Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

child-smoking.jpg

Ya, hoodlum. ;):D

I was thinking that the rollies would be less expensive and maybe better for me. So I tried this chemical free, organic, picked only on a full moon, blah blah, tobacco....it was almost 18 usd a pouch :eek: and dry as sticks. I haven't given up on the rollies though, I picked up a pouch of Bugler for 6 usd. It has been more to my liking.

48944598577_f8602c2793_h.jpg

That must have been me! Arghh! Frightening! :eek: :D

Yeah, a lot of folks smoke roll-ups here now 'cos they're cheaper (wasn't really a factor when I was a kid and all tobacco was cheap), which I think has led to some pretty rotten tobacco being on the market. Anybody smoke '3 Castles' from Ireland, I nearly started smoking again for that stuff?! :D Dry tobacco sucks, I think there's stuff you can do. As a kid I used to smoke Old Holborn in liquorice papers - but then I was a kid! :rolleyes: ;) Cool pic Kevin :cool: :thumbsup:

I work in health care.
Today my employer emailed us this article :)
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/...10/coping-caregiving-stress-walking-in-nature

asfNxo5.jpg

xFsxjGz.jpg

A Walk in Nature
[URL]https://imgur.com/a/S5jZPtE[/URL]

Get out there Dan :) Those pics are just superb my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack. Throwing spoons in the dust bin is funny...in retrospect.:) The doohicky is a sterling silver Bomb Bead.

Yeah, we didn't find out what was happening until we bought about 3 sets :rolleyes: Thankfully, it was only teaspoons o_O I like the bomb bead, even have one (though mine is just steel), but what's the other doohickey? :thumbsup:

Very cool :cool::thumbsup:

Thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.

;)

:D :D :D :thumbsup:

Thank you all so much for the very kind words, they are all very much appreciated. I loved that boy and could never resist showing him off or talking about him really, he had such a great spirit.

I opted to carry one of my very favorites today, I don't think I have a better "Autumn" knife.

EC35RUY.jpg

Nice choice Dylan :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It might be easier to just pay for it next time, Jack. ;):p:D

:D :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a decent week :) I'm off to the market tomorrow for a feast of vintage tools, cake, and good conversation, and to help my mate out of course ;) Like Dylan I'm going to carry my AC :) :thumbsup:

IyM80hw.jpg

That must have been me! Arghh! Frightening! :eek: :D

Yeah, a lot of folks smoke roll-ups here now 'cos they're cheaper (wasn't really a factor when I was a kid and all tobacco was cheap), which I think has led to some pretty rotten tobacco being on the market. Anybody smoke '3 Castles' from Ireland, I nearly started smoking again for that stuff?! :D Dry tobacco sucks, I think there's stuff you can do. As a kid I used to smoke Old Holborn in liquorice papers - but then I was a kid! :rolleyes: ;) Cool pic Kevin :cool: :thumbsup:

Get out there Dan :) Those pics are just superb my friend :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, we didn't find out what was happening until we bought about 3 sets :rolleyes: Thankfully, it was only teaspoons o_O I like the bomb bead, even have one (though mine is just steel), but what's the other doohickey? :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

:D :D :D :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a decent week :) I'm off to the market tomorrow for a feast of vintage tools, cake, and good conversation, and to help my mate out of course ;) Like Dylan I'm going to carry my AC :) :thumbsup:

IyM80hw.jpg
Whoever that kid is, he has got " Froth & Bubble " written all over him. Looks like he is from the past archives of a " Future, East End Villain ".:eek:

Intriguing info about the cannons, David, and especially interesting to me since I live in Kent County Michigan (although we have no fortress to match the one in your pics :rolleyes:)!
I'm so glad you located the Eye of Sauron after a brief separation; great to see that unforgettable knife again! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Stunning photo of your AC, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Perhaps my weekend activities weren't exciting, but I made a substantial dent in the list I drew up Friday evening! ;):thumbsup:
0) Not on my original list, but the first thing I did at 7am Saturday: impulsively went to the next door bakery to see if any of their "day-old" 50% off products included chocolate chip cookies. Scored 2 bags of 4 BIG cookies each! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
1) Lawn mowed, after picking up leaves and sticks.
2) Laundry.
3) Returned stack of books to library, including one that required my reading about 150 final pages during breaks in the laundry.
4) Turned the 2-block trip to the library into a 2.5 mile walk (the weather here is gorgeous this weekend).
5) Volunteered in the "infant nursery" (kids < 2 years old) at church this morning. Only one kid instead of the usual 4-6, and he was scared to death of me the first half hour. But I kept ignoring him and enjoying myself with the many toys available, and he was finally compelled to join me to see why I was having all the fun.
6) Took care of some financial record-keeping.
7) Took some knife pics. (Preparing them for public consumption will have to wait for a different day.)
8) Worked on catching up in the Guardians thread.
9) Composed lab instructions for my statistics class.
Who knows what else I might get done in the 4 hours before I go to bed??? :p:thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks GT but how The Eye of Sauron returned to me would seem to indicate it may be as hard to get rid of as any other 'preciousness'.... :D
That's quite a to-do list there. That would keep me busy for a month. :)

Fall is here and the berries are almost gone. The second crop of the season was an absolute bounty this year!

buRzqkA.jpg

What a great picture. Our crop has been quite poor this year, and our apple tree barely put out enough fruit for two crumbles. :(

Evening Guardians. Monday is done, and the weekend is now a day closer :D

jl2L59O.jpg

I like the matching wood there.:thumbsup: Maybe Wright's should start making slingshots. :)

Jack, my father would be turning in his grave if he knew what we are paying for working mans pleasures now.:( We had the transfer to decimal currency in 1966, so i will give some relevant examples in dollars. A ten ounce glass of beer-9 cents, now 5 dollars. A packet of cigarettes 25 cents, now 45-55 dollars, depending where you buy them, the paper 2-3 cents, now 1 dollar 90 cents-3 dollars on a sunday. He would be horrified.:mad::mad::mad:o_Oo_Oo_O

It was the same with decimilization (in 1971) here mate, and I am told with the change to the Euro in most of Europe, prices doubled overnight! o_O I remember my dad saying his father would berate him for paying 9 pence a pint, or whatever it was when he was young, because beer had cost pennies for centuries o_O :mad:

Chaps you need to look up "Western Wealth Redistribution". :mad::rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Happy Tuesday everyone. One day closer to the weekend!;)
XnCHw7m.jpg

Smashing pic :thumbsup: I hope those shovels still see some use.

As mentioned, I recently took a trip after my brother surprised me with tickets and airfare to go see Wardruna (a Norwegian folk band) at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheater outside of Denver, Colorado. It was a rather magical experience and despite the aforementioned tragedy that cast its pall over my trip, I am quite pleased that I got to go.

gU1ZAlh.jpg

WYw7zyy.jpg

I was able to get some fly fishing in after meeting up with another forum member here who showed me some of the ropes regarding such a sport. I was also able to tour the Coors Brewing facility in Golden, CO, (lot of terrific history there) and got to see some big skies, open country, and cool geological formations.

wj13G63.jpg

xaQi7qP.jpg

ussGVK4.jpg

Now for the tragedy - I hesitate to post this but I also know that the Guardians thread is as much a community thread as it is a knife thread and since I consider you all friends, I will share. I've perhaps posted about my pup, Saxon, maybe even one too many times. He was my best bud and I love him dearly. He fell ill shortly before I departed on my trip, exhibiting the same symptoms that he had back in May. Since he had pulled out of it and recovered fully despite the vets not knowing what was wrong, I had high hopes that he would do the same this time. Unfortunately, his condition continued to worsen and my wife took him to a neurologist and he passed on soon after. It turns out he had developed hydrocephalus for no reason that the doctors could fathom and that it was nothing short of a miracle that he didn't die back in May.

In any case, I got the news while I was at Red Rocks and I broke apart as I poured one out for Saxon. Needless to say, I am rather crushed.

Yupuu7Y.jpg

BTvq4Hu.jpg

In any case, this is still a knife thread and I've been carrying this Waynorth in Ebony today. Black seems a fitting color at the moment.

TDp8aG1.jpg

Thanks for sharing those pictures, it looked like a fantastic venue for a concert, and I didn't know Coors had started in 1813.
And my condolences on the loss of your Saxon, he looks like he was a handsome dog.:(

Happy "hump day" to all.:thumbsup:

LhXo9m9.jpg

Great shot, but whats 'hump day'?

Grand stag HHB SFO, David, and I always enjoy your photo reports on the monumental old cathedrals! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
- GT

Your welcome GT, I'll post another from a visit back in September.
Rochester Cathedral in Rochester in the county of Kent. Our second oldest cathedral founded in 604, it's mostly Norman era architecture.
Yg5olKX.jpg

ezj5ifi.jpg

That's beautiful. I've never seen one like it.

I'm going to read the recipe a couple more times, but I'm about ready to go with the bread.
jw92aF1.jpg
Thanks, Jer. Nor have I. That's the one that started my collection of three.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cool mug shot John ;) Skoll is looking very fine :) :thumbsup:

Beauty Ron :cool: :thumbsup:

Great pics Mark, I think I still have a couple of those wrist-rockets somewhere I think (Barnett Black Widows), but my first store-bought slingshot was an aluminium Milbro model, with square rubber, handed down to me by my youngest uncle :) I just got some tubular band sets to replace the pathetically short lengths on the stag slingshot I bought at the weekend, only to find that I need to enlarge one of the holes :rolleyes: It's great to see those two Ironwood '19's together, the wood has some beautiful character :thumbsup:

Nice story Mark, and beautiful pics :) :thumbsup:

Interesting Mark, and it's made for another great pic :thumbsup:

And another :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Looks like you have the ingredients for success Jer, good luck :) :thumbsup:

Nice Vince :) :thumbsup:

Found Monkey on my street after the school-run. Hoping mum or dad spots him coming the other way, or there'll be tears at bedtime! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

46cnEIN.jpg
Thanks for the compliments, Jack. Beautiful Ironwood on your SFO, no doubt about it. Thanks for taking care of me, so well.:thumbsup::cool: Yeah, it will be just as hard on the parents of the lost toy as it will on the child, in slightly different ways.;)

Hopefully this will at least be an improvement on how it came (though the rubber is a bit BRIGHT - must be an anti-zombie slingshot! ;) ) :thumbsup:

8XRm5cv.jpg
Looking good, Jack! They are plenty bright but it seems they all are. Lambfoot looks good with it. Is that your Ebony 2017 SFO?

Ramrodmb Ramrodmb - Great story of the “Ancient Patch.” Fine images, too.

Jack Black Jack Black - How many tears must be shed, before the parents buy their little darling another one. I’ve been that parent.:)

Good Morning Guardians.
7FF27D17-9FE1-49B8-8391-18E907734272_zpszlmqt4aq.jpeg
Thank you, Harvey. Nice of you to say and right back at you, my friend. Beautiful Damascus and stag there. Wow!:thumbsup: I can't figure the small object shaped like a bomb right below the knife.:cool:

Great pics Mark !
I just started shooting slingshots and get the sense that the technology in the bands has come a long way since the days of the wrist rocket style slingshots.
As a child I shot with a tree fork slingshot and square bands or surgical tubing.
Nice antler slingshots:thumbsup:

Very cool :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dan and thanks for the reply. It will be interesting to see the new ideas.

It's a good bonding experience. :D:thumbsup:

But I don't need to cut myself again!

I was careful... I held it by the blade so I always knew where it was. :D
I always throw a piece or two of masking tape down the edge when I work on them too.

Pàdruig Pàdruig - Dylan, so sorry for your loss of Saxon. That hurts. Glad you had the opportunity to know him.

What a great picture. Our crop has been quite poor this year, and our apple tree barely put out enough fruit for two crumbles. :(
Smashing pic :thumbsup: I hope those shovels still see some use.
Great shot, but whats 'hump day'?

Your welcome GT, I'll post another from a visit back in September.
Rochester Cathedral in Rochester in the county of Kent. Our second oldest cathedral founded in 604, it's mostly Norman era architecture.
Yg5olKX.jpg

ezj5ifi.jpg
Thanks David. Sorry to hear your crop was so bad this year.

I'm afraid the shovels don't see much use anymore. I have so many newer fiberglass handled shovels I wouldn't want to risk breaking these older ones. My new neighbor (20 something) offered to buy them and hang them on her wall as "Art". I told her I kinda liked them.:rolleyes:

"Hump Day" is referring to Wednesday, middle of the work week. If you make it through Wednesday it's said you are over the hump and on the downhill side towards the weekend.:thumbsup:

Another great Cathedral! Thanks for showing.:)

Last edited:
Happy Thursday, Guardians.:thumbsup:

The discussion of scissors a few days ago led me to hunt these up. The small Red pair is marked "Clauss USA". My Grandfather cut a penny in half with these many years ago after seeing someone else do it. They still cut paper cleanly. They were issued to all Bell telephone employees and I never saw him without a pair of these on his belt. Night and day.
The yellow pair marked "Wiss" look a lot like Chin's @Cambertree posted a while back.
Of course, pictured with the Jack Black Ironwood SFO's.
1J4j9Xf.jpg

Thank you all so much for the very kind words, they are all very much appreciated. I loved that boy and could never resist showing him off or talking about him really, he had such a great spirit.

I opted to carry one of my very favorites today, I don't think I have a better "Autumn" knife.

EC35RUY.jpg
Nice coloration in that stag Dylan.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Yg5olKX.jpg

ezj5ifi.jpg

Great pics David, I spent quite a bit of time in Kent when I was around 20, mainly in Maidstone, but I have never visited Rochester. As you know, I don't get out of Yorkshire much these days ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments, Jack. Beautiful Ironwood on your SFO, no doubt about it. Thanks for taking care of me, so well.:thumbsup::cool: Yeah, it will be just as hard on the parents of the lost toy as it will on the child, in slightly different ways.;)

Looking good, Jack! They are plenty bright but it seems they all are. Lambfoot looks good with it. Is that your Ebony 2017 SFO?

Thanks Mark, yes, that is the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot SFO in ebony. Monkey had gone today, so I just hope he went back to the right home :)

Happy Thursday, Guardians.:thumbsup:

The discussion of scissors a few days ago led me to hunt these up. The small Red pair is marked "Clauss USA". My Grandfather cut a penny in half with these many years ago after seeing someone else do it. They still cut paper cleanly. They were issued to all Bell telephone employees and I never saw him without a pair of these on his belt. Night and day.
The yellow pair marked "Wiss" look a lot like Chin's @Cambertree posted a while back.
Of course, pictured with the Jack Black Ironwood SFO's.
1J4j9Xf.jpg

That's incredible about the penny, sounds like just the sort of thing a granddad would do :D Nice history there my friend, and an excellent pic :) I picked up a nice pair of Wiss flower shears once, but gave them away :thumbsup:

D70OoQw.jpg

f7AP8ri.jpg

My Ashley's Choice SFO Lambsfoot is with me today :) Hope everyone is having a good one :thumbsup:

WXVV6bA.jpg

Regretfully I missed your post and just saw it now. My deepest condolences , Dylan.
Being a dog person myself I can relate a little.
Take some comfort in knowing that you gave Saxon a good life that was filled with love.
RIP Saxon...

I'm so sorry Dylan, for the loss with death of your Saxon dog's, I know what this is last year my cat Miko died and I was very unhappy.:(

Thanks for sharing those pictures, it looked like a fantastic venue for a concert, and I didn't know Coors had started in 1813.
And my condolences on the loss of your Saxon, he looks like he was a handsome dog.:(

Pàdruig Pàdruig - Dylan, so sorry for your loss of Saxon. That hurts. Glad you had the opportunity to know him.

Thank you so much, fellas, the support I've received here and elsewhere has been humbling yet very much appreciated. Saxon was a hound of the highest caliber and it will be impossible to replace him. He was a very good boy and I can only hope he is up to his usual antics in a far better place.

Nice coloration in that stag Dylan.

Thank you, Jack and Bill. The AC is such an excellent knife and I always enjoy carrying it. It was my knife of the year last year for very good reason.

Today finds me with yet another one of Jack's remarkable SFOs, again in Stag.

0851h4Q.jpg

Back