Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

but sorry to hear about your mishap, that must have been painful :( :thumbsup:

Is was. Still is...:oops::rolleyes::(:D

Looking forward to streaming the State Opening of Parliament, today. (Credit NYT)
View attachment 1213335

donn donn - Duly noted, David. Perhaps this would be a better choice.:)
View attachment 1213343

Splendid images of your weekend journey.

Good Morning Guardians.
View attachment 1213344

Thanks Harvey. Given the standing water in the fields that airboat would of been quicker than the train I traveled on yesterday :D

What did you think of the State Opening? Some bizarre happenings this year.
The BBC always televise it live on their main channel BBC1, but this year they didn't.
There are a lot of environmental protests in London at the moment which the authorities seem unable to deal with, but it would appear the entire area around Parliament was completely shut down. Usually there are thousands of people waiting to see the Royal Coach go past and arrive at Parliament.
The Queen, for the first time I can remember, didn't wear the Imperial State Crown. Was this for health reasons? (It's damned heavy) or was Her Majesty making some sort of statement about the current state of UK politics?

Thanks Harvey. Given the standing water in the fields that airboat would of been quicker than the train I traveled on yesterday :D

What did you think of the State Opening? Some bizarre happenings this year.
The BBC always televise it live on their main channel BBC1, but this year they didn't.
There are a lot of environmental protests in London at the moment which the authorities seem unable to deal with, but it would appear the entire area around Parliament was completely shut down. Usually there are thousands of people waiting to see the Royal Coach go past and arrive at Parliament.
The Queen, for the first time I can remember, didn't wear the Imperial State Crown. Was this for health reasons? (It's damned heavy) or was Her Majesty making some sort of statement about the current state of UK politics?
The Queen puts it on in special Robing Room with all her other fineries. That crown is over 20lbs.(Credit NYT)
AC022833-0854-456C-AE73-9CE38F094BFD.jpeg

I have not listened to the stream, but trust me I will. UK’s dominant issue, I’m sure, requires extra security.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2019/october/state-opening-of-parliament-2019/

@dc50 - Thank you David. That well ladened platter looks splendid.

"Happy Birthday" U.S. Navy. Today, October 13, marks the birth of the U.S. Navy in 1775.. GO NAVY!!!!

bWfkqML.jpg
John Paul Jones!

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Now yer talkin!!!! Great knives and my kinda keyboard!! Nice narrow stag on the Hartshead.

Ya! Throw some more food crumbs on there and it will look like mine. :p

Nice looking slim stag! Thanks! I don’t know about that keyboard, yikes?

Cool!
Interesting keyboard, Kevin! Shop computer?:cool:

Thank you guys for the kind words about my stag HHB.
As for the keyboard, Ya know how per-worn out jeans became trendy? Well. this keybord is going to be worth big bucks one day. ;) Just kiddin' , it's from the dump pile.

Cool shot, Kevin!! Looks like it certainly get exercise!!:cool:
Thank, Dennis. Jake certainly is getting more pocket time than any other in the herd.
Blimey, it's already a few hours past breakfast, and I'll I've done is catch up with this thread :eek: Some toasted Leeds Bread Co-op Malted Sourdough has kept me going ;) :thumbsup:

ChskJl6.jpg

Off to do some chores now :( :thumbsup:
Jack that rosewood HHB is looking superb. :thumbsup:
The bread looks pretty good too.

Fantastic pic of an unforgettable knife, FBC, and good advice for @ulix ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (I was as obsessed with the jigged bone WCLF as @ulix is with the HHB, but I'm better now. :D:thumbsup:)
Thank you, my friend. That may be the first time anyone has said anything positive about my advice. ;):D

Another shot of Union Jack, this time in our back yard in May:
uj-mark-vopen-garden-post-jpg.1212825
Union Jack is looking regal perched on his post. :thumbsup:

Have a terrific Monday my fellow Guardians.

Jack Black Jack Black - Just wanted to chime in to express my deep appreciation for the world you have opened to all of us, Jack. “This too shall pass.” You’re simply a fine gentleman.

View attachment 1213343

View attachment 1213344

Thank you very much Harvey :) THAT sure looks like a lot of fun! :) Fantastic image of another of your old beauties my friend :) :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that mate :( Get some Henderson's on it! It may not help with the injury, but at least you'll smell nice! :D :thumbsup:

Jack that rosewood HHB is looking superb. :thumbsup:
The bread looks pretty good too.

Thanks Kevin :) :thumbsup:

That knife has such great character Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Harvey :) THAT sure looks like a lot of fun! :) Fantastic image of another of your old beauties my friend :) :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that mate :( Get some Henderson's on it! It may not help with the injury, but at least you'll smell nice! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Kevin :) :thumbsup:

That knife has such great character Taylor :) :thumbsup:
My favorite one Jack. Thanks again.

Your background is reminiscent of ancient floor tiles. I saw that pic and instantly thought "why is Jer drinking sherry off the floor of an English cathedral??
Where I come from, one often drinks sherry off the floor of an English cathedral.
Hey, you Episcopalian foxes... In my country I have been cured many times.

Now all you Guardian genius's out there i need some help. There has been many a post about members liking of old western movies and old war films. Last week i purchased at a flea market a DVD of " 5 Classic Westerns Collection ". I have never heard of any of these films.
The Deputy. Nobody. The Search. Sound Of A Drum. Without Honour. They all read as being around a town called Cimarron or having a Marshall Jim Crown as the main character, has anyone heard of these films and are they any good, mind you i like most westerns.:confused:

:eek:Beautiful landscapes. Great lighting and detail in all three lambfoot photos, you did a great job showing the different handle materials:)
Thanks very much Jax, I appreciate that.:thumbsup::)

Cambertree Cambertree - Thank you Chin. Tasty open faced sandwiches and fine tools...What more can one ask for.:)
Thanks Harvey. Another thing I should mention about your beautiful Lambsfoot images - I often find myself unconsciously going to touch the screen to ‘feel’ the texture of your subject matter, such is the great tactile quality and contrast of your photography!:cool:

Great picture and wonderful tools. :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks John, I hope you’re feeling better, mate.:thumbsup:

Thanks mate, I could eat it every day, and have become good friends with the family who run the stall :) Thank you for those fantastic pics, I have been a fan of Aussie wine for decades, had some really great ones over the years, Penfold's Grange being the ultimate, but you can't get hold of it for love nor money here anymore :( These days though, I get most of mine from the supermarket, and rarely spend more than ten to fifteen quid, but Aussie wines have always been great value I think, as well as being great to drink :thumbsup:
Oh yes, it’d be a hard choice, but if I was limited to just eating the dishes of one national cuisine for the rest of my days, Vietnamese would have to be one of the top three.

Yeah, I’m afraid the Penfolds Grange prices have been jacked up due to becoming a status symbol, like DeBeers diamonds.

Some of the vintners are also turning out some excellent beers. I had this cracking Imperial Ale from the Barossa Valley this past weekend (where the Penfolds vineyards are). Pictured with my Michael May Lambsfoot.

mAZtp1k.jpg

What a great pic! :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Cheers mate, I was actually thinking of you when I put that together - some excellent Wensleydale, Leicestershire and aged Irish Cheddar’s in there under the tomato and pickles, and Ironwood.;)

Had some Penfold's Shiraz-Cabernet last night with dinner. Very nice.
QJZKIKr.jpg
Nice one Vince. I hope you had a wonderful anniversary dinner and birthday gathering.

Happy belated Birthday wishes to you too cudgee cudgee !:thumbsup::)

Hope everyone’s Weekend is a good one.
View attachment 1212336
Another stunner, Harvey!

DSC-2985.jpg

It would be interesting, at least to me :), to see the variations in cover thickness on the HHBs. Mine is on the slimmer side.
Here’s mine, Natchezz, along with my candle-end stag Lefty, a bone handled Unity, and my contoured ol’ Ebony for reference.

fDOJQPv.jpg

One of the interesting things I found about the swayback handle is it sits so nicely in the palm, that other handle shapes like symmetrical swell ends, or equal enders can feel a little ‘loose’ in hand, afterwards.

The HH Barlow is also very comfortable, but the palmswell is lateral, across the thickness of the handle, rather than in the vertical plane like the standard swayback Lambsfoot handle.

pvt4gFJ.jpg

I don’t know if it’s intentional, but the Lefty has a thicker cover scale on the palm side when held left handed, which as Rachel has noted, actually makes a knife very comfortable to hold.

I think if I was ordering a full custom stag knife, I would actually want it to be asymmetrically thicker in that way.

Oops... I forgot to post my apple picture from today's trip. I was thinking about you all. :)

Good Morning Guardians
Picked up some Asian Pears while I was at the orchards
Tasty looking Fujis (?) and Nashi there John, and some fine pics.:cool:

"Happy Birthday" U.S. Navy. Today, October 13, marks the birth of the U.S. Navy in 1775.. GO NAVY!!!!

bWfkqML.jpg
Good stuff Ed, I was just telling my nephew about the secret of the original Ol’ Ironsides, USS Constitution a couple of days ago, when we saw a magnificent old Liveoak tree.

Admirable photos of your ironwood, Chin; exquisite edge!
Looking forward to hearing about Aussie trees when you have the time! ;)
Thanks GT, I have quite lot of photos (with Lambsfoot content, of course) accumulated. Just have to find a minute to write it up. I always appreciate your astute questions, mi amigo.:)

Fantastic Food Fotos, Chin! I'll have #2 and # 3, please.
Sure thing, my friend. I’ll bring a plate - and why don’t we meet at Mike’s or Dave’s place.;) I’m sure they’ll still have some tasty Thanksgiving leftovers!:thumbsup:

Looking good there, Dave. Now I’m hungry!:)

Last edited:
Here’s mine, Natchezz, along with my candle-end stag Lefty, a bone handled Unity, and my contoured ol’ Ebony for reference.

fDOJQPv.jpg

One of the interesting things I found about the swayback handle is it sits so nicely in the palm, that other handle shapes like symmetrical swell ends, or equal enders can feel a little ‘loose’ in hand, afterwards.

The HH Barlow is also very comfortable, but the palmswell is lateral, across the thickness of the handle, rather than in the vertical plane like the standard swayback Lambsfoot handle.

pvt4gFJ.jpg

I don’t know if it’s intentional, but the Lefty has a thicker cover scale on the palm side when held left handed, which as Rachel has noted, actually makes a knife very comfortable to hold.

I think if I was ordering a full custom stag knife, I would actually want it to be asymmetrically thicker in that way.

Thanks Chin! So far, they all look consistently thin. I think that is great looking stag on your HHB.

Good evening, folks.

Been a bit since I've chimed in over here. I've been busy as usual and I just don't have the same kind of time that I once had, my presence on the forums has diminished as a result, though I still do a fair bit of reading here and there.

I hope everyone is well, despite the internal drama, the shenanigans at Wrights, and such. Nothing more to say on that front other than that Jack is a capital fellow and not only would this be a lesser place without him, Wrights will sadly be but a shadow of what they could have been. It does not diminish the excellence of the pattern, however, and that is something to be quite grateful for.

Some more pics of my Sambar stag Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:

WQpKYsc.jpg

w6MISf0.jpg

A shame they had to take so much bark off this one, rather than just cutting it right in the first place o_O

NgRiMvO.jpg

An enviable assortment of stag, Jack! Each one is a treasure!

The ACs have a special place in my heart Matt, there were only 28 of them, but it is the only time I had any straightforward dealings with Wright's, and every one was superb I think :) The folks that have them have something special :) :thumbsup:

8tMd7xo.jpg

The AC I have is one of my most cherished Lambsfoot knives, Jack, I am quite fortunate and honored to have one.

All this talk of Stag prompted me to go and gather my meager assortment together for a bit of a shoot. I had one other in Stag but I gifted it awhile back, I hope the recipient is enjoying it as much as I did.

Each one of these is unique and excellent, I treasure them all. The AC has seen the most use and has developed the patina to speak for it, both on the steel and the Stag.

YdYzalF.jpg

Vg0JkOA.jpg

4Abgu8v.jpg

Back