Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Nice one Jack. :thumbsup: I'm thinking of getting myself a Ghillie Kettle for a Christmas present.
https://www.ghillie-kettle.co.uk/

Great colours. I'd settle for just seeing some blue sky. :(

Well I'm not a happy chap. Myself and Jack may of mentioned once or twice that over here in the north of England it's barely stopped raining for about 2 months.
Last week I put my HHB in my car glovebox. Yesterday I went to get it out and found the blade covered in rust. :( The inside of the car was...damp to say the least, as I've not driven it since last Thursday and it's been sat outside.
Not the best picture but the shadow on the blade is all rust, not a patina, as I've barely used this knife.
8dvQ0BS.jpg

Thanks David, I looked at one or two other designs, but decided to get the original (in stainless), and have been very pleased with it :)

Darn it! Hate it when that happens! :mad: Flitz or oil on a green pad should sort it (you won't lose the etch) :thumbsup:

Congrats on getting that fantastic package from Dan, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Kudos to Dan for his thoughtfulness! :)
Jack, your AC looks like a perfect Apple Cutter! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phenomenal photo of your ironwood pair and the useful pocket wrench, Mark! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I've taken to carrying a 4" "crescent wrench" – kind of handy.

Black Betty always looks good, but she's a beauty queen atop a fresh loaf of bread! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats on that superb lambsfoot, ED; what a handsome knife! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Striking pic of Lucy showing off her redness! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Sounds like a nice set-up, @cudgee! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Does anyone know of a Sharpmaker-style rod system that offers angles less than 15˚ per side, say 12 or even 10 dps?

Enchanting ebony SFO, José! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Excellent photo of your AC meeting Linus, Ron! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for Linus' visit. ;)

I will, Jer. :rolleyes: That's a cool knife you've posed on the package of socks. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: But the label on the socks gave me pause: "Men Unisex" seems somewhat oxymoronic (although the meaning of "unisex" used to surprise me, too).

That's distinctive and delightful grain on your rosewood! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I agree 100%, Dan! :eek::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

What a herd of heavenly horn, Dylan! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I hope your son gets over the disappointment soon, John, and can anticipate his upcoming opportunity.
That ebony WCLF is superlative! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for your praise for my Lam Jack, Harvey. :)
That is a super-sweet photo of your stag HHB SFO!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the interesting info, Dave. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: We rent a place at Cedarville on Lake Huron on the south coast of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and Whitefish Point is on Lake Superior on the north coast, about 90 miles away. So if they've seen egrets at the Whitefish Point bird migration observatory, egrets could certainly be around the area we visit annually.

Love that monochrome pic of your knife and micrometer, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Splendid photo of your stag HHB SFO, Dan! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Got to admit it's (big ebony lambsfoot) getting better, it's getting better all the time! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (With apologies to The Beatles)

That is an elite lambsfoot, Dylan!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

David, I might have a more charitable opinion of snow if I experienced it in the small, short-lived doses that you describe! :eek::D
More fabulous church pics, even if this particular church isn't as majestic as the cathedrals you often visit! :cool::thumbsup::cool: How old are the headstones surrounding the church?

- GT

Thank you for all the kind words Gary :) :thumbsup:

David, I might have a more charitable opinion of snow if I experienced it in the small, short-lived doses that you describe! :eek::D
More fabulous church pics, even if this particular church isn't as majestic as the cathedrals you often visit! :cool::thumbsup::cool: How old are the headstones surrounding the church?

- GT

Lol! Aye, I've got to admit that one reason I like snow so much is that I derive a certain perverse pleasure from watching 70% of the UK population descend into a most bizarre state of pant wetting hysteria. :rolleyes:It's almost as entertaining as the snow itself. :)
The gravestones aren't that old. I spied a few that were late 18th century but most appeared to be mid-19th century onwards. It's still an active church so other parts of the graveyard are modern.
I'll just recharge my laptop then come back and post more pics.

Thanks David, I looked at one or two other designs, but decided to get the original (in stainless), and have been very pleased with it :)

Darn it! Hate it when that happens! :mad: Flitz or oil on a green pad should sort it (you won't lose the etch) :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for the advice Jack, I'll give that a go.:thumbsup: The picture is actually an after-shot after I'd soaked it in 3-1 oil and used a bit of 0000 wool, a toothbrush and a cloth, but hadn't tackled the etch directly as I didn't want to damage it.

Lol! Aye, I've got to admit that one reason I like snow so much is that I derive a certain perverse pleasure from watching 70% of the UK population descend into a most bizarre state of pant wetting hysteria. :rolleyes:It's almost as entertaining as the snow itself. :)
The gravestones aren't that old. I spied a few that were late 18th century but most appeared to be mid-19th century onwards. It's still an active church so other parts of the graveyard are modern.
I'll just recharge my laptop then come back and post more pics.

Thanks very much for the advice Jack, I'll give that a go.:thumbsup: The picture is actually an after-shot after I'd soaked it in 3-1 oil and used a bit of 0000 wool, a toothbrush and a cloth, but hadn't tackled the etch directly as I didn't want to damage it.

I find having a proper coat and a good pair of boots makes it even more entertaining! :D :thumbsup:

That must have been in a state David! :eek: With most of the old knives I clean up, I just use oil, a non-scratch pad, and some elbow grease David. The etch is deep and should be fine my friend. If you want to get it back to a polish, get yourself some Flitz :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, thought I'd give this Taylor's Eye Witness some pocket time :) Have a good day folks :thumbsup:

zBo58iD.jpg
Looking good, Jack.

Last week I put my HHB in my car glovebox. Yesterday I went to get it out and found the blade covered in rust. :( The inside of the car was...damp to say the least, as I've not driven it since last Thursday and it's been sat outside.
Not the best picture but the shadow on the blade is all rust, not a patina, as I've barely used this knife.
8dvQ0BS.jpg
that's too bad. I hope you can get it cleaned up without messing up the etching.

Light lunch ;)

Qg6t7g2.jpg
nice simple lunch, Jack. I've been taking simple lunches to work lately. Usually just a sandwich and an apple. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

The Demand Just Keeps Getting Stronger.
EYFVHLL.jpg
Quality lambs, indeed! :D:thumbsup:
Good Evening Guardians
Skoll is showing his good side. :D

Skoll is looking great.
Lambtastic ;) :thumbsup:

There's a video here taken several days ago :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, thought I'd give this Taylor's Eye Witness some pocket time :) Have a good day folks :thumbsup:

zBo58iD.jpg
That video is something, I hope the sheep got to higher ground. :eek:
Well I'm not a happy chap. Myself and Jack may of mentioned once or twice that over here in the north of England it's barely stopped raining for about 2 months.
8dvQ0BS.jpg
I hate when that happens. :mad: Sometimes just going over it with oil and a rag will do the job, but it can take a while and lots of rubbing. Don't forget to hit the inside of the backspring.
Got to admit it's (big ebony lambsfoot) getting better, it's getting better all the time! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (With apologies to The Beatles)
Thank you, GT.

Good morning, Guardians.
t334K8U.jpg

I will, Jer. :rolleyes: That's a cool knife you've posed on the package of socks. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: But the label on the socks gave me pause: "Men Unisex" seems somewhat oxymoronic (although the meaning of "unisex" used to surprise me, too).
I think it's like the way they describe things on the bay and at the lamasery: stainless steel sterling silver adult children's men's women's dogs' formal casual ...
I don't see what good it does them to come up in my search if they're not what I want.
It's gotten too cold for those shoe-top-height socks, and everything else I have leaves strangulation marks on me. So I thought I'd try diabetes socks, and these manage to stay up without strangling my ankles. And 12 pairs for $17 is pretty good, too.

Same knife, still saving the world:
ISVvhl8.jpg

Looking good, Jack.

that's too bad. I hope you can get it cleaned up without messing up the etching.

nice simple lunch, Jack. I've been taking simple lunches to work lately. Usually just a sandwich and an apple. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

Thank you John, hope you've settled into your new career now my friend :) I've just put a large pan of leek and potato soup on. I don't find it freezes very well, so I'll be having it for lunch tomorrow too :) Picked up some nice ciabatta bread earlier :thumbsup:

That video is something, I hope the sheep got to higher ground. :eek:

I hate when that happens. :mad: Sometimes just going over it with oil and a rag will do the job, but it can take a while and lots of rubbing. Don't forget to hit the inside of the backspring.

Thank you, GT.

Good morning, Guardians.
t334K8U.jpg

Yeah, me too! :eek: I'm not sure what they farm here, but I hope they don't have too much livestock :thumbsup:

skynews-uk-weather-flood-lincolnshire_4834417.jpg

Your ebony Big Un is looking swell Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Penelope Kieth was talking to a villager who was building a dam around her property because the developers upstream were creating too much runoff with their paving.
QxN7VSX.jpg

Nice yacht Jer :cool: I remember when I was a kid, being given one of a similar size by an old friend of my father's. That was around 1967, and it was 82 years old then. It was a beauty :thumbsup:

More fabulous church pics, even if this particular church isn't as majestic as the cathedrals you often visit!
- GT

St' Gregory's Minster is near the hamlet of Kirkdale in deepest North Yorkshire, betwixt the towns of Kirkbymoorside and Helmsley. 'Minster' is an Anglo-Saxon term which denotes a church were the monks went forth and 'Ministered' to the local populace. The most famous Minster in England is York Minster, but Minsters could be as small as York is large.
The church sits in a secluded valley; quiet today but it once would of been extremely busy as it also sits alongside the 'Thurkilssti' (Thurkil's Way), an ancient drovers track running down from Scotland to York.
QRk0jHu.jpg

JAVAum5.jpg

A ruined church existed here before but in 1050 Orm son of Gamal rebuilt the church. This event is recorded in the sundial (carved 1060?) that sits above the later plain Norman south doorway.
xwFHnKL.jpg

I said it's the oldest Anglo-Saxon carved writing in England; I'm not sure if I'm right about that actually but it is the longest Anglo-Saxon carved writing, which sits either side of the oldest Anglo-Saxon sundial.
bRNKFeb.jpg

It reads from the left panel to the right panel:
Orm Gamalson bought St' Gregory's Minster when it was all quite ruined and quite collapsed and he let it be made newly from the ground for Christ and St' Gregory in Edward's days King and in Tostig's days Earl.

Looking toward the Early English Chancel (rebuilt in the 19th century) you'll see the Early English Chancel arch built upon earlier columns, and the high roof line common to Anglo-Saxon churches.
la5gyFf.jpg

Looking west you see the characteristic high western arch of Anglo-Saxon churches. The entrance to Anglo-Saxon churches was usually in the west end and are believed to of been built high so to allow the passage of a Processional Cross during Mass. The south entrance common to most English churches appears to of been a later Norman design.
The entrance is now blocked by the tower, built as recent as 1827 to house the two bells, both of which are still in-situ and are over 750 years old.
x5w9QxW.jpg

Anglo-Saxon churches were normally simple affairs. Single aisle with few if any windows. The north aisle in this church was added in the 13th century. In the arcade are two grave slabs one of which is called the 'Ethelwald Stone' and is believed to be the grave slab of King Aethelwald of Deira on eof the two Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms of Northumberland.
ulUJ1AY.jpg

And just to keep this on track... :D
00JUjpU.jpg

Hope you enjoyed that folks.

St' Gregory's Minster is near the hamlet of Kirkdale in deepest North Yorkshire, betwixt the towns of Kirkbymoorside and Helmsley. 'Minster' is an Anglo-Saxon term which denotes a church were the monks went forth and 'Ministered' to the local populace. The most famous Minster in England is York Minster, but Minsters could be as small as York is large.
The church sits in a secluded valley; quiet today but it once would of been extremely busy as it also sits alongside the 'Thurkilssti' (Thurkil's Way), an ancient drovers track running down from Scotland to York.
QRk0jHu.jpg

JAVAum5.jpg

A ruined church existed here before but in 1050 Orm son of Gamal rebuilt the church. This event is recorded in the sundial (carved 1060?) that sits above the later plain Norman south doorway.
xwFHnKL.jpg

I said it's the oldest Anglo-Saxon carved writing in England; I'm not sure if I'm right about that actually but it is the longest Anglo-Saxon carved writing, which sits either side of the oldest Anglo-Saxon sundial.
bRNKFeb.jpg

Orm Gamalson bought St' Gregory's Minster when it was all quite ruined and quite collapsed and he let it be made newly from the ground for Christ and St' Gregory in Edward's days King and in Tostig's days Earl.

Looking toward the Early English Chancel (rebuilt in the 19th century) you'll see the Early English Chancel arch built upon earlier columns, and the high roof line common to Anglo-Saxon churches.
la5gyFf.jpg

Looking west you see the characteristic high western arch of Anglo-Saxon churches. The entrance to Anglo-Saxon churches was usually in the west end and are believed to of been built high so to allow the passage of a Processional Cross during Mass. The south entrance common to most English churches appears to of been a later Norman design.
The entrance is now blocked by the tower, built as recent as 1827 to house the two bells, both of which are still in-situ and are over 750 years old.
x5w9QxW.jpg

Anglo-Saxon churches were normally simple affairs. Single aisle with few if any windows. The north aisle in this church was added in the 13th century. In the arcade are two grave slabs one of which is called the 'Ethelwald Stone' and is believed to be the grave slab of King Aethelwald of Deira on eof the two Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms of Northumberland.
ulUJ1AY.jpg

00JUjpU.jpg

Incredible piece of history David, thank you :thumbsup:

I'm not carrying today as I'm not leaving the house but it's off to Klamath Falls, Oregon again tomorrow very early in the morning for more doctors and I'll be carrying this:

SFO 2019 Guardians Ironwood

lEttF3V.jpg

Good luck Ed :thumbsup:

That must have been in a state David! :eek: With most of the old knives I clean up, I just use oil, a non-scratch pad, and some elbow grease David. The etch is deep and should be fine my friend. If you want to get it back to a polish, get yourself some Flitz :thumbsup:

Yip it was, everything in the car was damp; road atlas, maps, clothes. I think I'll start putting some rice or some other desiccant in there. I sometimes don't use my car for days so it doesn't really dry out if say I've been sat in it wearing a wet coat.

Thanks chaps; I think I've half rescued it. Thanks Rachel, I gave it a really good going over. I'm just packing for a couple of days away and I think it'll be the knife I take so I can keep an eye on it.

Yeah, me too! :eek: I'm not sure what they farm here, but I hope they don't have too much livestock :thumbsup:

skynews-uk-weather-flood-lincolnshire_4834417.jpg

Crikey! That'll rust anything, not just your lambsfoots. :(

QRk0jHu.jpg

JAVAum5.jpg

xwFHnKL.jpg

bRNKFeb.jpg

la5gyFf.jpg

x5w9QxW.jpg

ulUJ1AY.jpg

00JUjpU.jpg

Enjoyed it much, David. Thanks.

Back