Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks guys. The feeling is certainly mutual. :)

Hope that you are keeping well Dwight, and that we'll see you again before too long :) :thumbsup:

Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot

This is a short post--I have to work 8:00 to 5:00, Monday through Friday, but I'm taking photos during my lunch hour.

Here's Linus with me at work:
cYeq0PO.jpg

I think he may be a little bored, but we're watching Game 1 of the World Series tonight:
5xKT6Dm.jpg

I won't let him have too much beer.

I'll have a long post probably Friday night. And then again Sunday night.
Have a good evening, Guardians!

Very dedicated Vince :) Great to see you and Linus are having fun hanging out together :thumbsup:

Good evening, folks. I've largely been away from the forums due to a recent trip and a recent tragedy. I am now starting to get somewhat caught up, if I've missed any comments, please accept my apologies.

Thank you so much for the kind compliments, fellas, they are always appreciated.

I'm glad Linus made it to you safely, Vince! After my bungling of getting this underway, I am happy to see your fantastic post getting his travels kicked off.

As mentioned, I recently took a trip after my brother surprised me with tickets and airfare to go see Wardruna (a Norwegian folk band) at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheater outside of Denver, Colorado. It was a rather magical experience and despite the aforementioned tragedy that cast its pall over my trip, I am quite pleased that I got to go.

gU1ZAlh.jpg

WYw7zyy.jpg

I was able to get some fly fishing in after meeting up with another forum member here who showed me some of the ropes regarding such a sport. I was also able to tour the Coors Brewing facility in Golden, CO, (lot of terrific history there) and got to see some big skies, open country, and cool geological formations.

wj13G63.jpg

xaQi7qP.jpg

ussGVK4.jpg

Now for the tragedy - I hesitate to post this but I also know that the Guardians thread is as much a community thread as it is a knife thread and since I consider you all friends, I will share. I've perhaps posted about my pup, Saxon, maybe even one too many times. He was my best bud and I love him dearly. He fell ill shortly before I departed on my trip, exhibiting the same symptoms that he had back in May. Since he had pulled out of it and recovered fully despite the vets not knowing what was wrong, I had high hopes that he would do the same this time. Unfortunately, his condition continued to worsen and my wife took him to a neurologist and he passed on soon after. It turns out he had developed hydrocephalus for no reason that the doctors could fathom and that it was nothing short of a miracle that he didn't die back in May.

In any case, I got the news while I was at Red Rocks and I broke apart as I poured one out for Saxon. Needless to say, I am rather crushed.

Yupuu7Y.jpg

BTvq4Hu.jpg

In any case, this is still a knife thread and I've been carrying this Waynorth in Ebony today. Black seems a fitting color at the moment.

TDp8aG1.jpg

Really sorry to read of your heartbreaking news Dylan :( I'm sure you have many happy memories of your times with Saxon, thanks for sharing some of them with us. Sincere condolences my friend, and thanks for the great photos :thumbsup:

View attachment 1218180 Needed a pint so I had a pint! Forgot to post this for two days. I have forgot to take it's pic but this is what I have been carrying. Hope everyone is having a good start to their week.

Special knife Taylor, hope you enjoyed your pint :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, thought I'd carry some ebony today (in the form of the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot). Have a good day folks :thumbsup:

TYZyIZm.jpg

Pocket slip and leather Lambsfoot by @Pàdruig :thumbsup:

First time I poke a hole in the bull's eye from 33 feet :)
My lamb has graciously volunteered to point to it :D

L83MIJc.jpg
Nice shootin, Dan!

Evening Guardians. Monday is done, and the weekend is now a day closer :D

jl2L59O.jpg

Nice pic.:thumbsup: I dug out a couple slingshots from my youth and they're a bit different from the ones being posted now. A lot of time was spent with these old plastic models back when I was a kid. Extra ammo was stored in the hollow handles. Surgical tubing was the norm, back then. Have you ever used this style? I may have to try a new one and see how they compare.

d8PYO2V.jpg

QlEW1rH.jpg

Great post Mark, just about all the kids I've known have enjoyed 'foraging' of one sort or another (though most grow out of it seems, here at least) :) I'm glad you got a good crop, I think (and I may be ignorant about this), we only get one crop a year here. I find the odd wild one or two on my travels, but cultivating them seems to have gone out of fashion, except for the big outfits. They are expensive in the supermarkets, and as you say, tasteless in comparison to the 'real thing'. Nice to hear your granddaughters are looking after you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you for the compliment :)

I'm jealous of anyone who can grow raspberries. When I was little, I'd eat them off the bushes at my grandmother's house in Pennsylvania. All store bought raspberries I've had since are ruined for me. :(

There's an old Yiddish joke about a poor couple who try to make blintzes. It's a long joke involving substituting one ingredient after another, and ends with "I don't know what rich people see in blintzes."

Ramrodmb Ramrodmb Fantastic looking wood on the spade handles you posted. r8shell r8shell Any fruit not home grown is bland, it is normally kept in cold storage so it can be put on the shelves out of season. @JackBlack The supermarkets really started to flex their muscle in the sixties/seventies and that was the start of the demise of the High Street food vendors. When i was young we still had the milk being delivered off the horse and cart, and the butcher, fruit and veg man and baker still came to the back door everyday if you asked them too, and everything was fresh. " Ya there Missus", you knew who it was, and -TRY THIS TODAY-if mum was not at home, he would just come in, read the note on the kitchen table, take his money and leave the change, and gone on his way, leaving the back door as he found it. OPEN.

Thanks Jack, R8shell and Cudgee.
Our patch started when my sister bought a house back in 2002 from an elderly lady who happened to be known for her Raspberry jam. Not having time for jelly making and young kids running around, my sister asked that I remove the sizable patch from her new backyard. I'm sure the patch had been fruitful for MANY years as the previous owner lived there for decades. It felt wrong, in some way, to eradicate them so I brought 3 or so plants home in buckets, knowing that they don't transplant well. Only one plant ended up surviving but within a few years they spread and started producing again.

The ancient patch lives on, although in a new location! ;)

Each year it has grown bigger and what you see is about 17 years worth of growth. The patch removed was at least twice the size of this one. I'll include a photo here.

TLETfvf.jpg

CwWuUe8.jpg

That's quite a handle on the bottom one.

Dad used to make exotic breads. Funny thing was, he would get a recipe from somebody, change everything, and then be disappointed that it didn't taste like the recipe he hadn't followed.

Thanks.
Lambsfoot content:
SriqZqX.jpg

I figure as a diabetic I should try rye, with its lower glycemic index. Also, I believe Dr Graham Jarvis, of Vermont Folk Medicine fame, put me among genetic rye eaters.

Thanks, Jer. It is unique of the three. Here's another photo showing more of how the wood splits to form the handle. Let us know how the bread project turns out.:thumbsup:

mCfqvgy.jpg

Great pics guys !
Happy Tuesday :)

Good morning Guardians :)
Taking the day off today to wind down and catch up with things after a busy evening yesterday.
Our 13 y/o daughter was one of the junior string players invited to play with a professional chamber orchestra in Ottawa. They played the Holberg Suite by Grieg.
Here is my ebony lambsfoot posing besides the ebony fingerboard in my daughter's violin.
SRX3wlL.jpg

zFPnFMI.jpg

lGBhT29.jpg
Great post Dan! You should be proud and thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :)
One of the things that makes my Rosewood Lamb such a favorite is its thin profile and smooth edges. It is invisible in the pocket and feels so darn good in the hand. While the Ironwood Lamb is far more attractive, it's thicker in the pocket and rougher in the hand. So, I thought why not round the edges a little. I was hesitant at first but I like the knife even more now. :cool: :thumbsup:

Old picture of the Rosewood Lamb for comparison...

Nice work John.:thumbsup: I like to fiddle with the knives I carry and make them my own too.

Thanks, Jer. It is unique of the three. Here's another photo showing more of how the wood splits to form the handle. Let us know how the bread project turns out.
That's beautiful. I've never seen one like it.

I'm going to read the recipe a couple more times, but I'm about ready to go with the bread.
jw92aF1.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning Guardians

Cool mug shot John ;) Skoll is looking very fine :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! May you all have a blessed day! :):thumbsup:

48682571721_b84360c234_o_d.jpg

Beauty Ron :cool: :thumbsup:

Nice pic.:thumbsup: I dug out a couple slingshots from my youth and they're a bit different from the ones being posted now. A lot of time was spent with these old plastic models back when I was a kid. Extra ammo was stored in the hollow handles. Surgical tubing was the norm, back then. Have you ever used this style? I may have to try a new one and see how they compare.

d8PYO2V.jpg

QlEW1rH.jpg

Great pics Mark, I think I still have a couple of those wrist-rockets somewhere I think (Barnett Black Widows), but my first store-bought slingshot was an aluminium Milbro model, with square rubber, handed down to me by my youngest uncle :) I just got some tubular band sets to replace the pathetically short lengths on the stag slingshot I bought at the weekend, only to find that I need to enlarge one of the holes :rolleyes: It's great to see those two Ironwood '19's together, the wood has some beautiful character :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, R8shell and Cudgee.
Our patch started when my sister bought a house back in 2002 from an elderly lady who happened to be known for her Raspberry jam. Not having time for jelly making and young kids running around, my sister asked that I remove the sizable patch from her new backyard. I'm sure the patch had been fruitful for MANY years as the previous owner lived there for decades. It felt wrong, in some way, to eradicate them so I brought 3 or so plants home in buckets, knowing that they don't transplant well. Only one plant ended up surviving but within a few years they spread and started producing again.

The ancient patch lives on, although in a new location! ;)

Each year it has grown bigger and what you see is about 17 years worth of growth. The patch removed was at least twice the size of this one. I'll include a photo here.

TLETfvf.jpg

CwWuUe8.jpg

Nice story Mark, and beautiful pics :) :thumbsup:

Interesting Mark, and it's made for another great pic :thumbsup:

Happy "hump day" to all.:thumbsup:

LhXo9m9.jpg

And another :cool: :) :thumbsup:

I'm going to read the recipe a couple more times, but I'm about ready to go with the bread.
jw92aF1.jpg

Looks like you have the ingredients for success Jer, good luck :) :thumbsup:

D3imLay.jpg

Ebony today.

Nice Vince :) :thumbsup:

Found Monkey on my street after the school-run. Hoping mum or dad spots him coming the other way, or there'll be tears at bedtime! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

46cnEIN.jpg

Back