Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

As usual, I admire your photos, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: But don't you worry about losing your knives while setting up the many pics you take with the knife on the edge of some precipice?? :eek: Earlier this week, I had my little flock of lambsfoot knives with me so I could take a family portrait, since I knew I'd be walking near my college's Ecosystem Preserve that day, and hoped to duck in to take some shots. But I became very nervous as I placed the knives on the railing of a wooden observation deck that stuck out over a pond in the woods! :eek:o_O:( Neither the weather nor my clothing was suitable for underwater recovery efforts!! :rolleyes:

(Here's another gratuitous heron shot from my vacation in August.
4MOoFn6.jpg
)

I do occasionally get a bit nervous GT! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup: Fine-looking heron :thumbsup:

A.Wright SB Large Lambsfoot 4-8.JPG

Those both look quite mouthwatering, Jack! :thumbsup::p Definitely SFE-approved! ;):D And definitely making me yearn to end this post and make lunch! :rolleyes:

Thank you sir :) :thumbsup:

Good point, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I was amazed to see that kind of grain in a shot of Half/Stop's Midnight Special!

Yes me too GT, I wish I could find the pics I'm thinking of! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Notice how straight the grain is on the above examples. Horn doesn't seem to get the symmetrical, layered look like the EW covers show. ...

But the photo of Ron's knife (displayed better in the next post by Jack, so I edited out the photo) shows amazing "unnatural" grain:
Today I’ve got a Toms Choice and a Midnight Special :)

- GT

Last edited:
Thanks Jack, I'll check out the hornswoggled thread. Here's a couple of shots showing the grain pattern. Makes me think composite.
Perhaps a form of gutta percha?
Fascinating to hear all the ways that people end up in this knife life!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I had been living the life, but not aware of the Sheffield part of it. When I started riding Raleighs, I figured that the "All Steel Bicycle" deserves an all steel British Army two blade lock knife as a ride along tool. This of course lead me to the joys of the lambfoot. The point forward design is just the ticket for removing thorns and such. Ironic though it sounds, there's perhaps nothing better than a keen lambsfoot to remove a goatshead!

Last edited:
It's late in the day here in Yorkshire, and another week looms! :eek: I'll be pocketing my Guardians Lambsfoot - I know this one is horn because I read the back of the can! ;) :D Showing it here with some antique sugar crushers I picked up yesterday - now all I need is a bottle of Absinthe! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

AWSFO 17-8.JPG

Sorry for the infraction, Jack, at least the buff horn has a sheepfoot!

GT, thanks for the "unnatural," I've never seen horn layered like that before. Live and learn!

Thanks Jack, I'll check out the hornswoggled thread. Here's a couple of shots showing the grain pattern. Makes me think composite.
xYsbQcSl.jpg

lTamByhl.jpg

I tend to agree, some kind of composite faux wood/resin material. In vogue in the past and it can behave strangely as the compounds deteriorate, hence shrink and retreat around the pins which may react with it.

Ron's Midnight knife has impressive brindling and I think this might be because it's been cut on the bias.

@herder showed a catalogue cut of this knife in the Old Knives thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-652#post-17591577 (and reproduced the picture in this thread also). The image is from a 1920 TEW catalogue, and while Herder believes the covers to be horn, he notes that the cover material is not actually given in the TEW catalogue. As he also notes, a similar knife is shown in the 1924 JNO. Baker (Australia) catalogue. At
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-651#post-17589365 I reproduced a page from the 1932 JNO. Baker catologue. This page, showing what I believe to be another TEW Barlow, apparently the same as this, but with a different blade configuration, appears in Australian & New Zealand Cutlers And Cutlery 1788-1988 by Keith M Spencer and Joan Renton-Spencer, as do other similar TEW Barlows. In the 1932 catalogue, the cover material is given as 'smooth horn'.

Horn it is ! When the new wears off I may send it to you for you to decide. Provided you promise not to perch it on a fence post for pictures at the lake and it disappears forever :eek:
@herder showed a catalogue cut of this knife in the Old Knives thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-652#post-17591577 (and reproduced the picture in this thread also). The image is from a 1920 TEW catalogue, and while Herder believes the covers to be horn, he notes that the cover material is not actually given in the TEW catalogue. As he also notes, a similar knife is shown in the 1924 JNO. Baker (Australia) catalogue. At
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/old-knives.527126/page-651#post-17589365 I reproduced a page from the 1932 JNO. Baker catologue. This page, showing what I believe to be another TEW Barlow, apparently the same as this, but with a different blade configuration, appears in Australian & New Zealand Cutlers And Cutlery 1788-1988 by Keith M Spencer and Joan Renton-Spencer, as do other similar TEW Barlows. In the 1932 catalogue, the cover material is given as 'smooth horn'.

Horn it is ! When the new wears off I may send it to you for you to decide. Provided you promise not to perch it on a fence post for pictures at the lake and it disappears forever :eek:

LOL! :D I'd certainly love to examine it, and would promise to return it safe and unharmed! :D :thumbsup:

I had been living the life, but not aware of the Sheffield part of it. When I started riding Raleighs, I figured that the "All Steel Bicycle" deserves an all steel British Army two blade lock knife as a ride along tool. This of course lead me to the joys of the lambfoot. The point forward design is just the ticket for removing thorns and such. Ironic though it sounds, there's perhaps nothing better than a keen lambsfoot to remove a goatshead!
:D:thumbsup::D

Happy Sunday Guardians.

IMG_20171112_121912_zpsilk1zblq.jpg
Wonderful wood covers, Mike! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

GT, thanks for the "unnatural," I've never seen horn layered like that before. Live and learn!
Ron's Midnight knife has impressive brindling and I think this might be because it's been cut on the bias.
Jeff, I was about to conjecture the same thing as Will did. The "grain" in Ron's knife handles may be related to how the horn was cut. (I have no evidence for that other than the way wood sometimes behaves/appears when cut.)

Interesting collection of facts, Jack! :thumbsup::cool:
I may not "know my onions" when it comes to many aspects of knives, but I do know what kind of discourse I enjoy and admire. And this discussion about the handles of Rob's old TEW Barlow is the kind I like! :thumbsup::cool::D People don't necessarily agree with one another, but they clearly, civilly, and as persuasively as possible present the "evidence" for their positions, and everyone seems to weigh these arguments with an open mind. That's pretty characteristic of the discourse throughout the thread!! I've learned tons from this thread's posts (of which there are now almost 3000!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:)! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup::D

ETA: Speaking of evidence, while I've been typing along here with my abstract conjectures, Ron apparently snuck in with more fantastic pics of that Midnight Special of his! Thanks, Ron; amazing shots, IMHO!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::eek::cool::thumbsup::D

- GT

ETA: Speaking of evidence, while I've been typing along here with my abstract conjectures, Ron apparently snuck in with more fantastic pics of that Midnight Special of his! Thanks, Ron; amazing shots, IMHO!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::eek::cool::thumbsup::D

Snuck right in there I did!:p:eek:

Silly question, but I can't hold back... These fancy bolsters?! Story? I should probably go way back and read, but I'm super jealous! Is this a new thing at A Wright & Son, or limited thing?

Back