787-k.jpg

To be somehow better than this one:
dec5c59e2bd2aca27112635e0bb17c85-2.jpg

I have yet to own a jigged bone knife, but to my (untrained) eye, the latter, regular/symmetric jigging is far more appealing than the former random jigg.

Is there anything real connoisseurs look for in jigging?

Intelligent question, well asked, and well answered by our regulars I think :) I love to see different jigging styles, and will sometimes buy an old knife, which is otherwise ruined or badly worn, just for the jigging. Symmetrical jigging can look very good indeed, but the asymmetrical jigging has greater character in my opinion, showing (or giving the impression) that it was done by hand. If we look at this knife of Harvey's for example, a particularly fine example of old jigging in my opinion, there is so much going on there, even evidence that it was saw-cut.

cf54ac1b-b520-4b07-a0e6-2e2dac0bbfc2-jpeg.1181637

At the other end of the spectrum, in my opinion, is the jigged bone A.Wright & Son currently use (they buy in the bone pre-jigged). This really does very little for me I'm afraid, and I hope that one day they can produce knives with more characterful jigging :thumbsup:

a-wright-pocket-knife-lamb-foot-blue-bone-a-wright-knives-sheffield-31jb1-2763-p.jpg

Sibling rivalry...
These two keep fighting for my attention
The Waynorth is so attractive, has excellent fit-n-finish, has wonderful walk-n-talk, and is a nice slim carry.
The Rosewood is so rugged looking, has the smoothest action of all, a very stout blade, and begs to be used hard.

Brothers with their own character John, great pic :) :thumbsup:

I'm happy you posted, as this is exactly what has happened to me. :) It sure makes what to carry today? a breeze. The truth be told this past weekend I placed all my other slip joints in their roll-ups and now they only come out for photos :p
The lambsfoot is my be-all and do all knife, I no longer spend hours cruising the sites looking for that grail knife, because, for me, I found it. :D
Now all I do is keep a sharp eye out for another Jack Black Jack Black or Charlie waynorth waynorth SFO :thumbsup:;)

View attachment 1181829View attachment 1181830

My mission here is complete :D ;) Great pics my friend :) :thumbsup:

I agree with you John, wood just feels like home to me. :thumbsup::D
View attachment 1181836

I love this pic Dave, the knife looks so well-loved :) :thumbsup:

You mean there are people who only carry one pocket knife at a time? o_O
Just joking, we all have our preferences and habits. I like to pair a small knife with a larger one. These days, the larger one is often a lambsfoot. :thumbsup:

LOL! :D I like to have options to, though as others have said, it's the Lambsfoot that gets the use :) To use the Lambsfoot is to love it ;) :D :thumbsup:

I must confess I do carry a very small knife in my watch pocket in case I'm in a public place that's not conducive to knives. :eek::rolleyes::D

I sometimes carry a smaller knife for the same reason, but 90% of the time, I just reach for my Lambsfoot and use it discreetly, sometimes even not opening the blade the whole way (if I am on public transport for example). I was in a very large open space (Leeds Market food hall) having coffee with a friend yesterday, lots of people there, security guards on hand, and a group of cops having coffee nearby. I used my Hartshead Barlow twice to slice some Yorkshire Parkin, the knife came out did the job, and went back in my pocket, with nobody the wiser. I'm not always so discreet, but so far the only attention my knives have had from strangers has been positive. I really hope it stays that way :thumbsup:

Wallace & Gromit approved. Can't get much better than that. :D

View attachment 1181837

:D :thumbsup:

LJvxodg.jpg

There is "something" about wood. I do not know what it is, but it just has a feel about it. It has nearly a old romantic feel to it, it just feels great in the hand, and you know it was a living thing, and you are keeping the living tradition going by using and carrying it. This is a Rodgers Barlow Lamb Foot, one of my favorite knives. It just so compact, sharp and usable, and is just great to carry. Great minds think alike.:thumbsup:

Nice post :) :thumbsup:

Beautiful :cool: :thumbsup:

ZbGkN7T.jpg

Happy Monday Guardians! It felt very good slipping a knife in the pocket today. I was out of sorts all weekend without one. Three day music festival, and they frowned on bringing in sharp implements... But at least we had mostly nice weather, great music, and brisket poutine to console my knifeless self ;)

i8BOekY.jpg

Great pics Mike, glad that you had a great time, and that you are now reunited with your Lambsfoot ;) :) :thumbsup:

Riddle me this... should a lambsfoot knife still be considered a lambsfoot once its tip gets rounded over? Wouldn't it just be some sort of wonky spearpoint by then?

Good question. I'm inclined to say "yes, it's still a lambsfoot" provided that the rounding is from normal wear and tear as opposed to intentional modding.

I'm with Greg Christian, I think that, unless it's intentionally modified into another blade shape, a Lambsfoot is always a Lambsfoot, albeit a worn Lambsfoot :thumbsup: I do have an old knife from Abram Brooksbank, which started off like the top pic below, but must have been broken at some point, and was altered subsequently, so that it certainly can no longer be considered a Lambsfoot. I hope folks don't mind me showing it for information purposes :thumbsup:

7mY7C75.jpg

maRHck6.jpg

I remember that I DO have a coin pocket Lambsfoot. :)

You do indeed John :) :thumbsup: Don't folks find the small size Wright's do, coin-pocket friendly?

"A Walk in Nature" #6
9ZNg8Vt.jpg

Album:
https://imgur.com/a/S5jZPtE

Nice to see you're getting out of the house Dan! ;) :D Beautiful countryside my friend :thumbsup:

Well, I sure am glad there aren't many places around here that are "not conducive to knives"!

Hope it stays that way Vince :thumbsup:

Its a shame as this used to be an area where as a boy, we carried some sort of pocket knife to school without a problem. Things have sure changed over the last 20 years or so. :(

Same here, I carried a sheath knife most of my childhood, remember buying a pocket-knife on a school trip, and there was a trip to a local cutlery works where knives were handed out as gifts :rolleyes:

I know this is an old post but I started from page 1 and just found this. Just had to say.. These are amazing examples!

Welcome to the thread, hope you enjoy reading through some of it :) :thumbsup:

OK, I´ve had it! You all folks can´t be nuts to revere this pattern so much. I am getting one to see myself.

Now, is there going to be A. Wright and sons SFO anytime soon? :rolleyes:

You won't regret it :) BF membership is inexpensive, great value, and will allow you to receive private messages from other members ;) :thumbsup:

Back