Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I'd like to add/clarify: Please do not get too hung up on my verbiage regarding the "qualifiers" for entering. I'd like to think this thread isn't frequented by any bad apples. There are no post count requirements, no hidden "lists" as far as I am concerned. This pass-around is for enthusiasts and admirers of the pattern, whether you've been such for just a month or for many years.

I’m in Dylan!
(Not fermented, but I’m going to try Greg’s approach with the next batch)
11ZYyGW.jpg

ATTENTION!

Over two years have passed and almost 1400 pages have been filled since my very first post in this thread. Some might call that a good reason to celebrate. Though I cannot always keep up here due to the speed at which this thread flows, it is still something special to bear in mind when one considers the enthusiasm that the Lambsfoot knife has wrought.

This might be good cause for a giveaway. However, I am going to do something a bit different and get a bit of a pass-around started. This has been done with other traditional knives (notably Earl and Pearl in recent years) so I'd like to start an exclusive pass around for the Guardians here that will include a Lambsfoot from my personal collection.

I've obtained Jack's blessing to initiate this and will go over the rules below. I thought long and hard on which of my Lambsfoot knives would make a good knife to traverse the world and I decided on one that has some of the most sentimental meaning to me. It is not my first Lambsfoot but it is the first one that I purchased for myself and I have posted rather frequently about it here in this thread. This knife has been with me elk hunting, mushroom hunting, hiking, crabbing, drinking, and so much more. It sports mismatched Ebony covers and a nice patina and is overall quite a well made knife.

Now for the details/rules:

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot! (Every travelling knife needs a name and this one is no exception. I seem to recall dubbing this one Linus quite some time ago.)

If you are interested in participating, please read the rules and simply say, "I'm in!" and I will add you to the list.
  1. Please be a Guardian in good standing. Since pass-arounds largely work on an honor system and there have been instances where knives have fallen through the cracks in other pass-arounds, I would like this to be open to the established Guardians here exclusively. If you enjoy the pattern and pop in here now and then and are an established member otherwise, I am willing to make exceptions but they will be on a case by case basis.
  2. Once participants receive the knife, they will have it for no longer than 2 weeks (this can be flexible but communication is warranted). Please carry the knife, use it, take it to notable locations in your area, and take LOTS of pictures and post them here, captioned with "The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot".
  3. When you send it off to the next person, please send it with a local postcard and/or keepsake that is pertinent to your locale.
  4. This is open to international folks as well so please do not hesitate to participate if you are outside the confines of the US.
  5. Once the pass-around has concluded, we will determine what will be Linus's final resting place. Perhaps I will fashion a special case and we can hold a giveaway at the end.
That's pretty much it, folks. I hope you all will participate, this could be a lot of fun. I will let the list populate for a week or two and will kick things off with a proper Oregon sendoff. I also will edit in a link to this post in my sig line for ease of reference.

Here is Linus.

pRShKzu.jpg

df0pT9z.jpg

Participants:
  1. WhittlinAway WhittlinAway
  2. Prester John Prester John
  3. Half/Stop Half/Stop
  4. cigarrodog cigarrodog
  5. @Cambertree
I'm in! Thanks Dylan.

I'd favour camel bone too - I think it tends to be denser and stronger than cattle bone. Might I suggest that steel fittings and liners be considered again in that case? All I can think of when I look at a white bone covered knife with brass pins and liner scales, is how they will eventually be marred by ugly verdigris stains.

Welcome back, Chin! It’s good to have you back, my friend. I missed quoting this yesterday, but you make an excellent point, as usual. :thumbsup:

Lookin’ mighty tasty there, mi amigo!:thumbsup:

Thanks! My Thai chilis are ready to harvest, so I hope to try your harissa recipe soon. With lambsfoot participation, of course! :)

(Not fermented, but I’m going to try Greg’s approach with the next batch)
11ZYyGW.jpg

Looking tasty! And that’s a nice patina on your handsome lambsfoot. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1184218 Good morning guardians woke up this morning starving so I decided to start the day with a bagel. Skipped the jalapeño cream cheese and went with melted jalapeno cheese in its place

Good call. Looks like we’ve got a chili theme going again. Good to spice things up every once in a while. ;)

BTW, is that A. Wright’s standard size or their smaller one?

Good morning Guardians.

After posting a picture of a Lambfoot with my suckers yesterday, I sat down in my reclining chair for what was suppose to be only a few minutes and woke up four hours later. While out like a light these two A. Wright Lambfoot knives came in the mail. They are from the dealer in Snowdonia, Wales. The build of both knives is quite good. However, I gotta say that A. Wright sure isn't shy when it comes to filing down the kick in order to have the tip of the blade sit down into the well of the frame. Just look at the kick of the Big-un

Rosewood Large (Big-un) - Ebony Standard with exaggerated sway back frame
2VyFvEV.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - Is the cover of the Big-un in fact Rosewood? It looks paler than most rosewood I have Seen. Anyone - please fee free to chime in on this question..

2VyFvEV.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black - Is the cover of the Big-un in fact Rosewood? It looks paler than most rosewood I have Seen. Anyone - please fee free to chime in on this question..
Nice new pair of Lambs, ED.
I've seen rosewood in many different shades. Yours looks very unique. :cool::thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians.

After posting a picture of a Lambfoot with my suckers yesterday, I sat down in my reclining chair for what was suppose to be only a few minutes and woke up four hours later. While out like a light these two A. Wright Lambfoot knives came in the mail. They are from the dealer in Snowdonia, Wales. The build of both knives is quite good. However, I gotta say that A. Wright sure isn't shy when it comes to filing down the kick in order to have the tip of the blade sit down into the well of the frame. Just look at the kick of the Big-un

2VyFvEV.jpg

Like John said about variety of Rosewood color. I’d say that taking a long nap and waking up to two cool Lambsfoot knives counts as a great sign.

Wild Ben Wild Ben - Nice ones. Love the Horn.

Good Weekend Morning Guardians.
26C57696-9DF8-4995-AD6A-7B32AFD39178_zpsrdncp3ca.jpeg

I carry a lambsfoot...
kod5BoC.jpg

...because it's a booger trying to open a bag of grits without it!

How 'bout you?

uOhFTA7.jpg

Had to have some bacon with them grits:
citBy0q.jpg

And some eggs, of course:
4amPboP.jpg

(I actually used a chef's knife to cut the vegetables this time, but the lambsfoot wanted to pose.)

Good morning, Guardians!

I carry a lambsfoot...
kod5BoC.jpg

How 'bout you?

uOhFTA7.jpg

citBy0q.jpg

4amPboP.jpg

(I actually used a chef's knife to cut the vegetables this time, but the lambsfoot wanted to pose.)

Good morning, Guardians!
The bacon frying in the pan pushed me over the edge, Vince. Nice!

I carry a lambsfoot...
kod5BoC.jpg

How 'bout you?

uOhFTA7.jpg

citBy0q.jpg

4amPboP.jpg

Good morning, Guardians!

Hard to beat grits in the morning. I like to fry some eggs up and break the yolks in the grits with bits of bacon.:thumbsup: A bit of Molasses will sweeten them up just a tad for easy swallowing.

Back